HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,218
Posts195,997
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 20
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (TheophilusOne, dedication, Karen Y, 2 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 25 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 24 25
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #129356
12/05/10 10:35 AM
12/05/10 10:35 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I believe at conception we inherit sinful traits and tendencies as opposed to saying we inherit a character. The many quotes I posted above make it clear character is the result of individual hard work and repetitious choices. "Character is not inherited."

Quote:
From PP 223:
An upright character is of greater worth than the gold of Ophir. Without it none can rise to an honorable eminence. But character is not inherited. It cannot be bought. Moral excellence and fine mental qualities are not the result of accident. The most precious gifts are of no value unless they are improved. The formation of a noble character is the work of a lifetime and must be the result of diligent and persevering effort. God gives opportunities; success depends upon the use made of them.

This is similar to the COL quote, which Rosangela has addressed.

EGW tells us that character is the thoughts and feelings combined.

You seem to be saying that we are born with no character. Hence, either thoughts or feelings are missing at birth. Right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: asygo] #129369
12/05/10 05:05 PM
12/05/10 05:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Guilt is not inherited.

I say that we receive from Adam guilt and the sentence of death. You disagree with that. Right?

Ellen, as you know, wrote both of the above. In light of everything she wrote about it (see copious quotes posted earlier), I believe we receive hardware and software from our parents and grandparents, dating all the way back to Adam, that results in us sinning naturally, instinctively from the moment we are consciously capable of reacting and responding to inside and outside stimuli (which begins in the womb), and we thereby incur guilt, condemnation, and the death sentence.

Do you agree?

I do not believe guilt is inherited. Guilt is the direct result of sinning. Parents cannot sin and incur guilt and bequeath it to their children. Instead, what happens is children inherit the traits and tendencies their parents cultivated and strengthened, and the children in turn are predisposed and more likely to repeat the same types of sins and thereby incur guilt.

Do you agree?

Originally Posted By: Asygo
Sin is not inherited. Where there is no sin there is no guilt.

So you believe a newborn has neither sin nor guilt. Right?

By the time an infant exits the womb and enters the world, he has already reacted and responded to stimuli affecting him from within and from without in exactly the same way he will for the rest of his life. Before we experience rebirth, we are incapable of reacting and responding to said stimuli in holy and righteous ways. We naturally, instinctively react and respond in sinful ways. Consequently, fetuses begin reacting and responding to inside and outside stimuli in sinful ways, and continue to do so as infants and onward until they experience rebirth. Sinning incurs guilt. Of course, the sins they commit are categorized as sins of ignorance until they reach the age of accountability.

Do you agree?

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: asygo] #129371
12/05/10 05:23 PM
12/05/10 05:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Finally, no, we are very much unlike prefall Adam when we are conceived.

When Adam was created, he was made in God's image. I'm pretty sure we all agree that it was an image of love. When Adam sinned, selfishness took the place of love. So instead of having love as the ruling principle, Adam was ruled by self. Are you saying that we are born ruled by self?

Even before we are born, while we are still in the womb, I believe we naturally, instinctively react and respond to stimuli from within and from without in sinful, selfish ways, and the reason we do so is because of the hardware and software we inherited from the human race.

Do you agree?

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Rosangela] #129372
12/05/10 05:55 PM
12/05/10 05:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
I believe at conception we inherit sinful traits and tendencies as opposed to saying we inherit a character. The many quotes I posted above make it clear character is the result of individual hard work and repetitious choices. "Character is not inherited." "Character is not transferable."

Character is the sum total of your character traits.

"There is every phase of character received by children as an inheritance. The defects and the virtues in traits of character are thus revealed. Let every instructor take this into consideration. Hereditary and cultivated deformity of human character, as also beauty of character, will have to be met, and much grace cultivated in the instructor to know how to deal with the erring for their present and eternal good." {FE 277.1}

"God expects every one who claims to be his child to reveal to the world not their natural, hereditary, sinful character, but a representation of the character of Christ." {HM, December 1, 1894 par. 4}

What do you make of the quotes which say that Adam was created with a character?

I did a search of the SOP and couldn't find where she said Adam was created with "a character". Everything I have read, some of which I have posted on this thread, makes it clear to me that Ellen believed we are created, like Adam was, with the traits necessary to cultivate a sinless character (after we experience rebirth, of course).

Adam was unique, though, in that he began life as an adult with the ability to converse intelligently with God and the angels. He was also capable of grasping simple and complex matters and issues. So, since he possessed advanced mental and physical abilities from the moment of consciousness, it stands to reason his character would have been more advanced in development, too.

Ellen made the following interesting statements:

Quote:
The Lord placed [Adam] upon probation, that he might form a character of steadfast integrity for his own happiness and for the glory of his Creator. {RH, February 24, 1874 par. 9}

You cannot bring up your children as you should without divine help; for the fallen nature of Adam always strives for the mastery. {RH, October 25, 1892 par. 12}

In the beginning, man was created in the likeness of God, not only in character, but in form and feature. {GC 644.3}

Concerning the creation of Adam it is said, "In the likeness of God made He him;" but man, after the Fall, "begat a son in his own likeness, after his image." While Adam was created sinless, in the likeness of God, Seth, like Cain, inherited the fallen nature of his parents. {PP 80.1}

Adam was to be tested, to see whether he would be obedient or disobedient. Had he stood the test, his thoughts would have been as the thoughts of God. His character would have been moulded after the similitude of the divine character. {ST, May 29, 1901 par. 1}

In the quotes above Ellen makes it clear that God created Adam in such a way it was possible for him to mold, cultivate a sinless character similar to the divine character.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: asygo] #129373
12/05/10 06:00 PM
12/05/10 06:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe at conception we inherit sinful traits and tendencies as opposed to saying we inherit a character. The many quotes I posted above make it clear character is the result of individual hard work and repetitious choices. "Character is not inherited."

Quote:
From PP 223:
An upright character is of greater worth than the gold of Ophir. Without it none can rise to an honorable eminence. But character is not inherited. It cannot be bought. Moral excellence and fine mental qualities are not the result of accident. The most precious gifts are of no value unless they are improved. The formation of a noble character is the work of a lifetime and must be the result of diligent and persevering effort. God gives opportunities; success depends upon the use made of them.

This is similar to the COL quote, which Rosangela has addressed.

EGW tells us that character is the thoughts and feelings combined.

You seem to be saying that we are born with no character. Hence, either thoughts or feelings are missing at birth. Right?

My most recent comments and responses above should serve to address your question. If they don't, please tell me, and I will be happy to elaborate.

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #129384
12/06/10 03:32 AM
12/06/10 03:32 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
My most recent comments and responses above should serve to address your question. If they don't, please tell me, and I will be happy to elaborate.

Please elaborate. Do you believe that people are born with thoughts and feelings?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #129385
12/06/10 03:40 AM
12/06/10 03:40 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Where there is no sin there is no guilt. Guilt is incurred by sinning.

Since the topic is about Jesus, let's pull it back a bit. Since Jesus did not sin, can we say that He had no guilt?

I believe that Jesus had the guilt of the world placed upon Him, not because He sinned, but by a different mechanism.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #129386
12/06/10 03:48 AM
12/06/10 03:48 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Guilt is not inherited.

I say that we receive from Adam guilt and the sentence of death. You disagree with that. Right?

Ellen, as you know, wrote both of the above. In light of everything she wrote about it (see copious quotes posted earlier), I believe we receive hardware and software from our parents and grandparents, dating all the way back to Adam, that results in us sinning naturally, instinctively from the moment we are consciously capable of reacting and responding to inside and outside stimuli (which begins in the womb), and we thereby incur guilt, condemnation, and the death sentence.

Do you agree?

I agree with what you said. Yes, we receive bad equipment at birth, and we receive bad programming. And when one uses the bad equipment to execute the bad programs, guilt and condemnation and death are incurred.

But I also agree with what EGW said, as she said it. We receive from Adam guilt and death. She didn't say we receive the possibility to earn guilt and death. She didn't say we receive the inclination toward guilt and death. She said we receive them.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: Mountain Man] #129387
12/06/10 04:03 AM
12/06/10 04:03 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I do not believe guilt is inherited. Guilt is the direct result of sinning. Parents cannot sin and incur guilt and bequeath it to their children. Instead, what happens is children inherit the traits and tendencies their parents cultivated and strengthened, and the children in turn are predisposed and more likely to repeat the same types of sins and thereby incur guilt.

Do you agree?

No, I do not. And here is the crux of the relation between our understanding of human nature - ours and Christ's - and RBF.

Let me try to summarize our difference, and tell me if I got it right.

I believe that we were made sinners by one man's disobedience - Adam's. You believe that we become sinners when we individually sin for ourselves. I am a sinner because Adam sinned, while you are a sinner because you sinned like Adam sinned.

Here's the flip side. I believe that we are made righteous by one Man's obedience - Christ's. To remain consistent, you must believe that we become righteous when we individually obey for ourselves. I am righteous because Jesus obeyed, while you are righteous because you obey like Jesus obeyed.

For you, sin and righteousness are earned by the person copying his father. For me, sin and righteousness are inherited by the person from his father.

For you, the key is to emulate the right father. For me, the key is to have the right father.

So what should we do if we find that we are born of Adam, and inherit from him nothing but guilt and the sentence of death? Switch to a new Father by being born again, born from above, and inherit life and holiness. The old man dies, and the new man walks in newness of life. That's RBF, IMO.

Last edited by asygo; 12/06/10 04:05 AM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is there a relation between Christ's assumed human nature and rightesousness by faith? [Re: asygo] #129398
12/06/10 04:09 PM
12/06/10 04:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Please elaborate. Do you believe that people are born with thoughts and feelings?

People begin experiencing consciousness in the womb, before they are born. With consciousness comes the ability to think and feel. The result of thinking and feeling is character. Since fetuses and infants are incapable of experiencing rebirth, it stands to reason, then, that they can only cultivate a sinful character. "All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy. {SC 59.4}

Page 18 of 25 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 24 25

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 09/27/24 09:24 PM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/25/24 04:33 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/26/24 05:49 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!