HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30
Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14393
07/13/05 12:06 AM
07/13/05 12:06 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Rosangela, do you believe the appetites and passions that Adam and Eve possessed manifested themselves in the same way before and after the Fall?
No, Mike, I believe there was a change both in man's spiritual nature and in his appetites and passions. These appetites and passions are now unbalanced, and became "fleshly lusts, which war against the soul."

"Our foes are within and without. We are assailed by temptations which are numerous and deceiving, the more perilous because not always clearly discerned. Often Satan conquers us by our natural inclinations and appetites. These were divinely appointed, and when given to man, were pure and holy. It was God's design that reason should rule the appetites, and that they should minister to our happiness. And when they are regulated and controlled by a sanctified reason, they are holiness unto the Lord.
"But men's natural appetites have been perverted by indulgence. Through unholy gratification they have become 'fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.' Unless the Christian watches unto prayer, he gives loose reign to habits which should be overcome. Unless he feels the need of constant watching, ceaseless vigilance, his inclinations, abused and misguided, will be the means of his backsliding from God." {14MR 294, 295}

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14394
07/13/05 03:59 AM
07/13/05 03:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I wrote a pretty long post in response to Rosangela's post above, but I guess I was in so much of a hurry I didn't post it. Hopefully it's still on my other computer, and I can post it tomorrow.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14395
07/13/05 04:48 AM
07/13/05 04:48 AM
R
Robert Parker  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Adelaide South Australia
Dear Brother,

The two quotes you submitted from Ellen White tell us that our passions and appetites were subverted by indulging them. Would you consider that this means our appetites were not perverted when we were born? It seems to me that, since we are born with evil propensities as a result of Adam and Eve's sins, it is inevitaaable that we will indulge our passions, and thus pervert them evn further.

Robert Parker

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14396
07/13/05 05:35 AM
07/13/05 05:35 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Rosangela. Very nice quote. I agree with you, and it.

Robert, I also agree with you. And welcome to MASDOL.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14397
07/13/05 02:54 PM
07/13/05 02:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Dear Robert,

As far as being born with propensities is concerned, Christ was born with the same propensities we are. Biologically, Christ was no different than we are. How Christ was able to remain sinless as a young child, the Spirit of Prophesy tell us is a mystery not revealed to mortals.

MM has the theory that it was because Christ was born connected to God (I hope I'm expressing his idea correctly). I have heard others who have the same theory. I'm personally unconvinced by the theory, but it seems like a reasonable one. (i.e. I'm not convinced it's wrong either).

Actually I should explain further. I agree that Christ was born connected to God (given whatever that means for an infant), but I think MM thinks this is because He was born "born again" by virture of either His being divine or because He submitted His will to the Father before coming (as in Hebrews) or maybe both, I'm not sure. Anyway I hope I have the theory correct. This is one I've heard by others as well.

The view I lean towards is that Christ's connection as an infant was on the basis of His parents faith. The Spirit of Prophesy speaks of other infants being under grace by virtue of their parent's faith, and it seems reasonable to me that this should apply to Christ as well. However, given that the Spirit of Prophesy tells us that how Christ remained sinless as a child is a mystery which God has not revealed, I try to avoid speculating on this too much.

When Luke refers to the angel's referring to "that holy thing" I understand this to be referring to Christ's divinity (however there are post-lapsarians who think this was applying to Christ's humanity -- "post-lapsarian" means "post-fall" and refers to the idea that Christ took the nature of man after the fall).

Unfortunately, I did lose the long post responding to Rosangela, so I'll have to re-post.

I've appreciated this discussion. The Spirit of Prophesy tells us this is a very important subject for us to understand, and it seems to me that it's gone quite well, without a lot of invective, which unfortunately often accompanies this subject. I know I've learned things during the discussion, and I hope it's been helpful to others as well.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14398
07/13/05 06:54 PM
07/13/05 06:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom: Adam had no self that had to be denied in order to do God's will, also Eve. They had to go against their biological make up in order to transgress.

Tom,

This does not make sense. Of course they had a self to be denied, and they fell exactly because they didn’t deny it.

To deny self is just to do something you wouldn’t like to do, or to abstain from doing something you would like to do, for the love of another.

Tom: But what is it that Adam would like to do rather than the will of God? There was no need for him to deny himself before sin came into the picture because his will *was* God's will; there was no conflict, hence no need for denial.

R: Christ denied self in heaven. God denied self.

"But in carrying out his enmity toward Christ till he crucified him,-- hung him on the cross of Calvary, with bruised body and broken heart,--Satan completely uprooted himself from the affections of the universe. Christ's death silenced forever the charge that with God self-denial was impossible. It was seen that God denied himself because of his love for mankind." {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 5}

"Christ denied himself. He did not count heaven a place to be desired while we were lost, and he left the heavenly courts to suffer a life of shame, reproach, insult, and mockery. For our sakes he became poor, that we through his poverty might become rich. He lived a life of self-sacrifice and self-denial, and passed over the ground that we must travel, in order to leave us an example that we might follow in his steps." {ST, June 1, 1891 par. 3}

"In carrying out his enmity to Christ until He hung upon the cross of Calvary, with wounded, bruised body and broken heart, Satan completely uprooted himself from the affections of the universe.It was then seen that God had in His Son denied Himself, giving Himself for the sins of the world, because He loved mankind. The Creator was revealed in the Son of the infinite God. Here the question, 'Can there be self-denial with God?' was forever answered. Christ was God, and condescending to be made flesh, He assumed humanity and became obedient unto death, that He might undergo infinite sacrifice." {1SM 342.1}

"Let us learn what it means to deny self as Christ denied self. He laid aside all that He had with the Father, and clothing His divinity with humanity came to earth that He might teach men and women how they might overcome. We are living in a time of test. Shall we not decide to stand on the side of Christ in this matter?" {2SAT 319.2}

Old Tom:I would agree that the nature of the temptations which Christ faced in the wilderness (and throughout His life) were the same as ours, but not the temptations of Adam and Eve.

I will quote it again:

"With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us." {DA 116.4}

Tom: I wish I hadn't lost the other post. I won't be able to go into as much detail as I did there, but briefly there is a point of agreement in that point of temptation, which is on the point of appetite. But the nature of the temptations was as different as night and day.

When Adam was tempted he had not "corrupted principles" or "tendencies to evil" where Christ "came in the likeness of sinful flesh." Christ had to deal with sin, both in its tendency and in its cultivation, in overcoming temptation. It's true, of course, that Christ never committed sin, so He never cultivated it Himself, but He bore our sin, and in bearing that He had both sin in its tendency (by heredity) and its cultivation (by imputation). The Spirit of Prophesy brings out in great detail how sin contributed to Christ's temptations, and often brings out how different Christ's temptations were to Adam's. One place that deals with these concepts in great detail is "2Red - Redemption; or the Temptation of Christ in The Wilderness (1877)"

Old Tom:I see their temptations as much different, because they had neither inherited or cultivated tendencies towards evil. That fundamentally changes the nature of temptation.

The nature of temptation is the same - to please self. The intensity of temptation can vary. Our temptations are much stronger than those of Adam and Eve, and Christ’s temptations were much stronger than ours.
The essence of temptaion is the same. In this sense, there is no difference between Adam and Eve’s temptations, Christ’s, and ours. Satan tempts all on the basis of "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life". The person yields to temptation “when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin” (James 1:14, AV). The word lust here is epithumea, which the dictionary defines as “desire, longing; lust, passion; covetousness”. It’s the same word used in Romans 7:7 and there translated as covetousness. Covetousness is the root of sin. In order to sin, you must first covet. Eve clearly coveted the fruit before eating it. Satan also coveted the position of God. So, although they were unfallen beings, they were able to covet (i.e., to desire something against the will of God). The desire to possess something is not evil in itself. It becomes evil if you seek to satisfy it independently of God. Thus, there is no difference between the temptation of fallen and unfallen beings. It is generally more automatic for us to yield to temptation mainly because of our cultivated tendencies to evil (as in the case of the illustration you gave); after you sin the first time, sin becomes a habit. Jesus had no cultivated tendencies to evil because He never sinned.

Tom: I agree with your ideas regarding James 1:14 insofar as the meaning of the word "lust" or "desire" is concerned. However, the nature, or essence, of our temptations and Adam's is very different. As Sister White puts it:

quote:
He was as faultless as the angels before the throne. There were in him no corrupt principles, no tendencies to evil. But when Christ came to meet the temptations of Satan, He bore "the likeness of sinful flesh." {BEcho, September 3, 1900 par. 10}
This spells out the difference, and this difference is very important.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14399
07/14/05 05:52 AM
07/14/05 05:52 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, you presented the view I favor correctly, as I understand it. Jesus chose to be born, as it were, born-again. He was different from John the baptist at birth in more ways than we can comprehend. John was not born born-again. True, we cannot explain why Jesus did not sin before He reached the age of accountability, but this lack of knowledge does not prevent us from believing that we begin at rebirth where He began at birth. That is, we begin with a clean slate. The mind of the new man, "which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness", is sinless and without fault or blame - just like Jesus.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14400
07/14/05 02:28 PM
07/14/05 02:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Tom: But what is it that Adam would like to do rather than the will of God? There was no need for him to deny himself before sin came into the picture because his will *was* God's will; there was no conflict, hence no need for denial.
No conflict? Both Adam and Eve faced a conflict before sinning. Eve desired to eat of the fruit, but she could have denied herself. Adam didn’t desire to be deprived of his companion, but he could have denied himself.
Christ wished to remain in heaven and in the companionship of His Father, and didn’t want to live in a world full of sin and misery, but He denied Himself.

quote:
But the nature of the temptations was as different as night and day. When Adam was tempted he had not "corrupted principles" or "tendencies to evil" where Christ "came in the likeness of sinful flesh."
No, the nature of the temptations was not different; the intensity was. Even if “corrupted principles” or “tendencies to evil” were imputed to Christ and He felt their power, this just means that temptation was stronger for Him than for Adam; however, the nature of the temptations was the same.

“Burdened with the sins of the world, he must go over the ground where Adam stumbled. He must take up the work just where Adam failed, and endure a test of the same character, but infinitely more severe than that which had vanquished him.” {GCB, February 25, 1895 par. 3}

Look at the phrase “a test of the same character”, but infinitely “more severe”. So the difference is not in the nature, in the essence, but in the intensity.

“Christ came to our world to stand where Adam stood, to endure the temptations which Adam failed to endure.” {ST, April 4, 1900 par. 4}

Look at the phrase “to endure the temptations that Adam failed to endure”. How could temptations of a different nature fit this description?

The nature of temptation is always the same:

“The temptations which Christ overcame cover all the temptations that come to man.” {ST, April 4, 1900 par. 8}

The great leading temptations that would assail man, Christ met in the wilderness of temptation. ...The first great temptation was the indulgence of appetite; the second, presumption; the third, love of the world. {RH, November 28, 1882 par. 2}

"With the terrible weight of the sins of the world upon Him, Christ withstood the test upon appetite, upon the love of the world, and upon that love of display which leads to presumption. These were the temptations that overcame Adam and Eve, and that so readily overcome us." {DA 116.4}

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14401
07/14/05 04:06 PM
07/14/05 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, good point. The dynamics of temptation are the same whether the person being tempted is sinless or sinful. However, would you agree that possessing sinful nature changes how the temptation impacts us systemically? Adam and Eve's nature was sinless, therefore, they did not have to wrestle against compounded odds, against combined forces, that is, against the temptation itself plus the sinful urge to embrace it. Adam and Eve, in their innocence, did not possess this sinful urge, the sinful clamoring of fallen flesh, like Jesus did, and like we do.

Don't misunderstand me, please. I'm not saying Jesus Himself craved sinning, but rather His sinful flesh nature craved to meet its legitimate needs (i.e., appetites and passions) in a sinful way. However, from the cradle to the cross, Jesus successfully resisted these unholy urges and clamorings. And so may we, if we choose to be reborn, and if we remain connected to Christ in the same way He was connected to the Father. But Adam and Eve did not have to resist the sinful mind and voice of a fallen nature in addition to the temptation itself.

Whether or not having a sinless nature gave them an advantage over us in resisting temptation is a good question and concept to explore. My initial reaction is to say, No. Whether a temptation originates from within or from without shouldn't change the basic dynamics of being tempted. The dynamics of resisting temptation are the same, therefore, I'm not sure how having a sinless nature or a sinful one would make any difference, so far as resisting the temptation. As born again believers it is our privilege to partake of the divine nature, which, it would seem, should make the playing field equal.

In other words, so long as we are partaking of the divine nature we should be just as capable as Adam and Eve were in resisting temptation, and whether those temptations originate within or without shouldn't matter, so far as resisting them is concerned. The fact we must resist temptation on two fronts, and Adam and Eve didn't, shouldn't change the dynamics of resisting temptation. However, it does complicate things.

OHC 298
When the human will cooperates with the will of God, it becomes omnipotent, and the worker can make opportunities. {OHC 298.4}

FW 26, 27
The law of the human and the divine action makes the receiver a laborer together with God. It brings man where he can, united with divinity, work the works of God. {FW 26.3}

HP 279
You can go to God in prayer; you can ask, and receive; you can believe, hanging your helpless soul on Christ. It means that humanity can work the will and ways of God. Humanity and divinity are combined for this very purpose. {HP 279.2}

TE 107
The Saviour took upon Himself the infirmities of humanity, and lived a sinless life, that men might have no fear that because of the weakness of human nature they could not overcome. Christ came to make us "partakers of the divine nature," and His life declares that humanity, combined with divinity, does not commit sin. {Te 107.1}

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14402
07/14/05 07:51 PM
07/14/05 07:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
The dynamics of temptation are the same whether the person being tempted is sinless or sinful.
Mike,

One more interesting text about the nature of temptation:

"Fallen men had not the advantages of Adam in Eden. They had been separating from God for four thousand years. The wisdom to understand, and power to resist, the temptations of Satan had become less and less, until Satan seemed to reign triumphant in the earth. Appetite and passion, the love of the world and presumptuous sins, were the great branches of evil out of which every species of crime, violence, and corruption grew." {RH, August 18, 1874 par. 15}

quote:
However, would you agree that possessing sinful nature changes how the temptation impacts us systemically?
It seems that Adam could resist Satan in his human nature, while we need the human nature and the divine nature combined in order to resist him, because Adam’s power of resistance (physical, mental and moral) was much stronger than ours.

"Christ knew that Adam in Eden, with his superior advantages, might have withstood the temptations of Satan, and conquered him. He also knew that it was not possible for man, out of Eden, separated from the light and love of God since the fall, to resist the temptations of Satan in his own strength." {RH, August 18, 1874 par. 11}

"Fallen men had not the advantages of Adam in Eden. They had been separating from God for four thousand years. The wisdom to understand, and power to resist, the temptations of Satan had become less and less, until Satan seemed to reign triumphant in the earth." {RH, August 18, 1874 par. 15}

"The very fact that Adam's trial was small, made his sin exceeding great. God tested him in that which was least, to prove him; and with the prohibition he stated that the punishment consequent upon his disobedience would be death. If Adam could not bear this smallest of tests to prove his loyalty, he surely could not have endured a stronger trial had he been taken into closer relationship with God, to bear higher responsibilities. He evidenced that God could not trust him; should he be exposed to Satan's more determined attacks, he would signally fail." {ST, January 23, 1879 par. 14}

"The plan of salvation was so arranged that when Adam was tested, temptation was removed from him as far as possible. When Adam was tempted, he was not hungry. He had the opportunity of satisfying every need. But when Christ was tempted, He was faint from want of food. He was to qualify Himself for the office of Redeemer by successfully resisting every assault of the enemy. His power of resistance was to be an example for all who would hereafter be placed in trying positions." {ST, April 4, 1900 par. 4}

Christ’s power of resistance came from His divine nature combined with humanity:

"If Christ was a victor on the point of appetite, then there was a chance for man to overcome. If Satan gained the victory through his subtlety, man was bound by the power of appetite in chains of indulgence which he could not have moral power to break. Christ's humanity alone could never have endured this test, but his divine power combined with humanity gained in behalf of man an infinite victory. Our Representative in this victory, raised humanity in the scale of moral value with God." {RH, October 13, 1874 par. 5}

One more thing. You said,
quote:
we cannot explain why Jesus did not sin before He reached the age of accountability
This text of Ellen White, which I have quoted some days ago, but seems to have passed unnoticed, may throw some light on this:

"No one, looking upon the childlike countenance, shining with animation, could say that Christ was just like other children. He was God in human flesh. When urged by his companions to do wrong, divinity flashed through humanity, and he refused decidedly. In a moment he distinguished between right and wrong, and placed sin in the light of God's commands, holding up the law as a mirror which reflected light upon wrong. It was this keen discrimination between right and wrong that often provoked Christ's brothers to anger. Yet his appeals and entreaties, and the sorrow expressed in his countenance, revealed such a tender, earnest love for them that they were ashamed of having tempted him to deviate from his strict sense of justice and loyalty." {YI, September 8, 1898 par. 10}

Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!