HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 30 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 29 30
Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14313
06/24/05 03:43 AM
06/24/05 03:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Unless someone wants to say that fetuses transgress God's law in the womb; that's the only way we can be born sinners!
If I'm not mistaken, this is what MM was saying, but I have trouble fathoming fetus sins.

It's a difficult subect to parse correctly. The way I would put it, taking into account things brought out in this thread, is that infants are born with sinful natures which, apart from God's grace, can do nothing but sin. Christ was also born this way (just considering His humanity here). For infants there is a connection with the parents which makes it possible for infants to be "connected" to God. God has not explained the details of this to us. We know that Christ's parents were carefully chosen. We are told that it is mystery unexplained to mortals how Christ was able to remain sinless as an infant/young child.

The easier way for me to conceive of things, rather than trying to decipher the exact point at which one becomes a sinner, which I believe is irrelevant, is in terms of character. God will take everyone to heaven who would be happy there, regardless of the age. If one's character is in harmony with the principles of heaven, or one's character yet to be developed (in the case of infants), then God will take such a one to heaven. This makes sense to me, and has the advantage of being simple.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14314
06/24/05 03:55 AM
06/24/05 03:55 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

quote:
Christ partook of the same heredity that we do, without exception.
Of course not. Christ did not have sinful propensities, which means He was not born selfish.

John,

quote:
The Bible says it's sin that separates us from God (Isaiah 59:2), not being born
We are born selfish, and selfishness is sin. In fact, selfishness is the satanic nature, in the same way that love is the divine nature.

Ephesians 2:3 and so we were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14315
06/23/05 04:36 PM
06/23/05 04:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Christ partook of the same heredity that we do, without exception.
R: Of course not. Christ did not have sinful propensities, which means He was not born selfish.

T: You're misapplying EGW's use of the word "propensities." Sinful propensities, as she used the term, refers to cultivated habits, not genetic predisposition. She says we need not retain our sinful propensities, which would of course be impossible if they were genetic.

quote:
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)
Christ accepted the law of heredity, whose effects are shown in the history of His ancestors. What are those effects? Murder, adultery, and the basest sort of sins. This was the heredity which Christ took. He had no special exemption over us. This is a Catholic idea.

That Christ took our fallen nature with all of its tendencies was a central part of the preaching of Jones and Waggoner which EGW strongly endorsed, and she specifically endorsed this particular feature of their message. Plus no other view than the post-lapsarian view (i.e. Christ took the nature of fallen Adam, being tempted in all points as we are, including from within) appeared in SDA literature for about the first 100 years of the SDA church.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14316
06/24/05 02:01 PM
06/24/05 02:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
T: You're misapplying EGW's use of the word "propensities." Sinful propensities, as she used the term, refers to cultivated habits, not genetic predisposition.
This is not at all what the text says:

“Because of sin, his [Adam’s] posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden. {13MR 18.1}

quote:
She says we need not retain our sinful propensities, which would of course be impossible if they were genetic.
Do we need to retain selfishness?

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14317
06/25/05 03:46 AM
06/25/05 03:46 AM
Ikan  Offline OP
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
The Victorian usage of the word "propensity" is often missaplied today in SDA circles.

Here is Webster's two meaning:

1.a natural inclination or tendency; bent

2.[Obscure] favorable inclination; bias (for)

The first sounds applicable to genetic and/or learned twists in personality.

But the other, being the old usage, I feel the one EGW would have used, appears to be a matter of decision and will, a relish, attraction or enjoyment. This Christ could not have had toward any sin.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14318
06/25/05 03:51 AM
06/25/05 03:51 AM
Ikan  Offline OP
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
I don't know, Tom: I agree with the general tone of your last few posts, but can we not have freedom when trully born again from our genetic propensities as well? Is the drunk's gene to always rule over the redeemed, or is rebirth actual recreation, rewiring, recoding, if we have the faith of Jesus?

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14319
06/24/05 05:46 PM
06/24/05 05:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Since a fetus is a human being, in every sense of the word, it starts developing character in the womb. Please review the quotes regarding this point earlier on in this thread. Infants are born selfish. No doubt about it. We are by nature the children of wrath. We must be born again. Why? Because our first birth is sinful and defective.

Our will is under the control of Satan. We cannot not sin until we're born again. If we are born sinless, and continue to be sinless until around age 12 (as some believe), then we need not be born again until after 12, which would mean Jesus did not die for children, only adults, which, of course, sounds (and is) heretical.

Jesus was born with the same sinful flesh nature we possess, but He was born like a born again believer, not like an unsaved sinner. There is a huge difference between the two. So, yes, His sinful nature clamored for sinful expression the same as a born again believer, but He never once yielded to it. So it may be with us. Like Jesus, we too can recognize and resist the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated by our fallen flesh nature. By staying connected to Jesus we can be more than conquerors - just like Jesus.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14320
06/24/05 09:08 PM
06/24/05 09:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
T: You're misapplying EGW's use of the word "propensities." Sinful propensities, as she used the term, refers to cultivated habits, not genetic predisposition.

R: This is not at all what the text says:

“Because of sin, his [Adam’s] posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden. {13MR 18.1}

T: It is what the text says, and it would have to be, or else she would be contradicting Haskell, Jones, Prescott, Waggoner, and most of all herself in many other explicit statements and endorsements. As I mentioned previously, the entire SDA denomination did not know of even the idea that Christ took a pre-fallen nature until after nearly 100 years. The first time this idea appeared in print, if memory serves, was in 1947 in a Ministry magazine.

Also the statement you are quoting from is a private letter, which if we are going to follow her own counsel on how she said her own writings should be used, we shouldn't even be considering. She said if we wanted to know her opinion on a given subject we should consult her published works, which is why I was quoting from The Desire of Ages, which is her definitive statement on Christology (the subject matter of the book being the life of Christ).

But even if you look at the text (which according to her counsel we shouldn't be) you will notice it says, "He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity." This makes it clear she was considering "propensity" not as something genetic, but as having to do with sinning.

Note: He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity.

This statement is absolute nonsense if we consider it to be genetic. Let's try it out and see:

He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him sinful genes.

Old Tom:She says we need not retain our sinful propensities, which would of course be impossible if they were genetic.

R: Do we need to retain selfishness?

T: We need to be partakers of the divine nature by faith and overcome the promptings of our flesh, just as Christ did.

The following statement is one amongs many which makes clear that Christ took our fallen, sinful human nature (or equivalent partook of our sinful flesh)

quote:
Adam was tempted by the enemy, and he fell. It was not indwelling sin which caused him to yield; for God made him pure and upright, in His own image. He was as faultless as the angels before the throne. There were in him no corrupt principles, no tendencies to evil. But when Christ came to meet the temptations of Satan, He bore "the likeness of sinful flesh." (BE 9/3/00)
Note the the likeness of sinful flesh is contrasted to Adam, who had no corrupt principles or tendencies to evil.

Note the "but".

Also note the following from the Desire of Ages (same quote as before)

quote:
It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)
The emphasized part is very important. Some have the mistaken idea that Christ's taking our natures simply means He could grow weary or hungry like we do. But when EGW speaks of His accepting the great law of heredity, she clarifies what she means by pointing out that the results are shown by the history of His earthly ancestors. What was this history? It was not a history of growing weary or hungry, but a history of sin; a history of murder, adultery and many other base sins. *This* was the heredity of which Christ partook, and she explains why: "He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life."

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14321
06/24/05 09:56 PM
06/24/05 09:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I don't know, Tom: I agree with the general tone of your last few posts, but can we not have freedom when trully born again from our genetic propensities as well? Is the drunk's gene to always rule over the redeemed, or is rebirth actual recreation, rewiring, recoding, if we have the faith of Jesus?
Sure we can have freedom from the effect of our bad genes, but our bad genes remain. Christ had the same bad genes we have, but He triumphed over them. We can participate in His victory by faith.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14322
06/24/05 10:12 PM
06/24/05 10:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Since a fetus is a human being, in every sense of the word, it starts developing character in the womb.

Tom: It develops a potential for developing character, but character has to do with making decisions, integrity and such things. What decisions does a fetus make?

MM: Please review the quotes regarding this point earlier on in this thread. Infants are born selfish. No doubt about it.

Tom: Christ was an infant. Therefore Christ was born selfish. This disproves your assertion, sinc e the conclusion is absurd.

So let's try this one: All infants with the exception of Christ are born selfish. This doesn't have the difficult of being immediately disproveable, but what is the basis for this assertion?

MM: We are by nature the children of wrath. We must be born again. Why? Because our first birth is sinful and defective.

T: We must be born again because of unbelief. That's what Jesus says in John 3. What's the basis of your assertion that we must be born again because our first birth is sinful and defective?

MM: Our will is under the control of Satan. We cannot not sin until we're born again.

T: If you mean be this that we cannot overcome sin without being born again, I agree. If you mean we can do nothing but sin without being born again, I don't agree with that. That sounds like original sin where we are tainted by our heredity. This is not SDA theology. But I may be misunderstanding you, so I'll stop here.

MM: If we are born sinless,
and continue to be sinless until around age 12 (as some believe),

Tom: I don't know anybody who believes this. Who are you thinking of?

MM: then we need not be born again until after 12, which would mean Jesus did not die for children, only adults, which, of course, sounds (and is) heretical.

T: This whole sentence is non-sensical. First of all, nobody that I've ever heard of believes anybody remains sinless until age 12. Everything Christ did, not just His death, but His life, death, and resurrection (and ministry and Second Coming) is for all of humanity. This has nothing to do with when one reaches the age of accountability. The entire race was restored to favor with God but Christ's work (1SM 343). This includes infants of course.

MM: Jesus was born with the same sinful flesh nature we possess, but He was born like a born again believer, not like an unsaved sinner.

T: What is your basis for asserting this? I'm aware of a statement that it is a mystery unexplained to mortals how Christ remained sinless as a child, but I'm not aware of a statement saying what you are saying.

MM: There is a huge difference between the two. So, yes, His sinful nature clamored for sinful expression the same as a born again believer, but He never once yielded to it. So it may be with us. Like Jesus, we too can recognize and resist the unholy thoughts and feelings generated and communicated by our fallen flesh nature. By staying connected to Jesus we can be more than conquerors - just like Jesus.

Tom: I agree with this last part, mostly, but I wouldn't say "His sinful nature" myself, as this may be misunderstood, but I understand your intent, and agree that we may overcome in our flesh as Christ did.

Page 9 of 30 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!