HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20
Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13035
04/24/05 07:21 AM
04/24/05 07:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm sure Luther wilfully did the things he did, but he didn't do them knowingly (i.e., knowing they were wrong). Regardless of the fact that he didn't know, they were nevertheless sins, and defects of character in the ordinary sense of the word, "character" having to do with one's thoughts, actions and feelings, which were all clearly wrong, hence defective.

If being rebellious is the same thing as what you are saying, why not just say that? From my perspective, you use words and phrases in a unique and provocative way, to argue points which would not be argued if you used clearer language with words and phrases understood in a normal way. For example, if you wrote that when a person is born again, they do not retain their rebelliousness, but are brought into harmony with God, I doubt many people would disagree with this

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13036
04/24/05 04:13 PM
04/24/05 04:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
If the evidence that a person subdues, rather than eliminates, their defects when they’re born again is based on the fact they must labor to resist the temptations associated with them, and if they eventually die out, would it be reasonable to assume, then, that the evidence a particular defect has been eliminated is the fact the born again believer can no longer be tempted by it?
It seems this conclusion is correct, since Ellen White says that "the difficulty of overcoming will be lessened in proportion as the heart is sanctified by the grace of Christ” {YI, September 7, 1893}
quote:
If the defects of born again believers devolve, diminish, and disappear gradually, is it safe to assume, then, they will eventually reach a point where they can no longer be tempted? Is temptation really evidence our defects have not been eliminated?
Do you mean no longer tempted by a particular sin or no longer tempted at all?
If you refer to the latter, I believe that, if this was the case, neither Adam and Eve nor Jesus could have been tempted, since they had no defect of character. There are some things which are simply inherent to our human condition which Satan can use to tempt us, and Satan can also tempt us using positive traits, instead of negative traits. For instance, he tempted Eve to increase her knowledge. What is wrong with this? Nothing. But it can become wrong if you try to do it independently of God. He tempted Jesus to satisfy His hunger, to show His true identity, to avoid suffering. There is nothing wrong with these things. But it is wrong to do these things in a way that goes against God’s will.
quote:
Do the words subdue, remove, not retain, remedied, as they relate to our defective traits of character, mean the same thing?
It seems so.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13037
04/25/05 04:12 AM
04/25/05 04:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, Sister White uses specific adjectives to differentiate between the various types and qualities of human traits of character. But never once has she described a sin of ignorance as a "defective" trait of character. Ignorantly breaking the sabbath is not a "defective" trait of character.

In following quotes please note that she talks about unbelievers who possess "noble" and "excellent" traits of character. She doesn't refer to their unsanctified noble and excellent traits of character as "defective". Character is the result of known and willfull choices we make repeatedly.

SC 57, 58
The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. {SC 57.2}

4T 505
The unbelieving may possess an excellent moral character; but the fact that he or she has not answered to the claims of God, and has neglected so great salvation, is sufficient reason why such a union should not be consummated. The character of the unbelieving may be similar to that of the young man to whom Jesus addressed the words, "One thing thou lackest;" that was the one thing needful. {4T 505.1}

2T 284, 285
I saw that you should study every move. You should do nothing rashly. Let God be your counselor. He loves your children, and it is right that you should love them; but it is not right to give them the place in your affections that the Lord claims. They have kind impulses and generous purposes. They possess noble traits of character. If they would only see their need of a Saviour, and bow at the foot of the cross, they might exert an influence for good. They are now lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. They now stand in the enemy's ranks, under the black banner of Satan. Jesus invites them to come to Him, to leave the ranks of the enemy, and to stand under the bloodstained banner of the cross of Christ. {2T 285.2}

Also, it would be interesting to see if others on MSDAOL agree with your view that born again believers do not retain their rebelliousness, that they live in harmony with the will of God.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13038
04/25/05 04:30 AM
04/25/05 04:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Also, it would be interesting to see if others on MSDAOL agree with your view that born again believers do not retain their rebelliousness, that they live in harmony with the will of God.
I'd be interested in this too. I think this is harmony with your general idea, but the way you present your idea is not very good IMO (because it's unclear).

For example, does the SOP ever suggest that upon being born again one immediately has a character without defect? I know of no passage which suggests that. However, it would not be difficult to establish that born again believers are in harmony with God's will and not rebels.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13039
04/25/05 04:40 AM
04/25/05 04:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, I like the idea that some temptations, in certain cases, disappear immediately (i.e., physical problems like smoking). And, I like the idea that other temptations disappear altogether after a period of time. Certain sins are self-eliminating as specific hormones loss ground to old age and diminishing desire.

But, again, just because we can be tempted, after rebirth, to repeat a former sin it doesn't mean we still possess the affliated defective trait of character. Jesus was tempted in "all points" like born again believers, not like Adam before his fall. Jesus didn't need defective traits of character in order to be tempted to do wrong. And neither do born again believers. Jesus wasn't only tempted to misuse His powers, to do a good thing at the wrong time or in the wrong way, He was also tempted to do evil things.

What was the origin and source of Jesus' temptations? God cannot be tempted, therefore, it was necessary for Jesus to become a human, to inherit our sinful flesh nature, in order to experience resisitng temptation. "His human nature was created; it did not even possess the angelic powers. It was human, identical with our own." (3SM 129)

DA 48
But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. {DA 48.5}

Do you think we can come to the point in our sanctification where Satan can no longer tempt us with evil? that eventually he will only be able to tempt us to do a good thing at the wrong time or in the wrong way?

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13040
04/25/05 04:58 AM
04/25/05 04:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
For example, does the SOP ever suggest that upon being born again one immediately has a character without defect? I know of no passage which suggests that. However, it would not be difficult to establish that born again believers are in harmony with God's will and not rebels.
If our views are essentially the same, then it shouldn't come as a surprise that in everything she wrote there are places where she expresses it the way I do, and the way you do. She was very gifted at expressing the same thoughts using different words. For example:

We are endowed with traits of character that enable us to do service for God. {COL 98.3}

A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. {Mar 237.2}

The mighty power of the Holy Spirit works an entire transformation in the character of the human agent, making him a new creature in Christ Jesus. {FLB 137.5}

Through faith in Christ, every deficiency of character may be supplied, every defilement cleansed, every fault corrected, every excellence developed. {RC 125.7}

True conviction of sin, real heart sorrow because of wickedness, death to self, the daily overcoming of defects of character, and the new birth--these, represented as old things, Paul says had passed away, and all things had become new. {RC 208.3}

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13041
04/25/05 10:41 AM
04/25/05 10:41 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

I've addressed this in my last post, but you must have overlooked it, so I'll requote it here:

quote:
Do you mean no longer tempted by a particular sin or no longer tempted at all?
If you refer to the latter, I believe that, if this was the case, neither Adam and Eve nor Jesus could have been tempted, since they had no defect of character. There are some things which are simply inherent to our human condition which Satan can use to tempt us, and Satan can also tempt us using positive traits, instead of negative traits. For instance, he tempted Eve to increase her knowledge. What is wrong with this? Nothing. But it can become wrong if you try to do it independently of God. He tempted Jesus to satisfy His hunger, to show His true identity, to avoid suffering. There is nothing wrong with these things. But it is wrong to do these things in a way that goes against God’s will.

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13042
04/25/05 11:16 AM
04/25/05 11:16 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
I agree with Tom.

"Pardon and justification are one and the same thing. Through faith, the believer passes from the position of a rebel, a child of sin and Satan, to the position of a loyal subject of Christ Jesus, not because of an inherent goodness, but because Christ receives him as His child by adoption." {FW 103.2}

"Let no one think that, while he is living in transgression, he will be allowed to enter the gates of the holy city. Those who, when Christ comes, are in rebellion against God will not be admitted to the courts above. No rebel will enter heaven." {TDG 320.3}

"The surrender of the heart to Jesus subdues the rebel into a penitent, and then the language of the obedient soul is: 'Old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.' This is the true religion of the Bible. Everything short of this is a deception." {4T 625.2}

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13043
04/25/05 02:56 PM
04/25/05 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
There are some things which are simply inherent to our human condition which Satan can use to tempt us ...
Did this apply to Jesus' human nature, too? That is, did His sinful nature generate and communicate unholy thoughts and feelings that He had to resist on a daily basis? If so, how do these temptations differ from the ones we experience because our defective traits of character haven't been eliminated yet?

Re: No Temptation Too Difficult To Resist! - What? Help! #13044
04/26/05 03:04 AM
04/26/05 03:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Great quotes, Rosangela. And I'm glad you agree with Tom's way of expressing the truth. But, if we retain our defective traits of character when we are born again, and if they devolve, diminish and disappear gradually, over the course of a lifetime, what will Jesus do with them when He returns if they haven't been eliminated yet? Since Jesus will not, and cannot, change of characters when He returns, and since we cannot enter heaven with our defects, when will they be eliminated?

As you know, I believe our defective traits of character are revealed, confessed and crucified (i.e., eliminated) during the process of conversion, before we are born again, and that we begin at rebirth where Jesus began at birth (i.e., with a clean slate and sinful nature). We are also born again like Adam and Eve when they were created - grown up and able to speak and reason like an adult, but with no experience as soldiers of the cross. As we walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man we do not and cannot repeat our former habits of sin. But more than this, we grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit from glory to glory, from faith to faith - just like Jesus did.

How does this view of rebirth and sanctification differ from the one you and Tom believe?

Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!