HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,218
Posts195,998
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 21
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #128709
11/08/10 07:07 PM
11/08/10 07:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No one willfully rejecting the Holy Spirit is acting in unbelief.

Is this really what you meant to say? I would say the reverse. Everybody who willfully rejects the Holy Spirit is acting in unbelief.

Quote:
They are fully aware of what they are doing. But they are not guilty of sinning until the instant after they stop abiding in Jesus.

I don't see how one could willfully reject the Holy Spirit without sinning. The Holy Spirit is God. Willfully disobeying God is sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #128719
11/09/10 12:56 AM
11/09/10 12:56 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Do you see that "sinful nature" is different than "sinful flesh"?

I think they are different. "Flesh" is one aspect of "nature." So "nature" encompasses more.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #128720
11/09/10 01:04 AM
11/09/10 01:04 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted.—Medical Ministry, 181.

Logic demands that if Christ took "our sinful nature," Jesus could not have taken a different "sinful nature" than we have, since it is, after all, "our sinful nature."

Are you sure? Let's dig deeper.

Can He still succor us today?

Does He have the same nature today as we do? Or is His nature now something completely different?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #128721
11/09/10 02:15 AM
11/09/10 02:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
In what ways do you think our connection differs from the connection A&E enjoyed before the Fall? And, how does it differ from the connection Jesus had while here in the "likeness of sinful flesh"? also, how does it relate to RBF?

I know that R already answered this, but here's my take:

A&E's pre-fall connection with God was direct and uninterrupted.

One difference is that our connection is often interrupted. This does not have to be, but it is. That's a big difference.

But a bigger difference is that our connection is mediated. They had direct communication back then. Today, all communication between Heaven and Earth is mediated through Jesus. No matter how holy a person is, he still must go through Jesus.

By this I do not mean that He is some kind of divine telephone operator, patching calls from here to there. Rather, it is in the sense typified by the incense of the sanctuary system. Our prayers must be mixed with His merit in order to be acceptable.

Jesus had a connection like pre-fall A&E - direct and uninterrupted.

How does this relate to RBF? Our righteousness, like our connection to God, is also mediated. It is by Christ's righteousness that we are righteous. And we lay hold of His righteousness by faith, not by any merit we have earned. Our righteousness is mediated through a third party.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: asygo] #128727
11/09/10 04:33 PM
11/09/10 04:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: asygo
T:Do you see that "sinful nature" is different than "sinful flesh"?

a:I think they are different. "Flesh" is one aspect of "nature." So "nature" encompasses more.

I think it depends on the context. "Nature" (or even "sinful nature") means different things, depending on the context. I think "sinful flesh" has a more fixed meaning.

I agree (depending on the context) that "sinful nature" can encompass more.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #128728
11/09/10 04:45 PM
11/09/10 04:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
EGW:He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted.—Medical Ministry, 181.

Logic demands that if Christ took "our sinful nature," Jesus could not have taken a different "sinful nature" than we have, since it is, after all, "our sinful nature."

a:Are you sure? Let's dig deeper.

Can He still succor us today?

Does He have the same nature today as we do? Or is His nature now something completely different?

I'm not following the logic here. I said that Christ must have taken "our sinful nature" since the statement says that He took "our sinful nature." What would the questions you're asking have to do with that?

That is, I said that Christ took our sinful nature, because of the statement saying He took "our sinful nature," and you then asked, "Are you sure?" and asked some questions regarding Christ's present human nature and His ability to succor us. Let's assume everyone agrees that Christ has a glorified human nature, and He is able to succor us now, since He can still remember what things were like when He was here in the flesh. Why would the question "Are you sure?" follow?

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #128735
11/09/10 05:18 PM
11/09/10 05:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: To me, "sinful flesh" or "sinful nature" involves the whole being, since the body is just the seat of the mind. The mind is the main component of what is sinful in us.
T: I don't think "sinful flesh" involves the mind, since the flesh does not involve the mind.

When the Bible speaks of living “in the flesh,” I don’t think this involves just sins related to the body. Besides, the Bible also speaks of the “carnal mind.” In fact, both words have the same root. “Flesh” is the name and “carnal” (or fleshly) is the adjective: sarx – sarkikos. So, although “flesh” is sometimes related just to the body, most of the times the word is used in a sense which also involves the mind.
Regardless of how one understands the word “flesh,” however, EGW uses many times “sinful nature” and “fallen nature” to refer to what Christ took. And “nature” certainly involves more than the physical. One of the main characteristics of our fallen nature is its sinful tendencies, and this, of course, goes beyond the physical and encompasses the mind (character). However, unlike us, Christ was born with a mind different from ours.

Quote:
R:EGW says children inherit some qualities of mind from their parents which are of a low order. Perhaps this means defective neural pathways. But neural pathways can be rerouted.
T: It depends upon whether we're talking about DNA or not, doesn't it? You're not suggesting one's DNA gets rewired, are you? EGW talks about how we won't have holy flesh this side of heaven, and that as long as we live we'll have battles to overcome. These are the battles that Christ fought and overcame, as He also did not have holy flesh.

I don’t know how these things work. But EGW says clearly that these hereditary traits/tendencies can be transformed:

Natural and hereditary traits of character will be transformed. The indwelling of His spirit will enable them to reveal Christ's likeness. {5MR 132.3}

Quote:
It can't be both. If it's "yes," that means "yes, it's 'unlike the unconverted.'" as opposed to "like the unconverted."

confused
I said, “I don't believe that the Christian, like the unconverted, can be tempted purely from within, without an external stimulus.”
Another way of saying this would be, “I don’t believe that the Christian can be tempted purely from within, like the unconverted [can].”
I don’t see what is wrong here. As I see it, it wouldn’t make sense to say, “I don’t believe that the Christian, unlike the unconverted...”

Quote:
Assuming this is what you mean, I disagree, for two reasons. One is that the converted have memories of that past, which can cause temptations. Secondly is the converted still have sinful flesh.

It’s Satan’s suggestions which make capital of these memories. He may keep bringing them back to your mind. He may make sinful suggestions based on them.

Quote:
For example, consider someone who used to smoke. They think about some activity which used to be linked with their smoking, and they're tempted to smoke. How could this not be considered an internal temptation?

Once a sin is really overcome, it ceases to constitute an internal temptation.

Quote:
I disagree. Our minds are quite capable of dwelling on any number of subjects which can leads us down wrong paths, without any help from Satan, and without having to read a book or watch a movie, or something similar.

Perhaps you think that your mind is not being helped by Satan, when this is far from being true.

Quote:
You have said in the past that you do not believe that Christ was tempted from withing. But now you're saying that He could be tempted by His appetites and passions, which are also things that tempt from within. This is rather confusing. You're saying these are things that can tempt from within, but they didn't tempt Christ from within? Also, He was tempted by His appetites and passions, but not from within?

This depends on the definition of a “temptation from within.” If a temptation from within is something which tempts you because it’s part of you, then our appetites and passions, as much as internal evils, constitute internal temptations.
A couple of things to ponder: 1) EGW says that “evils without ... awaken evils within” (AA 518), that is, external stimuli trigger internal responses (at least in the case of believers); and 2) in all of Christ’s temptations related in the Bible, Satan was an active agent.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: asygo] #128739
11/09/10 05:40 PM
11/09/10 05:40 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Arnold,
I was missing your contributions in these discussions. smile

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Rosangela] #128740
11/09/10 06:23 PM
11/09/10 06:23 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
However, unlike us, Christ was born with a mind different from ours.

We are all born with different minds.

Quote:
T: It depends upon whether we're talking about DNA or not, doesn't it? You're not suggesting one's DNA gets rewired, are you? EGW talks about how we won't have holy flesh this side of heaven, and that as long as we live we'll have battles to overcome. These are the battles that Christ fought and overcame, as He also did not have holy flesh.

R:I don’t know how these things work. But EGW says that these hereditary traits/tendencies can be transformed:

Natural and hereditary traits of character will be transformed. The indwelling of His spirit will enable them to reveal Christ's likeness. {5MR 132.3}

This is dealing with our behavior, it seems to me.

Quote:
I said, “I don't believe that the Christian, like the unconverted, can be tempted purely from within, without an external stimulus.”
Another way of saying this would be, “I don’t believe that the Christian can be tempted purely from within, like the unconverted [can].”
I don’t see what is wrong here. As I see it, it wouldn’t make sense to say, “I don’t believe that the Christian, unlike the unconverted...”

The following would be clear:

I don't believe that the Christian can be tempted purely from within without an external stimulus, unlike the unconverted, who can be.

The way you wrote it is ambiguous.

At any rate, the thought is interesting. I've never heard it before.

Quote:
T:Assuming this is what you mean, I disagree, for two reasons. One is that the converted have memories of that past, which can cause temptations. Secondly is the converted still have sinful flesh.

R:What I believe is that it’s Satan’s suggestions which make capital of these memories.

I don't see how this can be right. Satan can't ready our thoughts. The temptations can't come from him if we're just randomly thinking.

Quote:
T:For example, consider someone who used to smoke. They think about some activity which used to be linked with their smoking, and they're tempted to smoke. How could this not be considered an internal temptation?

R:Once a sin is really overcome, it no longer constitutes an internal temptation.

You're saying someone who has given up smoking, who has overcome it, can't be tempted to smoke again? If this isn't what you're saying, I don't see why the scenario I suggested isn't something that could routinely happen.

Quote:
T:I disagree. Our minds are quite capable of dwelling on any number of subjects which can leads us down wrong paths, without any help from Satan, and without having to read a book or watch a movie, or something similar.

R:You may think your mind is not being helped by Satan when this is far from being true.

I'm not saying that Satan can't influence what we think about. I'm saying this isn't always the case.

For example, let's say I'm an ex-smoker, and I'm thinking about a friend I used to have. And that friend had a car. And the name of the car reminds me of another friend. And I used to bowl with that friend. And when I bowled, I used to smoke. And this causes a temptation. Satan wouldn't be involved in this. He can't read our mind. He'd have no way of knowing that my thinking of the first friend would result in my thinking about bowling.

Quote:
T:You have said in the past that you do not believe that Christ was tempted from withing. But now you're saying that He could be tempted by His appetites and passions, which are also things that tempt from within. This is rather confusing. You're saying these are things that can tempt from within, but they didn't tempt Christ from within? Also, He was tempted by His appetites and passions, but not from within?

R:This depends on the definition of a “temptation from within.” If a temptation from within is something which tempts you because it’s part of you, then our appetites and passions, as much as our internal evils, constitute internal temptations.
Finally, a couple of things to ponder: 1) “evils without ... awaken evils within” (AA 518), that is, external stimuli trigger an internal response (at least in the case of believers); and 2) in all of Christ’s temptations related in the Bible, Satan was an active agent.

It sounds like when you said that Christ was tempted by His appetites and passions, what you really meant was that He was tempted by Satan.

Why do you think believers are only tempted by external stimuli? That's seems really odd to me. You must have thoughts that are temptations. If you do, you can give an example of one, and I think I could come up with a not unlikely scenario where you could have this thought without a direct external stimulus.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Tom] #128755
11/10/10 12:58 PM
11/10/10 12:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: However, unlike us, Christ was born with a mind different from ours.
T: We are all born with different minds.

I think you understood what I mean. While our minds are inclined to disobedience, His was inclined to obedience.

Quote:
T: This is dealing with our behavior, it seems to me.

We inherit tendencies of character, which are tendencies of behavior. But these tendencies are changed:

“A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong.” {Mar 237.2}

“The change which must come to the natural, inherited, and cultivated tendencies of the human heart, is that change of which Jesus spoke when he said to Nicodemus, ‘Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.’” {PH080 43.1}

The behavior changes because the tendencies are changed.

Quote:
I'm not saying that Satan can't influence what we think about. I'm saying this isn't always the case.

For example, let's say I'm an ex-smoker, and I'm thinking about a friend I used to have. And that friend had a car. And the name of the car reminds me of another friend. And I used to bowl with that friend. And when I bowled, I used to smoke. And this causes a temptation. Satan wouldn't be involved in this. He can't read our mind. He'd have no way of knowing that my thinking of the first friend would result in my thinking about bowling.

From my experience, what I see is that when a sin was totally overcome, its memory can be dismissed without a temptation taking place. For instance, if someone completely overcame the smoking habit, memories won’t be a problem.
But sometimes a sin remains for a time without being completely overcome (these are what EGW calls “inward evils” or “idols within”) – like my problem with soap operas, for instance, or the example you gave of the ex-smoker who still misses the pleasure of smoking. (I’m not sure now whether this needs an external stimulus.)
Besides that, I think our appetites and passions make us always vulnerable to temptations (but I think that, for the converted, a temptation involving this would need an external stimulus/suggestion).

Quote:
Why do you think believers are only tempted by external stimuli?

Well, there are 3 sources of temptation: the world, the flesh, and the devil. Obviously the world and the devil are external stimuli. As to the "flesh," I would say it depends. If it refers to the carnal mind, then perhaps an external stimulus isn't necessary. If it refers to the body, it seems to me that, for the Christian, an external stimulus is necessary.
I'm also basing myself on Christ's temptations related in the Bible - the devil was always present in all of them.

Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 09/27/24 09:24 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/26/24 05:49 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!