HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15096
07/23/05 06:25 PM
07/23/05 06:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Is the exact day and hour of the second coming of Christ fixed? or flexible? Is there an appointed day or not?

2. When God told us that "it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return" (DA 633) was He implying that the day is not fixed?

3. If the day and hour of the second coming is not fixed, or has not been appointed, can we continue to delay the second coming indefinitely?

4. What did God mean when He said, I "will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth"? (Rom 9:28)

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15097
07/23/05 06:27 PM
07/23/05 06:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here are some helpful quotes on the topic:

GC 548
Here the apostle plainly stated that a specified time, then future, had been fixed upon for the judgment of the world. {GC 548.2}

5BC 1126
As a man He will come again with power and glory, to receive His children. And that which should cause us joy and thanksgiving is, that God "hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained." {5BC 1126.2}

DA 632, 633
But the day and the hour of His coming Christ has not revealed. He stated plainly to His disciples that He Himself could not make known the day or the hour of His second appearing. Had He been at liberty to reveal this, why need He have exhorted them to maintain an attitude of constant expectancy? There are those who claim to know the very day and hour of our Lord's appearing. Very earnest are they in mapping out the future. But the Lord has warned them off the ground they occupy. The exact time of the second coming of the Son of man is God's mystery. {DA 632.4}

DA 633, 634
By giving the gospel to the world it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return. We are not only to look for but to HASTEN the coming of the day of God. 2 Peter 3:12, margin. Had the church of Christ done her appointed work as the Lord ordained, the whole world would before this have been warned, and the Lord Jesus would have come to our earth in power and great glory. {DA 633.3}

FE 335
Notwithstanding the fact that there are false prophets, there are also those who are preaching the truth as pointed out in the Scriptures. With deep earnestness, with honest faith, prompted by the Holy Spirit, they are stirring minds and hearts by showing them that we are living near the second coming of Christ, but the day and hour of His appearing are beyond the ken of man; for "of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only." {FE 335.1}

But there is a day that God hath appointed for the close of this world's history. “This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." Prophecy is fast fulfilling. More, much more, should be said about these tremendously important subjects. The day is at hand when the destiny of every soul will be fixed forever. This day of the Lord HASTENS on apace. {FE 335.2}

EV 579
There will be many converted from among the Jews, and these converts will aid in preparing the way of the Lord, and making straight in the desert a highway for our God. Converted Jews are to have an important part to act in the great preparations to be made in the future to receive Christ, our Prince. A nation shall be born in a day. How? By men whom God has appointed being converted to the truth. There will be seen "first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." The predictions of prophecy will be fulfilled.--Manuscript 75, 1905. {Ev 579.1}

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15098
07/25/05 06:25 PM
07/25/05 06:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: 1. Is the exact day and hour of the second coming of Christ fixed? or flexible? Is there an appointed day or not?

Tom: When His character is perfectly reproduced in His people, then Christ will come and claim them as His own (COL 69). This isn't something which can be "appointed" by God. This is a work in which we can choose to cooperate with Him or not. This is up to us, not God. He can't force it.

God sent a message the purpose of which was to prepare a people for Christ's coming, but that message was to a great degree resited. God's intention was that Christ would come shortly after 1888, but the Spirit of Prophesy tells us that intention was (temporarily) thwrarted, and that "we may have to remain here many more years because of insubordination."

MM: 2. When God told us that "it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return" (DA 633) was He implying that the day is not fixed?

Tom: The future is not fixed.

MM: 3. If the day and hour of the second coming is not fixed, or has not been appointed, can we continue to delay the second coming indefinitely?

Tom: God knows that Christ will come, so Christ's coming is certain. *When* He will come is something we can impact. *That* He will come is not.

MM: 4. What did God mean when He said, I "will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth"? (Rom 9:28)

Tom: I think this has been applied to the 1260 prophesy.

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15099
07/27/05 01:19 AM
07/27/05 01:19 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
... but the day and hour of His appearing are beyond the ken of man; for "of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only." But there is a day that God hath appointed for the close of this world's history.
Tom, what is it about the language of this quote that implies to you God has no idea when Jesus will return?

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15100
07/27/05 03:56 AM
07/27/05 03:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
... but the day and hour of His appearing are beyond the ken of man; for "of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only." But there is a day that God hath appointed for the close of this world's history.

Tom, what is it about the language of this quote that implies to you God has no idea when Jesus will return?

MM, What is it in our above posts that leads you to believe that Mars is purple?

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15101
07/28/05 05:11 AM
07/28/05 05:11 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You mean Orion? Jesus is passing through Orion when He returns. I haven't heard anything about the Red Planet and the Second Advent. Do you know something about it?

The quote I posted very clearly says the day and hour of Jesus' return has been appointed by God. Why do you disagree?

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15102
07/29/05 03:46 AM
07/29/05 03:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I made the Mars reference because you asked me a question which has no relation to anything I've written, so I asked you a similar one. That is, I've never written that God has no idea when Jesus will return, and you have never written, AFAIK, that Mars is purple.

IOW, your question was poorly framed. It's like, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" The question itself implies something, making the question unanswerable without impicitly accepting the premise.

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15103
07/28/05 05:14 PM
07/28/05 05:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Originally posted by MM:

The quote I posted very clearly says the day and hour of Jesus' return has been appointed by God. Why do you disagree?

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15104
07/28/05 11:17 PM
07/28/05 11:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: The quote I posted very clearly says the day and hour of Jesus' return has been appointed by God. Why do you disagree?

Tom: As a response to that question, I wrote the following:

Old Tom: When His character is perfectly reproduced in His people, then Christ will come and claim them as His own (COL 69). This isn't something which can be "appointed" by God. This is a work in which we can choose to cooperate with Him or not. This is up to us, not God. He can't force it.

God sent a message the purpose of which was to prepare a people for Christ's coming, but that message was to a great degree resited. God's intention was that Christ would come shortly after 1888, but the Spirit of Prophesy tells us that intention was (temporarily) thwrarted, and that "we may have to remain here many more years because of insubordination."

Tom: You are using the word "appointed" in a deterministic way, but EGW was not deterministic in her phiolosophy, which is clarified by the points which I made. She was an incompatibilist. If she were deterministic, like you are, she never would have written that God sent Christ as the risk of failure or eternal loss, or to stay on the topic of Christ's coming, she never would have written that we can hasten Christ's coming. These are not deterministic ideas.

Therefore her use of the word "appointed" must have been incompatibilistic, not deterministic. Or to say the same thing in simple language, it must be in harmony with her view that we can hasten Christ's coming, which implies the future is not fixed.

Now starting from the assumption that the future is not fixed, how should we understand that God has appointed a day for Christ's return? What I would mean if I said that there is a day appointed for Christ's return (which I would feel very comfortable in saying) is that there is a day when that will happen. I wouldn't mean there is a specific day in which it must happen because the future is fixed, but simply that it will happen. When it will happen is conditional upon us, which EGW made clear in many statements, such as the ones I alluded to.

Re: Is the date of the second coming fixed or flexible? #15105
07/29/05 02:32 AM
07/29/05 02:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
... the day and hour of His appearing are beyond the ken of man; for "of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only." But there is a day that God hath appointed for the close of this world's history.
The word "but", the one made bold, is used to contrast two statements, 1) We don't know the day and hour of Jesus' coming, 2) But, nevertheless, there is an appointed day and hour. The fact God uses the expression "day and hour" contradicts the idea God doesn't know the exact day and hour of Jesus' return. Why would God go out of His way to say, I have appointed a day and hour when Jesus will return, if He simply meant it will eventually happen some day?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!