HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30
Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14383
07/11/05 02:07 AM
07/11/05 02:07 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
MM: The mind of our old man (our cultivated sinful traits of character) is the personification (manifestation) of the mind of our sinful flesh nature (our inherited sinful traits of character).It sounds like you also make a distinction between cultivated and inherited sinful traits of character.
The “mind of the flesh” would be the physical inherited and cultivated tendencies; the physical genetic inheritance as well as cultivated habits.

The mind of the flesh does not have “character”, that belongs to the “heart-spirit”. Character cannot be inherited. Temperaments yes, but not character. Character is the domain of the person. It is developed through judgment and practice.

There is however a disposition inherited to mind the flesh.

The “mind of the old man” is of the “heart-spirit” aspect, and could be carnal, educated, pagan, religious, pharisaical… whatever else.
It could also work contrary to the mind of the flesh, but would still not be from above.

In other words: Saul (Paul as in the mind of the old man) was a Pharisee, educated, disciplined, religious. This is normally not the mind of the flesh, nor was it inherited. It was cultivated. There are many that put down their body and despise it religiously; still the mind of the old man, but not the mind of the flesh. How one is brought up and how he responds to the upbringing, has a lot to do with the “old man”.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14384
07/11/05 05:14 AM
07/11/05 05:14 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe our sinful flesh is what generates and communicates unholy thoughts and feelings, which we must recognize and resist as if it were the very voice of Satan. Our sinful old man traits of character are the results of repeatedly giving in to the mind of our fallen flesh (i.e., that part of our sinful nature that wants us to meet our legitmate needs for food and fellowship [and all other aspects related to appetites and passions] in a sinful way).

Are we saying the same thing?

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14385
07/11/05 05:17 AM
07/11/05 05:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John: “His nature recoiled from evil”
Was it his “heart-spirit” or his flesh that recoiled from evil?

Tom: The word "nature" can mean many things, depending on the context. Webster's online lists 9 definitions. The printed dictionary I'm sure would show many more definitions than this. As the Spirit of Prophesy points out, there is not a one to one correspondence of meanings and words. We just need to do the best we can with the limitations of language we're stuck with.

In ths quote above, it's obvious that Christ's flesh is not being referred to. Of the one's given by Webster, this one appears to me to be the closest: "a spontaneous attitude (as of generosity)"

John: “actually taking upon Himself sinful nature.”
Was it our “sinful heart-spirit” that he took upon himself or was it “sinful flesh”?

Tom: This is clearly refering to Christ's flesh, or genetic makeup. The context in which the SOP uses the phrase "sinful nature" (or "fallen nature" or "degenerate nature" or other synonymns) makes this clear.

John: Since “nature” has lost definition, I have been hard-done by trying to find a scriptural synonym for “nature”; so I would like to introduce a compound expression “heart-spirit” for “nature”. This is the closest I could come up with that would give it scriptural meaning.

If we clarify the meaning and return to scriptural definition, we will understand better what they were saying, what we are saying, and what the scriptures are saying.

So let us use “sinful flesh” where such is meant,
and let us use “sinful heart-spirit” and “divine heart-spirit” where such is meant.

I hope this will be adopted.

Tom: Why not just speak of the mind? The Scriptures speak of the "mind of Christ" so this is certainly Scriptural. Or "attitude of Christ" was some versions put it, which would also agree with Webster's definition.

It's a challenge to get these things right, isn't it? We first need to get the ideas right, then express them in clear ways. We have both the fuzziness of our own thoughts, and the impreciseness of language to deal with.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14386
07/11/05 05:24 AM
07/11/05 05:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John: Tom I find your intentional use of the word “nature” synonymous with “flesh” disturbing. Please do not excuse yourself on ‘countless SDA authors’. I have no contention with them.

I would like you to define your thought as “sinful flesh” and stop using “nature” as a synonym for “flesh” which scripture does not allow.

Tom: I've written hundreds of pages on this subject, John, over many years. It's not an "intentional" usage designed to upset you. It's simply the way the phrase is commonly used when discussing Christology, not just by Adventists, but by non-Adventists as well. You are suggesting a non-standard usage to replace it, which is only used by yourself, as far as I know.

If you are happy with the term "sinful flesh" as opposed to "sinful nature" I will try to abide by that, but please be patient, as again, I've used the term "sinful nature" in the way others, and myself, are accustomed to use it literally thousands of times, so it's not so easy to change something like that on a dime.

John: These are two definitely different meanings and must be kept so. Without this difference you can talk forever to no end and no understanding.

Tom: I agree that it's important to make meanings clear, and language should reflect this, but in defence of my usage of the term "sinful nature" I would reiterate the agruments I have set forth previously, that Ellen White, A. T. Jones, Waggoner, Presscott and countless other SDA's and non-SDA's have used the term the same way. Nevertheless in deference to your request, I will try to avoid the term.

John: If you are quoting, then please clarify which meaning you think was used.

I hope this will be adopted.

Tom: I'm only aware of one meaning for "sinful nature" ever being used, which is "sinful flesh."

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14387
07/11/05 05:31 AM
07/11/05 05:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the old man and the mind of the flesh, I think I see these terms as MM has been describing them, and John as well, as both are saying the same thing as far as I can tell.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14388
07/11/05 12:12 PM
07/11/05 12:12 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

The statement that Adam could only be tempted from without, while we are tempted from within has no foundation. Appetite is a temptation from within, whether for Adam and Eve, for Christ, or for us. Eve was not tempted just to eat of the fruit because it was “desirable to make one wise”, but also because it was “good for food” (Gen. 3:6).

There was NO difference in the way Adam and Eve were tempted and in the way we are tempted, except for the fact that the natural passions and appetites of human nature had been greatly increased after thousands of years of condescension, so it was much more difficult for Christ (and it is for us) to keep them under subjection, than it was for Adam.

Notice that the essence of temptation continues to be the same:
“So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate” (Gen. 3:6).
“For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world” (1 John 2:16).

Notice the parallel:
Lust of the flesh – "the woman saw that the tree was good for food"
Lust of the eyes – "that it was pleasant to the eyes"
Pride of life – "a tree desirable to make one wise"; "You will be like God, knowing good and evil" (v. 5)

The temptations of Christ also follow the same pattern:
Lust of the flesh - "And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry. The devil said to him, 'If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread'" (Luke 4:2,3).

Lust of the eyes - "Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and SHOWED him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them; and he said to him, 'All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me'" (Matt. 3:8,9).

Pride of life - "And he took him to Jerusalem, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, 'If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here; for it is written: He will give his angels charge of you, to guard you, and: On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone'" (vv. 9-11).

So the essence of temptation is the same, both for fallen and for unfallen beings.

“The enticements which Christ resisted were those that we find it so difficult to withstand. They were urged upon Him in as much greater degree as His character is superior to ours. With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us. {DA 116.4}

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14389
07/11/05 07:05 PM
07/11/05 07:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Adam had no self that had to be denied in order to do God's will, also Eve. They had to go against their biological make up in order to transgress.

We are the other way around. We cannot avoid sinning except for a power outside of ourselves. We are dependent upon the grace of God in order to overcome.

Christ was in the same situation we are, not the situation of Adam. That is, Christ could not have overcome except by relying on God's grace, plus He had a self which had to be denied.

You write there is no difference in the way Adam and Eve was tempted and how we are tempted except in that the natural passions have greatly increased. I disagree with this statement. I'm not sure of what you mean by "natural passions" but whatever they are, we not only have those, but we have unnatural passions as well by which we are tempted, in addition to the natural ones. Secondly, we have a nature which is inclined towards self. We must deny self in order to do God's will, which is an unnatural action for us, impossible apart from God's grace. This was not the case for Adam.

I would agree that the nature of the temptations which Christ faced in the wilderness (and throughout His life) were the same as ours, but not the temptations of Adam and Eve. I see their temptations as much different, because they had neither inherited or cultivated tendencies towards evil. That fundamentally changes the nature of temptation.

Here's another illustration which might help clarify what I mean by being tempted from within (BTW I appreciate your pressing for clarification as it's easy to just use familiar phrases without there being understanding as to what the words actually mean)

quote:
The story is told of a man whose besetting sin was a violent temper. He would frequently become very angry, but he laid all the blame upon the people with whom he lived, who were so exasperating. Nobody, he declared, could do right among such people. So he resolved, as many others have done, to "leave the world," and become a hermit. He chose a cave in the forest for his dwelling-place, far from any other human habitation. In the morning he took his jug to a spring near by to get water for his morning meal. The rock was moss-grown, and the continual flow of water had made it very slippery. As he set his jug down under the stream, it slid away. He put it back, and again it was driven away. Two or three times was this repeated, and each time the replacing of the jug was done with increasing energy. Finally the hermit's patience was utterly exhausted, and exclaiming, "I'll see if you'll not stay!" he picked the vessel up and set it down with such vehemence that it was broken to pieces. There was nobody to blame but himself, and he had the good sense to see that it was not the world around him but the world inside of him that made him sin.(from The Glad Tidings)

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14390
07/12/05 01:34 PM
07/12/05 01:34 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Adam had no self that had to be denied in order to do God's will, also Eve. They had to go against their biological make up in order to transgress.
Tom,

This does not make sense. Of course they had a self to be denied, and they fell exactly because they didn’t deny it.

To deny self is just to do something you wouldn’t like to do, or to abstain from doing something you would like to do, for the love of another.

Christ denied self in heaven. God denied self.

"But in carrying out his enmity toward Christ till he crucified him,-- hung him on the cross of Calvary, with bruised body and broken heart,--Satan completely uprooted himself from the affections of the universe. Christ's death silenced forever the charge that with God self-denial was impossible. It was seen that God denied himself because of his love for mankind." {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 5}

"Christ denied himself. He did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost, and he left the heavenly courts to suffer a life of shame, reproach, insult, and mockery. For our sakes he became poor, that we through his poverty might become rich. He lived a life of self-sacrifice and self-denial, and passed over the ground that we must travel, in order to leave us an example that we might follow in his steps." {ST, June 1, 1891 par. 3}

"In carrying out his enmity to Christ until He hung upon the cross of Calvary, with wounded, bruised body and broken heart, Satan completely uprooted himself from the affections of the universe.It was then seen that God had in His Son denied Himself, giving Himself for the sins of the world, because He loved mankind. The Creator was revealed in the Son of the infinite God. Here the question, 'Can there be self-denial with God?' was forever answered. Christ was God, and condescending to be made flesh, He assumed humanity and became obedient unto death, that He might undergo infinite sacrifice." {1SM 342.1}

"Let us learn what it means to deny self as Christ denied self. He laid aside all that He had with the Father, and clothing His divinity with humanity came to earth that He might teach men and women how they might overcome. We are living in a time of test. Shall we not decide to stand on the side of Christ in this matter?" {2SAT 319.2}

quote:
I would agree that the nature of the temptations which Christ faced in the wilderness (and throughout His life) were the same as ours, but not the temptations of Adam and Eve.
I will quote it again:

"With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us." {DA 116.4}

quote:
I see their temptations as much different, because they had neither inherited or cultivated tendencies towards evil. That fundamentally changes the nature of temptation.
The nature of temptation is the same - to please self. The intensity of temptation can vary. Our temptations are much stronger than those of Adam and Eve, and Christ’s temptations were much stronger than ours.
The essence of temptaion is the same. In this sense, there is no difference between Adam and Eve’s temptations, Christ’s, and ours. Satan tempts all on the basis of "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life". The person yields to temptation “when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin” (James 1:14, AV). The word lust here is epithumea, which the dictionary defines as “desire, longing; lust, passion; covetousness”. It’s the same word used in Romans 7:7 and there translated as covetousness. Covetousness is the root of sin. In order to sin, you must first covet. Eve clearly coveted the fruit before eating it. Satan also coveted the position of God. So, although they were unfallen beings, they were able to covet (i.e., to desire something against the will of God). The desire to possess something is not evil in itself. It becomes evil if you seek to satisfy it independently of God. Thus, there is no difference between the temptation of fallen and unfallen beings. It is generally more automatic for us to yield to temptation mainly because of our cultivated tendencies to evil (as in the case of the illustration you gave); after you sin the first time, sin becomes a habit. Jesus had no cultivated tendencies to evil because He never sinned.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14391
07/12/05 06:02 PM
07/12/05 06:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Another text which can be of help:

"When our first parents were placed in the beautiful garden of Eden, they were tested in regard to their loyalty to God. They were free to choose the service of God, or by disobedience to ally themselves with the enemy of God and man. . . . If they disregard God's commands, and listened to the voice of Satan, as he spoke through the serpent, they would not only forfeit their claim to Eden, but to life itself. {TMK 14.2}
"The first great moral lesson given Adam was that of self-denial. The reins of self-government were placed in his hands. Judgment, reason, and conscience were to bear sway. . . . {TMK 14.3}
"Adam and Eve were permitted to partake of every tree in the Garden save one. There was only a single prohibition. The forbidden tree was as attractive and lovely as any of the trees in the Garden. It was called the tree of knowledge, because in partaking of that tree, of which God had said, 'Thou shalt not eat of it,' (Gen. 2:17) they would have a knowledge of sin, an experience in disobedience." {TMK 14.4}

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14392
07/12/05 08:49 PM
07/12/05 08:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, do you believe the appetites and passions that Adam and Eve possessed manifested themselves in the same way before and after the Fall? Sister White indicates that the nature of mankind changed radically after the Fall. She also says that getting it right is important. “The subjects of the Sabbath, the nature of man, and the testimony of Jesus are the great and important truths to be understood; these will prove as an anchor to hold God's people in these perilous times. {1T 300.1}

PP 53
But should they once yield to temptation, their nature would become so depraved that in themselves they would have no power and no disposition to resist Satan. {PP 53.2}

5BC 1128
The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. {5BC 1128.4}

1BC 1082
The Lord created man out of the dust of the earth. He made Adam a partaker of His life, His nature. There was breathed into him the breath of the Almighty, and he became a living soul. Adam was perfect in form--strong, comely, pure, bearing the image of his Maker (MS 102, 1903). {1BC 1081.7}

3T 343
There is in the nature of man, when not under the direct influence of the Spirit of God, a disposition to envy, jealousy, and cruel distrust, which, if not subdued, will lead to a desire to undermine and tear down others, while selfish spirits will seek to build themselves up upon their ruins. {3T 343.2}

MB 54
It is impossible for man, of himself, to keep this law; for the nature of man is depraved, deformed, and wholly unlike the character of God. The works of the selfish heart are "as an unclean thing;" and "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6. {MB 54.1}

Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!