HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Green Cochoa] #145177
09/11/12 02:43 PM
09/11/12 02:43 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
It is the Majority Texts that have undergone the greatest amounts of alteration (often in the form of conflation) that has been demonstrated to start sometime around the 9th century. They were essentially non-existent before that time. Also, any alterations to the Alexandrian line can be seen quite clearly because the format of the codices makes it nearly impossible to alter them within the text body themselves. One very notable example of textual corruption in the TR is the 1 John 5:7, which never would have made it into the text had it not been for Catholic meddling and the production of a last minute manuscript with the reading in it. The last six verses of Revelation were translated from the Latin of the Catholic Vulgate into Greek, hence peculiar TR readings that are not found in a single Greek manuscript.

Compare Luke 2:33. The TR is a clear example of Catholic meddling of the text. If the Critical Text was part of some Catholic conspiracy, is certainly would not leave unchanged the reference to Joseph as Jesus' father. Rather, it is the TR that alters the text so as to uphold the Catholic doctrine of Mariolotry.

The KJV-onlyists want to have their cake and eat it to. They accuse Westcott and Hort as being part of some pro-Catholic Jesuit conspiracy, while at the same time accusing them of being secularists because of textual renderings that are perceived to jeopardize doctrines such as the Trinity (1 John 5:7).

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #145178
09/11/12 05:00 PM
09/11/12 05:00 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dave,

I won't object regarding the Johannine Comma. That may well have been added. I don't believe there is any "proof" one way or the other, but the text is certainly not required to support the belief in a triunal Godhead. There are plenty of other texts that do this. No doctrine would be destroyed by its removal. This, of course, undermines the necessity for it to have been "added." If it is not needed to support the Catholic doctrine, why would they have added it? Regardless, Ellen White never used the text, and it is not necessary.

As for the TR having been meddled with regarding the Luke 2:33 & 2:43 texts, I disagree. It is the Alexandrian Text that was changed there. You see, Luke, the scholar, was careful to set Joseph in his proper place, recognizing that Jesus' true Father was not human. By saying "Jesus' father and mother" in place of "Joseph and his mother" one undermines the divine origin of the Son of God. It has nothing to do with "mariolotry." It has everything to do with Jesus' divine identity. Naturally, those who adjusted the texts to undermine Jesus' divinity will come up with plausible-sounding arguments to support their changes, and this may be their argument here--that the KJV supported "mariolotry." It doesn't, though.

There really is very little else you might find to claim changes in the Majority Text. Mrs. White underscores the fact that the Majority Text was "unadulterated" in speaking of the Waldensian Bibles which are of that line.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The Waldenses were the first of all the peoples of Europe to obtain a translation of the Holy Scriptures. Hundreds of years before the Reformation, they possessed the Bible in manuscript in their native tongue. They had the truth unadulterated, and this rendered them the special objects of hatred and persecution. They declared the Church of Rome to be the apostate Babylon of the Apocalypse, and at the peril of their lives they stood up to resist her corruptions.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Green Cochoa] #145179
09/11/12 05:34 PM
09/11/12 05:34 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
The Truth About the Waldensian Bible

Wilkinson has done our church a disservice by some of the claims he has made regarding the Waldensian Bible. Also, you are misquoting Ellen White regarding their Bible. Just because they had the "truth unadulterated" does not mean that the Bible they possessed was free of scribal error. Even in our modern translations, the 3 Angels Message can be taught. It was what was gleaned from their Bibles that was unadulterated.

If the Critical Texts were from adulterated manuscripts as KJV-onliers assert, Sister White never would have used the Revised Version as freely as she did. It is notable that Westcott and Hort's Greek was inferior to the far more eclectically derived Nestle-Alland/United Bible society text that the vast majority of Modern Translations are based on today. Why did she use them? Because they still contained the "truth unadulterated."

Regarding Luke 2:33, my point was that the modern rendering debunks the absurd notion that the Greek behind it is the result of Catholic tampering. The modern text rendering does not refer to Jesus' biological origin, but the custodial responsibility conferred upon Joseph by God.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #145180
09/11/12 06:22 PM
09/11/12 06:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Dave Mullbock
Interesting article on the Majority Text vs. the Critical Texts: Majority Text vs. Critical Text .
Thanks. That pretty much pegs Green to a T. And I thought it was something unusual just for him. Who knew. But it does make sense with the invalid arguments used.
Here's something I thought was particularly appropriate:
Quote:
it must be stressed that as long as majority text advocates hold this view of preservation, no amount of evidence will convince them that reasoned eclecticism is right, because the majority text view is "a statement of faith." And as Pickering has so clearly articulated, this is not just a presupposition--it is a doctrine.

That's something which cannot be argued with nor reasoned with. But I say, if that's what they want to believe, that's their choice. As long as they don't try to force something on me or otherwise cause harm to me. Any more, when someone is promoting one version only, I tend to mark them as either ignorant or intentionally deceptive such as those who wanted to keep the Bible out of the language of the people. I guess believing something without valid justification, could be another option.

I also found it interesting that from what I understand from it, the TR is the New Testament only. To me, that kind of diminishes some arguments for KJV as a whole.

Quote:
If the Critical Texts were from adulterated manuscripts as KJV-onliers assert,
I think you fell for Green's suggestion. As I had pointed out to him before, Ellen White's quote had nothing to do with versions. "They had the truth unadulterated." Not versions unadulterated. But the truth from the Bible. That's why she said they were the first of all the peoples of Europe to obtain a translation of the Holy Scriptures. Not the first to have a KJV. It had nothing to do with versions, but had to do with any Bible in a language they could understand.

And regarding Catholic manipulations, I showed another how the Catholic Bible had the same as KJV. When pointing out why wouldn't they want to manipulate their own version, he skipped over it and still insisted they manipulated other versions.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: kland] #145185
09/11/12 07:05 PM
09/11/12 07:05 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Thanks kland. I was making the same point you were about the "truth unadulterated". Since switching to the NASB, I've had a growing appreciation for our church's doctrines. The NASB's rendering of Hebrews 4:9 has a much more Adventist flavor than the KJV. Perhaps the KJV translators were part of a conspiracy to downgrade the Sabbath wink

Last edited by Dave Mullbock; 09/11/12 07:06 PM.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #145196
09/12/12 07:34 PM
09/12/12 07:34 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Thanks kland. I was making the same point you were about the "truth unadulterated". Since switching to the NASB, I've had a growing appreciation for our church's doctrines. The NASB's rendering of Hebrews 4:9 has a much more Adventist flavor than the KJV. Perhaps the KJV translators were part of a conspiracy to downgrade the Sabbath wink

It wasn't so much a conspiracy as it was an attempt by act of parliament to make the word conform to the Episcopal ecclesiology of the church of England, which is where the 47 scholars who translated the KJV came from.

If Martin Luther, the father of the protestant movement could be wrong on so many issues, how could the translators who also came from that spiritual darkness be held to a higher accountability? I think they did a great job considering the time they lived in.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145203
09/13/12 07:53 PM
09/13/12 07:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I think my idea that their "more is better" was pretty on target even if I didn't realize it. I had meant they were saying more text, even if inserted incorrectly, was better. But further reading of the link shows that they are meaning more texts (Majority texts) is better. Even if those texts didn't even exist until 800 years after Paul!

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: kland] #145220
09/14/12 04:31 PM
09/14/12 04:31 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
And if the majority text is more accurate for the reason of being the majority text, at what point should we determine that majority?

Is it today? Tomorrow? Yesterday or the day before?

Or should we do like the global warmists do and arbitrarily pick a date which fits our already presumed beliefs and make comparisons from that point?

Majority opinion seems rather fleeting.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: jamesonofthunder] #145221
09/14/12 04:59 PM
09/14/12 04:59 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder

It wasn't so much a conspiracy as it was an attempt by act of parliament to make the word conform to the Episcopal ecclesiology of the church of England, which is where the 47 scholars who translated the KJV came from.

If Martin Luther, the father of the protestant movement could be wrong on so many issues, how could the translators who also came from that spiritual darkness be held to a higher accountability? I think they did a great job considering the time they lived in.

The KJV translator conspiracy thing was in jest. I said it because lots of people (like Veith) suggest that the modern versions are part of the vast Jesuit conspiracy. The KJV is worthy of veneration in view of its place in the reformation. However, it is a disservice to the KJV and its translators, as well as to the TR, to bring the work of textual criticism to an arbitrary end.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #145223
09/14/12 11:11 PM
09/14/12 11:11 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Agreed Brother Dave.
This may be a simplified response for a purpose, but I believe that those who search the scriptural discrepancies between versions, as you do, will be more prepared to receive the later rain.

If they speak not according to this word...

While the Spirit of Truth is breathed over the disciples to prepare them for the later rain, all of the errors will be swept away just as the disciples had their errors swept away in preparation of the early rain.

Our efforts will be rewarded by God's stamp of approval in our hearts and minds. He will give us the perfect interpretation on every subject, tying the points we have been already enlightened with together, making a more perfect reflection of Christ in our hearts.

The mystery of Godliness fulfilled in us leads us to deeper repentance which purges us from sin. We truly become broken on the rock.

This is what happened to our prophet Mrs. White and her fellow believers. When the Spirit of truth comes, it overpowers any other belief unless you have not received the truth to get you where you are. There is a division that occurs among the people, a polarization. The remnant are the true children. Those who stay with the truth and allow it to work in them, seeking after it as purest gold, are those who will stand in the dreadful day of our Lord.

So it is our duty to continue to search all of the versions of the scriptures for every ounce of golden truth that we can find. Then God will bring us together, because it was not until the disciples came to the upper room and worked out their scriptural differences and made up the number, that the early rain was poured out at the exact moment Jesus was anointed as High Priest in heaven. Then Wham the Spirit came in force and they spoke with the voice of God, just as the 144,000 will in the last days.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!