HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,071
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,341 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Re: Destruction of the wicked #13618
06/25/05 03:13 AM
06/25/05 03:13 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Roseangela: Will you please give me your opinion about these clear statements?:

""Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power." DA., 759.

"The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority."
ibid., 22.

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13619
06/24/05 10:31 PM
06/24/05 10:31 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
OK, but by saying "the pain to God's heart" are you referring to His wrath or not? IOW, is God's wrath against sin, His abhorrence for sin, something which exists today?
God's wrath against sin exists today, but is only sometimes manifest, usually not. This is God's giving sinners over to the results of their sin, which sometimes happens in this lifetime, and sometimes not (Job's a perfect example of the not. David also mused about many of the wicked, who also are not).

God's abhorrence for sin is constant, however. God hates sin because it causes pain, suffering, misery and death to His children, whom He loves.

Regarding the pain in God's heart, I meant simply that. That is, sin causes God suffering, because it harms those whom He loves. God's righteous character demands that He hate something which harms, hurts, destroys, causes pain and so on to those He loves.

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13620
06/25/05 04:03 AM
06/25/05 04:03 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
True: God has recorded in minute detail those occasions when His wrath has been manifested. The Bible is full of them, human history books are void of them...except insurance books which label all disasters an "act of God".

The Bible uses the terms "giving up" "gave them over" and many other similar expressions which are very revealing in the matter of God's wrath.

As I have stated, I see an aspect of "wrath" as the "God's turning away in revulsion from man for the hardness of their hearts."

2 Chronicles 30:7 "And be not ye like your fathers, and like your brethren, which trespassed against the LORD God of their fathers, [who] therefore gave them up to desolation, as ye see.
30:8 Now be ye not stiffnecked, as your fathers [were, but] yield yourselves unto the LORD, and enter into His sanctuary, which he hath sanctified for ever: and serve the LORD your God, that the fierceness of His wrath may turn away from you."

Psalms 81:10 I [am] the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
81:11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
81:12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: [and] they walked in their own counsels."

I could go on...however "two witnesses" should be enough.

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13621
06/26/05 05:05 PM
06/26/05 05:05 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom and Ikan,
God’s wrath against sin exists since the moment sin began to exist, and will last till sin is eliminated from the universe. God is restraining His wrath for a time, but He must eliminate sin, for sin is an evil ruinous to the universe. Eliminating sin is a deliberate act of God but it can in no way be classified as an act of force. God’s act is primarily against sin. The sinner will be destroyed because he is identified with sin. Sad, but unavoidable.

[ June 26, 2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Rosangela ]

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13622
06/26/05 05:59 PM
06/26/05 05:59 PM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Restating one's beliefs while refusing to answer a candid set of questions for weeks on end,
Avoiding trains of direct responses to your own posts, these don't fair well for Berean discussion.

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13623
06/27/05 01:41 AM
06/27/05 01:41 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
R: God’s wrath against sin exists since the moment sin began to exist, and will last till sin is eliminated from the universe. God is restraining His wrath for a time, but He must eliminate sin, for sin is an evil ruinous to the universe. Eliminating sin is a deliberate act of God but it can in no way be classified as an act of force. God’s act is primarily against sin. The sinner will be destroyed because he is identified with sin. Sad, but unavoidable.

T: If by "wrath" you mean "anger" or "hatred", it's true that God has always hated sin. He must, since it causes pain, misery and death to His children, whom He loves. Scripturally God's wrath is not constantly exercized, but is manifested when He "gives up" those against whom it is exercized to the results of their choice. (Deut 31:17, 18; Jer. 33:5; 2 Chron 29: 6, 8; 2 Kings 17:17-20; Ps. 27:9; Ps. 89:46; Ps. 143:7; Hosea 9:12; Lam. 2:5-7; Rom. 1:18-26)

You're correct that God's elimination of sin is not an act of force. It is His "giving up" those who have rejected Him to the results of their sin.

quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)
An interesting and important point is that it is the same thing which gives life to the righteous which causes the death of the wicked:

quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13624
06/27/05 09:44 AM
06/27/05 09:44 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Don't you mean "Phil: You're correct that God's elimination of sin is not an act of force. It is His "giving up" those who have rejected Him to the results of their sin."

I don't think Roseangela endorses this concept, and your post was written so that it looks to the "skimmers" that she had.

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13625
06/27/05 02:15 PM
06/27/05 02:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Ikan,

I have already stated my position over and over again in the several discussions about this subject. Anything else I might say would be just a repetition of what I have already said, but since you insist, I'll comment on the passages you quoted. Of course, like you, I don’t think that God kills with a blood-thirsty revenge heart. God is love, and there is no hatred in His heart except for sin. But sin is an evil ruinous to the universe, and He has fixed a day (Acts 17:31) on which He will eliminate it from His kingdom. Of course sin does not have an independent existence, but resides in the mind of sinners, and when God manifests His wrath against sin, which has been restrained for so long, sinners will be destroyed. God’s wrath against sin won’t affect negatively the righteous, because, like God, they also hate sin, but it will produce an unbearable agony in the wicked, which will cause their destruction. At the same time, externally, “the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up” (2 Pet. 3:10), and this fire will obviously consume the wicked. If it is your opinion that this is an arbitrary act on the part of God, or that by so doing He is using compelling power, I’m sorry but you will have to live with this, for this is what will happen.

Another thing is that you take some texts and apply them out of context.

First, when Ellen White speaks about force, she is no doubt referring to coercive or compelling power, as the passages you quoted make clear:

"Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power." ibid., 759.

"The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority." ibid., 22.

On the other hand, she says that

The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being.” {GC 541}

It is also true that it is written “God destroys no man”. But which is the context of these statements? In every single stance they are related to the case of pharaoh and all those who commit the sin against the Holy Spirit. What she means is that the sinner is responsible for the destruction of his own soul. The sentence that "God destroys no man" is followed by explanatory statements like, “The responsibility rests upon the sinner. By resisting the Spirit of God today, he prepares the way for a second resistance of light when it comes with mightier power; and thus he will pass from one stage of indifference to another, until, at last, the light will fail to impress him, and he will cease to respond in any measure to the Spirit of God” (RH, February 17, 1891). “ God did not compel Pharaoh to be lost. Every man who is lost destroys himself. When a man turns from the light given of God, and refuses to walk in it, that light becomes darkness to him.” (PH152 10.1). “The sinner destroys himself by his own impenitence. ... We want all to understand how the soul is destroyed. It is not that God sends out a decree that man shall not be saved. He does not throw a darkness before the eyes which cannot be penetrated. But man at first resists a motion of the Spirit of God, and, having once resisted, it is less difficult to do so the second time, less the third, and far less the fourth. Then comes the harvest to be reaped from the seed of unbelief and resistance. Oh what a harvest of sinful indulgences is preparing for the sickle! (5T 120.2)

On the other hand, she says clearly that

“A great price has been paid for the redemption of man, and none who are untruthful, impure, or unrighteous can enter the kingdom of heaven. If men do not make Christ their personal Saviour, and become true and pure and holy, there is only one course for the Lord to pursue. He must destroy the sinner, for evil natures cannot inherit the kingdom of God. Thus it is that sin, if not destroyed, will destroy the sinner, just as Satan designed it should.” {16MR 273.3}

"But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. ... The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." {DA 107}

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13626
06/28/05 03:23 AM
06/28/05 03:23 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for your patience, Rosangela. It's true you have stated your position many times, but what you are writing now is a bit different than what you've written before. And there's nothing wrong with this. We've been dialoging back and forth, and if we have open minds, it's only natural that our positions should evolve. This is a good thing, and I'm not speaking only of you, but will include myself as well.

On the first paragraph you wrote, I agree with everything you wrote. I'm having some difficulty seeing what it is we disagree on, provided you hold:
1) There will come a specific time when God will act to do away with sin, which He does for the good of the Universe.
2) How He does this can in no way be classified as a use of force.

quote:
Eliminating sin is a deliberate act of God but it can in no way be classified as an act of force.
3) The earth will be burned up and the wicked will be consumed.
4) The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

I believe these 4 things to be true, and based on your post, and the previous one to it, it appears to me that you do as well. So it seems to me that we have a lot of common ground (and, indeed, it is a bit unclear to me what our uncommon ground is, if we agree on these 4 points).

The key to this, it seems to me, is point 4, which makes it clear that THE SAME THING which gives life to the righteous is what slays the wicked. If we get this one point, it seems to me, we won't be off on the big picture.

Re: Destruction of the wicked #13627
06/28/05 02:55 PM
06/28/05 02:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Sometimes I also get confused, but there are points of disagreement, otherwise we wouldn’t be discussing for such long a time.
It seems to me there is a difference in our perspective. Your position is that it is sin which kills (with God having a passive role), while my position is that it is God who kills (although reluctantly), because He has to destroy sin.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 10/22/24 02:32 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!