HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 43 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 42 43
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155667
09/01/13 09:47 AM
09/01/13 09:47 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Gregory, Do you only accept Adventist sources? I didn't know you held such a position as that.

Of course not.

Whatever the source, I try to look at its quality.

While I may be free to disagree with an Adventist source, as is everyone else, as a SDA clergyperson, I want to know what other SDA sources have said on the subject. I think that the same may be true for SDA Members--it may be of interest (value) for them to know what denominational authors have said on the subject.

NOTE: Frankly, in citing the SDA Commentary, I did not expect anyone to be convinced. smile smile

In providing references here, I want to provide references that people reading here can easily access. E.G. On the assumption that some people reading here have the SDA Bible Commentary, I may reference it.

Last edited by Gregory; 09/01/13 09:50 AM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155668
09/01/13 10:02 AM
09/01/13 10:02 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
If we accept the Bible as a valid source, the prophecies have already informed us of our modern confusion of Bible versions. (See my earlier post in this thread.)

Green: I do not choose to respond to everything that is posted here. I read your post when you first posted it. I have reread it again and it is my choice not to respond to it.

Frankly, I do not agree with your post. I do not think you have proven your point. However, I believe that you are clear. People reading your post, will, in my opinion, understand it. They can decide for themselves whether or not you area correct. I do not believe that I need to contribute any comments about it.

Yes, as you might expect, I consider the Bible to be a valid prophetic source. I simply do not believe that you have proven your point. But, I will leave it for those who read her to decide for themselves whether or not you have proven it.

Last edited by Gregory; 09/01/13 10:05 AM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rick H] #155669
09/01/13 10:13 AM
09/01/13 10:13 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
I have printed off the article by Chuck Missler as you cited at the following URL:

http://www.khouse.org/articles/2000/201/

I am considering making a response to it.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Gregory] #155670
09/01/13 12:45 PM
09/01/13 12:45 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Gregory
Quote:
Gregory, Do you only accept Adventist sources? I didn't know you held such a position as that.

Of course not.

Whatever the source, I try to look at its quality.

While I may be free to disagree with an Adventist source, as is everyone else, as a SDA clergyperson, I want to know what other SDA sources have said on the subject. I think that the same may be true for SDA Members--it may be of interest (value) for them to know what denominational authors have said on the subject.

NOTE: Frankly, in citing the SDA Commentary, I did not expect anyone to be convinced. smile smile

In providing references here, I want to provide references that people reading here can easily access. E.G. On the assumption that some people reading here have the SDA Bible Commentary, I may reference it.
Ok well lets look at the Adventist sources, so we can look at closer from our standpoint..

Lets go to a study on the issue, Our Authorized Bible Vindicated the book written by Seventh-day Adventist scholar Dr. Benjamin G. Wilkinson who laid out the arguments against Brooke Westcott and Fenton Hort, that corruptions were introduced from the Alexandrian codices into the Septuagint by Origen, that there are two textual streams the "pure" Antiochian (Byzantine) text, and the "bad" Alexandrian text, a belief in the superiority of the Textus Receptus for the New Testament and the Masoretic Text for the Old Testament, over the corrupted Alexandrian text. Look at his book below and see what you find.

Our Authorized Bible Vindicated

http://www.sdadefend.com/MINDEX-Resource%20Library/Our%20Authorized%20Bible%20Vindicated.pdf

Last edited by Rick H; 09/01/13 12:47 PM.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rick H] #155671
09/01/13 01:14 PM
09/01/13 01:14 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Yes, and that work is over 80 years old. The author was a SDA scholar, but not in the area in which he wrote that work.

Modern scholarship in this area has moved beyond what it was in the past. Let me give you an example:

Chuch Missler, writing in the previously cited work says:
Quote:
The oldert existing manuscripts of the Greek New Testament text are three that had their origins in Alexandria in the 4th and 5th centuries. Since they are the oldest (in our present possession), many regard them as having an eclipsing authority. There are a number of passages that do not appeaer in these Alexandrian manuscripts, and therein lies an intense ecclesiastiacal debate.

Let us address one issue that Missler brings up here: He suggests that many scholars regard the oldest MSS as being the most authorative. To some degree, although perhaps not as much as said, Westcott & Hort thought that to be true.

Modern scholarship does not accept that "ipso facto" to be true. It considers the age of the MSS but may decide that a younger MSS is the better reading. Modern scholarship has moved beyond what Westcott & Hort believed.

One cannot throw out everything that was said in that 80+ year old book that you cite. But, neither can one hold it up to be an authorative statement of fact.

You will note that I stated that I want to know what SDA authors have said on an issue. But, in knowing that, it does not mean that I either accept it or that I reject it.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rick H] #155672
09/01/13 02:04 PM
09/01/13 02:04 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Let me comment on one of the points that Chuck Missler makes in the previously cited URL:

Missler brings up Lucian of Antioch who he says compiled A Greek text which he says later formed the basis of the Byzantine text which became the basis of the “Textus Receptus” and the KJV. O.K. Let us look at this Lucian of Antioch.

NOTE: We must carefully distinguish between Lucian of Antioch and Lucian of Samosata. The first was a Christian and a martyr. The second was a pagan philosopher. However, both were probably born in Samosata! Our ability to distinguish between the two is due to the fact that the one was Christian and the other was purely a pagan. Unless I state otherwise, when I mention Lucian, I will refer to Lucian of Antioch, the Christian.

Lucian has a checkered past as to doctrine. He is clearly thought to be Arian in theology with heretical views about the nature of Christ. It is pointed out that the Arians held Lucian in high regard as one of their martyrs.
Lucian is believed to been a proponent of the allegorizing Alexandrian school as was Origen.

Lucian is commonly believed to have played a major part in developing the LXX (Septuagint), and the Greek text that lies at the basis of the Textus Receptus. But, this is not clear and cannot be said to be proven.

My problem with Missler is that he states as factual issues that are not that clear. He does not recognize the issues involved in this subject.

It should also be noted that many of the adverse comments made in posts in this thread can also be said about Lucian and the origin of the TR and the KJV. To tell the full story about the modern versions, one must also acknowledge the issues with the TR and the KJV. In short, I believe that much of what has been posted here is partial truth. I realize that the issues may be so complex that one, to include me, cannot present the total picture. But, I am concerned about those who seem to present in a manner that one would not realize that there is much more that is not being said.

NOTE: I do not intend to criticize the KJV, or any other version. I believe that God has preserved what God has wanted preserved in the KJV and in the modern versions. I have read the KJV from cover to cover more times than I have read any other translation.

NOTE: I will probably post more in regard to Missler.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Gregory] #155674
09/01/13 04:10 PM
09/01/13 04:10 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
In this post, I am commenting on comments made by Chuck Missler in the previously cited URL:

Missler describes Westcott and Hort as having ”contempt” for the TR, as being influenced by the Gnostic heresies of Origen and of having “conspired” to influence the production of the Greek NT. These are allegations which really cannot be proven. To say that one has contempt, or conspired is not scholarly language. It goes beyond a mere difference of opinion. It attacks one’s character and motive.

One can challenge the decisions that Westcott & Hort made. They were not always correct. They did not always have the full truth. One can challenge their usage of manuscripts and selection of textual material. But, to use terms like contempt and conspired there is a different level of proof required. That proof is missing. In my opinion, to make such statements is inappropriate for a follower of Christ.

Missler comments on “3,000 contradictions,” and “deviations from the traditional Greek in 8,413 places.” This statement simply throws out large numbers with no ability for the person reading it to evaluate it. The ancient MSS were hand written as printing had not been invented. There are thousands of differences among the manuscripts. The vast majority are simple mistakes that do not affect major doctrinal understanding.

Missler comments on the missing last 12 verses of Mark. People can debate whether or not these verses should be included in the book of Mark. People can come up with evidence on both sides of this issue. It is not my place to tell you what I believe to be correct. I simply say that honest people can disagree. But the root of these differences lies in the manuscripts. It is on that basis that people should make their decisions. It is not appropriate for Missler to suggest that Westcott & Hort decided on the basis of Gnostic theology. Even if W & H did believe in some aspects of Gnostic theology, that does not mean that such was the root of their decisions.

Missler goes off on a tangent in his comments on the Heptadic Structure of Scripture. This is simply nonsense. Every year, several hundred religious books (probably in excess of 500) cross over my desk. Some I do not spend 5 minutes looking at. Others I may read part of all. There are other books written on this same subject as Missler comments on. There are other books that use exactly the same line of reasoning that Missler uses to arrive at theology about God that is simply pagan garbage. That is where his line of reasoning leads.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Gregory] #155675
09/01/13 04:12 PM
09/01/13 04:12 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Gregory
Yes, and that work is over 80 years old. The author was a SDA scholar, but not in the area in which he wrote that work.

Modern scholarship in this area has moved beyond what it was in the past. Let me give you an example:

Chuch Missler, writing in the previously cited work says:
Quote:
The oldert existing manuscripts of the Greek New Testament text are three that had their origins in Alexandria in the 4th and 5th centuries. Since they are the oldest (in our present possession), many regard them as having an eclipsing authority. There are a number of passages that do not appeaer in these Alexandrian manuscripts, and therein lies an intense ecclesiastiacal debate.

Let us address one issue that Missler brings up here: He suggests that many scholars regard the oldest MSS as being the most authorative. To some degree, although perhaps not as much as said, Westcott & Hort thought that to be true.

Modern scholarship does not accept that "ipso facto" to be true. It considers the age of the MSS but may decide that a younger MSS is the better reading. Modern scholarship has moved beyond what Westcott & Hort believed.

One cannot throw out everything that was said in that 80+ year old book that you cite. But, neither can one hold it up to be an authorative statement of fact.

You will note that I stated that I want to know what SDA authors have said on an issue. But, in knowing that, it does not mean that I either accept it or that I reject it.

Well here we have a solid work from a SDA author, and you dont even bother to go over the points he brings up, which are the main points of contention. Interesting...that says a lot...

Last edited by Rick H; 09/01/13 04:14 PM.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Gregory] #155676
09/01/13 04:20 PM
09/01/13 04:20 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Quote:
14And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.
15Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
17But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
18What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
19For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

Quote:
14 And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.

Quote:
14 And because of my imprisonment, most of the believers here have gained confidence and boldly speak God’s message without fear.

15 It’s true that some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry. But others preach about Christ with pure motives. 16 They preach because they love me, for they know I have been appointed to defend the Good News. 17 Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me. 18 But that doesn’t matter. Whether their motives are false or genuine, the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice. 19 For I know that as you pray for me and the Spirit of Jesus Christ helps me, this will lead to my deliverance.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Rick H] #155678
09/01/13 04:35 PM
09/01/13 04:35 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Rick H

Well here we have a solid work from a SDA author, and you dont even bother to go over the points he brings up, which are the main points of contention. Interesting...that says a lot...

Is it solid based on who published it and who refused to publish it, or what is your criteria?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Page 30 of 43 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 42 43

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!