HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 104 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156234
09/16/13 06:57 PM
09/16/13 06:57 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Let's also remember this (emphasis mine):
Originally Posted By: Johann
Almighty God sees reasons that are hidden to us. God is able to protect someone from death when He sees it fits His purpose.

There are times when it fits God's purpose better to NOT protect someone from death.

FYI, I run a hospice. Death is a daily experience for me. And I can see many times when death is the better alternative over life. Few people prefer to live as a vegetable being continuously cared for by family, friends, and strangers alike. There is a good reason why God made death an integral part of the "sin package."

And as the one in charge, I also have the responsibility of determining who will or will not be employed by my hospice. Most people are not good fits for hospice work, so I need to find the ones that fit. And even if someone really wants to work for my hospice, I need to decide if continued employment is best for the employee, the organization, and our patients.

Consequently, due to the nature of my current life, I can easily relate to having to make and execute decisions that may go against my preference, but I must do it for the best of all involved. Similar to fatherhood, this has taught me a little bit about how God deals with us, given the sinful mess we are in.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156239
09/16/13 07:27 PM
09/16/13 07:27 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: APL
Christ demonstrated that sin causes death. Saving Jesus from death would have been a violation of His character.

Those two sentences don't add up in my mind, especially seeing as God and Jesus never sinned.

Blesssings,

Green Cochoa.
Green being black and white again... Don't take things out of context... Saving Jesus from death would be a violation of His Character, WHY? Do you not understand WHY? Because it would have meant that sinners would have been lost and that God and Jesus were not self-sacrificing sustaining Satan's claim.s

Last edited by APL; 09/16/13 07:57 PM.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156241
09/16/13 08:00 PM
09/16/13 08:00 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: Johann
Arnold, there are questions connected with the nature of God which require an almighty insight to answer. Are some of your questions approaching this old adage:

If God is almighty could He create a stone which is so heavy that He cannot lift it Himself?

Scripture teaches us that what is revealed about the nature of God is good for us to examine, but what isn´t is none of our business.

It's actually not that complicated or philosophical. You brought up that it is a law of nature that separation from God results in death. Did God create that law of nature? Or is it Satan who made it that way?

If Satan was the one who invented that law, can God override it? You said that God is almighty and we shouldn't even question His ability to do anything He wants to do.

So, either God made that law and He wants it that way, or Satan made that law but God does not want to change it at the moment. Either way, it is not God's will that it be any different at the moment.

We have been in agreement so far. Are you changing your mind? I have not.

Not at all. Thanks!

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #156242
09/16/13 08:09 PM
09/16/13 08:09 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: asygo

FYI, I run a hospice. Death is a daily experience for me.
Now I understand better some of you comments.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #156246
09/16/13 10:45 PM
09/16/13 10:45 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
So asygo - running a hospice, to you think that euthanasia is a good thing? Would you administer it? If not, why not? Is that not what you thing God does in the end?

Last edited by APL; 09/16/13 10:45 PM.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156257
09/17/13 03:28 AM
09/17/13 03:28 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Saving Jesus from death would be a violation of His Character, WHY? Do you not understand WHY?

Frankly, no. I do not understand your thinking on this point. Your concept here parallels what Elle has come to see as the truth lately.

You see, I believe Jesus willingly and voluntarily chose to sacrifice His life on our behalf. I do not believe that God was forced to do this. In fact, Mrs. White indicates as much, for she says...
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Said the angel, "Think ye that the Father yielded up His dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no." It was even a struggle with the God of heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His darling Son to die for them. Angels were so interested for man's salvation that there could be found among them those who would yield their glory and give their life for perishing man. "But," said my accompanying angel, "that would avail nothing." The transgression was so great that an angel's life would not pay the debt. Nothing but the death and intercession of God's Son would pay the debt and save lost man from hopeless sorrow and misery. {EW 127.1}

It seems from the above passage that God had a CHOICE. Remember, APL, that CHOICE is a principle of God's government. That is, in essence, the opposite of FORCE which you have so adamantly claimed is not a part of God's government. Why, then, would you feel God was forced to let His Son die?

As a mortal and sinful human being without God's great wisdom, I personally feel more attracted to Jesus in thinking that He gave His life willingly. If I were to think He had been forced to do so, then the "love" aspect of it suddenly shrinks. No, I cannot accept that He was forced. Compelled by His own love, perhaps. But not forced against His will in any whit. Neither was God forced against His will to let Jesus die.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156258
09/17/13 03:42 AM
09/17/13 03:42 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
You see, I believe Jesus willingly and voluntarily chose to sacrifice His life on our behalf. I do not believe that God was forced to do this. In fact, Mrs. White indicates as much, for she says...
Shocking, but I agree that Jesus willingly laid down His life. Re-read what I wrote.
Quote:
Could God have prevented Christ's death? Yes, BUT - what would be the implications for sinners? They would have been lost. Satan's claims would have been sustained, the questions in the great controversy would have been true. Christ demonstrated that sin causes death. Saving Jesus from death would have been a violation of His character.
Could Christ's death have been prevented? What was my answer? YES. But continue - what would have been the implications for sinners? They would have been lost. And God was not going to let them be lost, that would have been a violation of His character. Your quote from Early Writings sustains my view! It was not FORCE to let Jesus die. Sinners also do not die because of the exercise of FORCE. Without the death of Christ, sinners would have been lost. Saving Jesus would have been a contrary to THEIR character, which is others-center, self-sacrificial, non-arbitruary, loving, not exacting, not severe! Sparing Jesus's life, would have have sustained Satan's claims. Christ's sacrifice was not forced! It was voluntary, and if was spared from death, you would have died no matter what.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156259
09/17/13 04:07 AM
09/17/13 04:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: green
Shocking, but I agree that Jesus willingly laid down His life. Re-read what I wrote.
Quote:
Could God have prevented Christ's death? Yes, BUT - what would be the implications for sinners? They would have been lost. Satan's claims would have been sustained, the questions in the great controversy would have been true. Christ demonstrated that sin causes death. Saving Jesus from death would have been a violation of His character.
Could Christ's death have been prevented? What was my answer? YES. But continue - what would have been the implications for sinners? They would have been lost. And God was not going to let them be lost, that would have been a violation of His character. Your quote from Early Writings sustains my view! It was not FORCE to let Jesus die. Sinners also do not die because of the exercise of FORCE. Without the death of Christ, sinners would have been lost. Saving Jesus would have been a contrary to THEIR character, which is others-center, self-sacrificial, non-arbitruary, loving, not exacting, not severe! Sparing Jesus's life, would have have sustained Satan's claims. Christ's sacrifice was not forced! It was voluntary, and if was spared from death, you would have died no matter what.

Perhaps you will be shocked again, but I agree that sinners will not be FORCED to die.

However, where we disagree is this: The time of their CHOICE.

The time was during their probation. Once their probation has closed, the result is no longer their CHOICE.

To illustrate, many people die who very much wish to live AFTER having chosen to die. For example, they choose to jump off a bridge. On their way down, they realize how foolish their choice was, but they are no longer in charge. A new law (gravity) propels them to their death, and they die.

Many of the wicked will wish desperately that they had made different choices in the time of their opportunity. Many who are in hell have thought they were serving God their entire lives...but of them God declares "I never knew you, depart from me ye workers of iniquity."

Once probation has closed, God will give each one the results of his or her choice. Some, to everlasting life, and others to everlasting ignominy and death. Hell will not be a happy time. It is only afterward that God wipes away every tear.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #156261
09/17/13 05:10 AM
09/17/13 05:10 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The difference is you see the death of the wicked as execution by God, euthanasia, what ever. You do not see sin as the causative agent in the death of the wicked. I look to Jesus to see what really happens to the wicked in the end. Christ took on our sin, and it killed Him, He died the death of a sinner. He did not die of execution by God.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156264
09/17/13 05:28 AM
09/17/13 05:28 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The difference is you see the death of the wicked as execution by God, euthanasia, what ever. You do not see sin as the causative agent in the death of the wicked. I look to Jesus to see what really happens to the wicked in the end. Christ took on our sin, and it killed Him, He died the death of a sinner. He did not die of execution by God.

How did Jesus suffer God's wrath?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 28 of 104 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!