HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 71 of 103 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127848
09/28/10 05:45 PM
09/28/10 05:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
We must make sure the control of the Tabernacle, for powerful testimonies are to be borne in it in favor of the truth. This is the word of the Lord to you and to others. Elder A. T. Jones will work in every possible way to get possession of this house, and if he can do so he will present in it theories that should never be heard. I know whereof I speak in this matter, and if you could have seen the end from the beginning, if you had believed the warnings that have been given, you would have moved understandingly. {11MR 214.4}

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127852
09/28/10 06:17 PM
09/28/10 06:17 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The atheist doesn't understand why God hasn't fully explained to us why He chose to create {beings} even though He knew which ones would sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire. He mistakenly concludes such a God must be cruel and uncaring. I can't imagine what the atheist would conclude about a god who created {beings} knowing some of them might sin and rebel and die in the lake of fire but hoping they wouldn't. I know what I think about such a god.
Quote:
The reasons why Jesus chooses to intervene or not to intervene have not been explained. The facts are, though, that He does indeed choose to intervene or not to intervene. He knows best, even if the atheist despises the whole concept.
So do you think if we basically told the atheist that he was ignorant of his ignorance he would go,
Praise the Lord! I had no idea. I will now be a Christian? Why the difference between the atheist and you? Is it only because you are aware of your ignorance and he isn't? Meaning the solution would be to tell the atheist he is ignorant. With the assumption many, if not most, atheists have reacted in a similar fashion, this could be an outreach tool.

The atheist can only know as much as God has revealed. Not knowing what God hasn't revealed doesn't make the atheist ignorant. The atheist rejects the concept of a god because he hates the idea that such a god chooses not to reveal certain things. He has no need for such a god. Do you agree God hasn't revealed things that cause atheist to reject Him?
Well, my question has to do with why does he reject God, but others don't. I would not agree that God hasn't revealed things to cause him to reject Him. I'm not sure that the atheist would concur with the idea that the reason he rejects God is due to him hating God hasn't shared with him certain things. An interesting side thought is, does God hold people responsible for that which He does not reveal? The point is, how does one reach the atheist?

Regarding ignorance, I had in mind, Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). Do you have another definition?

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I believe single-threaded, as it relates to the future, means it can play out only one way; whereas, multi-threaded means it can play out many different ways. Since God knows the future like history it means, from His supernatural perspective, He knows the facts before, during, and after the fact. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously without destroying the natural flow of time and space. I suspect time and space did not exist prior to Jesus creating free moral agents (as opposed to animals and inanimate nature).
Thanks for explaining that. So if multi-threaded means it can play out in different ways, would that mean God wouldn't know which way it will play out? Otherwise, if God knows the one way it will play out, how could it play out in different ways? Said another way, if God knows which way it will play out, it can, and only can, play out in that one way.

Before I address your comments please answer the following the question - Do you agree time and space did not exist as we know it before God created "free moral agents" (AG 40.4)?

Well, maybe God hasn't chosen to reveal the complexities of the time-space continuum to me and its existence or not before its current existence. But the question involves us, which does have the present concept of space and time.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127855
09/28/10 08:44 PM
09/28/10 08:44 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom, since you reject the idea that God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously there isn't anything I can say that will make sense to you. Ellen confirms my position:

No, she confirms my position! The only way God could exist simultaneously in the past, present and future is if the past, present and future simultaneously existed. You can understand that, can't you? I mean, that makes sense, doesn't it? How could it be otherwise?

Now let me how you, from the quotes you've cited, that she is agreeing with what I have said.

Quote:
He sees the end from the beginning. He knows all things. Past, present and future are all clear to Him. {MR926 34.1}

This is what I've been saying. God is omniscient. This doesn't say that God simultaneously exists in the past, present and future.

Quote:
He that ruleth in the heavens is the one who sees the end from the beginning--the one before whom the mysteries of the past and the future are alike outspread, and who, beyond the woe and darkness and ruin that sin has wrought, beholds the accomplishment of His own purposes of love and blessing. {PP 43.1}

This is the same thing I've been saying as well. It says that God sees the future as clearly as He sees the past. It doesn't say that the past, present and future simultaneously exist, or that God simultaneously exists in the past, present and future.

Quote:
I Am means an eternal presence; the past, present, and future are alike to God. He sees the most remote events of past history, and the far distant future with as clear a vision as we do those things that are transpiring daily. We know not what is before us, and if we did, it would not contribute to our eternal welfare. God gives us an opportunity to exercise faith and trust in the great I AM (MS 5a, 1895). {1BC 1099.5}

Again, this is exactly what I've been saying, and NOT what you've been saying. I *said* that the past, present, and future being like to God meant that He sees the future as clearly as the past. This is *exactly* what she's saying here. She is NOT saying that God *exists* in the past, present and future simultaneously, but that He sees these with a clear vision.

Quote:
God always has been. He is the great I AM. The psalmist declares, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God." Psalm 90:2. He is the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity. "I am the Lord, I change not," He declares. With Him there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. He is "the same yesterday, and to day and for ever." Hebrews 13:8. He is infinite and omnipresent. No words of ours can describe His greatness and majesty. {FLB 42.3}

And, once again, this is making the same point I made. I *said* that God "inhabiteth eternity" means that God is eternal, which is just what she says here. Just look at the topic sentence of the paragraph: "God has always been." The whole point of the paragraph, from beginning to end, is that God is eternal.

The rest of the quotes are like the above, making the same points I've been making. No quote says that the past, present and future exist simultaneously, or that God exists simultaneously in the past, present and future. To assert this doesn't even make sense. Or, more accurately, the only way it could make sense is if the past, present, and future were simultaneous, in which case time wouldn't exist.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127864
09/29/10 03:11 PM
09/29/10 03:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Well, my question has to do with why does he reject God, but others don't. I would not agree that God hasn't revealed things to cause him to reject Him. I'm not sure that the atheist would concur with the idea that the reason he rejects God is due to him hating God hasn't shared with him certain things. An interesting side thought is, does God hold people responsible for that which He does not reveal? The point is, how does one reach the atheist? Regarding ignorance, I had in mind, Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). Do you have another definition?

All atheists reject the concept of a god. There is no limit to the reasons why. But they boil down to selfishness. No, God does not hold us responsible for light He hasn't revealed. A good way to reach atheists is to be Christlike. I agree with your definition of ignorance. The reasons why atheists are ignorant varies from person to person.

M: I believe single-threaded, as it relates to the future, means it can play out only one way; whereas, multi-threaded means it can play out many different ways. Since God knows the future like history it means, from His supernatural perspective, He knows the facts before, during, and after the fact. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously without destroying the natural flow of time and space. I suspect time and space did not exist prior to Jesus creating free moral agents (as opposed to animals and inanimate nature).

K: Thanks for explaining that. So if multi-threaded means it can play out in different ways, would that mean God wouldn't know which way it will play out? Otherwise, if God knows the one way it will play out, how could it play out in different ways? Said another way, if God knows which way it will play out, it can, and only can, play out in that one way.

M: Before I address your comments please answer the following the question - Do you agree time and space did not exist as we know it before God created "free moral agents" (AG 40.4)?

K: Well, maybe God hasn't chosen to reveal the complexities of the time-space continuum to me and its existence or not before its current existence. But the question involves us, which does have the present concept of space and time.

You asked, "If God knows which way it will play out, it can, and only can, play out in that one way?" Here's another question, Does why and how God knows the future like history make any difference? I believe it does. His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously does not in the least alter or change our time-space continuum. Things unfold and play out as if God were bound by our natural laws the same as us. His knowing so changes nothing. It is just one of many the mysteries we cannot fathom. It's no different than not being able to explain how God can everywhere at the same time.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127874
09/29/10 07:19 PM
09/29/10 07:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
And, once again, this is making the same point I made. I *said* that God "inhabiteth eternity" means that God is eternal, which is just what she says here.

The problem is the definition of eternity. If we don't even know how to define time, how are we going to define eternity, much less understand it?

Quote:
No quote says that the past, present and future exist simultaneously, or that God exists simultaneously in the past, present and future. To assert this doesn't even make sense. Or, more accurately, the only way it could make sense is if the past, present, and future were simultaneous, in which case time wouldn't exist.

Or if God existed out of time, which is Augustine's view. It's interesting that Augustine says God is an eternal present, and Ellen White uses a very similar expression referring to Him - she says He is "an eternal presence." As someone said, we can never truly say, "I Am", for the moment we say it the split second we call the present has already become the past.
What you are affirming, Tom, is that God is subject to time, like us. If He is not subject to space, why does He have to be subject to time? Aren't both His creatures?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127877
09/29/10 08:18 PM
09/29/10 08:18 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T:And, once again, this is making the same point I made. I *said* that God "inhabiteth eternity" means that God is eternal, which is just what she says here.

R:The problem is the definition of eternity. If we don't even know how to define time, how are we going to define eternity, much less understand it?

The statement is pointing out there was never a time when God did not exist, nor will there be a time when He does not exist.

Quote:
T:
No quote says that the past, present and future exist simultaneously, or that God exists simultaneously in the past, present and future. To assert this doesn't even make sense. Or, more accurately, the only way it could make sense is if the past, present, and future were simultaneous, in which case time wouldn't exist.

R:Or if God existed out of time, which is Augustine's view. It's interesting that Augustine says God is an eternal present, and Ellen White uses a very similar expression referring to Him - she says He is "an eternal presence." As someone said, we can never truly say, "I Am", for the moment we say it the split second we call the present has already become the past.
What you are affirming, Tom, is that God is subject to time, like us.

I'm affirming that God experiences time, and His communications to us reflect this.

Quote:
If He is not subject to space, why does He have to be subject to time? Aren't both His creatures?

"Subject to" is not the concept I'm conveying. "Exists in" is the concept. God exists in time and space.

Also, the other idea I was expressing is that the past already happened (for God, as well as man), the present is happening now (for God, as well as man), and the future has not yet happened, but will happen, (for both God and man).

Or, more simply, the future has not yet happened yet. It is fundamentally different in character than the past, because the future includes possibilities (as well as certainties), whereas the past does not (there are no possibilities in the past; just what happened).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127878
09/29/10 10:07 PM
09/29/10 10:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
Here's another question, Does why and how God knows the future like history make any difference? I believe it does. His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously does not in the least alter or change our time-space continuum.

Your first sentence says it makes a difference, while your second sentence looks to be saying that it doesn't.

Quote:
Things unfold and play out as if God were bound by our natural laws the same as us.

You mean to us, or to God? This can only mean to us. So your idea is that the past, present and future don't really exist to God as they do for us. That is, for God, there is no past, present, or future. That's what you're saying, right? But the fact that there isn't a past, present, or future for God doesn't mean these things don't exist for us. This is your point, right?

The problem here isn't with what God knows or doesn't know, but with what is or is not. That is, does the past, present, and future really exist? (in terms of one happening after the other). Or are they simultaneous?

Quote:
His knowing so changes nothing.

God knows things as they are. The issue is not, and never has been, whether God's knowing something changes what the thing He knows is like. One can only wonder why you feel constrained to keep repeating this.

Quote:
It is just one of many the mysteries we cannot fathom.

That's God's knowing something doesn't change it is not an unfathomable mystery. It's just what one would expect.

Quote:
It's no different than not being able to explain how God can everywhere at the same time.

It is different. "Everywhere at the same time" is different than "Everytime at the same time."

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127886
09/29/10 11:18 PM
09/29/10 11:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree with Rosangela. Time and space are creations that serve Him - not the other way around. God is no more bound by time than He is by space. They are fundamentally inseparable. You are unwilling to believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously therefore you cannot believe He knows the future like history. Your view of time does not permit you to believe God exists in and out of time, that He is not bound by time or space, that the past, present, and future already exist in time and space.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127887
09/29/10 11:23 PM
09/29/10 11:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, how do we measure time? It is based solely on earth's revolution on its axis and its path around the sun? Or, does it include our heart beats? For example, pretend people are in a spacecraft speeding away from earth into space. How would they measure time?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127888
09/29/10 11:36 PM
09/29/10 11:36 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I agree with Rosangela.

Regarding what?

Quote:
Time and space are creations that serve Him - not the other way around.

This is a red herring. No one has suggested that God serves time and space. I said that God exists in time and space, and that He communicates to us in ways which express this. I've denied that the past, present, and future exist simultaneously.

Quote:
God is no more bound by time than He is by space.

The fact that God exists in space does not mean God is bound by space. The same is true regarding time.

Quote:
They are fundamentally inseparable.

What are?

Quote:
You are unwilling to believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously therefore you cannot believe He knows the future like history.

It's not that I'm "unwilling" to believe God exists simultaneously in the past, present and future, but I believe this idea of yours is incorrect. There's no evidence in inspiration that this is the case, and it would mean that the past, present, and future exist simultaneously, which seems clear to me would mean that time doesn't exist.

Quote:
Your view of time does not permit you to believe God exists in and out of time,

I have said nothing about this. You have not the least reason to assert this, that I'm aware of. If you're aware of some reason for asserting this, please mention it.

Quote:
that He is not bound by time or space,

Nor this. Same comment.

Quote:
that the past, present, and future already exist in time and space.

This is the real issue! Yes, I completely disagree with this.

So it is your belief that the future already exists? That's an interesting idea. What does this mean?

Page 71 of 103 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!