HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13345
08/12/05 10:31 PM
08/12/05 10:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the moneychangers, they were driven out by the force of truth against their conscience. The description in the Desire of Ages makes this clear. Jesus didn't use any physical force to drive them out. Jesus never used force. Force is contrary to the principles of God's govenment. It is used only in Satan's government. Force is the last resort of all false religion.

Regarding punishment, the quote I provided explains that in the final plagues God punishes sin by withdrawing His protection from those who have rejected Him. She makes the same point in the chapter on the destruction of Jerusalem.

What do you think this means?

Matthew 22:1-14 [1] Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: [2] "The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. [3] He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come. [4] "Then he sent some more servants and said, `Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.' [5] "But they paid no attention and went off -- one to his field, another to his business. [6] The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. [7] The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13346
08/13/05 02:59 AM
08/13/05 02:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
MM: I would appreciate an answer for each of these questions.

MM: Why did He have to … crack a whip and turn over tables?

quote:
What do you think this means?

“Thus the Jewish people sealed their rejection of God's mercy. The result was foretold by Christ in the parable. The king ‘sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.’ The judgment pronounced came upon the Jews in the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of the nation.” {COL 308.3}

quote:
MM: Did God or Satan cause the Flood that killed millions of children?

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13347
08/13/05 04:22 AM
08/13/05 04:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is actually the parable I had in mind:

quote:
Mark 12:1-12 "He then began to speak to them in parables: A man planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a pit for the winepress and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and went away on a journey. At harvest time he sent a servant to the tenants to collect from them some of the fruit of the vineyard. But they seized him, beat him and sent him away empty-handed. Then he sent another servant to them; they struck this man on the head and treated him shamefully. He sent still another, and that one they killed. He sent many others; some of them they beat, others they killed. He had one left to send, a son, whom he loved. He sent him last of all, saying, 'They will respect my son.' But the tenants said to one another, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.' So they took him and killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard. What then will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and kill those tenants and give the vineyard to others.
How do you understand this? (especially the part in bold) Would you agree that this is dealing with the destruction of Jerusalem? (The parable I actually cited also works, and you have correctly identified that with the destruction of Jerusalam, so we can come back to that if necessary. But this one is even more to the point)

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13348
08/13/05 06:31 PM
08/13/05 06:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The parable, as a prophecy, was fulfilled when the Roman army killed the Jews in AD 70. In this case, they were the means God employed to kill the Jews. God did not kill them Himself. Instead, He hired, as it were, "hit men" to do the work for Him.

I would appreciate it you would eventually address the issues and questions raised in my last post.

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13349
08/14/05 05:18 AM
08/14/05 05:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: The parable, as a prophecy, was fulfilled when the Roman army killed the Jews in AD 70. In this case, they were the means God employed to kill the Jews. God did not kill them Himself. Instead, He hired, as it were, "hit men" to do the work for Him.

Tom: Ok, I agree with you that the parable appears to state that God will kill the Jews. In the parable, the owner of the vineyard represents God, and the parable states that the owner of the vineyard would kill those who murdered His Son.

In the destruction of Jerusslem, what happened? Did God kill the Jews? You appear to be saying that God used the Romans to kill the Jews. If that's what you think, how did God do that? Did He put the idea into their heads that they should kill the Jews? Was it God's will that the Jews be killed? Was God active or passive in the destruction of Jerusalem? Are the principles of the destruction of Jerusalem the same as those involved in the last plagues? Are they the same as those involved in the destruction of the wicked at the end of time? Are they any different than the principles involved in other acts where the wicked are destroyed?

MM: I would appreciate it you would eventually address the issues and questions raised in my last post.

Tom: I'm sorry, but I don't know what these are. I looked back, but it wasn't clear to me what you wanted me to answer. Please reask (unless it's about the flood or Sodom and Gomorrah).

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13350
08/14/05 05:57 AM
08/14/05 05:57 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't know what these are. I looked back, but it wasn't clear to me what you wanted me to answer. Please reask (unless it's about the flood or Sodom and Gomorrah).

Here they are again:
quote:
Are you suggesting God has never punished unsaved sinners for their sins? Are you saying sin always punishes them, and that God never punishes them in addition to them suffering the natural consequences of their sins? What about the rich man who lived lavishly all his life? Did sin punish him before he died? There are lots of sinners who never reap what they sow until after the second resurrection, right? I would appreciate an answer for each of these questions.

Also, you said, “The moneychangers were driven out because sin cannot abide in God's presense.” If sin cannot abide in the presence of God, why, then, did Jesus have to resort to such “unusual tactics”? Divinity flashed through humanity and it terrified them so much so that they fled for their lives. Why did He also crack a whip and turn over tables? Wasn’t the presence of divinity enough to get the job done?

I will be happy to answer your paragraph of questions after you are finished addressing these. Your answers will me help answer your questions.

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13351
08/14/05 07:35 AM
08/14/05 07:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Are you suggesting God has never punished unsaved sinners for their sins?

quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control....The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.(GC 35, 36)
Yes, God punishes sin. The above explains how.

MM: Are you saying sin always punishes them, and that God never punishes them in addition to them suffering the natural consequences of their sins?

Tom: See the above. The general principle is that God wants to save from the result of sin, which will result in the destruction of the wicked. If God's Spirit is persistenly rejected, then ruin will follow. This pattern is seen many times in Scripture.

If God can kill and lie with impunity, then what's the difference between God and Satan?

MM: What about the rich man who lived lavishly all his life? Did sin punish him before he died? There are lots of sinners who never reap what they sow until after the second resurrection, right? I would appreciate an answer for each of these questions.

Tom: Yes. Sin finds its inevitable results in the judgment, not necessarily in this life. Job is a classic example of this, and no better example could be given than Jesus Christ, who did no wrong, yet suffered more than anyone ever has. David commented on the prosperity of the wicked, and said he was perplexed until he went to the sanctuary. In this life there is much injustice, both in terms of the wicked prospering and in the righteous suffering. In the next world, justice will prevail.

MM: Also, you said, “The moneychangers were driven out because sin cannot abide in God's presense.” If sin cannot abide in the presence of God, why, then, did Jesus have to resort to such “unusual tactics”? Divinity flashed through humanity and it terrified them so much so that they fled for their lives. Why did He also crack a whip and turn over tables? Wasn’t the presence of divinity enough to get the job done?

Tom: It would have been enough, yes. One might ask why Christ died on a cross. Wouldn't Gethsemanee have been enough? The answer is the God allowed Christ to suffer on the cross that it might be clearer to us what was happening. He could have just as well have died in Gethsemanee due to our sin without the cross, and indeed He would have if it weren't for God intervening. Similarly simply divinity flashing through humanity would have been enough, but to make things more clear, the scene transpired as it did. Certainly Christ's indignation was much more clear by His acting in the manner that He did than if He had acted differently. Especially for those like us who weren't there.

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13352
08/14/05 04:41 PM
08/14/05 04:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will.

Do you believe God will permit Satan to punish the unsaved at the end of time? While Satan is himself suffering punishment in the lake of fire, is he also punishing the rest of the unsaved?

quote:
If God can kill and lie with impunity, then what's the difference between God and Satan?

God is holy, and Satan is unholy. Just to name a few.

quote:
Yes. Sin finds its inevitable results in the judgment, not necessarily in this life.

But I got the impression from you earlier that God’s way of punishing sinners is simply to withdraw His protection, to allow the natural results of sinning to run its course, and/or to permit Satan to punish them according God’s guidelines? How can these things be true if in fact some sinners never do suffer the natural consequences of sinning until after the second resurrection? Can nature still run its course after the fact, after the sinner has been dead for over 1000 years?

Since the natural consequences of sinning are naturally unpleasant, and since not all sinners automatically reap what they sow the moment they sow it, does that mean God uses supernatural power to overrule the natural results of sinning, to prevent them from reaping what they sow? If so, why? Wouldn’t that cause them to believe a lie about the cause and effect relationship between sinning and punishment? Wouldn’t it mislead them into thinking there is nothing wrong with sinning?

For those who do suffer the natural consequences of their sins in this lifetime why is it necessary for God to resurrect them at the end of time? The results of sinning that they suffered before they died would suffice to convince us in heaven, during the pre-second resurrection judgment, that they received what they deserved. What more can we learn from their sins and experience by watching them suffer and die a second time in the lake of fire? If the wages of sin is death, why resurrect them?

In the case of King David numbering the children of Israel, did the 70,000 that the angel of the LORD killed with pestilence suffer the natural consequences of sin? Or, did God takes measures to punish them in a way that wasn’t the natural results of sinning? How could God offer King David three choices? Can God really tailor make the consequences of sinning? Is there any reason to believe that the angel of the LORD was an evil angel?

2 Samuel
24:15 So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.
24:16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.
24:17 And David spake unto the LORD when he saw the angel that smote the people, and said, Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father's house.

4aSG 492, 493
The work of numbering Israel is not fully completed before David feels convicted that he has committed a great sin against God. He sees his error, and humbles himself before God, confessing his great sin in foolishly numbering the people. But his repentance came too late. The word had already gone forth from the Lord to his faithful prophet, to carry a message to David, and offer him his choice of punishments for his transgression. David still shows that he has confidence in God. He chooses to fall into the hands of a merciful God, rather than be left to the cruel mercies of wicked men. {4aSG 92.2}

Swift destruction followed. Seventy thousand were destroyed by pestilence. David and the elders of Israel were in the deepest humiliation, mourning before the Lord. As the angel of the Lord was on his way to destroy Jerusalem, God bids him to stay his work of death. A pitiful God loves his people still, notwithstanding their rebellion. The angel clad in warlike garments, with a drawn sword in his hand, stretched out over Jerusalem, is revealed to David, and to those who were with him. David is terribly afraid, yet he cries out in his distress, and his compassion for Israel. He begs of God to save the sheep. In anguish he confesses, "I have sinned, and I have done wickedly. Let thine hand be against me, and against my father's house, and not upon the people."

God speaks to David by his prophet, and bids him make atonement for his sin. David's heart was in the work, and his repentance was accepted. The threshing-floor of Araunah is offered him freely, where to build an altar unto the Lord; also cattle, and everything needful for the sacrifice. But David tells him who would make this generous offering, that the Lord will accept the sacrifice which he is willing to make, but that he would not come before the Lord with an offering which cost him nothing. He would buy it of him for full price. He offered there burnt-offerings and peace-offerings. God accepted the offering by answering David in sending fire from Heaven to consume the sacrifice. The angel of God was commanded to put his sword into his sheath, and cease his work of destruction. {4aSG 92.3}

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13353
08/14/05 07:36 PM
08/14/05 07:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom: (quoting EGW)By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will.

MM: Do you believe God will permit Satan to punish the unsaved at the end of time? While Satan is himself suffering punishment in the lake of fire, is he also punishing the rest of the unsaved?

Tom: I believe the death of the wicked will take place as outlines in DA 764, which I'll quote at the end.

Old Tom: If God can kill and lie with impunity, then what's the difference between God and Satan?

MM: God is holy, and Satan is unholy. Just to name a few.

Tom: Holiness is defined by God's law. But if God is acting contrary to His law, then He is not being holy, is He? So my question remains, if God can lie and kill with impunity, has is He any different than Satan, or any other unrighteous being? If God acts contrary to His law, His is acting in an unrightoues manner.

Old Tom: Yes. Sin finds its inevitable results in the judgment, not necessarily in this life.

Mm: But I got the impression from you earlier that God’s way of punishing sinners is simply to withdraw His protection, to allow the natural results of sinning to run its course, and/or to permit Satan to punish them according God’s guidelines? How can these things be true if in fact some sinners never do suffer the natural consequences of sinning until after the second resurrection? Can nature still run its course after the fact, after the sinner has been dead for over 1000 years?

Tom: Sometimes Satan chooses to prosper the wicked, as Claudia's quote explains.

MM: Since the natural consequences of sinning are naturally unpleasant, and since not all sinners automatically reap what they sow the moment they sow it, does that mean God uses supernatural power to overrule the natural results of sinning, to prevent them from reaping what they sow?

Tom: Yes, He does this for all of us. We have all sinned; we should all be dead. It is by the grace of God that any of us are alive. To the death of Christ, we owe even this earthly life. (DA Chapter 72 "In Rememberance of Me")

MM: If so, why?

Tom: So we can live.

MM: Wouldn’t that cause them to believe a lie about the cause and effect relationship between sinning and punishment? Wouldn’t it mislead them into thinking there is nothing wrong with sinning?

Tom: This is a problem God has to face. If He does nothing, then we'd all be destroyed. If He acts too much, then sin is not seen to have the effects that it has. When sin does has results, such as the Tsunami which hit at the end of last year, God gets blamed. God seems to get the short end of the stick no matter what He does. His blessings, providences, mercy, compassion, patience and graciousness are taken as signs of weakness and as carte blanche for sinning, and when He withdraws His protection and allows Satan to do his will, God gets blamed for it with many, even among those who bear His name, thinking He is responsible for the acts which Satan performs.

MM: For those who do suffer the natural consequences of their sins in this lifetime why is it necessary for God to resurrect them at the end of time?

Tom: Say a person smokes and gets lung cancer. This person is experiencing the consequences of sin. However, this has nothing to do with the judgment. Your question as to why God resurrects the wicked is an interesting one. It's hard to treat it adequtately in a couple of sentences. It would make for a good topic. Briefly God resurrects the wicked for reasons which are in harmony with His character, which is for the blessing of His children, just as everything He does is.

MM: The results of sinning that they suffered before they died would suffice to convince us in heaven, during the pre-second resurrection judgment, that they received what they deserved. What more can we learn from their sins and experience by watching them suffer and die a second time in the lake of fire? If the wages of sin is death, why resurrect them?

Tom: The death of which sin is the wages is not a death which can be experienced in this lifetime (excluding Christ). Your whole question presupposes that the purpose of resurrecting the wicked is so that onlookers can see they get what they deserve. This is a rather callous way of looking at things, IMO. Remember some of these wicked are our loved ones, including friends/children/spouses/parents, etc. All of them are God's chlidren, and He will suffer incredibly when they meet their final death.

Re: God has killed millions of children! Why? #13354
08/14/05 07:38 PM
08/14/05 07:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old MM:I will be happy to answer your paragraph of questions after you are finished addressing these. Your answers will me help answer your questions.

Tom: Ok. I'm interested in your response.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!