HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 69 of 103 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127788
09/27/10 01:32 AM
09/27/10 01:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, you have stated why you believe the SDA interpretation of prophecy is incorrect but you haven't suggested what you believe is the correct view. Do you subscribe to a specific interpretation?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127791
09/27/10 04:38 AM
09/27/10 04:38 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Considering that my premise here was merely that in my view the prophecy would not demand an anglophone united states to still hold true, I think I did what I came to do.

You see my questions and thouths, do you have better reasons to why you disagree with them than "Ellen did not interpret it that way"?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127794
09/27/10 01:45 PM
09/27/10 01:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, I do not see how prophecy could have been fulfilled by any other than Europeans fleeing persecution. Neither the Chinese nor the North American tribes were being persecuted because their faith stood in opposition to the pope. None other were persecuted for 1260 years beginning in 538 AD and ending in 1798 AD.

It would be nice if you would submit a view you subscribe to. It seems rather pointless to merely work to debunk a view you believe is incorrect, especially one that comes stamped with the seal of God's approval.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127797
09/27/10 06:08 PM
09/27/10 06:08 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Your response implies you understand precisely why God created FMAs ("free moral agents" AG 40.4)
I assume AG means some reference (Not in Ellen White's index) rather than you choosing an odd sounding term and then codifying it. How about, "Humans". Will that work for you? Or "beings", if you want to include angels and other worlds? "Entities" is another choice. But, in light of the topic, maybe you believe there are non-free moral or immoral agents out there?

...Anyway, just seems an odd term to be repeating and then to codify....
See, it throws your readers off the train of thought you are trying to convey....

Quote:
even though He knew exactly which ones would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire.
But this is an assumed premise which has not been established. This is what we are discussing.

Quote:
The truth is, however, God has not yet explained to us precisely why He did so. Neither has He explained why He didn't intervene and prevent the birth of such monsters as Caiaphas, Pilate, Nero, Charlemagne, Hitler, etc. Nor has He explained why He doesn't intervene and prevent innocent men, women, and children from being murdered, raped, abducted, etc. Or, perhaps you believe God does not have the right or power to intervene and prevent such things from happening? If so, I cannot imagine what the atheist would think of such an impotent god.

Do you believe God does have the right but yet doesn't intervene even though He does in other cases?

If I am understanding you correctly, the problem with the atheist is only that he doesn't understand that he doesn't understand. The point being, that understanding one's lack of understanding makes it ok for realizing the future has already been played out even though it appears to one that it's a pointless exercise. Is that the only reason why some react the way the atheist does and others react the way you do?

Quote:
I’m saying God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded
I don't know if I've ever heard of single-threaded or multi-threaded future before I heard Tom start talking about it. I'm not sure I fully understand his explanations. You seem to be saying the opposite of what Tom describes as single-threaded. Could you explain what multi-threaded means regarding how God knows exactly how the future is? And maybe contrast that with what single-threaded means or would mean.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127800
09/27/10 09:09 PM
09/27/10 09:09 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Thomas, I do not see how prophecy could have been fulfilled by any other than Europeans fleeing persecution.
What I am wondering is if this is a kin to how no one could see how bacteria could cause disease until Pasteur showed conclusively that they did, or how no one could imagen time being relative until Einstein introduced and proved the concept?
Quote:
Neither the Chinese nor the North American tribes were being persecuted because their faith stood in opposition to the pope.
So I assume that I wrote too much in my previous post so that you skipped reading it?
Quote:
None other were persecuted for 1260 years beginning in 538 AD and ending in 1798 AD.
Or, none other were both persecuted for 1260 years and were also spiritual ancestors to us.
Quote:

It would be nice if you would submit a view you subscribe to. It seems rather pointless to merely work to debunk a view you believe is incorrect, especially one that comes stamped with the seal of God's approval.
Learning, like faith, is a journey. You start out where you are and you either move or you stay put. Moving requires that you take a step away from where you were into something new.

So I have the theory, which is quite unlike your view, that history could have taken other paths while still ending up with a prophetically true ending. Of course this is entirely foreign to your closed future view. But what if?

So I look at history, and I look at the prophecy, and I ask questions, exploring really. And you have different choices. The one I would appreciate most is if you would then go exploring together with me, possibly giving both of us a deeper understanding and appreciation for the Word. What I heard you say, however, was more towards, 'stop wandering and get to your goal'. But sometimes the goal is much less interesting or even important than the process of getting there. The end of the road is not the point of interest for friends on a road trip. It is the journey itself.

And the stamp of the seal of Gods approval, I guess that means that it is written in stone and that there is nothing more to be learned about it? Just reading the correct answers to save us from the hassle of studying and wrestling with the Word. It was what brought Jacob/Israel the blessing, but now that we have the book of final answers for all our questions, why bother to look for ourselves anymore...

BTW, Id be interesting in your thoughts on the sermon I posted today.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127803
09/27/10 09:34 PM
09/27/10 09:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, AG stands for "Amazing Grace" ( an EGW compilation). The reasons why Jesus chooses to intervene or not to intervene have not been explained. The facts are, though, that He does indeed choose to intervene or not to intervene. He knows best, even if the atheist despises the whole concept. I believe single-threaded, as it relates to the future, means it can play out only one way; whereas, multi-threaded means it can play out many different ways. Since God knows the future like history it means, from His supernatural perspective, He knows the facts before, during, and after the fact. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously without destroying the natural flow of time and space. I suspect time and space did not exist prior to Jesus creating free moral agents (as opposed to animals and inanimate nature).

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127805
09/27/10 09:50 PM
09/27/10 09:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, it sounds like you disapprove of using the SOP as a shortcut to arrive at truth. Why should I spend my entire life discovering truths God has already clearly confirmed through the SOP? I feel like it would be a waste of time to take the time to verify what God has already verified and validated. I believe it is better to believe the truth my entire life rather than wasting my entire life discovering what God has already revealed and stamped with the seal of His approval. No, I'm not implying there is no more truth to discover. Eternity isn't long enough to exhaust God's storehouse of treasures.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127811
09/28/10 04:14 AM
09/28/10 04:14 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, yes, God is unique and special. He "inhabits eternity."

T: This means God is eternal.

M;I believe it means He exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously.

I looked at a few sites online and couldn't find anything that supported your idea. Instead I found things like the following:

Quote:
But in his classic work on this subject, Oscar Cullmann has contended that the New Testament 'does not make a philosophical, qualitative distinction between time and eternity. It knows linear time only…' He maintains, 'Primitive Christianity knows nothing of a timeless God. The "eternal" God is he who was in the beginning, is now, and will be in all the future, "who is, who was, and who will be" (Rev. 1:4).'As a result, God's eternity, says Cullmann, must be expressed in terms of endless time.(Christ and Time)

This is what I was saying. I didn't find anything contrary to what I was saying, or to support what you were saying. "God inhabits eternity" means "God is eternal."

Quote:
M: He is omnipresent. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously.

T: This doesn't make sense. The future hasn't happened yet.

For you it hasn’t happened yet. But for God the past, present, and future happen simultaneously.

Quote:
M: Therefore, He knows "the end from the beginning."

T: That's not why He knows the end from the beginning. He knows the end from the beginning for the same reason that we do, except that His knowledge is perfect and His ability to visualize is perfect. I'll give some examples. If you visualize closing a door, you know what will happen, even without closing the door. Or, to put it another way, before you close the door, you know what will happen. This is because of past experience, and knowledge of what happens when a door is closed. You can visualize the action of the door, the sound it makes, the sense of touch that would come from touching the knob, and so forth.

Here's another example. When you roll a die, you can visualize it's rolling around, and know it will come up with a number from 1 to 6. However, you don't know which, because you don't know all the variables involved involving the force of the roll, how the die is rolling around, how it bumps, and so forth. If you knew these things as well as God does, you could predict exactly which die would come up. God knows everything. He has perfect knowledge. He understands how things works, and He knows people's characters. He also has perfect visualization, so the future is as the past, in terms of His seeing it.

M:I agree God knows everything – “the end from the beginning” (which, by the way, isn’t the same thing as knowing everything from the beginning to the end). I also agree He can predict the outcome of certain things based solely on His knowledge of cause and consequence. However, the only way He can accurately know the specific choices specific people will make and the resulting specific outcomes thousands of years in advance is by knowing the future like history.

Why would you constrain God in this way? There's other ways He could know. For example He can know what civilizations are like.

Quote:
M: No one else possesses these supernatural abilities. Why? Because they are not God. He is not bound by our space-time continuum. Neither does God's unique and special abilities alter it.

T: In virtually every conversation you repeat this, yet it's been pointed out many times that this is not an issue. This is very curious. It makes me wonder, like Thomas asked you, if you're understanding what we're talking about. No one has suggested that God's abilities alter the future. Why would you think this is something worth mentioning once, let alone dozens of times?

M:You believe God knowing the future like history makes it single-threaded.

This is simple, MM.

1.If God knows the future to be like history, then
2.The future is like history (God isn't mistaken in how He knows things.
3.History is single-threaded.
4.Therefore the future is single-threaded.

Quote:
You also believe it makes it impossible for people to make choices resulting in different outcomes.

Sure. People can't change history.

Quote:
I’m saying these things are not true.

It seems clear to me that these can only not be true if one is illogical.

Quote:
I’m saying God can, and does, know the future like history without making it single-threaded or without making it impossible for people to make choices resulting in different outcomes.

This isn't reasoning from assumption to conclusion.

Quote:
His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously has absolutely no effect on time or space.

Why do you think it might?

Quote:
Things unfold normally as if God knew nothing or did not exist.

But this isn't the issue! The issue is, what is the nature of the future? Is it single-threaded or multi-threaded? Whatever it is, that is what God knows it to be, right? Or do you think God knows the future to be something that it is not? (Please answer).

Quote:
M: As you like to say, "The future is what it is." The future is totally and completely open. It can play out any number of ways.

T: Not under your presuppositions it can't. It's rather astounding to me that you don't perceive this.

M:The reason you are having a hard time comprehending my view is because you refuse to believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously, and that it has no effect whatsoever on how things unfold in time and space for the rest of us.

No, it's not that I have difficulty understanding your view, but your view is illogical; it's self-contradictory. You assert, on the one hand, that the future is open. On the other hand, you assert that God knows it to be not open. Unless you believe that God knows things to be different than they really are, this is self-contradictory. Do you understand this?

Even if God existed in the past, present, and future simultaneously, this wouldn't alter the fact of this self-contraction. Do you understand this?

The contradiction doesn't have to do with God's existence, but with asserting things which are mutually contradictory. Namely:

1.The future is open.
2.God knows the future as not open.

Quote:
M: We are free to choose as we please. Nothing is hindering us.

T: Again, it makes me think you're not understanding what's being said when you write this. This has never been an issue. Nobody thinks otherwise. There's no reason to make this point. Why *are* you making this point? Why do you make it so often?

M:Because you believe my view makes it impossible for people to makes choices resulting in different outcomes thus limiting their choices to ones that do not result in different outcomes.

This isn't what "We are free to choose as we please." means. Multiple options isn't the same concept as being able to do what one pleases.

Quote:
I’m saying this isn’t true. They are totally and completely free to choose as they please.

Same problem. Do you not understand the difference between:

1.A person is able to do what (s)he pleases.
2.A person can do either A or B.

Quote:
M: Especially not the fact God knows what we will choose and how things will unfold.

T: Why would this prevent us from doing what we please? Why do you think this is a point worth making?

M:See previous response.

I don't see that you responded to my question. All I saw was a confusion between the compatibilistic and incompatibilistic definitions of free will. You seem to be conflating these two concepts.

Quote:
M: Again, His knowledge is based on His supernatural ability to occupy the past, present, and future simultaneously.

T: No it's not. His knowledge is based on His intelligence, His ability to reason, and to visualize.

M:I disagree. This disagreement accounts for why you cannot grasp my view without wondering if I’m not grasping your view.

MM, I've never had the least difficulty comprehending your view. Your view is self-contradictory, which is what I've been trying to explain. As Thomas and others have pointed out, you believe in a god for whom squares can be circles, etc.

Even though God is omnipresent, and omniscient (or, better said, *because* He is such), the laws of logic an reason apply to Him, as much as to any other being.

Quote:
M: His being ubiquitous in no way alters our reality.

T: What do you mean? It's not "our reality." It's just reality.

M:Good point. “Reality” probably isn’t the best term to describe the difference between us and God as it relates to His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously and our inability to do the same thing. Perhaps “perception” is a better term. Things are different for God since He knows “the end from the beginning.” Being omnipresent in time and space makes Him omniscient. We can't imagine what that's like.

This gets to the point I've been making all along. Under your view, we do not really have free will (under the libertarian definition, that we can choose between different options, or to state it colloquially, that our choices "make a difference") but we merely have the "perception" that our choice makes a difference.

If the future really is single-threaded, and God knows it like history (which means it really is like history, and thus single-threaded) then our perception that our choice makes a difference is just a perception. But it is *God's* perception that corresponds to reality! Not ours.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127812
09/28/10 04:17 AM
09/28/10 04:17 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You left out the Portuguese.

But, I'm being picky. A very nice post.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127813
09/28/10 04:19 AM
09/28/10 04:19 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Thomas
MM:Neither the Chinese nor the North American tribes were being persecuted because their faith stood in opposition to the pope.

Thomas:So I assume that I wrote too much in my previous post so that you skipped reading it?

This is how your response struck me as well, MM. Thomas wrote a very well-reasoned, detailed, and rather long post, and you responded the same as before he wrote it. It gives the impression you didn't read his post.

Page 69 of 103 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!