HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,986
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 32
Rick H 18
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Did God kill Christ? #14626
06/20/05 05:01 PM
06/20/05 05:01 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Rosangela: But God cannot save us contradicting Himself and denying Himself. The law which He must satisfy is that of His own being. Therefore, in Christ God directed towards Himself, and absorbed in Himself, His own wrath against sin, so that we might live. In fact, thinking better, you are correct in saying that God did not kill Christ - a better form of expressing what happened is that God killed Himself in the person of His Son, so that He could manifest at the same time both His wrath against evil and His love for us.
So there had to be a change in God? The cross had to do with sorting out God’s own problems? Now that he is so amended he can forgive, after a fashion of?

What else will we come up with to blame shift the murder we committed from us to him? It was not our problem; God has the problem; He is not dealing with our problem; he is dealing with his own problem? He is just using us to effect his own need for kill?

God gave himself to us in Christ, means the exact opposite of what you are saying Rosangela. It means he is giving us love for our hatred; he is giving us light of life for our murderous heart; he is giving us grace for our vengeance driven heart; he is giving us his spirit for the spirit of the enemy.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14627
06/20/05 08:51 PM
06/20/05 08:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
A change in God, John? No, of course not. But God must forgive in a way coherent with Himself.
As to sin, it obviously is not merely our problem. Sin is God's problem, for He is the Sovereign of the universe and sin transcends earth.
God obviously does not have a need to kill, but He does have a need to demonstrate that He does not excuse sin.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14628
06/20/05 08:54 PM
06/20/05 08:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Ikan,

Sin is the reason why the sinner is destroyed, not the means by which he is destroyed.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14629
06/20/05 11:07 PM
06/20/05 11:07 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
His point was that sin is lethal:

quote:
Thus it is that sin, if not destroyed, will destroy the sinner, just as Satan designed it should."
I think you agree with this, Rosangela, as you have stated as much. Something along the lines that if God did not intervene, then eventually sin would wind up in destruction.

As I see it, the big difference in how things are being viewed here is whether God actively works to prevent sin from resulting in destruction. If He does, then destruction takes place when He ceases this activity. If, OTOH, sin is not utterly destructive in its essense, then God must do something to cause those who sin to be destroyed.

How we view this impacts our view of God. Or so it seems to me. The one view seems to me to be legalistic and arbitrary. I suppose you see some flaw in the other view; perhaps it would make God unjust or weak in your view, I'm not sure.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14630
06/20/05 11:22 PM
06/20/05 11:22 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Rosangela, when you forgive others who sin against you; is your forgiveness just or unjust? Do you have to go through killing yourself in order to be able to forgive? Remember you have to do that no matter how small the offence is; it is all sin.

God asks us to forgive as he forgives. So whatever he had to do to forgive, so must you; or you will never see heaven.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14631
06/21/05 05:30 AM
06/21/05 05:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Who can forgive sins but God?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14632
06/21/05 05:53 AM
06/21/05 05:53 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"Forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who tresspass against us." This, and other places in Scripture, make it clear that as we forgive, we are forgiven (early posts make it clear that this is not cause and effect).

No one but God can forgive sins against God, but we can, and must, if we would be citizens of heaven, forgive those who sin against us.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14633
06/21/05 11:52 AM
06/21/05 11:52 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

I think my reply to John explains my view in more detail.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14634
06/21/05 11:53 AM
06/21/05 11:53 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
John,

I'm not the Ruler of the universe, therefore when I forgive others, my forgiveness is of a personal nature; besides, I am as much a transgressor of the law as the person whom I'm forgiving. But when God forgives, He is an authority granting forgiveness for a crime, which is something completely different. God must forgive the transgression of His law without diminishing the authority of His law. How could He forgive sin but at the same time vindicate His law, showing that its transgression is something utterly grave?

"Christ has made a sacrifice to satisfy the demands of Justice. What a price for heaven to pay to ransom the transgressor of the law of Jehovah. Yet that holy law could not be maintained with any smaller price. ...
"Sin is disloyalty to God, and deserving of punishment. ... Sin is the transgression of the law. ... The law of God stands vindicated by the suffering and death of the only begotten Son of the infinite God.
"The transgression of God's law in a single instance, in the smallest particular, is sin. And the non-execution of the penalty of that sin would be a crime in the divine administration. God is a judge, the avenger of justice, which is the habitation and foundation of His throne. He cannot dispense with His law, He cannot do away with its smallest item in order to meet and pardon sin. The rectitude and justice and moral excellence of the law must be maintained and vindicated before the heavenly universe and the worlds unfallen.
"What is the justice of God? It is the holiness of God in relation to sin. Christ bore the sins of the world in man's behalf that the sinner might have another trial, with all the divine opportunities and advantages which God has provided in man's behalf. ...
"There are no saving properties in the law. It cannot pardon the transgressor. The penalty must be exacted. The Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law, the foundation of His government in heaven and in earth. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute.
"Not that God is cruel and merciless, and Christ so merciful that He died on Calvary's cross to abolish a law so arbitrary that it needed to be extinguished, crucified between two thieves. The throne of God must not bear one stain of crime, one taint of sin. In the councils of heaven, before the world was created, the Father and the Son covenanted together that if man proved disloyal to God, Christ, one with the Father, would take the place of the transgressor, and suffer the penalty of justice that must fall upon him." {21MR 194, 195}

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14635
06/21/05 12:28 PM
06/21/05 12:28 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
R: I'm not the Ruler of the universe, therefore when I forgive others, my forgiveness is of a personal nature; besides, I am as much a transgressor of the law as the person whom I'm forgiving. But when God forgives, He is an authority granting forgiveness for a crime, which is something completely different. God must forgive the transgression of His law without diminishing the authority of His law. How could He forgive sin but at the same time vindicate His law, showing that its transgression is something utterly grave?
Rosangela; When you forgive, you forgive based upon your authority, for offenses, sins, or crimes against you and those under your authority. There is a law in your being, which establishes these offenses, or else there could be no offense. How then can you forgive someone and at the same time vindicate the law of your being, showing that its transgression is something utterly grave?

What happens in forgiveness?
Why would you want to forgive?

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:44 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/24/24 03:24 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!