HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 32 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 31 32
Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #153375
06/19/13 09:31 PM
06/19/13 09:31 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
You are welcome of course to your own definition. A murderer anyone to murders. An adulterer is anyone who commits adultery. A thief is anyone who steals. An executioner is anyone who performs an execution. You claim that God is not an executioner, yet He will execute the majority of all humanity that has rejected Him.

Did God execute Christ?

Your gas chamber metaphor fails in that the one going into the gas chamber is being forced into it against his will. God does not use force.
Originally Posted By: EGW
Earthly governments prevail by physical force; they maintain their dominion by war; but the founder of the new kingdom is the Prince of Peace. The Holy Spirit represents worldly kingdoms under the symbol of fierce beasts of prey; but Christ is "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. In His plan of government there is no employment of brute force to compel the conscience. The Jews looked for the kingdom of God to be established in the same way as the kingdoms of the world. To promote righteousness they resorted to external measures. They devised methods and plans. But Christ implants a principle. By implanting truth and righteousness, He counterworks error and sin. {COL 77.1}
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Malachi 4:2. {DA 22.1}
Yes, I reject your picture of God. It does not fit the the totality of scripture or of EGW. The Cross is the answer. Look at the cross.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153376
06/19/13 09:48 PM
06/19/13 09:48 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
You claim that God is not an executioner, yet He will execute the majority of all humanity that has rejected Him

As if you could convince anyone that ceasing to sustain life isn't killing! Just read the account of Acts 5 to anyone and try to convince them that God didn't kill Ananias and Sapphira.

Quote:
Your gas chamber metaphor fails in that the one going into the gas chamber is being forced into it against his will. God does not use force.

So you think sinners will be judged because they want to be judged? And that Satan was expelled from heaven because he wished to be expelled? And that the same is true about Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden?

Quote:
Yes, I reject your picture of God. It does not fit the the totality of scripture or of EGW. The Cross is the answer. Look at the cross.

I feel the same about yours. Look at the cross.

God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {DD 16.4}

Last edited by Rosangela; 06/19/13 09:56 PM.
Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #153377
06/19/13 10:41 PM
06/19/13 10:41 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

Did you read the quotation???
"every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution" Cause and effect.
"He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face" Did you read it? "the hiding of His Father's face". Did God play peek-a-boo? No. Sin makes it impossible for the sinner to communication with God. Did the Father arbitrarily go hide? No. "It was sin that separated man from his God, and it is sin that maintains this separation." {16MR 115.2} Or course, you still need to explain how Christ was "made to be sin for us". And notice, those the refuse the atonement, will bear their own guilt and punishment of sin. It is sin that destroys God's creation. God will not force the atonement on anyone. He will not force life on anyone. "Choose life".

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153378
06/20/13 02:04 AM
06/20/13 02:04 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
"every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution" Cause and effect.

The retribution will be the same that happened on the cross - "the terrible manifestation of His [God's] displeasure because of iniquity" (DA 756).

Quote:
"He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face" Did you read it? "the hiding of His Father's face". Did God play peek-a-boo? No. Sin makes it impossible for the sinner to communication with God. Did the Father arbitrarily go hide? No. "It was sin that separated man from his God, and it is sin that maintains this separation." {16MR 115.2}

The complete separation at the last day will occur because the sinner will be in God's presence, and sin is the opposite of everything that God is. God will show Himself in His unveiled glory (character) - which is the antithesis of sin, and this will make those who are identified with sin to be blotted out of existence. So both elements are necessary for the destruction of the sinner - sin and its antithesis (God's glory). You will say that if it weren't for sin, there would be no destruction, but if God didn't unveil His glory there would be no destruction either (people weren't destroyed in Christ's presence because His glory was veiled).

Quote:
Or course, you still need to explain how Christ was "made to be sin for us".

As man's substitute and surety, the iniquity of men was laid upon Christ; He was counted a transgressor that He might redeem them from the curse of the law. . . . He, the Sin-Bearer, endures judicial punishment for iniquity and becomes sin itself for man. Sin, so hateful to His sight, was heaped upon Him till He groaned beneath its weight. {FLB 104.5, 6}

This doesn't speak at all of DNA. Laid upon, counted, heaped upon... Terms which indicate that our sins were imputed to Him at that specific moment in His life.

Quote:
And notice, those the refuse the atonement, will bear their own guilt and punishment of sin.

What I don't understand is how bearing guilt is related to something in the DNA.

Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #153380
06/20/13 03:20 AM
06/20/13 03:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Your "sin destroys" argument cannot answer some of the most important questions in this discussion. This is why you have been forced to remain silent upon them. Why not consider broadening your sights until you can reach a view that is able to answer these questions?

For example, "Why will God raise up the wicked, give them life again after 'sin killed them,' only to face more punishment?"

You cannot answer this. It is blatantly OBVIOUS that neither sin nor the devil could have power to give life. Therefore, why would a merciful, "non-punishing" God do this?

Your present theory cannot answer this. But the Bible is clear--God WILL PUNISH.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What saves us? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153382
06/20/13 06:52 AM
06/20/13 06:52 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: rosangela
The retribution will be the same that happened on the cross - "the terrible manifestation of His [God's] displeasure because of iniquity" (DA 756).

I can understand how God can be displeased! Sin is destroying His creation.
The complete separation at the last day will occur because the sinner will be in God's presence, and sin is the opposite of everything that God is. God will show Himself in His unveiled glory (character) - which is the antithesis of sin, and this will make those who are identified with sin to be blotted out of existence. So both elements are necessary for the destruction of the sinner - sin and its antithesis (God's glory). You will say that if it weren't for sin, there would be no destruction, but if God didn't unveil His glory there would be no destruction either (people weren't destroyed in Christ's presence because His glory was veiled).
Why did God veil His glory? Because if He did not, then all sinners would have perished. Read again the very first chapter of the Conflict of the Ages, titled "Why was sin permitted?" If Satan would have experienced the natural results of sin, he would have died. The on looking universe would not have understood that it was not God executing him. Christ came, took on sin, and experienced what sinners will experienced.
Isaiah 53:3-4 "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted." Did you catch that??? "we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God and afflicted." We thought it, it is not true, but we STILL believe it.

"was laid upon", "was counted a transgressor", "was heaped upon Him".
Yes! But what does this mean? Was it "really" laid on Him, or was it just a pretend? It was REAL. He really bore our sin in His body. It was not some magic accounting going on.

I acquired a number of digital books from the Adventist Pioneer Library (hint - APL). One of the authors is Carsten Johnsen who taught at the SDA Seminary for a number of years. Some of his writings can be found here: http://www.carstenjohnsen.org. One of the books is titled, "The Mystic Omega of Endtime Crisis". I have not finished it, but one of the topic he talks about is the battle between Christian realism and pagan idealism and the Western World. Our Western world is steeps in paganism. I read him to say that sin is real and it is physical. To deny this, is the omega of apostasy, if I read Carsten Johnsen right.

Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153383
06/20/13 06:59 AM
06/20/13 06:59 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
For example, "Why will God raise up the wicked, give them life again after 'sin killed them,' only to face more punishment?"

You cannot answer this. It is blatantly OBVIOUS that neither sin nor the devil could have power to give life. Therefore, why would a merciful, "non-punishing" God do this?

Your present theory cannot answer this. But the Bible is clear--God WILL PUNISH.
You've made this accusation before and it has failed to stick. ALL mankind suffers from the first death, which was brought about not by their own doing, but that of Adam's sin.
Romans 5:12 "Why, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed on all men, for that all have sinned:" Ezekiel 18 tells us that we die for our own sins. All are raised back to life. All will have the same environment at the very end. The righteous will live, and the wicked will die. They die for their own sin. When the new Jerusalem comes down and is on the earth, EGW tells us that the gates to the city are open. If they are open, then anyone can go in. They don't. Why? Because this is absolute proof that they have chosen their own fate. They are not raised in order to punish them, but to give the final answers to the questions in the Great Controversy. The idea that the wicked are raised in order to punish them, is PAGAN to the core. Sorry to be so blunt.

Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #153385
06/20/13 07:24 AM
06/20/13 07:24 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Our greatest problem is that we live in a society where even some of the thinking of the greatest "saints" among us is so hued with the "miasma of speculative philosophy's most cryptic language"1) and we read both the writings of Ellen White and the Bible that way. Thus we have no idea what Revelation is all about.

1) Expression used by Carsten Johnsen

Last edited by Johann; 06/20/13 07:29 AM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: What saves us? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153386
06/20/13 08:09 AM
06/20/13 08:09 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
You are welcome of course to your own definition. A murderer anyone to murders. An adulterer is anyone who commits adultery. A thief is anyone who steals. An executioner is anyone who performs an execution. You claim that God is not an executioner, yet He will execute the majority of all humanity that has rejected Him.

Let's see.... Once a smoker, always a smoker. Once a sinner, always a sinner.

I'm glad God will take us back and "restore" us to a state of perfection we had never previously known.

Come to think of it, I have gone fishing a couple times in my life. Caught a snapping turtle once. But I am not a fisherman. I haven't fished in many years. But I guess, APL, to you I must be a fisherman--and an expert at it too, I suppose?

You're welcome to your own definitions, of course. smile

I have felled a few trees too. I guess I'm now a lumberjack. I've soldered a few electronic components, so I must be an electronics technician. I've sewed a few things, I guess I'm a tailor. I've slept a few times in my life, wink I guess I'm a sleeper, too. I have picked up trash once in awhile. I guess I'm a trash collector or a "garbage man." In fact, I must be so many identities--who could really tell which face I should wear?

If, because God has destroyed, He's a destroyer, then you cannot avoid this conclusion, APL. If you claim that having done something one or more times permanently fixes one's identity, then you have some explaining to do about who destroyed and why God lied in saying that He did it if He didn't.

The antediluvians
Nadab and Abihu
Korah, Dathan & Abiram
Uzzah
Ananias and Sapphira
Herod (struck by worms)
The 185,000-strong army
Elijah's fires
etc.

You simply cannot prove that these events were NOT God directly causing the destruction of these people. God takes full credit for them. Why not accept God's own words?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What saves us? [Re: Green Cochoa] #153387
06/20/13 08:33 AM
06/20/13 08:33 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
When the new Jerusalem comes down and is on the earth, EGW tells us that the gates to the city are open. If they are open, then anyone can go in. They don't. Why? Because this is absolute proof that they have chosen their own fate. They are not raised in order to punish them, but to give the final answers to the questions in the Great Controversy. The idea that the wicked are raised in order to punish them, is PAGAN to the core. Sorry to be so blunt.

Here are some statements from Mrs. White regarding what the wicked dead are raised for at the end of the thousand years.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
... Thomas Paine, whose body has now moldered to dust and who is to be called forth at the end of the one thousand years, at the second resurrection, to receive his reward and suffer the second death, is represented by Satan as being in heaven, and highly exalted there. ... {EW 89.1}

... Then the portion which the wicked must suffer is meted out, according to their works; and it is recorded against their names in the book of death. {FLB 354.2}

At the close of the thousand years the second resurrection will take place. Then the wicked will be raised from the dead, and appear before God for the execution of "the judgment written." Thus the revelator, after describing the resurrection of the righteous, says, "The rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished." Revelation 20:5. And Isaiah declares, concerning the wicked, "They shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited." Isaiah 24:22. {FLB 354.4}

Note also that this final event of the destruction of the wicked is the final triumph of Christ.

Then follows the resurrection of the wicked and the final destruction of Satan and all the wicked, and the final triumph and reign of Christ in this earth. {15MR 321.3}

Why does Christ "triumph" in the destruction of the wicked?

God calls it punishment. Why do you call this "pagan?" Truth is no such thing.

Consider the wondrous power of our God, and then call to mind his love for fallen man. He "so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." How can man, for whom God has done so much, for whom Christ has given his life, continue in his perversity? Can we wonder that at the close of the thousand years, all who have refused to accept him shall be destroyed with fire from heaven outside of the city of God? God declares that this shall be so. He says, "Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it. . . . And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible." {GCB, April 1, 1897 par. 2}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 21 of 32 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!