HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155976
09/10/13 10:24 AM
09/10/13 10:24 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Pardon me for saying this, green, but the advise you are giving others is just what you do not do yourself, as far as I can see.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155977
09/10/13 11:25 AM
09/10/13 11:25 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I repeat "No sorrow can bear any comparison with the sorrow of Him upon whom the wrath of God fell with overwhelming force." --EGW.

Why was God angry with Jesus? Why did Jesus die?

Naturally, Jesus' death was occasioned by sin. Sin also separated Him from His Father, and this was partly the cause of His death. But what about the "second death" part? What exactly is that? It is not just an ordinary expiration of life. It is receiving the full penalty demanded by justice for the guilt of sin. And the Father gave Jesus this penalty. This was His "wrath."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
When God separates Himself from the wicked, they will experience not only the penalty or the wages for sin, but the ultimate judgment of eternal death.

Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: Johann] #155978
09/10/13 11:29 AM
09/10/13 11:29 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
God's wrath is revealed. Indeed. Where in that text does it ever say that this is the ONLY portion of God's wrath to ever be revealed? If you take it to mean that this is the only manner in which God's wrath is to be revealed, how do you interpret Mrs. White's statements that tell us, in clearest terms, that God's full wrath has never been revealed yet, and will only be demonstrated after probation's close?
only? What is God's wrath in Romans 1? Translate that to after the close of probation. WHO causes all the calamities after the close? God? Is that what you are saying? No, it is Satan. God's wrath is the same as Romans 1. The angels of Revelation 7 have power to hurt the earth. How do they hurt the earth? Exactly the same way as Romans 1.

The SDABC states it quite clearly. Here is the entry for Romans 1:18

For. Here the main argument of the epistle begins. Paul first seek to show that all men, Gentiles and Jews alike, need the righteousness that is revealed in the gospel. For all men are sinners and therefore exposed to the wrath of God, whether Gentiles (Romans 1:13-32) or Jews (Romans 2:1-29; Romans 3:1-20).

The wrath of God. That is, the divine displeasure against sin, resulting ultimately in the abandonment of man to the judgment of death (see Romans 6:23; John 3:36). The wrath of the infinite God must not be compared to human passion. God is love (1 John 4:8), and though He hates sin, He loves the sinner (SC-54). However, God does not force His love upon those who are unwilling to receive His mercy (see DA-22; DA-466; DA-759). Thus, God’s wrath against sin is exercised in the withdrawal of His presence and life-giving power from those who choose to remain in sin and thus share in its inevitable consequences (see Genesis 6:3; cf. DA-107; DA-763; DA-764; SC-17; SC-18).

This is illustrated by the terrible experience of the Jews after their rejection of Christ. Since they had become confirmed in their stubborn impenitence and had refused the last offers of mercy, “God withdrew His protection from them and removed His restraining power from Satan and his angels, and the nation was left to the control of the leader she had chosen” (GC-28).

When God’s wrath against sin fell upon Christ as our substitute, it was the separation from His Father that caused Him such great anguish. “This agony He must not exert His divine power to escape. As man He must suffer the consequence of man’s sin. As man He must endure the wrath of God against transgression” (DA-686). Finally, on the cross, “the wrath of God against sin, the terrible manifestation of His displeasure because of iniquity, filled the soul of His Son with consternation. … The withdrawal of the divine countenance from the Saviour in this hour of supreme anguish pierced His heart with a sorrow that can never be fully understood by man” (DA-753).

Thus, as Paul explains in Romans 1:24; Romans 1:26; Romans 1:28, God reveals His wrath by turning impenitent men over to the inevitable results of their rebellion. This persistent resistance of God’s love and mercy culminates in the final revelation of God’s wrath on that day when the Spirit of God is at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, the wicked have no protection from the evil one. “As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose” (GC-614). Then fire comes down from God out of heaven, and sin and sinners are forever destroyed (Revelation 20:9; cf. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10).

But even this final revelation of God’s wrath in the destruction of the wicked is not an act of arbitrary power. “God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life” (DA-764). God gives men existence for a time so that they may develop their characters. When this has been accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. “By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire” (ibid.; cf. GC-543).

Revealed. Or, “is being revealed” (see Romans 1:17). The full manifestation of the wrath of God will be seen at the end of the world (Romans 2:5; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9; Revelation 6:16-17). But God’s displeasure against sin is also being revealed in the condition of mankind. The debasing vices and deliberate wickedness to which the sinner is given over (Romans 1:24-32), prove God’s condemnation and punishment of sin. Paul’s preaching of the righteousness of God revealed in the gospel (Romans 1:17) also serves to reveal the wrath of God more clearly than ever before.

From heaven. The revelation of divine wrath comes as a message of warning from God’s throne.

Ungodliness. Gr. asebeia, “lack of reverence for God,” “irreligion” (see Romans 1:21).

Unrighteousness. Gr. adikia, “lack of right conduct,” “injustice” (see Romans 1:29).

Hold. Gr. katechō, “to possess,” “to hold fast,” “to hold back,” “to hinder,” “to suppress.” The context here shows that the meaning “hold back” is to be preferred. Compare similar uses of the word in Luke 4:42; 2 Thessalonians 2:6-7.

The truth. This refers particularly to knowledge concerning God (see Romans 1:19; Romans 1:25; see on John 8:32).

In unrighteousness. In and by their wickedness men were holding back and suppressing the truth about God. In their determination to practice iniquity men were unwilling to retain the knowledge of a pure and holy God who they knew was opposed to such deeds and would punish them. By so doing they were not only suppressing the truth in their own hearts but also concealing the truth from others.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: APL] #155979
09/10/13 12:20 PM
09/10/13 12:20 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Except for volume 7A, which contains Mrs. White's own comments, I have no special regard for the SDABC. I think we have discussed this before. If you wish to address my views, there's not point in pushing upon me something that I do not accept.

For example, they say...

Quote:
However, God does not force His love upon those who are unwilling to receive His mercy (see DA-22; DA-466; DA-759).

They are wrong, as I see it. God loves them whether they want Him to love them or not. Or, are you saying that God does not love people if they don't want Him to? In either case, I am sure, even after reviewing those pages from the Desire of Ages that Mrs. White does not teach this concept. Her concept is similar, but sufficiently distinct as to be altogether different.

Let's stick with inspiration. smile

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155982
09/10/13 01:08 PM
09/10/13 01:08 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I bring up the SDABC because it shows that what I am saying is not unique to me. This entry definitely goes against your view.

Now - take you comment and see how misconstrued it is. The commentary states that "God does not force His love upon those who are unwilling to receive His mercy". You then totally twist this to say that this comment that God's love is conditional. What? God loves everyone, unconditionally. But God does not force Himself on anyone. The commentary is absolutely correct, and your comment is in reply is wide off the mark. You obviously did not read the EGW quotes used in support of the commentary, for if you had, you would have read:
Originally Posted By: EGW
In the work of redemption there is no compulsion. No external force is employed. Under the influence of the Spirit of God, man is left free to choose whom he will serve. {DA 466.4}
How about that! God does not force His love on anyone. No compulsion, no external force is employed. This commentary entry is confirmed!
Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan’s government. The Lord’s principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God’s government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. {DA 759.1}
Wow! Again the commentary's statement is confirmed!

If you read on, on the same page we find:
All heaven and the unfallen worlds had been witnesses to the controversy. With what intense interest did they follow the closing scenes of the conflict. They beheld the Saviour enter the garden of Gethsemane, His soul bowed down with the horror of a great darkness. They heard His bitter cry, “Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me.” Matthew 26:39. As the Father’s presence was withdrawn, they saw Him sorrowful with a bitterness of sorrow exceeding that of the last great struggle with death. The bloody sweat was forced from His pores, and fell in drops upon the ground. Thrice the prayer for deliverance was wrung from His lips. Heaven could no longer endure the sight, and a messenger of comfort was sent to the Son of God. {DA 759.5}
Amazing! Christ was suffering under the weight of Sin, and the Father was not touching Him. The Father was not torturing Him. The Father was not executing Him. God's wrath, is His withdrawal, His letting God, His giving up, just as Romans 1 says it is.

Green - this is inspiration speaking. Harden not your heart.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: APL] #155985
09/10/13 01:42 PM
09/10/13 01:42 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

You are not nearly as precise in your studies as what I personally would need to satisfy me. Perhaps this is why you are unable to persuade me.

For example, the following:

Originally Posted By: APL
In the work of redemption there is no compulsion. No external force is employed. Under the influence of the Spirit of God, man is left free to choose whom he will serve. {DA 466.4}
How about that! God does not force His love on anyone. No compulsion, no external force is employed. This commentary entry is confirmed!

Where in the quote is love mentioned? You leverage that quote to address something that Mrs. White did not support there.

I further take issue with the fact that "God does not force His love on anyone" in the sense of hell. When God reveals His character fully, causing the death of the wicked, His love will most certainly be a part of that picture which they are forced to see.

Note the following passage from Mrs. White.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There were occasions when Jesus stood forth while in human flesh as the Son of God. Divinity flashed through humanity, and was seen by the scoffing priests and rulers. Was it acknowledged? Some acknowledged that He was the Christ, but the larger portion of those who upon these special occasions were forced to see that He was the Son of God, refused to receive Him. Their blindness corresponded to their determined resistance of conviction. {ST, May 10, 1899 par. 12}

She says they were "forced to see that [Jesus] was the Son of God." Forced?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155987
09/10/13 02:28 PM
09/10/13 02:28 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
[quote=green]Where in the quote is love mentioned? You leverage that quote to address something that Mrs. White did not support there.[quote]The plan of redemption is not love? You really are unbelieveable.

Seeing does not equal receiving, and they were still blind! The people were not compelled to accept him.

Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: APL] #155992
09/10/13 03:45 PM
09/10/13 03:45 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
I think if we look at the story of Pharoah and the plagues its plain to see how God works.

Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155994
09/10/13 03:53 PM
09/10/13 03:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
You are the one who is not listening. Please point me to even one post where I have said that God murders. You will not find one.
Could you give something a little more challenging?

Here's one:
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forum...true#Post155442
Originally Posted By: kland
So you're saying that Saul failed to commit suicide, but God finished him off? By what means?
Not necessarily. I'm saying God abandoned Saul, leaving him to die.

Did David kill Uriah the Hittite? The Bible says he did. Do you believe that David did so? By whose sword? By the Philistine sword, right?

God killed Saul in the same manner. God was the King in charge of that battle. His men were out there fighting the enemy. God abandoned Saul. The enemy sorely pressed him. He was wounded. He would have died anyhow, but he hastened his own death by taking things into his own hands due to his cowardice toward potential torture by his enemies.
Be sure to read the following posts and note the lack of response from Green and then the

Quote:
Yes, I have said that God kills. But just because YOU do not see any difference does not mean that I or others do not. Your inability to discern the distinction between "kill" and "murder" does not equate to an inability on my part to listen.
Well, you've been asked to give the distinction between the two, but you have not. Why not?

Can you? Are you able to give a distinction between killing and murder so that even an 8th grader can look at and review a situation and be able to determine the difference?

Re: Did Christ Die the Second Death? [Re: kland] #155996
09/10/13 06:03 PM
09/10/13 06:03 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
GREEN - is black and white.

Originally Posted By: green
Originally Posted By: APL
In the work of redemption there is no compulsion. No external force is employed. Under the influence of the Spirit of God, man is left free to choose whom he will serve. {DA 466.4}
Where in the quote is love mentioned? You leverage that quote to address something that Mrs. White did not support there.

See! Green is black and white. EGW sayd, in the work of redemption, there is no compulsion. This confirming a quote I provided earily showing that God will not force His love on any one. To wit, Green says, where is love mentioned?

Redemption is the work of God, for God so LOVED the world... If the word love was in my EGW quote, that would be very white for Green. Since the word love is not in the quote, then love can't possibly be in implied. The word love is not in the quote, so it is black. Green - you are the one that sees only black or white.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!