HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #146112
10/21/12 12:39 PM
10/21/12 12:39 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
[quote= Yet Jesus declaration that all foods are clean takes place before the cross. [/quote]

Where did He say that? Which 'version'? Show me that in the KJV.

Harold T.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Harold Fair] #146115
10/21/12 02:13 PM
10/21/12 02:13 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
[quote= Yet Jesus declaration that all foods are clean takes place before the cross.

Where did He say that? Which 'version'? Show me that in the KJV. [/quote]

OK, so actually, in the modern versions, this is a parenthetical statement where Mark applies an interpretation to Jesus previous statement. It is silly to cavil over what I said when it doesn't change the overall (and obvious) point I was making. What I wrote makes it plain enough that even in the modern versions, it is an unreasonable stretch to interpret the passage as abrogating the divinely instituted dietary laws.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #146126
10/21/12 07:18 PM
10/21/12 07:18 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Dave Mullbock
Quote:
Yet Jesus declaration that all foods are clean takes place before the cross.

Where did He say that? Which 'version'? Show me that in the KJV.

OK, so actually, in the modern versions, this is a parenthetical statement where Mark applies an interpretation to Jesus previous statement. It is silly to cavil over what I said when it doesn't change the overall (and obvious) point I was making. What I wrote makes it plain enough that even in the modern versions, it is an unreasonable stretch to interpret the passage as abrogating the divinely instituted dietary laws.

Ok, so you admit your mistake and then downplay it by calling the whole argument "silly." I don't think it is "silly." It is certainly not trivial to mess with the Word of God by adding to it.

Here's what's silly: to say that Mark would write that Jesus declared all clean foods clean. What would be the point of that?

Face it: the modern versions have adjusted the text per their own agenda.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Green Cochoa] #146131
10/21/12 09:09 PM
10/21/12 09:09 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
[quote=Green Face it: the modern versions have adjusted the text per their own agenda.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa. [/quote]

Thank you. Hasn't anyone else looked at the context of tha passage? WASH your hands before you eat.

Harold T.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Green Cochoa] #146136
10/21/12 11:02 PM
10/21/12 11:02 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Ok, so you admit your mistake and then downplay it by calling the whole argument "silly." I don't think it is "silly." It is certainly not trivial to mess with the Word of God by adding to it.

Here's what's silly: to say that Mark would write that Jesus declared all clean foods clean. What would be the point of that?

Face it: the modern versions have adjusted the text per their own agenda.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Not downplaying anything. My point that the modern versions, when read in context, do not abrogate the dietary laws still stands. I was aware of the fact that Jesus did not say in as many words that all foods are clean, but by explaining the contextual meaning of the entire passage, my point could easily be seen. One could find a number of text in the KJV New Testament that say in as many words that the law no longer applies. Adventists have long recognized such statements can not be taken standing alone from their immediate context or that of the entire scriptures for that matter. The modern rendering of Mark 7:19, when taking the context into consideration, obviously refers to foods being clean in regard to human tradition and not divinely prescribed law -- especially in light of Jesus upholding the law in verse 8.

Here is the problem. I have shown that the modern versions, in the passage under consideration, do not teach that pork is on par with chicken when it comes to nutritional value. That is a good thing and should be celebrated. By bringing up the passage in the first place, it at first appeared that your concern was to safeguard our doctrinal positions. After showing that that particular position is not jeopardized by the modern translations (such as the NASB/NIV/ESV), you continue to insist that they teach otherwise -- not because they do, but because it is crucial to your argument that they are corrupt. Ironically, you say that it is the modern versions that have an agenda.

Regarding your second point, it is a big deal in light of the reverence the people had for rabbinic tradition, however uninspired. The Pharisees did not believe food to be clean if it was consumed without following their tradition of washing hands. On the flip side, the KJV "purging all meats" that precludes defilement by ingestion would also apply to clam chowder. Whether in the KJV or NASB, that is not the point. It is about the fact that neglecting the traditions of men can never cause defilement. In both the KJV and NASB, Jesus stresses that the law of God must never be broken for the sake of tradition.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #146159
10/22/12 12:32 PM
10/22/12 12:32 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
[quote=Dave One could find a number of text in the KJV New Testament that say in as many words that the law no longer applies. [/quote]

Perhaps you would be so kind as to show me a few of those texts. I can't find them.

Harold T.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Harold Fair] #146162
10/22/12 01:31 PM
10/22/12 01:31 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
[quote=Dave One could find a number of text in the KJV New Testament that say in as many words that the law no longer applies.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to show me a few of those texts. I can't find them.

Either you are being purposefully obtuse, or you have never once discussed the applicability of the law to the NT gentile Christian with an evangelical in your whole life. The same proof texts that they always point out and misconstrue in defense of their antinomian arguments are the ones I'm referring to. You know that is what I was referring to and I'm not going to humor you by listing them -- you know exactly which Pauline texts I am referring to. I remember them from when my First Sergeant (in the army) pulled out his KJV and tried to overwhelm me with a number of quotes about how the Law has been done away with. Out of context, those quotes agreed with what he was saying. Reading them in their context, they didn't support antinomianism at all. SDA's have long endeavored to get people to read such passages in their context in their efforts to refute antinomian fallacies.

Last edited by Dave Mullbock; 10/22/12 01:52 PM.
Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #146163
10/22/12 01:59 PM
10/22/12 01:59 PM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Harold,

If you honestly did not see my earlier post as referring to the misuse of the same old Pauline texts that evangelicals always refer to when trying to argue that the law no longer applies to Christians in the NT, I apologize for suggesting obtuse behavior on your part. You may not have realized that is what I meant.

In no way do I believe that the Bible (KJV or good modern versions -- I need to make clear that some are in fact bad) supports the idea that the 10 commandments are no longer binding. In all versions there are texts that SEEM to be in agreement with antinomian teachings, but ALWAYS turn out to uphold and uplift the Law when read in their context.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #146169
10/22/12 03:46 PM
10/22/12 03:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Green and Harold, you are not understanding what Dave said in that post any more than you are trying to understand what Jesus was trying to say. Even though Green indicated he knew what Jesus was saying, you both seem to take His and Dave's statements out of context and construe them to say what they are not in the same fashion as the pork eaters do.

Re: The truth about the KJV only argument [Re: Alpendave] #146199
10/22/12 10:34 PM
10/22/12 10:34 PM
H
Harold Fair  Offline
Active Member 2013
Florida, USA
[quote=Dave You know that is what I was referring to and I'm not going to humor you by listing them --[/quote]

I didn't think you would. When you DO find some, let me and the rest of know where they are.

Harold T.
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!