HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? #156268
09/17/13 01:18 PM
09/17/13 01:18 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
There has been some discussion on this forum in the past about the proper use of Bible commentaries. A few recent posts have highlighted differences of opinion on this question. This topic is begun to examine this question more deeply.

As Adventists consider Mrs. White to have had special light from Heaven on many Bible truths and on issues related to our day, her comments about Bible commentaries seem especially relevant. To start this discussion, I will quote one such comment.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The apostle says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." [2 Timothy 3:16, 17.] The Bible is its own expositor. One passage will prove to be a key that will unlock other passages, and in this way light will be shed upon the hidden meaning of the word. By comparing different texts treating on the same subject, viewing their bearing on every side, the true meaning of the Scriptures will be made evident. {CE 85.1}

Many think that they must consult commentaries on the Scriptures in order to understand the meaning of the word of God, and we would not take the position that commentaries should not be studied; but it will take much discernment to discover the truth of God under the mass of the words of men. How little has been done by the church as a body professing to believe the Bible, to gather up the scattered jewels of God's word into one perfect chain of truth? The jewels of truth do not lie upon the surface, as many suppose. The master mind in the confederacy of evil is ever at work to keep the truth out of sight, and to bring into full view the opinions of great men. The enemy is doing all in his power to obscure heaven's light through educational processes; for he does not mean that men shall hear the voice of the Lord, saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it." [Isaiah 30:21.] {CE 85.2}

Ultimately, our goal is to understand the Bible more, and to understand it correctly.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156270
09/17/13 01:28 PM
09/17/13 01:28 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
There has been some discussion on this forum in the past about the proper use of Bible commentaries. A few recent posts have highlighted differences of opinion on this question. This topic is begun to examine this question more deeply.

As Adventists consider Mrs. White to have had special light from Heaven on many Bible truths and on issues related to our day, her comments about Bible commentaries seem especially relevant. To start this discussion, I will quote one such comment.

The apostle says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." [2 Timothy 3:16, 17.] The Bible is its own expositor. One passage will prove to be a key that will unlock other passages, and in this way light will be shed upon the hidden meaning of the word. By comparing different texts treating on the same subject, viewing their bearing on every side, the true meaning of the Scriptures will be made evident. {CE 85.1}

Many think that they must consult commentaries on the Scriptures in order to understand the meaning of the word of God, and we would not take the position that commentaries should not be studied; but it will take much discernment to discover the truth of God under the mass of the words of men. How little has been done by the church as a body professing to believe the Bible, to gather up the scattered jewels of God's word into one perfect chain of truth? The jewels of truth do not lie upon the surface, as many suppose. The master mind in the confederacy of evil is ever at work to keep the truth out of sight, and to bring into full view the opinions of great men. The enemy is doing all in his power to obscure heaven's light through educational processes; for he does not mean that men shall hear the voice of the Lord, saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it." [Isaiah 30:21.] {CE 85.2}

Ultimately, our goal is to understand the Bible more, and to understand it correctly.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Why does Ellen White then quote Adam Clarke in her Great Controversy?

Did you notice that she does not claim that commentaries should not be studied?

Would you ever post this if the commentator had supported one of your own precious pet peeves?

Last edited by Johann; 09/17/13 01:29 PM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Johann] #156271
09/17/13 01:32 PM
09/17/13 01:32 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Consider that Mrs. White spoke very highly of William Miller and of his study methods. Here she highlights the fact that he "dispensed with" Bible commentaries.

Endeavoring to lay aside all preconceived opinions, and dispensing with commentaries, he compared scripture with scripture by the aid of the marginal references and the concordance. He pursued his study in a regular and methodical manner; beginning with Genesis, and reading verse by verse, he proceeded no faster than the meaning of the several passages so unfolded as to leave him free from all embarrassment. When he found anything obscure, it was his custom to compare it with every other text which seemed to have any reference to the matter under consideration. Every word was permitted to have its proper bearing upon the subject of the text, and if his view of it harmonized with every collateral passage, it ceased to be a difficulty. Thus whenever he met with a passage hard to be understood, he found an explanation in some other portion of the Scriptures. As he studied with earnest prayer for divine enlightenment, that which had before appeared dark to his understanding was made clear. He experienced the truth of the psalmist's words, “The entrance of Thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.” [Psalm 119:130.] {GC88 320.1}

With intense interest he studied the book of Daniel and the Revelation, employing the same principles of interpretation as in the other scriptures, and found, to his great joy, that the prophetic symbols could be understood. He saw that the prophecies, so far as they had been fulfilled, had been fulfilled literally; that all the various figures, metaphors, parables, similitudes, etc., were either explained in their immediate connection, or the terms in which they were expressed were defined in other scriptures; and when thus explained were to be literally understood. “Thus I was satisfied,” he says, “that the Bible was a system of revealed truth so clearly and simply given that the wayfaring man, though a fool, need not err therein.” Link after link of the chain of truth rewarded his efforts, as step by step he traced down the great lines of prophecy. Angels of Heaven were guiding his mind and opening the Scriptures to his understanding. {GC88 320.2}

Angels guided his mind. smile

I would far rather have a holy angel guiding me than a man of any name.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Johann] #156272
09/17/13 01:34 PM
09/17/13 01:34 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
Why does Ellen White then quote Adam Clarke in her Great Controversy?

Did you notice that she does not claim that commentaries should not be studied?

Would you ever post this if the commentator had supported one of your own precious pet peeves?

Why does Ellen White quote anyone? She quotes Josephus, the Bible, D'Aubigne, her husband, and such a multitude of others as would challenge anyone to name them all.

Yes, I did notice that she does not say commentaries should not be studied. She does imply, however, that it will take more discernment to understand truth from the commentary than if one would use the Bible to interpret itself.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156273
09/17/13 01:39 PM
09/17/13 01:39 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
About my own "precious pet peeves," Johann, I have none so precious that I would not be willing to give it up in light of Bible truth that countered it. Nor do I especially regard any Bible commentary.

You may not have noticed this, but I more often quote commentaries here to show their errors than anything else. When have you seen me use commentaries in support of any of my beliefs? I do not mean to suggest it would be inappropriate, I only mean to suggest that I do not find commentaries to be sufficiently reliable that I would want to promote their use in this manner.

I do use Mrs. White's inspired commentaries on Bible topics; freely. I also use concordances and Bible lexicons and dictionaries. So did Miller.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156274
09/17/13 01:51 PM
09/17/13 01:51 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Angels guided his mind. smile

I would far rather have a holy angel guiding me than a man of any name.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Very true, and yet the way and circumstances around your launching of this thread reminds me of a devoted church member I knew quite well. At one time I heard her earnestly plead with the Lord, something like this:

- Lord please make the wrong thing I did right, so I will not have to suffer for it!

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156276
09/17/13 02:06 PM
09/17/13 02:06 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland

Why does Ellen White quote anyone? She quotes Josephus, the Bible, D'Aubigne, her husband, and such a multitude of others as would challenge anyone to name them all.

Yes, I did notice that she does not say commentaries should not be studied. She does imply, however, that it will take more discernment to understand truth from the commentary than if one would use the Bible to interpret itself.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

So what is you darling pet peeve? Why create problems just to have something to solve?

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Johann] #156277
09/17/13 02:39 PM
09/17/13 02:39 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Johann,

Please stay on topic. Your criticisms are unfair and inappropriate. Just because I have chosen to start a separate thread on this topic so that the KJV thread is not carried off-topic does not liberate you to push this thread off-topic as well with a side discussion. This is the last I will address your off-topic comments here, unless I must do so as a moderator.

back

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156293
09/17/13 08:59 PM
09/17/13 08:59 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
It is interesting that this topic comes up when green was presented with a quotation of the SDABC, a commentary that did not exist in EGW's time, and in that quote used her writings to sustain the statement given, to which green objected.

From EGW's quote above, commentaries are not banded. It is true, the jewels of scripture are not on the surface. "The jewels of truth do not lie upon the surface, as many suppose." What is on the surface? Example, God killed Saul. That is on the surface. But what is the real jewel? Some people are more likely to ban digging rather than commentaries.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: APL] #156299
09/18/13 02:35 AM
09/18/13 02:35 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries. You have no proof that I objected to such commentary of which I am aware.

I do, however, reject some people's application of her writings. They must be used in proper context and in proper balance. For example, she says the following about one apparent contradiction in the Scriptures:

How, then, can the gospel be called a message of peace? When Isaiah foretold the birth of the Messiah, he ascribed to Him the title, "Prince of Peace." When angels announced to the shepherds that Christ was born, they sang above the plains of Bethlehem: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." Luke 2:14. There is a seeming contradiction between these prophetic declarations and the words of Christ: "I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34. But, rightly understood, the two are in perfect harmony. The gospel is a message of peace. Christianity is a system which, received and obeyed, would spread peace, harmony, and happiness throughout the earth. The religion of Christ will unite in close brotherhood all who accept its teachings. It was the mission of Jesus to reconcile men to God, and thus to one another. But the world at large are under the control of Satan, Christ's bitterest foe. The gospel presents to them principles of life which are wholly at variance with their habits and desires, and they rise in rebellion against it. They hate the purity which reveals and condemns their sins, and they persecute and destroy those who would urge upon them its just and holy claims. It is in this sense--because the exalted truths it brings occasion hatred and strife--that the gospel is called a sword. {GC 46.3}

If the truth is being presented here, peace may be hard to find. But peace will be the ultimate result when all people everywhere have accepted Christ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!