HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,986
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 32
Rick H 18
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Did God kill Christ? #14646
06/23/05 03:42 AM
06/23/05 03:42 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Roseangela declared:

"we aren't either sovereigns or judges or lawgivers, no matter how much you try to persuade me that we are"

Yet we will be, if we learn true forgiveness now:

"Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. 1 Cor. 4:5.

During the thousand years between the first and the second resurrection, the judgment of the wicked takes place. ...
At this time the righteous reign as kings and priests unto God. John in the Revelation says: "I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them." Rev. 20:4. . . . It is at this time that, as foretold by Paul, "the saints shall judge the world." 1 Cor. 6:2, 3. In union with Christ they judge the wicked, comparing their acts with the statute book, the Bible, and deciding every case according to the deeds done in the body. Then the portion which the wicked must suffer is meted out, according to their works; and it is recorded against their names in the book of death.
We shall not hear a charge against us on the ground of the outbreaking sins we have committed, but the charge will be made against us for the neglect of good and noble duties enjoined upon us by the God of love. The deficiencies of our characters will be held up to view. It will then be known that all who are so condemned had light and knowledge, were entrusted with their Lord's goods, and were found unfaithful to their trust.
Satan also and evil angels are judged by Christ and His people. Says Paul, "Know ye not that we shall judge angels?" 1 Cor. 6:3."
{FLB 216.5}

If we don't let the Spirit teach us here now His ways, we will never get to this stage in judging.

By the way: my daughter was raped and murdered weeks before we came on this mission: God taught me about forgiveness very quickly, otherwise I would not have been commissioned by Him to be here.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14647
06/22/05 07:19 PM
06/22/05 07:19 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
God obviously does not have a need to kill, but He does have a need to demonstrate that He does not excuse sin.
Why is it obvious that God does not have a need to kill? If He killed Christ, He must have had a need to do so.

Everyone agrees that God needed to show that sin would not be excused. The cross of Christ certainly demonstrates what the results of sin are, and that it will not be excused. But this has nothing to do with God killing Christ, does it?

If we agree that God must demonstrate that sin will not be excused, and we agree that God did not kill Christ, then how how do we differ?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14648
06/22/05 07:32 PM
06/22/05 07:32 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Third, our forgiveness does not require that the person repents, while this is fundamental for God to forgive.
There are two aspects to forgiveness. One is unilateral, and one is not. Unilaterally we are to forgive others as God has unilaterally forgiven us. If God had not forgiven us, from His perspective (regardless of our response), He would not have sent His Son to save us. He didn't send His Son so that He could forgive us. That's an absurd idea. He sent His Son so that we can be forgiven.

The second aspect of forgiveness is bilateral. There must be repentance on the part of the offending party, or a reconcilation is impossible. There's no difference here between God and us and we and somebody else. At least I can't see a difference (Well there's the difference that God is perfect, while we aren't, so we may be involved in the offence of another against us, whereas God is never at fault).

If we do not unilaterally forgive others, then we demonstrate that we have not received God's unilateral forgiveness for us and been bilaterally forgiven. God's unilateral forgivenss remains, but cannot heal us; only His bilateral forgiveness can do that.

I kind of like this unilateral and bilateral language. Never tried it before. I'll have to see how it works. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14649
06/22/05 10:17 PM
06/22/05 10:17 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Rosangela said:
John,It's useless for you to try to make God's forgiveness and our forgiveness similar, because they aren't. First of all, we don't need to (nor can we) impute our righteousness to the person forgiven, as God does.
Second, we aren't either sovereigns or judges or lawgivers, no matter how much you try to persuade me that we are.
Third, our forgiveness does not require that the person repents, while this is fundamental for God to forgive. If you must forgive the raper of your daughter (and you must, whether he repents or not), does this mean that God must forgive and save him, even if he does not repent?

Rosangela, who are you kidding? You judge all the time; if you did not you would not be human. You condemn or justify continually. You are equipped with the ability to forgive. Are you able to love; is that not sovereign?

You have taken theological jargon (imputing) to do away with forgiveness. God does not know such forgiveness. His forgiveness has nothing to do with imputing his righteousness in that sense. You want to make God believe that the transgressor has received his forgiveness even though he has not. For if the transgressor had received it, then it would be imparted, no?

God does not require anyone to repent in order for him to forgive either; he forgives freely. You do not “have to” forgive anyone, if you think you do, you are not forgiving. You do not “have to” be saved, do you? Nobody “has” to be saved. Do you think God will have regard to your "forced" forgiveness? Do you think that God is holding the gun to your head, saying "forgive or else"? So it is your privilege to be saved, and it is your privilege to forgive.

Forgiveness and salvation are two different things. God forgives, whether we receive it or not is another thing. Whether we let God save us from our wrath has to do with our salvation.
However in your mind salvation is entirely different; it is you thinking that we have to placate / propitiate God’s wrath, in order that he would forgive us, and let us off the hook.

If you think that God does not forgive without repentance, but he expects you to forgive without repentance; I have no idea where and what kind of forgiveness that would be, since God can’t do it. You are denying the possibility of similarity in your forgiveness with God’s, due to your ‘littleness’; while at the same time you profess to be required to do more than him?

BTW your forgiveness has to do with you and your heart and mind and not with “the transgressor”. You are the one forgiving and it is not dependent on anybody else (except the grace of God in you). So if by the grace of God you forgive an unrepentant transgressor; do you propose that God himself cannot do what he gives you the grace to do?

Are you able to love your enemies?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14650
06/22/05 10:29 PM
06/22/05 10:29 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
By the way: my daughter was raped and murdered weeks before we came on this mission: God taught me about forgiveness very quickly, otherwise I would not have been commissioned by Him to be here.
My heart goes out to you Phil; may God richly bless you with all heavenly blessings.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14651
06/22/05 11:28 PM
06/22/05 11:28 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
My heart goes out to you Phil; may God richly bless you with all heavenly blessings.
Mine too. What you wrote was so horrible, I couldn't think of what to say.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14652
06/23/05 04:24 AM
06/23/05 04:24 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Thank you for your love, Gents. They means more to me than all the pragmatics we can muster!

The horrors of sin are what killed Him.
I know that Christ, while taking the Victim's role experienced the sin of my daughter's murderer. The Fact that the Father would not intervene (as per Their agreement) by defending Christ from taking on His spirit these "wages of sin" IS "His strange act."

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14653
06/23/05 04:46 AM
06/23/05 04:46 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Phil, have you seen this? http://sharktacos.com/God/cross_intro.shtml

This site shares some thoughts similar to what you just mentioned.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14654
06/23/05 05:03 AM
06/23/05 05:03 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Thanks I'll check it out.

Any leads on Fifield's book? I'm getting no where online.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14655
06/24/05 03:35 AM
06/24/05 03:35 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
John,

It is your view which does away with justification and Christ’s imputed righteousness, clearly against what the Bible and Ellen White say. We are only forgiven because Christ’s righteousness is imputed to us. Imputed righteousness is our title to heaven - nobody will enter heaven without it.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

“Sinners can be justified by God only when He pardons their sins, remits the punishment they deserve, and treats them as though they were really just and had not sinned, receiving them into divine favor and treating them as if they were righteous. They are justified alone through the imputed righteousness of Christ. The Father accepts the Son, and through the atoning sacrifice of His Son accepts the sinner.” {OHC 52.3}

About repentance and forgiveness:

But while it is true that repentance must precede forgiveness, for it is only the broken and contrite heart that is acceptable to God, yet the sinner cannot bring himself to repentance, or prepare himself to come to Christ. Except the sinner repent, he cannot be forgiven; but the question to be decided is as to whether repentance is the work of the sinner or the gift of Christ. Must the sinner wait until he is filled with remorse for his sin before he can come to Christ? The very first step to Christ is taken through the drawing of the Spirit of God; as man responds to this drawing, he advances toward Christ in order that he may repent. {NL 20.3}

Ikan,

May God’s grace be with you each day, for I don’t think forgiveness is a once-for-all experience in such cases, for every time the pain returns you must forgive again. Some monstrosities committed by human beings provoke in us an utter revulsion. But if this is true of us, who are evil, how much more is it true of God? Could God let acts such as these go unpunished? Letting these acts without a punishment is something that goes against any sense of justice any person may have. Although the person may be forgiven, the act is unforgivable. Therefore, how could God forgive the perpetrator of such a monstrosity without at the same time demonstrating how much He hates the monstrous act that was perpetrated? This is what the cross is all about. God does not excuse sin. God punishes sin because it is sin, because it is monstrous, because it is heinous, because it is deserving of punishment. So, to be coherent with Himself, God couldn’t forgive the sinner without punishing sin. But, so that the sinner wouldn’t die, He punished sin in Himself.
In the same way we, in order to forgive, must separate the act committed from the person who committed it, otherwise we won’t be able to forgive.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:44 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/24/24 03:24 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!