HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,995
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 35
Rick H 18
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 1,371 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: Behold the Lamb #13239
04/30/05 05:22 AM
04/30/05 05:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom: The careful student of His life will note that He did not torture and then kill those who disagreed with Him.

Rosangela: Tom, in your conception removing life can never be an act of mercy?

Tom: If by "removing life" you mean "allowing one's life to end," certainly this can be an act of mercy.

Old Tom:
In fact, to those who would have fire from heaven come down to devore those who did not agree with Him, He explained that such were acting according to a different spirit.

Rosangela:
People in Sodom were incorrigible sinners, while the people to whom the disciples were referring still could be saved. This makes all the difference in the world.

Tom: What makes the difference is thinking that force is a principle of God's government and a way of solving the problems of sin. It isn't.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13240
04/30/05 05:31 AM
04/30/05 05:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It appears that I have not made clear that my posts are dealing with the wrath of God in the context of the judgment of the wicked. Please do not ask me any more questions about Sodom and Gemorrah or the flood.

I haven't seen any discussion whatsoever on the posts I quoted from Scriptures or the Spirit of Prophesy regarding the wrath of God. The purpose of these posts was to demonstrate the principle that God's wrath is His giving those who reject Him over to the result of their choices. Which of the Scriptures I presented, or texts from the Spirit of Prophesy do not make that point? Did I establish the point I was trying to establish or not? If I didn't, why not?

I also wrote a long post explaining the concepts in my own words. I think that was one of my better posts. That is, it is always a challenge to convey one's thoughts on topics like this, and I felt in that post that I did a better job than I often feel I did. So I would be happy to answer any questions regarding that post or discuss any of the points made.

Please bear in mind that I am addressing God's wrath in the context of the judgment.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13241
04/30/05 06:10 AM
04/30/05 06:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, you have clearly articulated one aspect of the wrath of God. The problem is you believe that is the only aspect. But it isn't. You want to avoid discussing the Flood and Sodom, in the context of judgment, but that is precisely the events the Bible uses to describe it. How can we ignore them? When God gave people over to reap the results of their sowing He stipulated the results. Sometimes holy angels carried out His will, sometimes it was evil angels, and other times it was other human beings. But always, in all cases, everything happened according to God's will and plan. When God swallowed Korah and his rebels it was no accident that they happened to be standing where the ground opened and closed.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13242
04/30/05 06:38 AM
04/30/05 06:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, yes, you have clearly articulated one aspect of the wrath of God. The problem is you believe that is the only aspect.
This seems to me to be saying that God is schitzoprhenic. Christ taught us to overcome evil with good.

Some of the time God gives people up to the result of their choice, which leads to destruction, but other times He does what? He takes matters into His own hands, destroying them? Why? If leaving them to the result of their choice leads to destruction, why would God do anything other than that?

God is agape, which is self-sacrificing love. It is not possible for anything other than goodness to eminate from God. The light of the glory of God (which is His goodness) is life for the righteous, but death for the wicked. There's no need for God to become devilish and use the principles of the enemy's kingdom, which is force, when His goodness leads to destruction. And it's not possible for God to be other than He is is, which is infinite kindness, goodness and generosity, as revealed in Jesus Christ.

The Spirit of Prophesy tells us that all that needs to be known about God or can be known about God was revealed in Jesus Christ. This means that all we need to know, or can know, about God's wrath was revealed in Jesus Christ. Where did Jesus have wrath which would be along the lines of what you are suggesting? Where did He torture or kill anybody?

Mike:
But it isn't. You want to avoid discussing the Flood and Sodom, in the context of judgment, but that is precisely the events the Bible uses to describe it.

Tom: The best way to study the character of God is by studying Jesus Christ. The whole purpose of His mission was to set men right by reveaing God's character. When we've seen Him, we've seen the Father.

The cross reveals what the result of sin our, and the death that the wicked will die at the judgement. To sin, wherever it is found, God is a consuming fire. Christ said His heart "melts like wax." This was the effect of the glory of God upon sin. This glory, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

Mike:
How can we ignore them? When God gave people over to reap the results of their sowing He stipulated the results.

Tom: The results are inherent in the act itself. As the Spirit of Prophesy puts it, sin separates one from God, who alone is the source of life -- this leads to death. (DA 764)

It's not that God arbitrarily decreed something which would not have been the case had He not spoken -- this is the picture of the enemy, that God is arbitray -- but sin well and truly leads to death (as we can see in the death of Christ) because it separates one from God, who alone is the source of life.

Mike:
Sometimes holy angels carried out His will, sometimes it was evil angels, and other times it was other human beings. But always, in all cases, everything happened according to God's will and plan. When God swallowed Korah and his rebels it was no accident that they happened to be standing where the ground opened and closed.

Tom: Again I would reiterate that if you want to understand the character of God, and His judgment, the place to go is to Jesus Christ. All that needs to be known about God, or can be known about God, is found in Him.

Where did He torture or kill those who disagreed with Him? How did He react to those who rejected Him? By answering these questions, we can determine how God will respond, because when we've seen Jesus, we've seen the Father.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13243
04/30/05 06:52 AM
04/30/05 06:52 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your view of the wrath of God reminds of a grenade. Sinners are like grenades in the hand of God with the pin pulled. As soon as He releases His grip they explode. But this view doesn't explain the flood, the fires of Sodom, the plagues of Egypt, the death of David's son, etc. None of these situations can be explained as natural causes or consequences. They occured because God either caused them Himself or allowed someone else to cause them. Rebelling against the authority of Moses doesn't cause an earthquake to suddenly swallow you up, or cause the Red Sea to suddenly drown you - as if things like this would happen naturally if God wasn't holding back such results.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13244
04/30/05 10:02 AM
04/30/05 10:02 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
1- Tom, I mean depriving someone of life. Can this never be an act of mercy?

2- You said
quote:
The Spirit of Prophesy tells us that all that needs to be known about God or can be known about God was revealed in Jesus Christ.
This is both in His life and in His death. What killed Christ? Our sins in and of themselves? Or God's wrath against sin?

Re: Behold the Lamb #13245
04/30/05 05:34 PM
04/30/05 05:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If I may interject here; Jesus endured and suffered the wrath of God, and He tasted the second death before He died the first death, but nothing actually "killed" Him, rather He laid down His life voluntarily and took it up again three days later.

John
10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one shepherd.
10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13246
04/30/05 05:49 PM
04/30/05 05:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
No, Tom, there is more to God than what Jesus revealed during His sojourn as a human being. The way God, that is, Jesus Christ, dealt with sinners in the OT is what God is like. He is slow to anger but will in no wise clear the guilty.

John
16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.
16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.

1 Corinthians
10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
10:5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
10:7 Neither be ye idolaters, as [were] some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
10:8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
10:9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13247
04/30/05 06:21 PM
04/30/05 06:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
If I may interject here; Jesus endured and suffered the wrath of God, and He tasted the second death before He died the first death, but nothing actually "killed" Him, rather He laid down His life voluntarily and took it up again three days later.
I beg to differ, Mike. This is what is called, in theological jargon, one of the "divine paradoxes", that is, statements that are apparently conflicting, but which are just two sides of the same coin.
Christ said nobody took His life from Him (John 10:18), but at the same time He said men would kill Him (Matt. 17:23, Mark 9:31). The fact is that Christ was killed because He let Himself be killed. The Bible says Christ was the Lamb that was slain.

Re: Behold the Lamb #13248
04/30/05 06:49 PM
04/30/05 06:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, your view of the wrath of God reminds of a grenade. Sinners are like grenades in the hand of God with the pin pulled. As soon as He releases His grip they explode.
An interesting metaphor.

Regarding the plagues, flood, and so on, once again I would reiterate that you are looking in the wrong place. If you want to understand God's character, the place to look is in Jesus Christ, who was given to us for the very purpose of making God known to us. Where in Christ is seen the picture of God's wrath that you have? Or, more generally, where in Christ is seen the picture of God's character that you have?

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/25/24 04:33 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/26/24 05:49 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!