HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Alpendave] #148827
01/08/13 11:29 AM
01/08/13 11:29 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Dave Mullbock
Interesting how early in this thread, statements were made to discredit the Septuagint as being corrupted by those in Alexandria. What is interesting is that it was the use of the Septuagint by the Christians that led to the Jews rejecting it, particularly regarding Messianic prophecies that pointed to Jesus. Here is an article about how the "erroneous" Septuagint rendering of Isaiah 7:14 was used by Christians (including the Apostle Matthew) to validate the virgin birth of Jesus -- The Septuagint and the "Virgin-Birth" Fraud.

On the other hand:

Originally Posted By: Jews for Jesus
In the few verses where almah appears, the word clearly denotes a young woman who is not married but is of marriageable age. Although almah does not implicitly denote virginity, it is never used in the Scriptures to describe a "young, presently married woman." It is important to remember that in the Bible, a young Jewish woman of marriageable age was presumed to be chaste.
Article by Jews for Jesus
You have to understand, the Septuagint was not one manuscript, and certainly not in use during the time Christ was with the apostles, and it had many problems not just the prophecies as all the manuscripts/versions had the same prophecies as they were too many to take out or change. So this charge is not valid.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #148832
01/08/13 04:12 PM
01/08/13 04:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Rick H
So there really are only 2 streams of Bible versions, those which used the true text of the Textus Receptus (Majority Text) or those which picked up the Alexandrian manuscripts (Minority Text).So the Vulgate allowed some of the partial corruption of the Alexandrian codices and of course the non Canon of the Apocrypha, and you see how the Roman Catholic church persecuted those who had the true text and burned their writings and manuscritps, and for good reason as it showed their corrupted codices and manuscripts they were using. So if it says Textus Receptus (Majority Text) it is true to the many manuscripts that Christians used over the centuries, if it has Vulgate, Septuagint, Wescott and Hort (or its many variants such as Nestle-Aland text, editions of Tischendorf, critical editions of the Greek text, etc..), then it uses the Minority Text or allows partial text from it, which comes from the corrupted Alexandrian manuscripts.

Rick, could you carefully choose some verse which would conclusively determine if a Bible came from these so called "corrupted" manuscripts? I'd like to compare a version.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #148837
01/08/13 10:38 PM
01/08/13 10:38 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Johann
There are mistakes in the KJV, Johann.

Did I mention the KJV?
You quoted it. Were you trying to hide that fact by not mentioning it?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Mr Green, I was absolutely not trying to hide anything, just quoting from one of those versions using the universal rendering.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #148840
01/08/13 11:13 PM
01/08/13 11:13 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mr Green, I was absolutely not trying to hide anything, just quoting from one of those versions using the universal rendering.

So you consider the KJV to contain the "universal rendering." As universal as it might be, most modern versions differ from it rather widely in places.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #148848
01/09/13 12:18 PM
01/09/13 12:18 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland

So you consider the KJV to contain the "universal rendering." As universal as it might be, most modern versions differ from it rather widely in places.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We were discussing Luke 23:43. and the placement of the comma in that text. Which of most of the modern versions not published by SDA nor JW differ widely from the KJV in where they place the comma?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #148996
01/13/13 06:32 PM
01/13/13 06:32 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Are there actually some non-SDA published Bible translations/versions that have the comma in the correct place?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Daryl] #149008
01/13/13 10:14 PM
01/13/13 10:14 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Are there actually some non-SDA published Bible translations/versions that have the comma in the correct place?

I do not recall having seen any.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #149012
01/14/13 01:21 AM
01/14/13 01:21 AM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
You have to understand, the Septuagint was not one manuscript, and certainly not in use during the time Christ was with the apostles, and it had many problems not just the prophecies as all the manuscripts/versions had the same prophecies as they were too many to take out or change. So this charge is not valid.

Rick, Kinda hard to follow your grammar here. Your assertion that the Septuagint was not used by Jesus and the Apostles simply flies in the face of common knowledge. Our denomination's Biblical Research Center has covered the bible versions issue pretty well. The vast majority of the time I read the SDA Commentary and run across their suggestion for a better rendering (which overwhelmingly supports our teachings) and then look it up in my NASB, my NASB agrees with the suggested rendering. The idea that our message is undermined by virtue of the fact that a translation is derived from the NU/Alexandrian text is simply not true. One could just as often use the renderings of the KJV against our teachings. Each translation must be read with regard to the context of the text itself. However, you and many other conservative SDA's have taken an extreme stance (just as liberals take wrong positions on certain issues) and are thus in a position where you have to cite sources such as ScionofZion.com just to save face. As someone who has been on the conservative extremity of our denomination (and promoted people like Walter Veith) I tend to recognize things in other people. In the end, you'll lose your mind. Hopefully you'll regain your balance someday.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Alpendave] #149014
01/14/13 01:50 AM
01/14/13 01:50 AM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
KJV Translators on the Septuagint:

Quote:
The translation of the Seventy dissenteth from the Original in many places, neither doth it come near it for perspicuity, gravity, majesty; yet which of the Apostles did condemn it? Condemn it? Nay, they used it (as it is apparent and as Saint Jerome and most learned men do confess) which they would not have done, nor by their example of using it, so grace and commend it to the Church, if it had been unworthy the appellation and name of the word of God."

Taken from: Septuagint: Riplinger's Blunders

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Alpendave] #149017
01/14/13 09:16 AM
01/14/13 09:16 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Dave,

I'm certainly no fan of Riplinger's book on Bible versions. She ends up being a supporter of the modern versions by simply turning us educated folk against her inaccuracies and over-exaggerations to the point that the pendulum has swung the other way. People see that and throw the baby out with the bathwater--the same as many do with Christianity upon having witnessed a particularly egregious hypocrite.

But just as I do not reject Christianity nor Adventism on account of the hypocrites in the church, so also I don't turn away from truth just because it has been misrepresented and made to appear shameful. Truth must be accepted, whatever the form in which it may have been presented to us.

My journey into understanding the fallacies of the modern versions began almost as a joke. A gentleman who recently passed away would lead an English Sabbath school on the campus of our school, for those students wishing to practice their English during the church service. Being one of the English-speaking staff at the school at that time, I helped with that Sabbath school. The leader used his NIV Bible, and almost without fail, from one week to the next, there came up a verse or two that read rather differently between his version and mine. Mine, of course, was the KJV--mostly because it was the Bible I had always used from my childhood up, had memorized from, and the one I actually owned. I don't think I even owned any other version at that time.

I wish I had written down all the verses that differed, as there were some rather unusual and unexpected differences. Invariably, the version differences would start a mini-discussion in our Sabbath-school class, and I would tease the leader with a smile and a quip about his "Catholic" Bible. I don't know where I got that...just something someone had said or something. I didn't have anything substantial, as far as I remember now, behind that statement, only that I suspected the Catholics had been somehow involved in the making of the NIV.

Unbeknownst to me, the leader of the class, and my boss at the time, thought he would settle the argument with me more definitively, and ordered a book about Bible version differences called "Battle of the Bibles" by H. H. Meyers. (I guess he wanted to prove that his Bible was just as good as mine, so he chose to read up a bit on Bible versions. He may have acquired other books as well, but it was this one that I found out about later.) One day, some weeks after he had read the book, I was visiting in his home when I saw the book on his coffee table. He saw me looking at it and said "Oh, you should read that book! It's a good one." And he proceeded to have me take it home to read it. The book outlined some fascinating facts relative to the Bible's history in Europe going centuries back, and laid down the two major parties involved in Bible translation through the years. Lo and behold, it was Catholics versus Protestants! Remember the Spanish Armada? The Pope had offered a large sum of money to the Spanish king to support his fleet of warships and to send them to conquer England, in part to recover the religious ground they were fast losing on account of the freedom to translate and publish the Bible in that country, for even then the KJV translation was underway. God overruled. The armada was soundly defeated, and the pope, having not yet paid his share of the money to the Spanish king, went back on his agreement and gave nothing. After all, the armada had failed miserably, and the pope saw no benefit in paying up. This was a major blow to Spain and to Spanish colonization. But all that is history. The King James Bible is here today because God defeated the armada that was sent to prevent its completion. Meyers did a wonderful job with detailing interesting bits of history like that. But, though interesting, that did not convince me.

What convinced me most were the examples that Meyers included toward the end of the book of actual differences between the Bible versions; examples which showed the trend of changes the modern Bibles tried to make. One can say the modern versions are accurate translations of the original Greek or Hebrew, but then one would be ignoring the fact that those original languages have themselves been edited. The Catholics have documented their involvement in editing the original manuscripts. While I cannot read the original languages, their English representations make the agenda behind these edits plain enough. All one need do is but think a bit about some of the changes, and one knows that the version containing them cannot be true.

For example, take the most famous verse of the Bible. In the modern versions, it will say that Jesus was God's only son. But in the KJV, it says Jesus was the only "begotten" Son, a term meaning "engendered" or "fathered" in a more genetic sense. If Jesus were God's "one and only" son, as the modern versions like to suggest, then those portions of the Bible like John 1:12, just two chapters prior, which speak of "as many as received him" becoming "sons of God" would not be possibly true. Essentially, the Bible has contradicted itself when it speaks of both plural "sons of God" and "one and only" son of God. The KJV does not have such misguided contradictions as this. Its language is much more clear and distinct, not muddled nor self-contradictory so much as the modern versions have become.

One cannot edit the Word of God and introduce no error. A liar eventually must contradict himself, and those who change the Word of God do likewise.

As for the Septuagint, it is an interesting fact that the New Testament writers would sometimes quote the phraseology of the Septuagint, showing their acquaintance with it, but at times they would retranslate from the Hebrew to the Greek themselves, rejecting the phraseology of the Septuagint. This indicates, to me, that the Bible writers themselves did not consider the Septuagint to be a particularly pure or inspired translation, and they would use it where the translation was suitable, but were careful to choose their own words where the Septuagint may have been weak or unsuitable.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!