HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25
Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Tom] #128654
11/05/10 06:53 PM
11/05/10 06:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
I changed my mind when I realized “no provision” existed to pardon angels after they “transgressed the law”. They knew God too well to recover after deliberately sinning. Then I realized repentance and pardon does not have to involve sin in order to happen.

But you always said this. You never said otherwise. You didn't change your mind. This is word for word what you've always said.

Also, it's false. Repentance and pardon does have to involve sin in order to happen. This is easy to see by simply considering what sin and righteousness are.

All unrighteousness is sin, and sin is transgression of the law. (1 John 5:17; 1 John 3:4) Righteousness is obedience to the law. The former requires repentance and pardon. The latter does not.

Consider this description of Lucifer's actions:

Quote:
Leaving his place in the immediate presence of God, Lucifer went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels. Working with mysterious secrecy, and for a time concealing his real purpose under an appearance of reverence for God, he endeavored to excite dissatisfaction concerning the laws that governed heavenly beings, intimating that they imposed an unnecessary restraint. Since their natures were holy, he urged that the angels should obey the dictates of their own will. He sought to create sympathy for himself by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. He claimed that in aspiring to greater power and honor he was not aiming at self-exaltation, but was seeking to secure liberty for all the inhabitants of heaven, that by this means they might attain to a higher state of existence. {GC 495.2}

Was Lucifer acting righteously or unrighteously when he did these things?

Quote:
And, then I realized Lucifer was eventually convinced it would constitute a sin to pursue his course further and was given one last opportunity to change his course.

All unrighteousness is sin. Was Lucifer acting righteously or unrighteously?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Tom] #128655
11/05/10 06:58 PM
11/05/10 06:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
T:For example, here it says that God will fill all the inhabitants of the land with drunkenness. What do you think this means?

M:I addressed this in 128585:

Yes, Jesus also said, "I will fill all the inhabitants of this land . . . with drunkenness." Obviously Jesus isn't going to fill everyone with alcohol and cause them to be drunk. Thus, we are forced to treat it as a symbol. "The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed." Elsewhere, regarding drunkenness, we read:

Ezekiel
23:32 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou shalt drink of thy sister's cup deep and large: thou shalt be laughed to scorn and had in derision; it containeth much.
23:33 Thou shalt be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, with the cup of astonishment and desolation, with the cup of thy sister Samaria.
23:34 Thou shalt even drink it and suck [it] out, and thou shalt break the sherds thereof, and pluck off thine own breasts: for I have spoken [it], saith the Lord GOD.

Are there times when Jesus mixed literal and metaphoric language in the same passage? If so, is it reasonable to take certain parts of a single passage literally while taking other parts of it symbolically?

You didn't answer my question. I asked what you thought it meant. You just said it wasn't literal. You didn't answer the question.

Specifically, I'd like to know what you think God was doing to bring this about.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Tom] #128656
11/05/10 07:07 PM
11/05/10 07:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: For example, when God withdrew His protection and sinners were burned alive what part of this sequence is "the act of punishment" - God withdrawing His protection or sinners being burned alive or something else?

T: Not sure what you're asking here. I believe the principles are explained in what I quoted from GC 35-37 however.

M:I have no idea why you believe this passage addresses my question. Please spell it out in plain detail. Thank you.

Didn't you notice I said, "Not sure what you're asking here."?

Quote:
M: Do you think Satan will arbitrarily impose the seven last plagues on the wicked? Or, do you see the death and destruction portrayed by the plagues as the natural cause and effect consequence of the sins they have committed (like smoking causes cancer)?

T: Once again, I think the principles are clearly explained in GC 36-37. I asked you what you thought was happening there. If you answer that question, I think it will answer the questions you are asking me. At least, this is my perception. GC 35-37 explains how God destroys, in detail. It explains that there is no more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and the certainty of punishment than this (or words to this effect; not quoting the exact words here).

M:In the passage you are referring to Ellen describes God withdrawing His protection and permitting the Roman army to kill the Jews and to demolish Jerusalem. I do not understand why you believe this scenario addresses my question. Please spell it out in plain detail. Thank you.

Your response is a bit too limited in scope. She was describing a principle, actually several principles. Here's one:

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

This is limited to the destruction of Jerusalem, but deals with how God deals with sin in general. This is why there's so much detail here, so we can learn and understand the lesson and principles involved. Note she wrote:

Quote:
The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God’s hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}

This is, again, a statement of principle.

She brings out the same principles in GC 614 as here:

Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God’s long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. {GC 614.1}

That this is dealing with the 7 last plagues is clear by the statement, I think maybe from EW, that kland quoted earlier (among other reasons). That statement pointed out that when Jesus leaves the sanctuary, the 7 plagues begin.

So here we see the same principles at work. By studying GC 35-37, we can understand the principles at work in the plagues (which are repeated in GC 614, although not in as much detail).

Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Tom] #128678
11/07/10 03:04 AM
11/07/10 03:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, it seems like we've reached an impasse. Is there anything in particular you'd like to discus?

Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Mountain Man] #128683
11/07/10 07:01 AM
11/07/10 07:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes.

From what you've written, I understand that you believe the principles of GC 35-37 to be very limited in scope. They deal with the destruction of Jerusalem, and other events which are like that, but are simply one means by which God destroys.

You view that God destroys, and He does so in different ways, and Jerusalem is just one of these ways. Sometime He destroys by ordering holy angels to remove their protection, and allow evil angels to destroy, but sometimes He destroys by having the holy angels to the same work that the evil angels do themselves. There's really no difference between what holy angels or evil angels do in terms of destroying. In fact, there's no way we could tell which government is which, unless somehow we could identify which voice is the voice of God.

And therein lies the problem. If there's no difference in the actions which one performs, how can you identify the voice? When Satan comes to impersonate Christ, if there's no difference between what Satan does and what Christ does, how can you tell the difference?

One other point to bring out is that what I understand GC 35-37 to be saying is that God permits Satan to destroy when the Spirit of God has been so persistently resisted that He is no longer responded to. God's act is a passive act. God destroys by being passive. As a passive act, God is not responsible for destruction.

However, in contrast, what I hear you saying is that God is *always* ultimately responsible for destruction, and never Satan. Satan is merely God's puppet, simply a means to an end. God desires revenge, and He will have His revenge one way or another. Is this correct? (i.e., this is how you view things)

One final point which I've brought up a number of times, but I don't recall being responded to, is the question of how God could use violence/killing/maiming/destroying/etc., given these things are part of Satan's government. You would agree that these things pertain to Satan's government, correct? So how can they find a part in God's government?

To explain the question further, before sin existed, none of these other things existed (i.e. violence/killing/maiming/destroying/etc.) These were all things invented by Satan, as Satan is the author of sin and all its results. Before sin, for all eternity past, none of these things were a part of God's government. So is God's government defective? If God constrained to use the methods of Satan's government in order to win the Great Controversy? He can't win the Great Controversy by using the methods of His own government? If God has to use the methods of Satan's government to win, that would seem to prove that Satan's accusations that God's government is defective is correct.

Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Tom] #128684
11/07/10 04:55 PM
11/07/10 04:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
As sovereign Lord and Savior, Jesus is in control – not sin, not self, not Satan, not natural law. True, we manage the choices, but Jesus, and only Jesus, manages the consequences. He manipulates the outcome of our choices in a way that guarantees the great controversy plays out favorably for God. Sometimes He handles things personally, sometimes He commands holy angels to manage matters for Him, sometimes He commands His chosen people to take care of business for Him, sometimes He permits evil angels to cause death and destruction, and sometimes He allows unholy humans to mete out justice. And, of course, there are times when Jesus simply allows us to experience the natural cause and effect consequences of our choices. No matter how we slice it, though, Jesus is in control of the outcome of our choices. He leaves nothing to fate, chance, or Satan.

Thus, it isn’t a matter of Jesus and Satan managing matters in similar ways. No, not at all. Jesus is sole sovereign of the Universe. Satan is merely a vassal of state, merely one of many fallen subjects under the control of King Jesus. When Jesus permits evil angels to cause death and destruction, He does so as King of kings and Lord of lords. Satan is not at liberty to wield power indiscriminately. He cannot cause death and destruction until he receives permission from Jesus. Nevertheless, Jesus doesn’t leave it up to Satan to decide what to do. It is Jesus who determines what serves as suitable punishment. And then, because Satan cannot be trusted, Jesus also commands holy angels to do whatever it takes to ensure evil angels do not exceed His established limits. So, as you can see, it has nothing to do with Jesus and Satan representing two opposing governments which happen to have similar ways of exercising justice and judgment.

When choices and circumstances force Jesus to cease protecting sinners and to permit them to suffer punishment, He does so through tears of anguish. Jesus hates it when things force Him to punish those for whom He suffered and died to save. But He loves justice more than He loves injustice. Jesus cannot, as sovereign Lord and Savior, sit back and allow sinners to sin with impunity as if it doesn’t matter. Sin does matter, and judges who tolerate it are more culpable and more deserving of punishment. Jesus is not free to sit back and let Satan mete out justice. As judge and jury, it rests with Jesus to ensure justice is served in accordance with the laws of the land. Justice and judgment accomplishes many things, one of which is to inspire and motivate people to live in harmony with the laws. Jesus cannot leave such an important task to Satan. The Devil did not invent punishment. Justice and judgment are two of the many eternal attributes of God Almighty.

Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Mountain Man] #128693
11/08/10 07:45 AM
11/08/10 07:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Re: paragraph 1.

1.When you say that Jesus is in control, not other things, do you mean to imply by this that the things which happen are His will? (by His will, I mean things He wants to have happen).

2.When you say He "manipulates" the outcome of our choices, that doesn't sound too good. Do you understand why? Is this really the word you wish to use?

3.It sounds like your conception is that God uses Satan like a puppet. Is this correct?

Re. Paragraph 2.

1.I said nothing about Jesus and Satan managing matters in similar ways. I spoke of them acting the same. I don't see any difference between how you perceive Satan and God to act. Both seem unspeakable cruel, severe, and harsh. Although if Satan is God's puppet, it seems like God should be the responsible one for Satan's cruelty. That is, if Satan is simply carrying out God's orders, which appears to be what you're saying.

2.I guess I should clarify if this is what you're saying. Do you perceive that when Satan acts, he is simply carrying out God's orders?

3.It looks like you're writing that Jesus determines a punishment, lets the evil angels do what they want to cause havoc and destruction, and then sends the holy angels to mop up any left over maiming/killing/torture/cruelty/violence that remains to finish up the punishment, since the evil angels can't be trusted. You don't see a problem with this sort of picture of God? You don't see any disconnect between this and the life of Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry? I find this picture incredible.

Re. par. 3.

1.I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Are you talking about the final judgment? If so, it appears you don't believe that sin causes suffering on its own accord, or, if it does, not enough. I suppose you must believe sin causes some suffering. So I suppose God makes allowances for that, to your way of thinking, and only imposes additional suffering on top of that to get to right quota of suffering that justice demands.

Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: Tom] #128697
11/08/10 02:48 PM
11/08/10 02:48 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Tom,

As incredible as it seems, do you think there might be something to the Yin-Yang comment I had made in the past? The concept and terms seem to me to fit in more than one way. From part of Wikipedia:
Quote:
In Chinese philosophy, the concept of yin yang is used to describe how polar or seemingly contrary forces are interconnected and interdependent in the natural world, and how they give rise to each other in turn. Many natural dualities — e.g. dark and light, female and male, low and high, cold and hot — are thought of as manifestations of yin and yang (respectively). Yin yang are complementary opposites that interact within a greater whole, as part of a dynamic system. There is a perception (especially in the West) that yin and yang correspond to good and evil. However, Taoist philosophy generally discounts good/bad distinctions and other dichotomous moral judgments, in preference to the idea of balance.

Yin and yang are thus are always opposite and equal qualities. It is impossible to talk about yin or yang without some reference to the opposite, since yin and yang are bound together as parts of a mutual whole. As the sun moves across the sky, yin and yang gradually trade places with each other, revealing what was obscured and obscuring what was revealed. Yin and Yang are dependent opposing forces that flow in a natural cycle, always seeking balance. Though they are opposing, they are not in opposition to one another. As part of the Tao, they are merely two aspects of a single reality. They do not merely replace each other but actually become each other through the constant flow of the universe.

Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: kland] #128700
11/08/10 04:30 PM
11/08/10 04:30 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I think Mikes last statement is clear. I disagree with it and I think the bible disagrees with it. Maybe now when there need remain no question on where Mike stands on this question, the next phase of the discussion can commence? Assuming the discussion is going somewhere beyond figuring out what Mike thinks about this subject.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: God's Strange Act: What is it, when does it happen? [Re: vastergotland] #128711
11/08/10 07:18 PM
11/08/10 07:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Re: paragraph 1.

1.When you say that Jesus is in control, not other things, do you mean to imply by this that the things which happen are His will? (by His will, I mean things He wants to have happen).

2.When you say He "manipulates" the outcome of our choices, that doesn't sound too good. Do you understand why? Is this really the word you wish to use?

3.It sounds like your conception is that God uses Satan like a puppet. Is this correct?

1. He doesn’t want people to make sinful choices. But since they do, it is Jesus’ responsibility to ensure the outcome serves God’s ultimate goal, namely, a great controversy that ends favorably for God.

2. The word “manages” can be used in its place. I’m referring to Jesus manipulating inanimate things so that our choices play out in ways that best serve God’s ultimate goal. However, Jesus also exercises His powers of influence to ensure people do certain things that best serve God’s ultimate goal (Daniel 10:13 is an example).

3. Jesus knows exactly what Satan will do and uses it to serve God’s ultimate goal.

Quote:
Re. Paragraph 2.

1.I said nothing about Jesus and Satan managing matters in similar ways. I spoke of them acting the same. I don't see any difference between how you perceive Satan and God to act. Both seem unspeakable cruel, severe, and harsh. Although if Satan is God's puppet, it seems like God should be the responsible one for Satan's cruelty. That is, if Satan is simply carrying out God's orders, which appears to be what you're saying.

2.I guess I should clarify if this is what you're saying. Do you perceive that when Satan acts, he is simply carrying out God's orders?

3.It looks like you're writing that Jesus determines a punishment, lets the evil angels do what they want to cause havoc and destruction, and then sends the holy angels to mop up any left over maiming/killing/torture/cruelty/violence that remains to finish up the punishment, since the evil angels can't be trusted. You don't see a problem with this sort of picture of God? You don't see any disconnect between this and the life of Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry? I find this picture incredible.

1. Satan is not free to do as he pleases. He can only do that which Jesus permits him to do. Unlike Satan, Jesus is totally free to do as He pleases.

2. I suppose Satan is free not to do what Jesus permits him to do. But it seems unlikely he would reject an opportunity to cause death and destruction.

3. I wrote, “Satan is not at liberty to wield power indiscriminately. He cannot cause death and destruction until he receives permission from Jesus. Nevertheless, Jesus doesn’t leave it up to Satan to decide what to do. It is Jesus who determines what serves as suitable punishment. And then, because Satan cannot be trusted, Jesus also commands holy angels to do whatever it takes to ensure evil angels do not exceed His established limits.” The holy angels are on scene to ensure evil angels do not cause more death and destruction than permitted by Jesus.

Quote:
Re. par. 3.

1.I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Are you talking about the final judgment? If so, it appears you don't believe that sin causes suffering on its own accord, or, if it does, not enough. I suppose you must believe sin causes some suffering. So I suppose God makes allowances for that, to your way of thinking, and only imposes additional suffering on top of that to get to right quota of suffering that justice demands.

1. I wasn’t referring to the final judgment. The emotional and physical suffering sinners experience in this lifetime is not, in fact, the real result of sin. The fact is if Jesus allowed sinners to experience the full, inevitable result of sin the instant they sin no one would survive the first sin. In fact, the human race would have ended with the death of A&E. During the final judgment, it is the fire light of God’s physical person and presence that will cause sinners to experience the full, inevitable result of sin, namely, emotional and physical suffering that ends in death.

Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!