HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155455
08/26/13 09:18 PM
08/26/13 09:18 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Actually I was asking if you could "find anywhere else in the Bible which contradicts that God slew Saul?"

You presented 1 Samuel:
Originally Posted By: asygo
1 Samuel 31:4
Therefore Saul took a sword and fell on it.

kland, did you know that?

You had mentioned nothing about 1 Chronicles. 1 Chronicles tells more specifically how Saul died. Looks to me you would have used that if you had thought I was asking "how" God slew Saul.

Your recollection seems to differ from mine. Let's refresh our memories. Here's a snip from post #155155 made on 08/17/13 08:41 PM (emphasis mine):

Regarding Saul, if you don't know how he died, wouldn't you want to know how God "slew" Saul, so you know what to fear if God is "gonna get you"? Was it lighting strikes zapping him from the sky?

You asked "how" and I gave you God's word for the answer. It wasn't lightning; it was a sword. Assuming you weren't being an obnoxious jerk, I assumed you wanted information, so I gave it to you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you just lacked information.

But I may have assumed too much.

Now, you don't mention 1 Samuel anymore but quote from 1 Chronicles. It seems to me a reasonable person would conclude you did not know about 1 Chronicles and when you found out, you have changed your tune. Is that the "ruse" you talk about?

It turns out that you didn't lack information. You knew about 1 Chronicles. I specifically didn't mention it, giving you just what you asked for. You asked for "how" so I told you "how" Saul was killed. Then you brought up 1 Chronicles yourself, which tells us "who" killed Saul.

Therein lies the ruse. You are desperately seeking to hide your lack, but it has come out in the open. You know what God said, so you don't lack information. What you lack is FAITH. Some may say it's bad genetics, or damaged ribosomes, or some other excuse, but it all comes down to faithlessness. You don't have faith in God's word. It's right there in front of you, plain as day, but you cannot get yourself to accept it. Like many modern Eve's, you want to deviate from what God has said, and live to tell about it.

kland, that path leads to destruction. Satan was lying to Eve when he said that we can go against God's word and everything will still be OK. Your only hope is to submit to God, resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.

God said it, we must believe it. Now, you will be tempted to add "and that's good enough for me." But don't let Satan keep fooling you. It does not have to be good enough for you. You can ask God why, how, who, where, when. Ask Him whatever you want, and He'll answer you whenever you are ready for the answer. But you will NEVER be ready for the answer unless you have submitted to God and accept WHAT He says.

"But he did not inquire of the Lord; therefore He killed him, and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse."

God said He killed Saul. Do you accept it? Unless you do, all your questions will only lead to deeper doubt.

And please don't assume that what seems reasonable to you is what others should do. For example, I wouldn't let liberals decide how I should fulfill God's will for me. You decide what's reasonable for yourself. And as you can see, I don't always answer questions the way you expect them to be answered. And it turns out that my method sometimes elicits more information than expected.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155457
08/26/13 10:51 PM
08/26/13 10:51 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

God said He killed Saul. Do you accept it? Unless you do, all your questions will only lead to deeper doubt.

The Bible is written by inspired men, but it is not God's mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity. God, as a writer, is not represented. Men will often say such an expression is not like God. But God has not put Himself in words, in logic, in rhetoric, on trial in the Bible. The writers of the Bible were God's penmen, not His pen. Manuscript 24, 1886 (written in Europe in 1886). {1SM 21.2}

God cannot protect those that reject Him. God takes responsibility for that which He does not prevent. The case of Saul, God could not intervene. The same thing happened with Jesus as shown in Mark 6, Luke 4 and Matthew 13, where unbelief prevented good works.

Originally Posted By: EGW
The Teacher from heaven, no less a personage than the Son of God, came to earth to reveal the character of the Father to men, that they might worship Him in spirit and in truth. Christ revealed to men the fact that the strictest adherence to ceremony and form would not save them; for the kingdom of God was spiritual in its nature. Christ came to the world to sow it with truth. He held the keys to all the treasures of wisdom, and was able to open doors to science, and to reveal undiscovered stores of knowledge, were it essential to salvation. He presented to men that which was exactly contrary to the representations of the enemy in regard to the character of God, and sought to impress upon men the paternal love of the Father, who "so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." He urged upon men the necessity of prayer, repentance, confession, and the abandonment of sin. He taught them honesty, forbearance, mercy, and compassion, enjoining upon them to love not only those who loved them, but those who hated them, who treated them despitefully. In this He was revealing to them the character of the Father, who is long-suffering, merciful, and gracious, slow to anger, and full of goodness and truth. Those who accepted His teaching were under the guardian care of angels, who were commissioned to strengthen, to enlighten, that the truth might renew and sanctify the soul. {FE 177.1} [NOTE - this is taking about His mission while He lived as a man on this earth]

Numbers 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

Ah - but DID God send the fiery serpents? What does EGW say? NO!

God killed Saul, the same way He destroyed Jerusalem in AD70, and the same way He send fiery serpents to bite the children in the desert.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: APL] #155474
08/27/13 01:05 PM
08/27/13 01:05 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
God killed Saul, the same way He destroyed Jerusalem in AD70, and the same way He send fiery serpents to bite the children in the desert.

And the same way that David killed Uriah, right? "By removing his protection."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155477
08/27/13 01:35 PM
08/27/13 01:35 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
No, they are not even close. The death of Uriah was premeditated murder. In the death of Saul, the destruction of Jerusalem, and the fiery serpents, there was nothing God could do. Did Uriah reject David? No. Why could Jesus do so little healing in His own town? Their unbelief! Why were the serpents no longer restrained? Their unbelief! Uriah trusted David, and David betrayed him. God was rejected by the people people in the wilderness. God was rejected by the people of Jerusalem. If you think that the way Uriah died and the death of Saul are the same, then yes, God is a murderer. But these situations are NOT the same.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: APL] #155480
08/27/13 01:54 PM
08/27/13 01:54 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
No, they are not even close. The death of Uriah was premeditated murder. In the death of Saul, the destruction of Jerusalem, and the fiery serpents, there was nothing God could do. Did Uriah reject David? No. Why could Jesus do so little healing in His own town? Their unbelief! Why were the serpents no longer restrained? Their unbelief! Uriah trusted David, and David betrayed him. God was rejected by the people people in the wilderness. God was rejected by the people of Jerusalem. If you think that the way Uriah died and the death of Saul are the same, then yes, God is a murderer. But these situations are NOT the same.

Are you trying to say that God does not plan what He does? Don't you suppose that everything He does is premeditated?

David killed Uriah without just cause. God's cause in killing Saul was just. That is the difference. I agree that David's motivation was vastly different than God's, and in that sense, the two scenarios are not comparable. But in the sense of the manner in which the deaths were executed, there is much similarity.

For example, suppose for a moment that David was justified in killing Uriah. Suppose Uriah had deserved death. How would this have changed things if David had used the exact same methodology to extinguish Uriah's life? Would it then have been counted as "murder?"

No, God does not murder. But He does kill. The difference is motive. This difference is defined in the Bible. We've been through that before in another thread, I believe.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155483
08/27/13 02:13 PM
08/27/13 02:13 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Actually I was asking if you could "find anywhere else in the Bible which contradicts that God slew Saul?"

You presented 1 Samuel:

You had mentioned nothing about 1 Chronicles. 1 Chronicles tells more specifically how Saul died. Looks to me you would have used that if you had thought I was asking "how" God slew Saul.

Your recollection seems to differ from mine. Let's refresh our memories. Here's a snip from post #155155 made on 08/17/13 08:41 PM (emphasis mine):

Regarding Saul, if you don't know how he died, wouldn't you want to know how God "slew" Saul, so you know what to fear if God is "gonna get you"? Was it lighting strikes zapping him from the sky?

You asked "how" and I gave you God's word for the answer. It wasn't lightning; it was a sword. Assuming you weren't being an obnoxious jerk, I assumed you wanted information, so I gave it to you. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you just lacked information.
Actually, prior to that in #154958 I had asked:
If the Bible says He did, why should anyone question it?
You mean the, God said it, I believe it, and therefore I can turn my mind off type of attitude?

Can you find anywhere else in the Bible which contradicts that God slew Saul? One other was not aware of it, but being not aware of something does not mean it does not exist.

Where did you answer that question? You then proceeded to say if God said it why should we disagree and that I didn't believe the Bible? I brought you back to my question as to why we should disagree with what you think the Bible says by saying "Regarding Saul,..."

Quote:
Then you brought up 1 Chronicles yourself, which tells us "who" killed Saul.
Could you show me where I brought that text up. I had assumed you were well familiar with the text as several have discussed that in the past. I believe you brought that text up in #155240 and #155333.

Quote:
God said it, we must believe it.
But what did God say?

First you say Saul killed himself.
Then you say God killed him.
Which is it? What are you saying?
dunno

Quote:
But you showed where Saul fell on his own sword. Do you accept God's word in the Bible? Unless you do, all your questions will only lead to deeper doubt.

Quote:
And please don't assume that what seems reasonable to you is what others should do. For example, I wouldn't let liberals decide how I should fulfill God's will for me. You decide what's reasonable for yourself. And as you can see, I don't always answer questions the way you expect them to be answered. And it turns out that my method sometimes elicits more information than expected.

If liberals can recognize wrong and unfairness, why shouldn't we?
Or are you saying tough cookies to them, that's how God is and they and we should get over it?

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155484
08/27/13 02:25 PM
08/27/13 02:25 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Tell us, do you think Saul was deceived by God? Do you think Saul had no idea?

Quote:
Are you trying to say that God does not plan what He does? Don't you suppose that everything He does is premeditated?
Quote:
No, God does not murder. But He does kill. The difference is motive. This difference is defined in the Bible. We've been through that before in another thread, I believe.
Yes, I believe you had waffled on this idea in the past.

So God does not murder but He kills with premeditation? I'd like to see you wrangle that around your vague distinction between "murder" and "killing"!

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155491
08/27/13 06:12 PM
08/27/13 06:12 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green

Are you trying to say that God does not plan what He does? Don't you suppose that everything He does is premeditated? [you are soundling like elle]

David killed Uriah without just cause. God's cause in killing Saul was just. That is the difference. I agree that David's motivation was vastly different than God's, and in that sense, the two scenarios are not comparable. But in the sense of the manner in which the deaths were executed, there is much similarity.

For example, suppose for a moment that David was justified in killing Uriah. Suppose Uriah had deserved death. How would this have changed things if David had used the exact same methodology to extinguish Uriah's life? Would it then have been counted as "murder?"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
To this we will have to agree to disagree. GOD DESTROYS NO MAN. Killing is a violation of God's law. Lying is a violation of God's law. What was Rebekah's motivation with Jacob and Esau?

The words, “Thou shalt not bear false witness, steal, or kill,” set forth the pattern of behavior no matter what the circumstances, pressures, threats, demands, necessities, advantages, or whatever else it may be. In God’s kingdom and under His principles, the end can never, never, never justify the means. Therefore, in every situation, the law, and not expedience, is to be consulted and obeyed.

Last edited by APL; 08/27/13 06:15 PM.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155500
08/27/13 10:23 PM
08/27/13 10:23 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

You presented 1 Samuel:

Actually, prior to that in #154958 I had asked:
If the Bible says He did, why should anyone question it?
You mean the, God said it, I believe it, and therefore I can turn my mind off type of attitude?

Can you find anywhere else in the Bible which contradicts that God slew Saul? One other was not aware of it, but being not aware of something does not mean it does not exist.

Where did you answer that question?

Yes, you had asked a prior question. And you don't know where I answered it because I did not answer that question. So please don't say I gave any kind of answer when I purposely did not answer.

You then proceeded to say if God said it why should we disagree and that I didn't believe the Bible?

You are correct again. And this is where our discussion has stalled. If God said it, why don't you believe it? Do you know better than God?

I brought you back to my question as to why we should disagree with what you think the Bible says by saying "Regarding Saul,..."

But you didn't bring back your original question. You asked a new question. You asked "how" God killed Saul. This one I answered, using a very specific verse.

Quote:
Then you brought up 1 Chronicles yourself, which tells us "who" killed Saul.
Could you show me where I brought that text up. I had assumed you were well familiar with the text as several have discussed that in the past. I believe you brought that text up in #155240 and #155333.

That was a bad assumption. I don't read all discussions. I don't even necessarily read all posts in a thread I'm active in, like this one.

You brought up that Scripture in post #155210 (click to see for yourself), which is actually quoted in my post that you referenced. You said, "What I'd like you to find are the plain words in 1 Chronicles 10 and answer the question, Did God slay Saul or did Saul kill himself?" (emphasis mine) And so, at your behest, I went to 1 Chronicles 10 and found the applicable verses.

Quote:
God said it, we must believe it.
But what did God say?

First you say Saul killed himself.
Then you say God killed him.
Which is it? What are you saying?
dunno

Don't play dumb now, kland. You know what God said. You brought up the specific chapter where God said it.

You are not confused about WHAT God said. You are confused because what He said does not match your opinion, and you are having great difficulty letting go. It works that way with all cherished sin.

And don't hide behind your feigned confusion about what I am trying to say. What I say is irrelevant in the big picture. Focus on what God said. Don't make an idol of man's words. Go to God's Word. Submit to God's Word.

If you still don't know what God said, even after all the times I've quoted it, it's not a matter of ignorance. It is now rebellion.

BTW, I just noticed that you never quote it. It's as if you can't even get yourself to copy and paste it. Reminds me of those movies where vampires cower in the presence of garlic...

Quote:
But you showed where Saul fell on his own sword. Do you accept God's word in the Bible? Unless you do, all your questions will only lead to deeper doubt.

I don't have any doubt that Saul fell on his own sword. I found it for you, didn't I? God said it, and I believe it. Yup, I'm sure Saul fell on his own sword.

What I need help finding, if you would be so kind as to return the favor, is a verse that says Saul killed himself. We all know the verse that says God killed him. But is there a verse that says Saul killed himself? Is there a verse that ascribes the killing of Saul to Saul himself?

Quote:

If liberals can recognize wrong and unfairness, why shouldn't we?
Or are you saying tough cookies to them, that's how God is and they and we should get over it?

You can't recognize wrong and unfairness while denying God and His Word. All they have is their own human opinions and feelings as their standard. And if God's ways are not their ways, yes, that is tough cookies for them. If they stiffen their necks and harden their hearts against God's ways, cookies will be the least of their worries.

If you think they are a good guide, then go ahead and follow in their footsteps. You can sit in judgment of God whenever He doesn't meet your standards. But I would rather not go down that road.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155501
08/27/13 10:27 PM
08/27/13 10:27 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If it is true that the hardened sinner dies because God cannot protect those who are completely against Him and they are separated from the source of life and God cannot do anything to prevent their death, why is Satan still alive today? How has he managed to avoid death for so long? Where is he getting his life from?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 36 of 46 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 45 46

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!