HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32
Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #154745
08/08/13 05:06 AM
08/08/13 05:06 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
Jesus died for us, but not instead of us.

What does the word "substitute" mean to you?

It was not enough that Jesus should die in order to meet the demands of the broken law; it was needful for Him to die a shameful death. He says through the prophet, "I hid not My face from shame and spitting." He stood as the substitute for man, who was under sentence as a traitor, a rebel. Hence Christ died as a malefactor, in the place of the traitors, with all their treasured sins upon His divine soul. He was numbered with the transgressors. {17MR 340.1}

Gal_3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, being made a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone having been hanged on a tree").

Ah - so we will not die? Don't stop there. Does Christ's death save us? No. Rom_5:10 We were God's enemies, but he made us his friends through the death of his Son. Now that we are God's friends, how much more will we be saved by Christ's life! Mar_8:34-35 Then Jesus called the crowd and his disciples to him. "If any of you want to come with me," he told them, "you must forget yourself, carry your cross, and follow me. 35 For if you want to save your own life, you will lose it; but if you lose your life for me and for the gospel, you will save it. Christ died for us, but not instead of us. We are saved by His life. Gal_2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life, and His life becomes our life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. {COL 311.4}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #154763
08/08/13 05:25 PM
08/08/13 05:25 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Quote:
Give me your definition of vicarious.

It means substitutive; it means in our place; it means He paid our penalty for having transgressed the law; it means He paid the debt we owed to the law.

OR ...

Is it that he paid the price for having loved us in the first place?

Allow me to explain. Jesus said, "FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD, THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON ...." The implication is one of sharing of fate. The world was in prison, Jesus shared our imprisonment. The world was in the furnace, Jesus walked among us in our fiery trial. The world was in thick darkness, Jesus came into the tunnel with us. He bore our sorrows, our griefs, our fleeting moments of happiness, our hopes, our dreams, our loneliness, our fears, our triumphs, our temptations, our weaknesses, our death.

WE brought him down, just as much as a girl will cause a man to leave his own father and mother and cling to HER and HER home and HER people. When we reciprocate that love then we become (as a Church), HIS Bride and all of us sons of the Living God; as it is written, "The Spirit and the Bride say, 'Come!'" (Rev. 22:17)

Jesus' death was not vicarious. We die too. Rather, we are saved by believing that Jesus of Nazareth is THE Christ, Son of the Living God, and demonstrating our belief by keeping his commandments, always cherishing in our hearts the hope of glory to come.

Everything that you read in the Bible revolves around this core principle, that "by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." (Eph. 2:8)

Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #154764
08/08/13 08:18 PM
08/08/13 08:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Originally Posted By: APL
Quote:

It was not enough that Jesus should die in order to meet the demands of the broken law; it was needful for Him to die a shameful death. He says through the prophet, "I hid not My face from shame and spitting." He stood as the substitute for man, who was under sentence as a traitor, a rebel. Hence Christ died as a malefactor, in the place of the traitors, with all their treasured sins upon His divine soul. He was numbered with the transgressors. {17MR 340.1}

Gal_3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, being made a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone having been hanged on a tree").

Ah - so we will not die? Don't stop there. Does Christ's death save us? No. Rom_5:10 We were God's enemies, but he made us his friends through the death of his Son. Now that we are God's friends, how much more will we be saved by Christ's life! Mar_8:34-35 Then Jesus called the crowd and his disciples to him. "If any of you want to come with me," he told them, "you must forget yourself, carry your cross, and follow me. 35 For if you want to save your own life, you will lose it; but if you lose your life for me and for the gospel, you will save it. Christ died for us, but not instead of us. We are saved by His life. Gal_2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life, and His life becomes our life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. {COL 311.4}

APL,
I'm not asking about Christ's life. I'm asking about His death. The passage says:

He stood as the substitute for man, who was under sentence as a traitor, a rebel. Hence Christ died as a malefactor, in the place of the traitors.{17MR 340.1}

What does EGW mean when she says that Christ died as a substitute for man? She's very clear here - He died in the place of the traitors.

Re: What saves us? [Re: James Peterson] #154765
08/08/13 08:32 PM
08/08/13 08:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Jesus' death was not vicarious.

James,
Did the OT sacrificial victims die with the sinner or in the place of the sinner?

Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #154767
08/08/13 10:53 PM
08/08/13 10:53 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Quote:
Jesus' death was not vicarious.

James,
Did the OT sacrificial victims die with the sinner or in the place of the sinner?

You asked, "WHAT saves us?" And I say to you as it is written that "by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." (Eph. 2:8)

What then does Calvary mean? It is representative of, the highlight of, THE life of sacrifice Jesus Christ spent with us. It is like the months, even years of courtship a man spends with the girl he loves and then comes the day when he marries her in front of everyone. THAT DAY becomes representative of all she ever hoped for, her happiness and an indelible memory. It is to her, the ultimate expression of his love.

Calvary looms large to us in that way. As it is written, "Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; YET WE ESTEEMED HIM stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted." (Isaiah 53:4)

He spent his life in service among us. But how do we esteem him? ON A CROSS. That ultimate sacrifice was typified by the innocent animal falling at the altar because of sin. The animal knew no sin. It's only "offence" was making itself at home among us and remaining "spotless, without blemish". And for that, it dies.

Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #154843
08/10/13 09:43 PM
08/10/13 09:43 PM
B
brakelite  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Aotearoa
Quote:

Hi APL. Sorry if I'm being over-simplistic, but in response to something you sai above I would like to offer this. You said, as a reason for your opinion that Christ did not die as a substitute, was because we still have to die. This is true, hoever, the death we die is far removed from the death Jesus dies. We die, whether as a living sacrifice or of old age or whatever, with the presence of God as comfort, assurance, and as our confidence an hope of resurrection.
Jesus died alone. No comfort, no friends, no assurance , and no hope whatsoever that He would live beyond the grave.
We die without condemnation, without guilt, without shame.
Jesus died with our guilt, our shame, our sin and condemnation.
Jesus died the death that we deserve. Surely that is substitutionary? Or am I missing something?
I am not suggesting however that we are saved by Christ's death, because in order to be saved we need the whole package...His resurrection life and power (sanctification) as well as justification.

Re: What saves us? [Re: brakelite] #154845
08/11/13 06:57 AM
08/11/13 06:57 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: brakelite
Quote:

Hi APL. Sorry if I'm being over-simplistic, but in response to something you sai above I would like to offer this. You said, as a reason for your opinion that Christ did not die as a substitute, was because we still have to die. This is true, hoever, the death we die is far removed from the death Jesus dies. We die, whether as a living sacrifice or of old age or whatever, with the presence of God as comfort, assurance, and as our confidence an hope of resurrection.
Jesus died alone. No comfort, no friends, no assurance , and no hope whatsoever that He would live beyond the grave.
We die without condemnation, without guilt, without shame.
Jesus died with our guilt, our shame, our sin and condemnation.
Jesus died the death that we deserve. Surely that is substitutionary? Or am I missing something?
I am not suggesting however that we are saved by Christ's death, because in order to be saved we need the whole package...His resurrection life and power (sanctification) as well as justification.
I ask this question, WHY did Jesus have to die? The usual answer here is to fulfill some legal requirement.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: brakelite] #154850
08/11/13 02:39 PM
08/11/13 02:39 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: brakelite

That is the GREATEST CASE OF BLASPHEMY ever man did speak!

Even on the cross, just before he died, Jesus said, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit;" and having said so, he died. (Luke 23:46)

His words were drawn from Psalm 31. Here are the first five verses:

1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust;
let me never be ashamed:
deliver me in thy righteousness.
2 Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily:
be thou my strong rock,
for an house of defence to save me.
3 For thou art my rock and my fortress;
therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
4 Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me:
for thou art my strength.
5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit:

Jesus KNEW and believed God implicitly, that he was going to die and rise again on the third day. Those who say otherwise do NOT speak according to the law or the testimony of the prophets of old. There is NO light in them.

Re: What saves us? [Re: James Peterson] #154853
08/11/13 03:44 PM
08/11/13 03:44 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: EGW
Had his suffering consisted in bodily pain alone, then his death was no more painful than that of some of the martyrs; but bodily pain was only a small part of the agony of the beloved Son of God as he hung upon the cross. The sins of the world were upon him, and also the sense of his Father's wrath against the sinner, as he suffered the penalty of the law. It was these that crushed his divine soul. It was the hiding of his Father's face, a feeling that his own dear Father had forsaken him as he drank the cup which the sinner so richly merited, that brought despair to his soul. The separation that sin makes between God and man was fully realized and keenly felt by the innocent, suffering Man of Calvary. He was oppressed by the powers of darkness, and had not one ray of light to brighten the future. His mental agony on this account was so great that man can have but a faint conception of it. {BEcho, January 1, 1887 par. 9}

Re: What saves us? [Re: James Peterson] #154859
08/11/13 05:22 PM
08/11/13 05:22 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
You asked, "WHAT saves us?" And I say to you as it is written that "by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." (Eph. 2[;:8)

Faith in what?

Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!