HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15317
08/23/05 04:32 PM
08/23/05 04:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Does anyone who holds to the traditional view that God does some of the "bad" things attributed to Him disagree with the following principle?

If inspiration presents God as doing something "bad", then we assume that it is He who is doing the thing, unless some other text in inspiration shows it is not really God.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15318
08/23/05 08:58 PM
08/23/05 08:58 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I wonder, is it just me wondering what would happen with the trustworthiness of the bible if we suddenly decided that much what it says about God is no longer God but satan? This is both in the prophets, Jesus teaching and the revelations from patmos. If God is said to have ordered the killings of the firstborn of egypt, the deportation of Israel to assyria and babylon, Jesus telling parables where the King orders the executions of His enemies and then Jesus after going to heavin sending John visions where God is warning the world of destruction to come by the outpoaring of cups of wrath by holy angles. If all this from all parts of the bible would suddenly be ascribed to the devil, then whats next for the editing room? What else have we always missunderstood for the past 3000 years or more that need correcting? Is the bible trustworthy? Can it be trusted to tell the truth?

/Thomas

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15319
08/23/05 09:34 PM
08/23/05 09:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I wonder, is it just me wondering what would happen with the trustworthiness of the bible if we suddenly decided that much what it says about God is no longer God but satan? This is both in the prophets, Jesus teaching and the revelations from patmos. If God is said to have ordered the killings of the firstborn of egypt, the deportation of Israel to assyria and babylon, Jesus telling parables where the King orders the executions of His enemies and then Jesus after going to heavin sending John visions where God is warning the world of destruction to come by the outpoaring of cups of wrath by holy angles. If all this from all parts of the bible would suddenly be ascribed to the devil, then whats next for the editing room? What else have we always missunderstood for the past 3000 years or more that need correcting? Is the bible trustworthy? Can it be trusted to tell the truth?
These are excellent questions. When I mentioned there were problems with both principles I suggested, it was precisely the points that you are brining up that I had in mind.

Here are the two principles:
1)God presents Himself as doing that which He permits.
2)God does "bad" things when inspiration doesn't clarify that it wasn't really God.

If we stick to principle 1), then we have a way of explaining difficult areas of inspiration, such as genecide, the inflicting of painful diseases, and other behavior which seems un-Jesus like. However the downside is that this perspective requires a view of inspiration which is more open. That is, taking this point of view can make the Bible appear to be untrustworthy, as you have pointed out in your questions.

If we stick to principle 2), the we believe what inspiration says about God, unless it says something different somewhere else, we mitigate some of the "is the Bible trustworthy" questions. However, we are left with a God who approves of genecide, inflicts disease, and maims those who dare to oppose Him.

I personally have more problems adopting the second view than the first. This is a question each one will have to decide for themselves. I can't make any sense of the statements from inspiration that:
a)God does not use force to compell the conscience.
b)The principles of God's government are love, mercy and truth; force is to be found only in Satan's government.
c)God is good; just like Jesus. When we've seen Jesus, we've seen the Father.

and
d)God will maim, inflict disease, and do countless other nasty things to you if you don't do what He says.

How can these things be rectified? I don't see how. On the other hand, if God says:
a)You are free to do whatever you want.
b)If you choose to reject me, these will be the consequences.

that I can see. This makes sense. If the consequences are ruin, not because God will maim, inflict disease and destroy, but because ruin comes whenever God is rejected, then we have a picture of God as Savior; one who wants to and will rescue His children from disaster, regardless of the cost to Himself. OTOH if God on the on the one hand says, "You are free to do what you want" but on the other says "If you don't do what I tell you, I will boil you in molten lava" then I don't see how this isn't coersion.

The issues of the Great Controversy have to do with:
a)The character of God.
b)The principles of God's government.
c)The nature of sin.

The character of God is precisely that which was revealed by Jesus Christ; gracious, kind, generous, self-sacrificing. The principles of God's government are love, mercy, grace and truth. Cruelty, force and coersion are to be found only in Satan's government. The nature of sin is that there are 1,000 ways it can destroy us, and God lovingly protects us from its damage, but eventually we will be ruined by it if we refuse to abide by the principles of His government, which are love, mercy, grace and truth.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15320
08/23/05 10:07 PM
08/23/05 10:07 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
The controversy is between Christ and Satan; between good and evil; between life and death; between the eternal life that was revealed unto us in Christ and him that has the power of death, that is the Devil.

Everything becomes clear in Christ.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15321
08/23/05 11:28 PM
08/23/05 11:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

The Bible says that a power called the abomination of desolation would destroy Jerusalem, so this explains that Mark 12 and Matt. 26 in fact refer to God´s permission, because pagan nations do not act under God’s, but under Satan’s, control. If Jerusalem had been destroyed by an earthquake, or like Sodom, then it could be argued that it was destroyed by God. Being, as it was, destroyed by a pagan nation, this could only be described as something permitted, not caused, by God.

quote:
Tom: It is possible that God would want Ahab to be deceived? Would His character allow this? Is the only reason we know the Ahab story is a parable because of Micaiah?
No, this is not possible, and the proof is that God presented to Ahab a parable through Micaiah in order to show him, as vividly as He could, the foolishness of trusting in false prophets.

quote:
Tom: If it's every true that God does bad things to prevent something worse, then Marx was correct: the ends justify the means.
After you have convinced me that the fact that God let Satan live was not a bad thing, we will continue this discussion.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15322
08/23/05 11:55 PM
08/23/05 11:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela: Tom,

The Bible says that a power called the abomination of desolation would destroy Jerusalem, so this explains that Mark 12 and Matt. 26 in fact refer to God´s permission, because pagan nations do not act under God’s, but under Satan’s, control. If Jerusalem had been destroyed by an earthquake, or like Sodom, then it could be argued that it was destroyed by God. Being, as it was, destroyed by a pagan nation, this could only be described as something permitted, not caused, by God.

Tom: You're reading into the quote. It just says God would destroy and burn the city. Even with your idea about the abomination of desolation, it still doesn't resolve the issue because God could have used the Romans to destroy the Jews. He could have still been the active agent.

The Spirit of Prophesy says what happened was that the Jews came under the control of Satan, who disguised his actions as being something God did. This is not the same thing you are saying, it doesn't seem to me.

Old Tom: It is possible that God would want Ahab to be deceived? Would His character allow this? Is the only reason we know the Ahab story is a parable because of Micaiah?

R: No, this is not possible, and the proof is that God presented to Ahab a parable through Micaiah in order to show him, as vividly as He could, the foolishness of trusting in false prophets.

Tom: Hmmm. My question was, is the only reason we know the Ahab stroy is a parable because of Micaiah, and you answer no, and the proof is Micaiah. Interesting answer.

How about if Micaiah wasn't involved? Then could we know the story was a parable?

Old Tom: If it's every true that God does bad things to prevent something worse, then Marx was correct: the ends justify the means.

R: After you have convinced me that the fact that God let Satan live was not a bad thing, we will continue this discussion.

Tom: God had to let Satan live because the alternative would have been worse. An evil seed of doubt would have remained, questioning whether God was as Satan said He was. The only way God could answer the question as to whether Satan's accusations regarding His character and the principles of His government were correct or not, and if Satan was correct in suggesting that he had a better way, was to allow Satan to live and give him a chance to develop his way of doing things.

When all creation has seen the truth, then the Great Controversy will come to an end.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15323
08/24/05 12:11 AM
08/24/05 12:11 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
God could have used the Romans to destroy the Jews.
It’s the same as saying that God used Judas to betray Jesus.

quote:
Tom: Hmmm. My question was, is the only reason we know the Ahab stroy is a parable because of Micaiah, and you answer no, and the proof is Micaiah. Interesting answer.
You asked, “It is possible that God would want Ahab to be deceived?”, to which I replied, “No, this is not possible, and the proof is that God presented to Ahab a parable through Micaiah in order to show him, as vividly as He could, the foolishness of trusting in false prophets.”
As I see it, my answer makes perfect sense.

quote:
Old Tom: If it's every true that God does bad things to prevent something worse, then Marx was correct
quote:
Tom: God had to let Satan live because the alternative would have been worse.
?

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15324
08/24/05 01:58 AM
08/24/05 01:58 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
R: After you have convinced me that the fact that God let Satan live was not a bad thing, we will continue this discussion.

Tom: God had to let Satan live because the alternative would have been worse. An evil seed of doubt would have remained, questioning whether God was as Satan said He was. The only way God could answer the question as to whether Satan's accusations regarding His character and the principles of His government were correct or not, and if Satan was correct in suggesting that he had a better way, was to allow Satan to live and give him a chance to develop his way of doing things.

When all creation has seen the truth, then the Great Controversy will come to an end.

What “bad thing” did God do by “letting Satan live”?
Why should God’s mercy and longsuffering be construed as bad?

God’s actions are not one of “show and tell”. Things are not done for display. They are genuine actions from a genuine heart for each and every creation, including Lucifer. God deals and responds to each situation genuinely. The point is to know and understand what he considers proper response.

The one who taught us: Mat 5:44 … Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; could hardly do different himself, when he was confronted with his enemy, including us.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15325
08/24/05 03:16 AM
08/24/05 03:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I had this in mind, John:

quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

But not so when the great controversy shall be ended. Then, the plan of redemption having been completed, the character of God is revealed to all created intelligences. The precepts of His law are seen to be perfect and immutable. Then sin has made manifest its nature, Satan his character. Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law. (DA 764)

I agree completely with your thoughts regarding God loving His enemies. What Christ commanded is what He was, and what He was is what He saw of His Father.

Re: Who or What caused the Flood? #15326
08/24/05 10:27 AM
08/24/05 10:27 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
What “bad thing” did God do by “letting Satan live”?
Just look at this earth and you will have the answer. Billions of creatures suffer and billions will go to the lake of fire because God let Satan live.

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!