HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #154911
08/12/13 02:29 PM
08/12/13 02:29 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
We are not saved by Christ's death.

So, to you, salvation and redemption are two different things? (See post above.)

Quote:
We are saved by Grace through Faith

Sure, we are saved by grace. But how was grace manifested? By Christ's death.

Heb 2:9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

Re: What saves us? [Re: Rosangela] #154913
08/12/13 03:00 PM
08/12/13 03:00 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
We are not saved by Christ's death.

So, to you, salvation and redemption are two different things? (See post above.)

Salvation is the end product.

Originally Posted By: rosangela
Quote:
We are saved by Grace through Faith

Sure, we are saved by grace. But how was grace manifested? By Christ's death.

Heb 2:9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
What is grace? I gave the BIBLICAL definition grace above. Read Isaiah 53:11 and Titus 3:5-7. Grace is not merely His death. Grace is the knowledge of how to fix the problem. Romans 5:20 But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:. This is not saying where sin abounds, Christ dies more and more. No. There sin abounds, the knowledge of how to fix the problem abounds even more.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #154938
08/13/13 02:32 AM
08/13/13 02:32 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
Hebrews 10:29 "...the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified..."

Matt. 26:26 "And as they were eating, Jesus took bread and blessed it and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; for this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

The only thing that can cleanse, redeem, and save- is the BLOOD of Jesus - the Bible teaches, that "without the shedding of BLOOD there is no REMISSION of sin" (Heb. 9:22).

This belittling the shed BLOOD of Christ is nothing new, it seems to be creeping into many different Christian denominations as too "messy" and "offensive".

But this is what scripture says:

I. It Was The Price That Was Paid For Our Purchase

Quote:
1 Cor. 6:20 ye are BOUGHT with a PRICE: therefore glorify God in your body. and in your spirit, which are God's."

Acts 20:28 " the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood."

II. It Is The Blood That Is The Basis For Our Redemption

Quote:
"For as much as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold . . . but with the precious BLOOD of CHRIST, as a lamb without spot or blemish."-(1 Pet. 1:18, 19).

There are three words used in the New Testament for "redemption";
1. Agorazo, which means to buy in market-place.

2. Exagorazo, which means to buy out of the market-place, and set free.
Like Hosea's prostitute wife, we were being auctioned off in the market-place as slaves to sin, but Jesus, by His Blood, bought us to free us from sin unto righteousness.

3. Lutroo which means to pay the price and set free. Jesus paid the price so we can be freed.

In Peter's time, people who owed debts were often sold into slavery. Redemption had very literal meaning to them, for a kinsman could buy them back (redeem them) and set them free.

Peter told them:

"ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold . . . but with the precious BLOOD of CHRIST, as a lamb without spot or blemish." 1 Peter 1:18-19

III. The Blood Is The Basis of Our Peace
Quote:
"And having made PEACE through the BLOOD of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself." Col 1:20

And how do we become recipients of this peace?
Only through faith. Faith that the blood is all sufficient for our redemption.

IV. The Blood Is Absolutely Necessary for Our Forgiveness

Quote:
Ephesians 1:7: "In whom we HAVE REDEMPTION through his BLOOD, the FORGIVENESS of sins, according to the riches of his grace."

Col. 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his BLOOD, even the forgiveness of sins:

Divine forgiveness isn't just a mental activity, it involves the execution of the penalty, and that penalty is death. Jesus suffered that penalty so we could receive forgiveness.

V. Christ's Blood Allows us to approach God
Quote:
Heb. 10:19, 20 "Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the BLOOD of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh."

VI. We overcome by the BLOOD of the Lamb

Quote:
Rev. 7:14 "These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in THE BLOOD of the Lamb."
Rev. "12:11 And they overcame him by THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB, and by the word of their testimony;

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

1 John 1:7: "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the BLOOD of JESUS CHRIST his Son CLEANSETH us from all sin."

It is by His blood that we can count ourselves dead to sin, freed from sin, and can now live for righteousness in Him.

VII. We will sing about the precious blood of Christ in eternity

Quote:
Revelation 5:9-10: "And they SUNG a new song, saying, THOU ART WORTHY to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and has redeemed us to God by THY BLOOD out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; and hast made us unto our God kings and priests, and we shall reign on the earth."

Re: What saves us? [Re: dedication] #154943
08/13/13 05:14 AM
08/13/13 05:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Amen, Dedication.

Isn't it wonderful that the Word of God gives us such light as it does? None need err, for the truth is all there.

We are certainly saved by Jesus' shed blood for us. Without His death, His sacrifice, none could be saved.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What saves us? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154946
08/13/13 05:33 AM
08/13/13 05:33 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
We are certainly saved by Jesus' shed blood for us.
You added a term, "shed". Of course the Bible says we are save by Grace. Do you define Christ death as grace? Do you ignore the Biblical definition of grace? Yes, Christ shed his blood for us. That alone does not save. It provides a way. And WHY did Jesus need to shed His blood? To pay a legal penalty? When Christ passed the cup, saying it was His blood, was Christ alive or dead? ALIVE. Divine forgiveness is a HEALING process, not a legal process. We have a new and LIVING way through the veil. We do have reconciliation by His death. Why? Legal payment? No. But much more we are saved by His LIFE. We do not worship the dead. We worship the living.

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood; Genesis 9:4 Only, you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. It is by Christ's life He assures us of life (Romans 5:10) We are saved by personal union with the living Saviour, who ever liveth to make intercession for us (Hebrews 7:25 compare with Romans 4:25). Jesus said, “Because I live, ye shall live also” (John 14:19 compare with Romans 8:11; Galatians 2:20). If the death of Christ had such saving power in effecting our reconciliation, how much more will His risen life have power to bring our salvation to joyous fulfillment.

-------------------------------
Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you for making atonement for your lives on the altar; for, as life, it is the blood that makes atonement.

Genesis 9:4 Only, you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Romans 5:10 For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more surely, having been reconciled, will we be saved by his life.

Hebrews 7:25 Consequently he is able for all time to save those who approach God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

Romans 4:25 who was handed over to death for our trespasses and was raised for our justification.

John 14:19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live.

Romans 8:11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you.

Galatians 2:20 and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Last edited by APL; 08/13/13 05:44 AM.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #154953
08/13/13 02:03 PM
08/13/13 02:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Nothing "alone" saves us. I've brought this up before. But Christ's death "alone" could atone for us.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
As the cross of Calvary, with its infinite sacrifice for the sins of men, was revealed, they saw that nothing but the merits of Christ could suffice to atone for their transgressions; this alone could reconcile man to God.

And why? Why should Christ die? It was to meet the demands of the law.

Christ was to die as man's substitute. Man was a criminal under the sentence of death for transgression of the law of God as a traitor, a rebel; hence a substitute for man must die as a malefactor, because he stood in the place of the traitors, with all their treasured sins upon his divine soul. It was not enough that Jesus should die in order to fully meet the demands of the broken law, but he died a shameful death. The prophet gives to the world his words, "I hid not my face from shame and spitting." {RH, July 5, 1887 par. 8}

I really do not understand your resistance to this concept, APL. Why do you not accept this truth that Christ's atonement fulfilled the law, met its demands, and thus opened the way for our salvation? Why do you reject this truth that the law required such an atonement before we might be saved?

Mrs. White goes on to say that Jesus' death alone would not suffice, but that it had to be a "shameful" death.

It was not enough that Jesus should die in order to meet the demands of the broken law; it was needful for Him to die a shameful death. He says through the prophet, "I hid not My face from shame and spitting." He stood as the substitute for man, who was under sentence as a traitor, a rebel. Hence Christ died as a malefactor, in the place of the traitors, with all their treasured sins upon His divine soul. "He was numbered with the transgressors. {17MR 340.1}

My question to you, APL, would be this: Why? Why did Jesus have to die to save us? And why must His death be "shameful?" How does your interpretation explain these truths?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What saves us? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154968
08/13/13 03:35 PM
08/13/13 03:35 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
My question to you, APL, would be this: Why? Why did Jesus have to die to save us? And why must His death be "shameful?" How does your interpretation explain these truths?

What was Christ's mission???
1) 1 John 3:8 Everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
2) Hebrews 2:14 Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil,
3) And this one, and note, it was before He died! John 17:4 I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do.

So, through death, He would destroy the devil. There is that word "destroy". Of course, how does that work? Interesting also that the Son of God was revealed to destroy the works of the devil! What are the works of the devil? Ezekiel 28:18 By the multitude of your iniquities, in the unrighteousness of your trade, you profaned your sanctuaries. So I brought out fire from within you; it consumed you, and I turned you to ashes on the earth in the sight of all who saw you. And John 17:4, Christ had finished the work? And that was to glorify God. How did He do that? By revealing the real character of God in clear terms. The clearest revelation of all time. Yes, it was a shameful death, for He was MADE to BE SIN. He died the death of a sinner.

Re: What saves us? [Re: APL] #154971
08/13/13 04:03 PM
08/13/13 04:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
We are saved by faith that works by love.

Quote:
By obedience the people were to give evidence of their faith. So all who hope to be saved by the merits of the blood of Christ should realize that they themselves have something to do in securing their salvation. While it is Christ only that can redeem us from the penalty of transgression, we are to turn from sin to obedience. Man is to be saved by faith, not by works; yet his faith must be shown by his works. God has given His Son to die as a propitiation for sin, He has manifested the light of truth, the way of life, He has given facilities, ordinances, and privileges; and now man must co-operate with these saving agencies; he must appreciate and use the helps that God has provided--believe and obey all the divine requirements. {PP 279.1}

We are indeed saved by faith, not by a passive faith, but by the faith which works by love, and purifies the soul. The hand of Christ can reach the veriest sinner, and bring him back from transgression to obedience; but no Christianity is so lofty that it can soar above the requirements of God's holy law. This would be beyond Christ's power to help, it would be outside of his teachings and his example; for he says, "I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love," and all who follow Christ will render obedience to God's holy law. {ST, March 31, 1890 par. 7}

Re: What saves us? [Re: Mountain Man] #154972
08/13/13 04:08 PM
08/13/13 04:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Why did Jesus have to die to save us?

In order to save the sinner, and yet meet the demands of the law, it was necessary for Christ to suffer the sinner's penalty. {ST, December 9, 1897 par. 7}

While the Saviour's death brought to an end the law of types and shadows, it did not in the least detract from the obligation of the moral law. On the contrary, the very fact that it was necessary for Christ to die in order to atone for the transgression of that law, proves it to be immutable. {PP 365.3}

If the law could be changed, man might have been saved without the sacrifice of Christ; but the fact that it was necessary for Christ to give His life for the fallen race, proves that the law of God will not release the sinner from its claims upon him. It is demonstrated that the wages of sin is death. When Christ died, the destruction of Satan was made certain. But if the law was abolished at the cross, as many claim, then the agony and death of God's dear Son were endured only to give to Satan just what he asked; then the prince of evil triumphed, his charges against the divine government were sustained. The very fact that Christ bore the penalty of man's transgression is a mighty argument to all created intelligences that the law is changeless; that God is righteous, merciful, and self-denying; and that infinite justice and mercy unite in the administration of His government. {PP 70.1}

Re: What saves us? [Re: Mountain Man] #155065
08/14/13 08:39 PM
08/14/13 08:39 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Why did Jesus have to die to save us?

In order to save the sinner, and yet meet the demands of the law, it was necessary for Christ to suffer the sinner's penalty. {ST, December 9, 1897 par. 7}

While the Saviour's death brought to an end the law of types and shadows, it did not in the least detract from the obligation of the moral law. On the contrary, the very fact that it was necessary for Christ to die in order to atone for the transgression of that law, proves it to be immutable. {PP 365.3}

If the law could be changed, man might have been saved without the sacrifice of Christ; but the fact that it was necessary for Christ to give His life for the fallen race, proves that the law of God will not release the sinner from its claims upon him. It is demonstrated that the wages of sin is death. When Christ died, the destruction of Satan was made certain. But if the law was abolished at the cross, as many claim, then the agony and death of God's dear Son were endured only to give to Satan just what he asked; then the prince of evil triumphed, his charges against the divine government were sustained. The very fact that Christ bore the penalty of man's transgression is a mighty argument to all created intelligences that the law is changeless; that God is righteous, merciful, and self-denying; and that infinite justice and mercy unite in the administration of His government. {PP 70.1}

Does the bread and wine of the communion service save you?

Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!