HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 73 of 103 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127930
10/01/10 01:12 PM
10/01/10 01:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: I believe single-threaded, as it relates to the future, means it can play out only one way; whereas, multi-threaded means it can play out many different ways. Since God knows the future like history it means, from His supernatural perspective, He knows the facts before, during, and after the fact. God occupies the past, present, and future simultaneously without destroying the natural flow of time and space. I suspect time and space did not exist prior to Jesus creating free moral agents (as opposed to animals and inanimate nature).

K: Thanks for explaining that. So if multi-threaded means it can play out in different ways, would that mean God wouldn't know which way it will play out? Otherwise, if God knows the one way it will play out, how could it play out in different ways? Said another way, if God knows which way it will play out, it can, and only can, play out in that one way.

M: Before I address your comments please answer the following the question - Do you agree time and space did not exist as we know it before God created "free moral agents" (AG 40.4)?

K: Well, maybe God hasn't chosen to reveal the complexities of the time-space continuum to me and its existence or not before its current existence. But the question involves us, which does have the present concept of space and time.

M: You asked, "If God knows which way it will play out, it can, and only can, play out in that one way?" Here's another question, Does why and how God knows the future like history make any difference? I believe it does. His ability to exist in the past, present, and future simultaneously does not in the least alter or change our time-space continuum. Things unfold and play out as if God were bound by our natural laws the same as us. His knowing so changes nothing. It is just one of many the mysteries we cannot fathom. It's no different than not being able to explain how God can everywhere at the same time.

If multi-threaded means it can play out in different ways, but yet God knows which way it plays out, then wouldn't it be playing out in one way, that is, single-threaded? I think what you are trying to say is that all the following could be true but you chose one of them to be true:
  • Single threaded - God does not know the future.
  • Single threaded - God does know the future.
  • Multi-threaded - God does not know the future.
  • Multi-threaded - God does know the future.
I didn't follow where you say that you believe it does make a difference that God knows the future like history and then you say His knowing does not alter nor changes nothing.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127932
10/01/10 03:41 PM
10/01/10 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you believe God is everywhere simultaneously? If so, does it mean space does not exist? And, does it mean God is an immaterial (non-physical) entity? Or, do you believe God can only be in one place at a time? If so, in what sense is He omnipresent?

Can time and space exist independent of one another? Or, are they inseparably tied together?

By "class of people" do you mean God does not know hundreds of years in advance specifically who will legislate and enforce Sunday laws?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127933
10/01/10 03:55 PM
10/01/10 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, do you believe God exists everywhere simultaneously? If so, why don't you believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously? Do you believe time and space exist, function independently?

I realize you believe I have no reason to believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without making the future single-threaded. You are, of course, welcome to your opinion. I would be interested in why you think God knew 300 hundred years in advance Josiah would do what he did. See passage below.

1 Kings
13:1 And, behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the LORD unto Bethel: and Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense.
13:2 And he cried against the altar in the word of the LORD, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the LORD; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.

2 Kings
23:15 Moreover the altar that [was] at Bethel, [and] the high place which Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, had made, both that altar and the high place he brake down, and burned the high place, [and] stamped [it] small to powder, and burned the grove.
23:16 And as Josiah turned himself, he spied the sepulchres that [were] there in the mount, and sent, and took the bones out of the sepulchres, and burned [them] upon the altar, and polluted it, according to the word of the LORD which the man of God proclaimed, who proclaimed these words.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127934
10/01/10 04:35 PM
10/01/10 04:35 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, do you believe God is everywhere simultaneously?

I believe God is omnipresent. I don't think saying "simultaneously" adds anything.

Quote:
If so, does it mean space does not exist?

Time would not exist if the past, present and future were simultaneous. You're really mixing things up here (I'm meaning, mixing different concepts together). If you want to come up with a space analogy, "simultaneous" isn't the way to go about that. It would be a bit tricky, but it would have to involve something analogous, like saying that all of space exists in only one point. So if you made an assertion which was equivalent to that, then one could rightly conclude that space does not exist.

Quote:
And, does it mean God is an immaterial (non-physical) entity?

What is "it"?

Quote:
Or, do you believe God can only be in one place at a time?

God is everywhere at one moment of time, and then everywhere in the next moment of time.

Quote:
If so, in what sense is He omnipresent?

He is omnipresent in the sense that at any point in time He is everywhere.

Quote:
Can time and space exist independent of one another? Or, are they inseparably tied together?

It really depends upon how you define things. But, in terms of our discussion, they key point I've been making is that events are sequential, and this is true for God as well.

Quote:
By "class of people" do you mean God does not know hundreds of years in advance specifically who will legislate and enforce Sunday laws?

He knows all the possible ways this can happen. For example, as early as 1859 EGW wrote that Christ could have come. Had He come then, God knows how this would have happened. Christ could have come in the 1888 era. Things were actually starting to happen then, and God knew what would have happened. Similarly for any time when it was or has been or will be possible for Christ's coming.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127935
10/01/10 04:59 PM
10/01/10 04:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's a response to the 1 Kings 13/2 Kings 23 passages:

The Lord proclaims against the pagan alter of Jeroboam, “O altar, altar, thus says the Lord: ‘A son shall be born to the house of David, Josiah by name; and he shall sacrifice on you the priests of the high places who offer incense on you, and human bones shall be burned on you.’ He gave a sign the same day, saying, ‘This is the sign that the Lord has spoken: The altar shall be torn down, and the ashes that are on it shall be poured out.’” (Cf. 2 Kings 22:1; 23:15–16)

The Lord was growing impatient with the ever-increasing idolatrous practices of the Israelites. He therefore decreed that it would come to a violent end in a subsequent generation by a descendant of the house of David. As a proof that Yahweh, not an idol, is the sovereign Lord of history, Yahweh surrounded this predetermined destruction with certain prophetic signs. He told the Israelites ahead of time how this destruction would occur and even the name of the one who would initiate it: Josiah (meaning, “Yahweh supports”).

The passage clearly expresses that at this point God had resolved to control, and thus foreknow, certain aspects of the future. But the passage does not suggest that everything about the future is foreknown as a settled fact, or even that the portion that would come to pass (which the Lord at this point foreknew) was always foreknown by God.

It is important to keep in mind that the sovereign Lord of history can determine whatever he wants to about the future and thus foreknow it. He wisely balances the freedom he grants his human subjects with his providential control as he guides the world to achieve his overall objectives. Thus, for example, though Josiah’s father Amon remained free in other respects, he was apparently not free to choose any name other than “Josiah” for his son, for this had been divinely determined. And though Josiah remained a free agent, at least one thing about his future was absolutely certain: he would destroy the pagan altar and end the pagan priesthood that had been plaguing Israel.

Many people who are accustomed to the classical view of divine foreknowledge initially have difficulty with the notion of a partly settled and partly open future. It seems to them that it must be all one way or the other. This is why they are inclined to interpret biblical passages which depict God as knowing some definite things about the future as providing evidence that God has exhaustive definite knowledge of the future.

As we argued earlier, however, neither the Bible nor our experience supports such an all-or-nothing attitude. The biblical accounts that depict God as knowing aspects of the future are balanced by accounts that depict God as not knowing aspects of the future. And we know from our own experience that all the free choices we make are made in the context of many other things that are already settled. We are not able to choose the initial circumstances of our life, our basic physical make up and personality, and a number of things that happen to us along life’s way. But within this determined context there are many things we can choose—such as how we will respond to these factors that are outside of our control.

For this reason we ought to have little trouble affirming that God could control and foreknow that a future king named Josiah would destroy paganism in the land without concluding that everything about the future is settled and that God eternally knows it as such. To return to the chess analogy, the sovereign, supremely intelligent, cosmic chessmaster has declared, “In no more than seven moves I shall take your bishop.” You can of course still move however you wish. But this much of the future game has already been decided.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127936
10/01/10 05:35 PM
10/01/10 05:35 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I realize you believe I have no reason to believe God exists in the past, present, and future simultaneously without making the future single-threaded.
Whether God exists or not in the past, present, and future simultaneously isn't what I'm asking. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by multi-threaded when what you describe doesn't match what you define it to be. Am I to assume I am correct in you agree that all four possibilities I listed are possible, just that you believe one is reality?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127937
10/01/10 05:42 PM
10/01/10 05:42 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Tom
For example, as early as 1859 EGW wrote that Christ could have come. Had He come then, God knows how this would have happened. Christ could have come in the 1888 era. Things were actually starting to happen then, and God knew what would have happened. Similarly for any time when it was or has been or will be possible for Christ's coming.

Would it follow that Christ could not have come before then? Meaning He knew some things weren't possible, others were, but the future is multi-threaded which can play out in different ways. It ended up turning out in a different way than the way in which He would come. Which God couldn't have known, or He couldn't have come then. (Don't know how to word that last as it could be ambiguous. I mean it that, Ellen White wouldn't have been saying He could have come if He knew He wasn't)

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127938
10/01/10 06:36 PM
10/01/10 06:36 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kland
Would it follow that Christ could not have come before then?

Not sure what you're asking here.

Quote:
Meaning He knew some things weren't possible, others were, but the future is multi-threaded which can play out in different ways. It ended up turning out in a different way than the way in which He would come. Which God couldn't have known, or He couldn't have come then. (Don't know how to word that last as it could be ambiguous. I mean it that, Ellen White wouldn't have been saying He could have come if He knew He wasn't)

Yes, regarding the last sentence. I think that's exactly what that means.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127946
10/01/10 08:07 PM
10/01/10 08:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Tom, do you believe God is everywhere simultaneously?

T: I believe God is omnipresent. I don't think saying "simultaneously" adds anything.

M: If so, does it mean space does not exist?

T: Time would not exist if the past, present and future were simultaneous. You're really mixing things up here (I'm meaning, mixing different concepts together). If you want to come up with a space analogy, "simultaneous" isn't the way to go about that. It would be a bit tricky, but it would have to involve something analogous, like saying that all of space exists in only one point. So if you made an assertion which was equivalent to that, then one could rightly conclude that space does not exist.

I'm talking about space - not time. Please reread my comments and questions thus far (this post). How can God be everywhere at once? Is He everywhere at once throughout the Universe? Or, just on earth?

Quote:
M: And, does it mean God is an immaterial (non-physical) entity?

T: What is "it"?

By "it" I mean the fact God is omnipresent. Since God is everywhere at once does it mean He is non-physical? Otherwise, how can He be physically present everywhere at once? Such a physical presence would prevent sunlight from reaching the planet, and anything else on earth from moving around.

Quote:
M: Can time and space exist independent of one another? Or, are they inseparably tied together?

T: It really depends upon how you define things. But, in terms of our discussion, they key point I've been making is that events are sequential, and this is true for God as well.

So, according to your view, God is limited to experiencing time like us. Is that correct?

Quote:
M: By "class of people" do you mean God does not know hundreds of years in advance specifically who will legislate and enforce Sunday laws?

T: He knows all the possible ways this can happen. For example, as early as 1859 EGW wrote that Christ could have come. Had He come then, God knows how this would have happened. Christ could have come in the 1888 era. Things were actually starting to happen then, and God knew what would have happened. Similarly for any time when it was or has been or will be possible for Christ's coming.

I'm not sure how your response answers my question. Are you saying God does not know exactly who (the actual individuals) will be involved in legislating and enforcing Sunday laws, and that He doesn't precisely when it will happen?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127948
10/01/10 09:35 PM
10/01/10 09:35 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Tom, do you believe God is everywhere simultaneously?

T: I believe God is omnipresent. I don't think saying "simultaneously" adds anything.

M: If so, does it mean space does not exist?

T: Time would not exist if the past, present and future were simultaneous. You're really mixing things up here (I'm meaning, mixing different concepts together). If you want to come up with a space analogy, "simultaneous" isn't the way to go about that. It would be a bit tricky, but it would have to involve something analogous, like saying that all of space exists in only one point. So if you made an assertion which was equivalent to that, then one could rightly conclude that space does not exist.

M:I'm talking about space - not time.

I know, and your question didn't make sense, which I was trying to explain. That is, you asked, "If so, does it mean space does not exist?" Your thinking, in asking this question, was that if what I said was true, that time would not exist if the past, present and future existed simultaneously, then why wouldn't the same be true of space. But for this question to make sense, you'd have to have something analogous to simultaneality, for want of a better term, that would apply to space, as well as some way of linking space that would be analogous to how time is linked.

Quote:
Please reread my comments and questions thus far (this post). How can God be everywhere at once? Is He everywhere at once throughout the Universe? Or, just on earth?

Everywhere.

Quote:
M: And, does it mean God is an immaterial (non-physical) entity?

T: What is "it"?

M:By "it" I mean the fact God is omnipresent. Since God is everywhere at once does it mean He is non-physical? Otherwise, how can He be physically present everywhere at once? Such a physical presence would prevent sunlight from reaching the planet, and anything else on earth from moving around.

Not necessarily. The atmosphere, which is physical, exists, and it doesn't prevent sunlight from reaching the planet. However, John 4 tells us that God is a spirit (or "God is spirit").

Quote:
M: Can time and space exist independent of one another? Or, are they inseparably tied together?

T: It really depends upon how you define things. But, in terms of our discussion, they key point I've been making is that events are sequential, and this is true for God as well.

So, according to your view, God is limited to experiencing time like us. Is that correct?

No. I've said that God experiences time, and His communications to us reflect this.

Quote:
M: By "class of people" do you mean God does not know hundreds of years in advance specifically who will legislate and enforce Sunday laws?

T: He knows all the possible ways this can happen. For example, as early as 1859 EGW wrote that Christ could have come. Had He come then, God knows how this would have happened. Christ could have come in the 1888 era. Things were actually starting to happen then, and God knew what would have happened. Similarly for any time when it was or has been or will be possible for Christ's coming.

M:I'm not sure how your response answers my question. Are you saying God does not know exactly who (the actual individuals) will be involved in legislating and enforcing Sunday laws, and that He doesn't precisely when it will happen?

If Christ could have come at different times, then there could not be one time when Christ could come. That would be a contradiction. If there is not one specific time when Christ can come, then God cannot know that as a fact. God can only know as facts things that are facts.

So is it a fact that Christ could have come before now? If so, then God knew that. So God knows all the times that Christ could/can possibly come.

Page 73 of 103 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!