HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,977
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, TheophilusOne, Karen Y, Daryl, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 40 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 39 40
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #130770
02/11/11 02:03 PM
02/11/11 02:03 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
At any rate, please name examples of "very bad things, which are not God's will" that Spirit-filled, born-again believers do ignorantly nowadays while under the control of the Holy Spirit.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "very bad things". But, would you say worshiping the beast is a very bad thing? Do you believe there are those who are Spirit-filled and born-again but who have not had the opportunity to learn the truth and are worshiping the beast, or it's image, in ignorance?

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: kland] #130777
02/11/11 05:48 PM
02/11/11 05:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, yes, there are plenty of Spirit-filled, born-again believers who are ignorantly observing Sunday and violating the Sabbath day (i.e. "worshiping the beast"). Ellen wrote:

Quote:
But Christians of past generations observed the Sunday, supposing that in so doing they were keeping the Bible Sabbath; and there are now true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion, who honestly believe that Sunday is the Sabbath of divine appointment. God accepts their sincerity of purpose and their integrity before Him. But when Sunday observance shall be enforced by law, and the world shall be enlightened concerning the obligation of the true Sabbath, then whoever shall transgress the command of God, to obey a precept which has no higher authority than that of Rome, will thereby honor popery above God. He is paying homage to Rome and to the power which enforces the institution ordained by Rome. He is worshipping the beast and his image. As men then reject the institution which God has declared to be the sign of His authority, and honor in its stead that which Rome has chosen as the token of her supremacy, they will thereby accept the sign of allegiance to Rome--"the mark of the beast." And it is not until the issue is thus plainly set before the people, and they are brought to choose between the commandments of God and the commandments of men, that those who continue in transgression will receive "the mark of the beast." {GC 449.1}

I'm not sure what kinds of things Tom has in mind when he says Spirit-filled, born-again believers ignorantly do "very bad things, which are not God's will" nowadays while under the control of the Holy Spirit. He took exception to "nowadays", so perhaps he believes it doesn't happen any more since the days of Luther. I don't know.

Personally, I cannot think of "very bad things, which are not God's will" that Spirit-filled, born-again believers do ignorantly while under the control of the Holy Spirit. Examples of "very bad things, which are not God's will" that come to mind are things like murder, rape, robbery, etc. That's not to say that things like pride and neglecting to help the poor and needy are not also "very bad things, which are not God's will."

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130783
02/11/11 08:26 PM
02/11/11 08:26 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: GC
T:It depends upon what you mean by this. Jesus said we can only have one master. If you're looking at it from this angle, then no. However, we're imperfect, and even if God is our master, we may do things in ignorance, even very bad things, which are not God's will. How would you characterize that?

GC:I would characterize it as that at the moment we do wrong, we are not under the control of God, therefore He is not our master at that moment. We have chosen a different master. This is why we need to renew our allegiance to God so frequently: daily, hourly.

I pointed out that we are imperfect, and, even if God is our master, we may do things in ignorance which are not God's will. You appear to be disagreeing with this, saying that if we do anything wrong, even in ignorance, we are under another master. Is this really what you were wishing to say? That is, if we have God as our master, we will do nothing contrary to God's will, including things done ignorantly?

Tom, another way of looking at the questions I posed in my last post is to look at the contrapositive of your statements here.

Suppose a Christian/Christlike individual "C" can do wrong (in ignorance or otherwise--any form of wrong here) while still being loyal to and under God's influence.

Is it possible for a sinner/spiritualist/Satanically-controlled individual "S" to do good (in ignorance or otherwise) while still being loyal to and under the influence of Satan?

Is it your belief that C can do evil, and S can do good, both while remaining on their respective sides with their respective masters?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Mountain Man] #130789
02/11/11 09:27 PM
02/11/11 09:27 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Personally, I cannot think of "very bad things, which are not God's will" that Spirit-filled, born-again believers do ignorantly while under the control of the Holy Spirit. Examples of "very bad things, which are not God's will" that come to mind are things like murder, rape, robbery, etc. That's not to say that things like pride and neglecting to help the poor and needy are not also "very bad things, which are not God's will."
It sounds like you do not consider worshiping the beast a "very bad thing".

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Green Cochoa] #130794
02/11/11 10:58 PM
02/11/11 10:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, if you're going to ignore my question, why not cite the heathens:

Me? I answered your question. In answer to your question, I asked why nowadays was important, and gave Luther as an example of someone who did things which were wrong, even though he was under the influence of the Holy Spirit. However, you didn't address why question as to why "nowadays" is important.

In regards to Luther, the anti-Semetic things were what came to mind.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130795
02/11/11 11:00 PM
02/11/11 11:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MM
He took exception to "nowadays", so perhaps he believes it doesn't happen any more since the days of Luther. I don't know.

I didn't take exception to "nowadays," but asked you why this was important to your question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Green Cochoa] #130796
02/11/11 11:08 PM
02/11/11 11:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Considering Jesus' teaching for a moment, that we should deal our bread to the hungry, visit the sick and imprisoned, and clothe the naked, is God always behind such acts of kindness?

What the world might term "altruistic" and we might think of as "Christian," do these acts always come from above?

Do you think, Tom, that if a heathen did these things, it was, as Mrs. White referred to in Mike's quote above, prompted by the Holy Spirit? Do you think it would always be from God when acts of kindness or mercy such as these are done?

I'm using the word "always" here because I'm hoping to understand the principle of the matter in your mind. Some might accept "situational ethics" where there are no absolutes. Others tend to see things in black and white and for always. It has seemed to me that sometimes you tend toward the latter, considering your view that God does nothing to harm or punish people, but lets Satan work his woes as the natural course of sin. But other times it seems you present both sides as possibilities and I'm not sure I quite understand you correctly.

Do you have a firm stance on this? or do you tend to be more flexible and think that God might be able to execute harsh judgments and/or that the devil might be able to do some good things?

Biblical support for your position would be helpful in understanding it, if you have time to add that.

I'll respond particularly to this aspect:

Quote:
I'm using the word "always" here because I'm hoping to understand the principle of the matter in your mind.

The principle of the matter, as I'm thinking of it, is that we have sinful natures, and because of this, of ourselves, apart from God, are incapable of doing good.

Also what comes to mind is Jesus' question, "Why do you call me good? There is no one good but God alone." It seems to me that goodness is a divine attribute. Other beings are only good by virtue of what they have received, or do receive, from the Creator, who alone is good.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130797
02/11/11 11:12 PM
02/11/11 11:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T:It depends upon what you mean by this. Jesus said we can only have one master. If you're looking at it from this angle, then no. However, we're imperfect, and even if God is our master, we may do things in ignorance, even very bad things, which are not God's will. How would you characterize that?

GC:I would characterize it as that at the moment we do wrong, we are not under the control of God, therefore He is not our master at that moment. We have chosen a different master. This is why we need to renew our allegiance to God so frequently: daily, hourly.

T:I pointed out that we are imperfect, and, even if God is our master, we may do things in ignorance which are not God's will. You appear to be disagreeing with this, saying that if we do anything wrong, even in ignorance, we are under another master. Is this really what you were wishing to say? That is, if we have God as our master, we will do nothing contrary to God's will, including things done ignorantly?

G:Tom, another way of looking at the questions I posed in my last post is to look at the contrapositive of your statements here.

Suppose a Christian/Christlike individual "C" can do wrong (in ignorance or otherwise--any form of wrong here) while still being loyal to and under God's influence.

Is it possible for a sinner/spiritualist/Satanically-controlled individual "S" to do good (in ignorance or otherwise) while still being loyal to and under the influence of Satan?

Is it your belief that C can do evil, and S can do good, both while remaining on their respective sides with their respective masters?

I'm not understanding how this addresses my question to you. That is, you appear to be asserting that if God is our master, we will do nothing wrong, even in ignorance. Have I understood you correctly?

Before going on to your questions, which I'm happy to do, I'd like to establish if I've correctly understood what you're asserting.

Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Tom] #130798
02/11/11 11:33 PM
02/11/11 11:33 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
I'm not understanding how this addresses my question to you. That is, you appear to be asserting that if God is our master, we will do nothing wrong, even in ignorance. Have I understood you correctly?

Before going on to your questions, which I'm happy to do, I'd like to establish if I've correctly understood what you're asserting.

Tom, sorry, I wasn't focusing at this time on my own perspective, I'm just trying to understand yours. I do have a view on it, which is that good people can do "bad" things and vice versa. The difficulty with trying to explain my position on it is that it seems we are working from separate definitions, so I am trying to understand more clearly what your definitions are.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: "God destroys no man" explained [Re: Green Cochoa] #130835
02/13/11 01:58 AM
02/13/11 01:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, I said the following:

Quote:
It depends upon what you mean by this. Jesus said we can only have one master. If you're looking at it from this angle, then no. However, we're imperfect, and even if God is our master, we may do things in ignorance, even very bad things, which are not God's will. How would you characterize that?

To which you responded:

Quote:
I would characterize it as that at the moment we do wrong, we are not under the control of God, therefore He is not our master at that moment. We have chosen a different master. This is why we need to renew our allegiance to God so frequently: daily, hourly.

You must have had something in mind when you wrote this, which is what I've been asking you about. It is in response to this statement of yours that I asked:

Quote:
(Y)ou appear to be asserting that if God is our master, we will do nothing wrong, even in ignorance. Have I understood you correctly?

You said the moment we do wrong, we are not under the control of God. What did you have in mind when you said this?

Page 17 of 40 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 39 40

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/21/24 12:39 AM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/20/24 01:04 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!