HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 104 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #155951
09/09/13 02:22 PM
09/09/13 02:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
No, it's not "love me or I'll kill you." But it's "obey and live or transgress and die." "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
I agree with this.

Quote:
God will not force our love. He will not force our obedience.
And with this.

But why did you have to contradict it with this:
Quote:
But if we do not love Him, He will destroy us as the most merciful thing He could do.

So God will not force our love, but if we don't love Him, He will destroy us.

How is that different than Love me or I'll kill you? Or do you mean it really is Love me or I'll destroy you? Is there a difference? Is there a difference of force or not?

I love you, but...
That's a pretty dress, but...
I agree with you, but...

Do you see when you say, but..., you just negated what you said?

I love you, but not really.
That's pretty dress, but not really.
I agree with you, but not really.
God will not force our love, but not really.

When the jesuit comes to the president and says, you need to do such and such, or else. It's your choice.
But the president decides to put his country first. And then he dies.

Do you think force was used here? Or was the president killed as the most merciful thing that could be done?

What about the presidents who "choose" to do what they were told? Do you think force was used here? Do you think they believed they had free will?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #155955
09/09/13 03:10 PM
09/09/13 03:10 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Does the story of Job mean anything? Does the story of the Prodigal son mean anything?

Green quote EGW
Originally Posted By: EGW
By his power he [Satan] had controlled cities and nations until their sin provoked the wrath of God to destroy them by fire, water, earthquakes, sword, famine, and pestilence.
And by this quote, claims that it is God that directly causes the fire, water, earthquakes, famine and pestilence. But is this true? It is just the opposite!

While appearing to the children of men as a great physician who can heal all their maladies, he will bring disease and disaster, until populous cities are reduced to ruin and desolation. Even now he is at work. In accidents and calamities by sea and by land, in great conflagrations, in fierce tornadoes and terrific hailstorms, in tempests, floods, cyclones, tidal waves, and earthquakes, in every place and in a thousand forms, Satan is exercising his power. He sweeps away the ripening harvest, and famine and distress follow. He imparts to the air a deadly taint, and thousands perish by the pestilence. These visitations are to become more and more frequent and disastrous. Destruction will be upon both man and beast. "The earth mourneth and fadeth away," "the haughty people . . . do languish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant." Isaiah 24:4-5. {GC 589.3}
So what is the Wrath of God? It is when He no longer holds back Satan.

Jesus on the Cross is quoted: Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? He did not say, "My God, My God, why are you torturing me?" "My God, My God, why are you killing me?" In the books The Great Controversy, and The Desire of Ages, the forsaking is described as "the hiding of His Father's face". Even this needs to be understood aright. God will never leave us or forsake us, but Sin is the cause of the separation. " It was sin that separated man from his God, and it is sin that maintains this separation. {1SM 253.4} At the cross is clearly demonstrated the natural consequences of sin, Satan is shown to be a murderer and a liar, for his works have killed the Son of God.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #155960
09/09/13 06:25 PM
09/09/13 06:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Johann
Arnold, I asked why Ellen White wrote those words. Do you have an answer to that question?

Sure.

"By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings."

She wrote it because it is true. Even though Satan didn't press the crown of thorns on His head, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Even though Satan didn't flog Him, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Even though Satan didn't nail Him to the tree, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Even though Satan didn't pierce His side, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Thus, he lost any vestige of sympathy the heavenly beings might have had for him, because they held him responsible.

Some might complain, "That can't be true. The Bible says the Romans crucified Christ. Now you're saying Satan killed Him. You keep changing your story. Which is it?"

It is sad that there are still those who cannot see that one does not have to perform an act directly in order to be responsible for it. If they saw things as clearly as the heavenly beings do, there wouldn't be confusion on this point. They would do better to trust the inspired word than their own feelings and opinions.

Now, your turn. Do you believe that it was Satan's will and by his power that Jesus died? Do you believe that God could not prevent Christ's death? One more bonus question: Can God prevent Satan from immediately dying, even though Satan has separated himself irrevocably from God long ago?

I wonder how the old-school, Bible-reading, EGW-believing Adventists answer these questions. I've only been a member for a quarter of a century. I like to hear the old-timers' point of view. Thanks.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #155963
09/09/13 09:24 PM
09/09/13 09:24 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: asygo
Arnold, I asked why Ellen White wrote those words. Do you have an answer to that question?

Sure.

"By shedding the blood of the Son of God, he had uprooted himself from the sympathies of the heavenly beings."

She wrote it because it is true. Even though Satan didn't press the crown of thorns on His head, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Even though Satan didn't flog Him, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Even though Satan didn't nail Him to the tree, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Even though Satan didn't pierce His side, he is held responsible for shedding His blood. Thus, he lost any vestige of sympathy the heavenly beings might have had for him, because they held him responsible.

Some might complain, "That can't be true. The Bible says the Romans crucified Christ. Now you're saying Satan killed Him. You keep changing your story. Which is it?"

It is sad that there are still those who cannot see that one does not have to perform an act directly in order to be responsible for it. If they saw things as clearly as the heavenly beings do, there wouldn't be confusion on this point. They would do better to trust the inspired word than their own feelings and opinions.

Now, your turn. Do you believe that it was Satan's will and by his power that Jesus died? Do you believe that God could not prevent Christ's death? One more bonus question: Can God prevent Satan from immediately dying, even though Satan has separated himself irrevocably from God long ago?

I wonder how the old-school, Bible-reading, EGW-believing Adventists answer these questions. I've only been a member for a quarter of a century. I like to hear the old-timers' point of view. Thanks.

Good for you! I still do not understand why you were so reluctant and came with counter questions which seemed to indicate you did not believe the quotation.

Now to your questions:

Quote:
Now, your turn. Do you believe that it was Satan's will and by his power that Jesus died?

The point here is that he was responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. So often we hear our neighbors blaming God for calamities, sickness and death. God is not responsible for any calamity or death. Satan is the one who rejected God and thereby disconnected his connection with the only source of life in the universe, and his way became the way of death from the beginning.

Yes, it was the will of Satan that Jesus should die because he hates God and His Son. There is no such thing as a power to die, it is caused by the lack of the power which comes from the Life Giver.

Quote:
Do you believe that God could not prevent Christ's death?

I will answer this with a question: Do you believe that God is almighty or not? That should give you the answer.

Quote:
One more bonus question: Can God prevent Satan from immediately dying, even though Satan has separated himself irrevocably from God long ago?

Here the answer it the same as to the previous question. Either you believe in an everlasting and almighty God or you don't. Why do you question His abilities?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #155998
09/10/13 08:08 PM
09/10/13 08:08 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Good for you! I still do not understand why you were so reluctant and came with counter questions which seemed to indicate you did not believe the quotation.

I was not reluctant at all. Such a truth needs to be proclaimed clearly. If anything, I had to hold back my excitement that someone has presented something so profound.

As for the "counter questions" I asked, they only run "counter" to those who do not believe that quote. For such as you and I, the questions are very easy to answer, and do not contradict that quote at all.

Quote:
Now, your turn. Do you believe that it was Satan's will and by his power that Jesus died?

The point here is that he was responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. So often we hear our neighbors blaming God for calamities, sickness and death. God is not responsible for any calamity or death. Satan is the one who rejected God and thereby disconnected his connection with the only source of life in the universe, and his way became the way of death from the beginning.

Yes, it was the will of Satan that Jesus should die because he hates God and His Son. There is no such thing as a power to die, it is caused by the lack of the power which comes from the Life Giver.

Quote:

I will answer this with a question: Do you believe that God is almighty or not? That should give you the answer.

Quote:
One more bonus question: Can God prevent Satan from immediately dying, even though Satan has separated himself irrevocably from God long ago?

Here the answer it the same as to the previous question. Either you believe in an everlasting and almighty God or you don't. Why do you question His abilities?

And there are your answers, clear as day. They are as I expect from one well-studied in the Bible and SOP. In summary, here's what I understand your answers to be:

Do you believe that it was Satan's will and by his power that Jesus died?
Satan wanted Jesus to die, but he didn't have the power to do it himself.

Of course God could have prevented Christ's death. He is almighty, after all.

Can God prevent Satan from immediately dying, even though Satan has separated himself irrevocably from God long ago?
Of course God can prevent Satan's immediate death. He is almighty, after all.

When time permits, I will return to these to dig more fully into their implications.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156084
09/13/13 08:20 PM
09/13/13 08:20 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Yes, God is almighty. I think most of us agree on that.

If so, then He could have prevented Christ's death if He wanted to. But Jesus definitely died. So that means that God did not want to prevent Christ's death. Does that make sense so far?

Quote:

Again, yes, God is almighty. That would explain how Satan, who has separated himself from God long ago, is still alive and kicking today. God must still want Satan alive.

But if almighty God could sustain the life of the most evil being there is, certainly He could have done that with the Israelites during their exodus to Canaan. Don't you agree?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156085
09/13/13 09:08 PM
09/13/13 09:08 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
No problem, Arnold

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156139
09/15/13 05:29 AM
09/15/13 05:29 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
But if almighty God could sustain the life of the most evil being there is, certainly He could have done that with the Israelites during their exodus to Canaan. Don't you agree?

No problem, Arnold

If that's the case, then it is not true that the Israelites died because they had separated themselves from God by their rebellion and He was unable to protect them from death. If God can keep rebel Satan alive, surely He could have protected even the rebellious Israelites from venomous snakes or the ground swallowing them or from fire in the tabernacle or ... In short, they died because God chose to let them die. Nothing forced almighty God against His will; it was His choice. Are we still in agreement?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156144
09/15/13 05:47 AM
09/15/13 05:47 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Almighty God sees reasons that are hidden to us. God is able to protect someone from death when He sees it fits His purpose.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156170
09/15/13 02:33 PM
09/15/13 02:33 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
This question is part of the Great Controversy. Is God arbitrary and severe?
From the beginning it has been Satan's studied plan to cause men to forget God, that he might secure them to himself. Hence he has sought to misrepresent the character of God, to lead men to cherish a false conception of Him. The Creator has been presented to their minds as clothed with the attributes of the prince of evil himself,--as arbitrary, severe, and unforgiving,--that He might be feared, shunned, and even hated by men. Satan hoped to so confuse the minds of those whom he had deceived that they would put God out of their knowledge. Then he would obliterate the divine image in man and impress his own likeness upon the soul; he would imbue men with his own spirit and make them captives according to his will. {5T 738.1}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Page 25 of 104 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!