HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
To the Law and to the Testimony #151825
04/13/13 09:42 PM
04/13/13 09:42 PM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
CG : So we have the following logic:

A) Given: If it is "good" it comes from God. (James 1:17, Deut. 26:11)

Jak : OK, I'll accept that, although I'm not sure "good" really means anything, but I'll let that go.

May I add a thought here? It is good that Jak seeks the meaning of “good”. I want to quote this text from Young’s translation as it brings the full wordings of the original manuscript.
“YLT Ja 1:17 every good giving, and every perfect gift is from above;”

The text talks about a “good giving”. When children receive treats or toys, they see these as “good giving”or a “perfect gift”. But when they receive discipline, their perspective of these is often seen as “bad” or “evil”. So good and evil is all relevant to the receiver and to their maturity. Discipline coming from the Lord is one of His “good giving” and is a “perfect gift”. However, for an immature child/Christian, it is often seen as “evil” and most attributes these as coming from Satan. The Christian that comes into maturity, will come to see that these “evil” were truly the Lord’s disciplines and sees that without them they wouldn’t of have grown, so these were in really “good” and perfect gifts despite at the time it was hard.

Heb 12: 4” In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, 6 because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
(If it isn't inspired, it isn't from God, right?)

Someone can be sent by the Almighty to do His bidings and may not be inspired(. In another word despite a source may not be speaking truth or "inspired", they may still be sent by the Lord. We see this principle at several places in the Bible but I’ll refer to two.

A. In Deut 13:1-5 defines a “false” prophets and says that even if “a prophet or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder come to pass” these doesn’t prove that this is a true prophet. Then the Lord states the reason for sending him which is to test our hearts :v.3 “Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer or dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God which all your heart and with all your soul”. Dt 13:3 So the purpose the Lord sends false prophets is to test our hearts so we can come to see if we really follow the Lord or not.

B. I don’t think anyone would say that the King of Babylon was inspired at the time the Lord sent him to bring judgment on Israel. Nebuchadnezzar was referred as the Lord’s servants trice (Jer 25:9; 27:6; 43:10). Despite that, the King of Babylon had his own reasons to do what he did, he still did God’s bidding and he fulfilled the law in Lev 26 & Deut 28 upon Judah without having any knowledge of this.

Judah saw Babylon as “evil” and with reasons too; despite Nebuchednezzar was still sent by the Lord to correct them.

Recognizing an Inspiration and how to avoid “EVIL”(judgment)
We can learn from Israel’s mistakes and avoid some “evil”. Now this “evil” that came upon Judah was quite harsh, however the intention behind this harsh judgment was purely “good” so to teach them righteousness. (Heb 12:11 quoted above & Is 26:9) This was not the first time the Lord had brought judgment upon Israel. In fact this was the 7th time. The Almighty had sold Israel to the foreigners 6 times prior :
#1. 8 years to Mesopotamia, Jud 3:8;
#2. 18 years to Moabites Jud 3:14;
#3. 20 years to Cannanites Jud 4:3;
#4. 7 years to Midians Jud 6:1;
#5. 18 years to Ammonites Jud 10:6-8; and
#6. 40 years to the Philistines Jud 16.

It is normal that a child need to learn a few lessons to grow into maturity. And often it takes some repetition like we see with Israel. But what Israel has repetitively failed is to study the Laws of the Lord, put it into practice by which would of taught them to know more deeply His mind and His ways. They would have been able to recognize His hands and purpose in the current events and able to distinguish true inspiration from the false.

We now face the same problem Judah had faced with Babylon today. Are we going to point our finger to Mystery Babylon saying “EVIL” and perceiving them coming from Satan? Thus failing to see the purpose in which the King of Babylon(for us Mystery Babylon) was sent in the first place?

Facing a harsh disciplinary judgment from the Lord, the words Jeremiah received for Judah was to submit to Babylon when he came tied to a WOODEN YOKE. If the people would of known the Laws in Lev 26 & Deut 28 and recall their 6 prior captivities as coming from the Lord, they would of recognized that Jeremiah was speaking according to that Law and spoke INSPIRED words. But the Lord sent also Hananiah to test their heart. He broke the wooden yoke which was an act of contempt against the Lord’s judgment. The king and the people of Judah agreed with Hananiah words and made the error to perceived him as the “inspired” prophet.

So the word came to Jeremiah "Thou hast broken the yokes of wood; but thou shalt make for them yokes of iron."Jer 28:12 So by being ignorant of the Lord’s Laws and not recognizing His Judgments, thus they resisted it which only made the outcome of the “evil” worst.

They could have had a milder judgment with a WOODEN YOKE, from which by definition means they could of stayed in their land and only pay a tax to Babylon as it was with the 6 prior corrective captivities. However, having failed the lesson given to them in the past and by not submitting to the wooden yoke they chose the only other option there was, the IRON YOKE. This event fulfilled the law in Dt 28:48 “Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all [things]: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.

How to Test if a word or Interpretation is Inspired
True inspiration or correct interpretation of current events can be recognize mainly by testing all things with the foundation laid in the laws of Moses.

Is 8:20 “To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them.

Paul was not offended when the Bereans tested everything he said. Even they were praised for it above all other chruches. Thus it is the same thing with EGW writings – all things needs to be tested by each individual by the standard laid by Jesus. So JAK does right to question or test it and no one should criticize anyone for doing what the Lord told us to do in Deut 13 & 18 and Is 8:20 and etc...

I do not believe all things EGW wrote are inspired. Some is, but much is not. Our church never tested it and shunn those that does. So much work is to be done by the church to weed out what is inspired and what is not. I never felt called to use my study time to test EGW’s writings but rather I've been studying/testing the validity of doctrines and teachings against the Law and the Prophets.

Last edited by Daryl; 04/13/13 09:55 PM. Reason: Created a new thread out of this post.

Blessings
Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Elle] #151826
04/13/13 09:53 PM
04/13/13 09:53 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As I don't want this to be a distraction from the other thread, I created a new thread out of this post.

Another reason I did this is for the reason that I want to get to the bottom of this, which I will explain further in another post here in this thread.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Daryl] #151828
04/13/13 10:01 PM
04/13/13 10:01 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:
Isaiah 8:20 KJV To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

What exactly is "to the law and to the testimony" referring to in the above quoted text?

Daryl smile

Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Daryl] #151846
04/14/13 02:24 AM
04/14/13 02:24 AM
B
Barbaramelch  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Florida, USA
what if your brother is sunday preacher and he rejects you when you steadly tell him about the sabbath?

Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Barbaramelch] #151850
04/14/13 09:06 AM
04/14/13 09:06 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Barbaramelch
what if your brother is sunday preacher and he rejects you when you steadly tell him about the sabbath?
welcome to the forum Barbaramelch

Do you keep the 7th year Sabbath? Do you keep the 8 days feasts Sabbaths? Do you keep the Jubilee year as a Sabbath? These are all Sabbaths too and written in the Law that we should keep them.

Blessings
Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Elle] #151889
04/15/13 05:35 PM
04/15/13 05:35 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Elle
welcome to the forum Barbaramelch

Do you keep the 7th year Sabbath? Do you keep the 8 days feasts Sabbaths? Do you keep the Jubilee year as a Sabbath? These are all Sabbaths too and written in the Law that we should keep them.
Maybe you could give a text indicating such in the Law which we could discuss?

Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Daryl] #151940
04/16/13 09:30 PM
04/16/13 09:30 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Elle,

I would like you to answer this question for me/us.
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Quote:
Isaiah 8:20 KJV To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

What exactly is "to the law and to the testimony" referring to in the above quoted text?

Daryl smile

Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Barbaramelch] #151941
04/16/13 09:34 PM
04/16/13 09:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I would take that as a sign to stop steadily telling him about the Sabbath and leave it to the Holy Spirit to convict him of the truth about the Sabbath. Of course, I am referring to the 7th Day Sabbath, which is what I assume you were also referring to in your post here.

Daryl smile

Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: Daryl] #151943
04/17/13 12:47 AM
04/17/13 12:47 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Quote:

To the law(Torah, the Pantateuch) and to the testimony(t`uwdah, attestation, usage. see Ruth 4:7 manner /custom of keeping it): if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. “ IS 8:20

The Pantateuch is the measure we need to use to test if someone’s words, interpretations, revelation, prophecies, or doctrines are true or false(Deut 13:1-11; Deut 18:15-22), including testing our own speculations or conclusions when studying scriptures. There’s no other written foundation given to man to test truth other than the Torah.

This is why I answered Barbaramelch's question relating to all the Sabbaths mentioned in the Torah. According to the law (Torah) there is more than the 7th day sabbath. How can we point to others for not keeping the 7th day sabbath when we do not keep the yearly Sabbath, 8 Sabbath Feasts days, and the Sabbath Jubilee??? Don't you think it's a little hypocritical?

Blessings
Re: To the Law and to the Testimony [Re: kland] #151944
04/17/13 12:52 AM
04/17/13 12:52 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Maybe you could give a text indicating such in the Law which we could discuss?

Here's some.

Yearly Sabbath : Exodus 23:10-11,Leviticus 25:1-7,20-22; Deuteronomy 15:1-6; 31:10-13; Jeremiah 34:13-14; Nehemiah 10:32; 2 Chronicles 36:20-21; 2 Kings 19:20-30; Leviticus 26:23-24, 32-35, 43; II Chronicles 36:14-21)

8 Feasts Sabbaths Days: Lev 23:1-44; Exo 11:4-14; Exo 34:22; Num 10:1

Jubilee year Sabbath : Leviticus 25:8-55; Numbers 36:1-9; Ezekiel 46:16-18; Jeremiah 34:8-17

Blessings
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!