HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150396
03/05/13 06:56 PM
03/05/13 06:56 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Define this part of your post: "to interpret the Bible using the methods of the Image of the Beast."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

My apologies to you, Green, for expecting you to know the old "jargon" of Adventism. It was in connection with us reading the Great Controversy for family worship about 70 years ago that I first learned the meaning of the "Image of the Beast". In SDA circles it has been used as a term for "fallen protestantism". It is used 249 times in the wrings of Ellen G White, and it would not hurt you to familiarize yourself with her use of the term.

If you choose to stay for a while with the Seventh-day Adventists, you will get familiar with these SDA terms, not the least if you stay with this forum.

I promise that in the future I will not be quite as hard on you if there are some terms you are not familiar with.

Even today I had a phone conversation with a fairly new Adventist who said he'd made the same discovery that there are more and more church members who are exchanging our solid methods of Bible interpretation for the methods of the Image of the Beast, and he is considering forming a study group with church members to re-discover the ancient paths which lead us back to understanding the real meaning of righteousness by faith and the true gospel.

Ah. More vaguery. No definitions. But a possible lead we have here.

I'm still confused how anyone is to "interpret the Bible using the methods of 'Sunday law enforcement' or 'a form of apostate protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas.'" That seems like a rather interesting form of exegesis we should all be hearing about. smile

Oh...and perhaps I'm the "new" kid on the block who doesn't know what I'm talking about, which, if this is the case, you'll need to teach me about the following statement from the CD ROM (NOTE: The all-caps portion is the editorial comment from the CD, and I have added nothing).

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Sunday-Law Enforcement
Precedes the Close of Probation

The Lord has shown me clearly that the image of the beast will be formed before probation closes, for it is to be the great test [SEE THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER, WHERE THE GREAT TEST FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD IS SHOWN TO BE SUNDAY-LAW ENFORCEMENT.] for the people of God, by which their eternal destiny will be decided.--2SM 81 (1890). {LDE 227.3}
What is the "image to the beast"? and how is it to be formed? The image is made by the two-horned beast, and is an image to the beast. It is also called an image of the beast. [THE TWO-HORNED BEAST OF REVELATION 13:11-17 MAKES AN IMAGE TO THE BEAST PORTRAYED IN REVELATION 13:1-10.] Then to learn what the image is like and how it is to be formed, we must study the characteristics of the beast itself--the papacy. {LDE 228.1}
The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas.--GC 443, 445 (1911). {LDE 228.3}

The "image" of the beast is not the beast itself. It is something done in agreement with it--in this case, enforced religion by the civil power.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #150400
03/05/13 08:40 PM
03/05/13 08:40 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Define this part of your post: "to interpret the Bible using the methods of the Image of the Beast."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

My apologies to you, Green, for expecting you to know the old "jargon" of Adventism. It was in connection with us reading the Great Controversy for family worship about 70 years ago that I first learned the meaning of the "Image of the Beast". In SDA circles it has been used as a term for "fallen protestantism". It is used 249 times in the wrings of Ellen G White, and it would not hurt you to familiarize yourself with her use of the term.

If you choose to stay for a while with the Seventh-day Adventists, you will get familiar with these SDA terms, not the least if you stay with this forum.

I promise that in the future I will not be quite as hard on you if there are some terms you are not familiar with.

Even today I had a phone conversation with a fairly new Adventist who said he'd made the same discovery that there are more and more church members who are exchanging our solid methods of Bible interpretation for the methods of the Image of the Beast, and he is considering forming a study group with church members to re-discover the ancient paths which lead us back to understanding the real meaning of righteousness by faith and the true gospel.

Ah. More vaguery. No definitions. But a possible lead we have here.

I'm still confused how anyone is to "interpret the Bible using the methods of 'Sunday law enforcement' or 'a form of apostate protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas.'" That seems like a rather interesting form of exegesis we should all be hearing about. smile

Oh...and perhaps I'm the "new" kid on the block who doesn't know what I'm talking about, which, if this is the case, you'll need to teach me about the following statement from the CD ROM (NOTE: The all-caps portion is the editorial comment from the CD, and I have added nothing).

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Sunday-Law Enforcement
Precedes the Close of Probation

The Lord has shown me clearly that the image of the beast will be formed before probation closes, for it is to be the great test [SEE THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER, WHERE THE GREAT TEST FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD IS SHOWN TO BE SUNDAY-LAW ENFORCEMENT.] for the people of God, by which their eternal destiny will be decided.--2SM 81 (1890). {LDE 227.3}
What is the "image to the beast"? and how is it to be formed? The image is made by the two-horned beast, and is an image to the beast. It is also called an image of the beast. [THE TWO-HORNED BEAST OF REVELATION 13:11-17 MAKES AN IMAGE TO THE BEAST PORTRAYED IN REVELATION 13:1-10.] Then to learn what the image is like and how it is to be formed, we must study the characteristics of the beast itself--the papacy. {LDE 228.1}
The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas.--GC 443, 445 (1911). {LDE 228.3}

The "image" of the beast is not the beast itself. It is something done in agreement with it--in this case, enforced religion by the civil power.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

So you didn't read my explanation?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150414
03/06/13 06:06 AM
03/06/13 06:06 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Kevin H from New York posted this over at ClubAdventist which explains further what I refer to. He has given me permission to quote him:

Quote:
when I was at Andrews I would read a lot of corrispondence that Mrs. White wrote; the ones that I found most interesting was between Mrs. White and Steven Haskell, where Haskell kept trying to convince Mrs. White of the views of the Fundamentalists and trying to convince her that this was how her inspiration worked, and how she kept trying to encourage him to give up fundamentalism and saying that it NOT how her inspiration worked. (Haskell's argument won out in the church and is the views of the typical Adventist).

I did not realize how widespread that method is, so there is all reason to beware.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150417
03/06/13 11:44 AM
03/06/13 11:44 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Kevin H from New York posted this over at ClubAdventist which explains further what I refer to. He has given me permission to quote him:

Quote:
when I was at Andrews I would read a lot of corrispondence that Mrs. White wrote; the ones that I found most interesting was between Mrs. White and Steven Haskell, where Haskell kept trying to convince Mrs. White of the views of the Fundamentalists and trying to convince her that this was how her inspiration worked, and how she kept trying to encourage him to give up fundamentalism and saying that it NOT how her inspiration worked. (Haskell's argument won out in the church and is the views of the typical Adventist).

I did not realize how widespread that method is, so there is all reason to beware.
So since Kevin H posted it on the internet it must be true..........thats not how it works Johann and trying to blame the corruption these new versions have on those who point them out and label them is not right either. Dont shoot the messenger, see what the message is, and look at its merits if it bears it out.

Last edited by Rick H; 03/06/13 11:45 AM.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #150418
03/06/13 12:15 PM
03/06/13 12:15 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Rick H

Quote:

So since Kevin H posted it on the internet it must be true..........thats not how it works Johann and trying to blame the corruption these new versions have on those who point them out and label them is not right either. Dont shoot the messenger, see what the message is, and look at its merits if it bears it out.

I was under the impression that this forum was for the purpose of discussing various viewpoints, and many of you have also presented the viewpoints of others.

Am I mistaken? Are only those allowed to participate who have the same conviction?

Yes, I share Kevin H's view in this area. His agrees with what our Bible teachers taught us at Andrews more than 50 years ago, and last I checked this is what teachers at the Seminary are still teaching. I have the documents.

Do we need to be ashamed of what the Seventh-day Adventist church is teaching today?

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #150419
03/06/13 02:43 PM
03/06/13 02:43 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA

Quote:

I was under the impression that this forum was for the purpose of discussing various viewpoints, and many of you have also presented the viewpoints of others.

Am I mistaken? Are only those allowed to participate who have the same conviction?

Yes, I share Kevin H's view in this area. His agrees with what our Bible teachers taught us at Andrews more than 50 years ago, and last I checked this is what teachers at the Seminary are still teaching. I have the documents.

Do we need to be ashamed of what the Seventh-day Adventist church is teaching today?
Yes, but pinning labels isnt going to present your side or outline your argument on the issue. I know what labels are and what they can do. In Miami if you dont agree with what they say, they call you a 'Communist' and try to discredit and destroy your reputation with the label. Now they didnt like what John F. Kennedy did at the Bay of Pigs because he didnt do what they wanted and back them up with the Marines landing and taking over Cuba. They called the President a 'communist', but did it make it so, of course not.

I have been called many things but I dont think anyone can even begin to try to label me a 'fundamentalist' just because I present facts that they dont agree with or cant refute.

No, dont shoot the messenger, we have to look at the truth of the matter and judge it by its merits, not self or personal prejudice.

Last edited by Rick H; 03/06/13 08:13 PM.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #150425
03/06/13 04:59 PM
03/06/13 04:59 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
But you have to take into account that new Christians dont always know what they are looking for, and the NIV and the other corrupted versions can lead them astray or into confusion as we see even in Advenstist circles on the nature of the GodHead.
But if you admit that the KJV is wrong in places, too, then could not new Christians, who don't always know what they are looking for, be led astray or into confusion?

If not, then why not?

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: kland] #150426
03/06/13 05:03 PM
03/06/13 05:03 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
But you have to take into account that new Christians dont always know what they are looking for, and the NIV and the other corrupted versions can lead them astray or into confusion as we see even in Advenstist circles on the nature of the GodHead.
But if you admit that the KJV is wrong in places, too, then could not new Christians, who don't always know what they are looking for, be led astray or into confusion?

If not, then why not?
But there is a difference, the KJV was not changed it its translation to destroy the meaning and with the express purpose to delete text supporting correct doctrine and understanding of Gods truth, the same cannot be said for the Alexandrian manuscripts and the versions that use its text.

Last edited by Rick H; 03/06/13 05:09 PM.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #150428
03/06/13 05:11 PM
03/06/13 05:11 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

If not, then why not?
But there is a difference, the KJV was not changed it its translation to destroy the meaning and with the express purpose to delete text supporting the truth and correct doctrine and understanding, the same cannot be said for the Alexandrian manuscripts and the versions that use its text.
Would you be able to substantiate that claim?

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: kland] #150434
03/06/13 08:09 PM
03/06/13 08:09 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
[quote=Rick H]But you have to take into account that new Christians dont always know what they are looking for, and the NIV and the other corrupted versions can lead them astray or into confusion as we see even in Advenstist circles on the nature of the GodHead.

If not, then why not?
But there is a difference, the KJV was not changed it its translation to destroy the meaning and with the express purpose to delete text supporting the truth and correct doctrine and understanding, the same cannot be said for the Alexandrian manuscripts and the versions that use its text.
Would you be able to substantiate that claim?
Already done, start from the begining of the thread.

Last edited by Rick H; 03/06/13 08:09 PM.
Page 12 of 23 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 23

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!