HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,986
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 32
Rick H 18
Daryl 4
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Did God kill Christ? #14656
06/23/05 04:05 PM
06/23/05 04:05 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Try this site: http://www.lnfbooks.com/

I tried Leaves of Autumn, and they don't have anything by Fifield at the moment, nor do they have the 1897 GCB (or any other, except for 1901).

The above listed site had God is Love listed, but no current copies, but you can request to be put on a waiting list. It had a pamphlet type thing called "the law of love" for $10.00.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14657
06/23/05 04:17 PM
06/23/05 04:17 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't see any difference between the quotes you presented regarding imputed righteousness and John B.'s view. Do you John B.?

quote:
Therefore, how could God forgive the perpetrator of such a monstrosity without at the same time demonstrating how much He hates the monstrous act that was perpetrated? This is what the cross is all about. God does not excuse sin.

Up to here, we all agree. The cross is indeed about demonstrating the truth about sin, death, ourselves, the devil, and above all God.

quote:
God punishes sin because it is sin, because it is monstrous, because it is heinous, because it is deserving of punishment. So, to be coherent with Himself, God couldn’t forgive the sinner without punishing sin.
This part is getting difficult to understand. Sin is evil and causes misery, pain and death. The cross demonstrates this. God must heal us from sin, or it will kill us. God's doing something unrelated to healing us would not in any way help us. The cross heals us by demonstrating the realities involved.

As Fifield well put it, "The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely."

quote:
But, so that the sinner wouldn’t die, He punished sin in Himself.
This is true, but not in the sense that God had to punish something. Only by dying could we be healed, so God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) out of His great love paid the price that was necessary to redeem us.

quote:

In the same way we, in order to forgive, must separate the act committed from the person who committed it, otherwise we won’t be able to forgive.

Yes, but we don't have to punish the act in some arbitrary way in order to forgive the person, and neither does God. God forgives out of the goodness of His heart, which is just what He asks us to do. The only difference is that God's heart if good by nature, and we need a heart transplant for ours.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14658
06/23/05 04:50 PM
06/23/05 04:50 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Rosangela, you are avoiding forgiveness altogether. Do not mix what it takes to be saved with what it takes to forgive. The two are not one and the same.

How do you forgive? Why are you unwilling to answer?

How do you love your enemies? How do you do good to them that despitefully use you? It is pretty clear they are not repentant while they are your enemies.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14659
06/23/05 05:05 PM
06/23/05 05:05 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
R: Some monstrosities committed by human beings provoke in us an utter revulsion. But if this is true of us, who are evil, how much more is it true of God? Could God let acts such as these go unpunished?
Some monstrosities committed by human beings provoke in us an utter pity. But if this is true of us, who are saved, how much more is it true of God? Could God leave such as these go without trying to save them?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14660
06/24/05 01:51 AM
06/24/05 01:51 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Roseangela mused

"May God’s grace be with you each day, for I don’t think forgiveness is a once-for-all experience in such cases, for every time the pain returns you must forgive again."

With Jesus and me, it is a once-given-to-Him-I-am-free-of-the-pain "case". Once the Master explained to me what happened and why, I forgave the man, I was free. This is a gift from God, offered to all Christians, if they will come to Him.
It is those who seek blood, revenge, who fester in hate and regret that never receive His grace at all, but wallow in emotions prompted by self and Satan in an endless cycle of darkness. Such Christ can never use for Gospel work, as freedom for darkness is what It's all about. You can't preach what you have not experienced...at least not God's way of preaching.

I appreciate your sympathy, but its warmth is checked by ideas like this:

"In the same way we, in order to forgive, must separate the act committed from the person who committed it, otherwise we won’t be able to forgive."

I cannot trick myself with mental gymnastics like this; my daughter's murderer is known to me only as the doer of the act, his heart filled with the Sin disease. He was who his actions portrayed, heart and soul. Bitter water = bitter spring. Evil heart = evil deeds. Those who "forgive" deeds and leave the spring untouched must ignore Christ's call for a new heart, making it a call for merely better actions.

Christ died by full exposure to this sin, my sins, your sins from Gethsemane to the Cross. As per Their agreement, the Father, holy angels did not intervene, but allowed the full weight of sin crush my Saviour. This Christ volunteered to do, long before. He must, for all created beings wisdom, become a man and show how to be saved as well as how much Satan hates man and God in his murdering Him through us.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14661
06/24/05 02:17 AM
06/24/05 02:17 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Amen Phil, Praise be to him, glory and honour and all power. Halleluyah!

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14662
06/24/05 03:55 AM
06/24/05 03:55 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Phil, you misunderstood Rosangela. What she meant by this

quote:
In the same way we, in order to forgive, must separate the act committed from the person who committed it, otherwise we won’t be able to forgive.
was not that we must forgive the deed and not the one that committed the act, but the reverse; we must forgive the one who committed the deed while hating the deed that was committed.

I'm hesitant to speak for another, but I'd be shocked if this isn't what she had in mind.

The similarity she was drawing to God is that He hates the sin while He loves the sinner; He forgives the sinner, but not the sin.

I also agree with her sentiment about time. I went through a similar experience, and for me to be healed took a long time. As I was healed I was able to forgive, a little bit more each time. I'm not discounting your experience in any way, but I understand what Rosangela wrote, and what she wrote describes my experience.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14663
06/24/05 07:56 AM
06/24/05 07:56 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Perhaps I did misunderstand: we will see from her reply.

I was hoping to share that the whole matter of forgiveness does not require anything but the gift of forgiveness offered by Him for those who ask and take it... We need not wait for it to evolve, although that seems to be the experiences of the majority, and for me as well before I learned differently.

As I said:

"It is those who seek blood, revenge, who fester in hate and regret that never receive His grace at all, but wallow in emotions prompted by self and Satan in an endless cycle of darkness. Such Christ can never use for Gospel work, as freedom for darkness is what It's all about. You can't preach what you have not experienced...at least not God's way of preaching."

I cannot see God as seeking our ideas of revenge, justice or satisfaction, especially when He requires us to forgive.

It is those who will not forgive, whether church folk or not, who will have their sins rolled back upon them at the Judgment because they have not consciously sent them to the Sanctuary above where Christ deals with them.

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14664
06/24/05 12:51 PM
06/24/05 12:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Thank you so much for having expressed in clearer words what I meant. You understood my thoughts correctly. In order to forgive a person we must dissociate him/her from the act, for the act itself is unforgivable. And yes, I understand that in some cases forgiveness is a process, a decision which has to be renewed time and time again until healing takes place.

As to sin deserving to be punished, I would quote again some passages I have already quoted in the past:

"Sin is disloyalty to God, and [is] deserving of punishment."{UL 378.5}

"We may understand the subject of the work of Christ. His object was to reconcile the prerogatives of justice and mercy, and let each stand separate in its dignity, yet united. His mercy was not weakness, but a terrible power to punish sin because it is sin; yet a power to draw to it the love of humanity. Through Christ Justice is enabled to forgive without sacrificing one jot of its exalted holiness." {GCB, October 1, 1899 par. 21}

"Imagine, if possible, the nature and degree of Christ's suffering. This suffering in humanity was to prevent the outpouring of the wrath of God upon those for whom Christ died. Yea; for the church this great sacrifice will be efficacious throughout eternity. Can we compute the amount of her transgressions in figures?--Impossible! Then who can approach to a conception of what Christ endured when standing as surety for his church, in the solemn hour of atonement, when he yielded up his life as a sacrificial offering? Never, never can it be that God will again so manifest his holiness, his spotless purity; the sin that sprung up in heaven and its inconceivably heinous character; his utter hatred of sin, his solemn purpose to punish it, and that in the only one who could bear the strokes in behalf of the sinner, and because of his innocence would not be consumed." {HM, November 1, 1897 par. 5}

quote:
but we don't have to punish the act in some arbitrary way in order to forgive the person
Again, we are not God:

Romans 12:19 not avenging yourselves, beloved, but giving place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord."

But God, to be Himself, must manifest His wrath against sin, His abhorrence for sin; this is not arbitrary, although He knows this will kill the sinner. [Ele não pode deixar de manifestar Sua ira contra o pecado - How do you say that in English?]
What is wrong with this thought in your opinion?

Re: Did God kill Christ? #14665
06/24/05 01:32 PM
06/24/05 01:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
John,

quote:
Do not mix what it takes to be saved with what it takes to forgive. The two are not one and the same.
The two are the same and I can provide dozens of passages to this effect. But if you know of any passage which proves your point, please share it with us.

quote:
Some monstrosities committed by human beings provoke in us an utter pity.
You are mixing things. You can pity the sinner, not the sin.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/22/24 09:07 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:44 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 09/24/24 03:24 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by ProdigalOne. 09/23/24 12:28 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!