HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Johann] #156374
09/20/13 02:41 AM
09/20/13 02:41 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: green
You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries.
You have! I presented 3 quotes above which you do not believe. If I quoted "God destroys no man", you will say God destroys. When God's wrath is stated to be His letting go, giving up, you reject that. It is stunning sometimes you reject the most plain and clear statements.

And how is it possible to discuss the use of commentaries in this context?
I gather this thread is infused with the "heat" of debate from another thread.

As long as a person holds an "either/or" position this debate will never be resolved. Why? Because it isn't an "either/or" situation --
The Bible says its sin that destroys God's created people and earth, and it also says God will destroy those who destroy the earth.

Green is NOT ignoring or rejecting EGW when looking at APL's favorite quotes. Of course it is sin that destroys a person's chance for eternal life, God has done everything possible to save but there comes a point where God "let's go" and allows the person his choice. Thus the person has destroyed himself, it wasn't God's will that he/she perish.

But APL's understanding is one sided, it is actually he that is ignoring clear passages that "tell the rest of the story", yet he is trying to force everyone into his one sided view of things to the point where he uses some rather harsh and judgmental methods.

-----------

As to commentaries -- not all commentaries are equal.
Commentaries give insights that can be very good, especially ones that stick to explaining the meanings of words and phrases etc. and direct one to compare other biblical passages. Referencing several different commentaries on Biblical passages can be very helpful.

Some commentaries are more opinions (sermonizing) rather than digging into the text itself -- these I would be very careful with.
Then there are commentaries that are very slanted to preconceived agendas -- so no wonder EGW warned to be careful.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: APL] #156376
09/20/13 03:47 AM
09/20/13 03:47 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: green
You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries.
You have! I presented 3 quotes above which you do not believe. If I quoted "God destroys no man", you will say God destroys. When God's wrath is stated to be His letting go, giving up, you reject that. It is stunning sometimes you reject the most plain and clear statements.

APL,

It is not me Who says God destroys. GOD says this Himself. Who do I then believe? A commentary that misapplies some quotes to support an uninspired position? Or the sacred words of Inspiration which tell me clearly there is another side of the story than simply that which you present?

When Mrs. White says "God destroys no man," what does she mean? Here is where you have failed. You have not properly interpreted. What kind of "destroy" is she talking about?

Let me give you a few examples (of thousands) of her usage of this term.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The watchful Christian ... does not allow affliction to sour his temper or destroy his peace of mind. ... {AA 261.1}

The apostle made no mention of the false teachers who were seeking to destroy the fruit of his labor. ... {AA 303.1}

...Wealth is often an influence to corrupt and destroy; force is strong to do hurt; but truth and goodness are the properties of pure love. {AH 195.3}

God ... watches with anxious interest to see whether the parents will carry out His plan or whether by mistaken kindness they will destroy His purpose, indulging the child to its present and eternal ruin. ... {AH 264.1}

...Satan is determined to destroy with his temptations--to pollute their souls with licentiousness. ... {AH 327.1}

Satan is constantly working through his agents to dishearten and destroy those whom God has chosen to accomplish a great and good work. They may be ready to sacrifice even life itself for the advancement of the cause of Christ, yet the great deceiver will suggest to their brethren doubts concerning them which, if entertained, would undermine confidence in their integrity of character, and thus cripple their usefulness. Too often he succeeds in bringing upon them, through their own brethren, such sorrow of heart that God graciously interposes to give His persecuted servants rest. After the hands are folded upon the pulseless breast, when the voice of warning and encouragement is silent, then the obdurate may be aroused to see and prize the blessings they have cast from them. Their death may accomplish that which their life has failed to do. {AA 418.1}

Does God "destroy" in all of the senses Mrs. White used above? No. There are some forms of destruction that God will never, ever use. This includes destroying us morally, as Satan does through his temptations. God will NEVER destroy us in this manner. God destroys no man's character or will. This is what Mrs. White means in her statement about God not destroying any man.

That Mrs. White does NOT refer to the destruction of the wicked by God after their probation has closed is plainly evident in other passages, and it is those passages you reject, while vainly seeking to cast me in the light of rejecting that which I fully accept.

When you say I do not accept those passages of Mrs. White which say God will not destroy, you speak deceitfully. You appear to have an agenda against these truths, and it is partially fulfilled in maligning my motives and views. However, the scriptures and Mrs. White continue to pour forth truths which others reading here will see and understand.

God is love. But His love is not so weak that it will permit sin to continue forever. He is not like a doting mother who can never bring herself to rebuke her children. God's love is pure, just, strong and true. Although many would like to flatter themselves that He will never punish their misdeeds, the day of God will forever settle this question.

With the immense tide of printed matter constantly pouring from the press, old and young form the habit of reading hastily and superficially, and the mind loses its power of connected and vigorous thought. Furthermore, a large share of the periodicals and books that, like the frogs of Egypt, are overspreading the land are not merely commonplace, idle, and enervating, but unclean and degrading. Their effect is not merely to intoxicate and ruin the mind, but to corrupt and destroy the soul. {AH 415.1}

God will never corrupt and destroy the inward man. This form of destruction is entirely brought upon oneself. But that God will exercise judgment in destroying sin and sinner alike in the final acts of the Great Controversy is unquestionably certain.

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.” {ApM 29.1}

...They that minister must be holy, pure, and without blemish, or God will destroy them. God has not changed. He is just as holy and pure, just as particular, as He ever was. Those who profess to be the ministers of Jesus should be men of experience and deep piety, and then at all times and in all places they can shed a holy influence. {EW 102.2}

Ellen White quotes the Bible's words saying that God will destroy, and she also says that God will destroy the ministers who are not holy, pure and without blemish--saying "God has not changed." How is this so? It appears to me that some of the "ministers" in our church today are concerned about this statement, and look for solace in a reinterpretation of the truth. But in reality, they should be as pure and faithful as were the Vaudois pastors, teaching the people to be faithful unto death, and that God makes a record of each one's actions.

Then Satan leads another class who are fearful and timid to commit sin; and after they have sinned, he holds up before them that the wages of sin is (not death, but) an eternal life in horrible torments, to be endured through the endless ages of eternity. Satan improves the opportunity, and magnifies before their feeble minds the horrors of an endless hell, and takes charge of their minds, and they lose their reason. Then Satan and his angels exult, and the infidel and atheist join in casting reproach upon christianity. They regard these evil consequences of the reception of popular heresy, as the natural results of believing in the Bible and its Author. {1SG 116.2}

I saw that the heavenly host was filled with indignation at this bold work of Satan. I inquired why all these delusions should be suffered to take effect upon the minds of men, when the angels of God were powerful, and if commissioned, could easily break the enemy's power. Then I saw that God knew that Satan would try every art to destroy man; therefore he had caused his Word to be written out, and had made his designs to man so plain that the weakest need not err. Then, after he had given his Word to man, he had carefully preserved it, so that Satan and his angels, through any agent or representative, could not destroy it. While other books might be destroyed, this holy Book was to be immortal. And down near the close of time, when the delusions of Satan should increase, the copies of this Book were to be so multiplied, that all who desired it might have a copy of God's revealed will to man, and, if they would, might arm themselves against the deceptions and lying wonders of Satan. {1SG 116.3}

How does Satan "destroy" in the above passage? With error. He destroys men's souls through lies and delusions that make them err. Does God destroy in this manner? Of course not! It would be unthinkable for God to destroy men's souls with error or delusion to cause them to err. He only "gives them up" to their errors when they choose to go against His truths of their own free will. He does not force them to accept His truth or His will. They are free to choose their own destinies.

But the final judgment gives men the fruit of their own choices.

As lightnings from heaven unite with the fire in the earth, the mountains will burn like a furnace, and will pour forth terrific streams of lava, overwhelming gardens and fields, villages and cities. Seething molten masses thrown into the rivers will cause the waters to boil, sending forth massive rocks with indescribable violence and scattering their broken fragments upon the land. Rivers will be dried up. The earth will be convulsed; everywhere there will be dreadful earthquakes and eruptions. {PP 110.2}

Thus God will destroy the wicked from off the earth. But the righteous will be preserved in the midst of these commotions, as Noah was preserved in the ark. God will be their refuge, and under His wings shall they trust. Says the psalmist: "Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the Most High, thy habitation; there shall no evil befall thee." Psalm 91:9, 10. "In the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion: in the secret of His tabernacle shall He hide me." Psalm 27:5. God's promise is, "Because he hath set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known My name." Psalm 91:14. {PP 110.3}

How will God destroy? According to Ellen White, He will destroy via such heat that the rocks and rivers will boil, and the mountains will be as a furnace. This will incinerate all sin and sinners with it, sterilizing the universe once and for all from the wickedness and stain of sin.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156377
09/20/13 03:52 AM
09/20/13 03:52 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Now, if the commentaries have led you astray, APL and Johann, let me here urge you to give them up and to study the scriptures on this and every issue for yourself.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156397
09/20/13 05:08 PM
09/20/13 05:08 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Now, if the commentaries have led you astray, APL and Johann, let me here urge you to give them up and to study the scriptures on this and every issue for yourself.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
And I would recommend you understand what the "wrath of the LAMB" really is from scripture. Read the Gospels. See show God treats sinners. See how sinners will die. See how God is involved. Give up Satan's picture of God.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156412
09/21/13 10:32 AM
09/21/13 10:32 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:

Of course.

Anything human can lead one astray.

Let us keep in mind that any time either Green or I make a comment on Scripture we are both human and acting as a commentary. So, it is possible that Green and I can be leading one astray and therefore should be rejected.

Let us keep this in mind as we read the human commentaries posted in this forum that tell us that the modern versions of the Bible are corrupt and should be rejected.

smile smile smile

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: APL] #156413
09/21/13 01:48 PM
09/21/13 01:48 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
And I would recommend you understand what the "wrath of the LAMB" really is from scripture. Read the Gospels. See show God treats sinners. See how sinners will die. See how God is involved. Give up Satan's picture of God.

Amen! Yes, Green, give up your evil ways and give your heart to the living God. He loves you.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Johann] #156419
09/21/13 04:24 PM
09/21/13 04:24 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Amen! Yes, Green, give up your evil ways and give your heart to the living God. He loves you.

Why single out one -- shouldn't we all realize we have problems and submit them to God for His healing power to cleanse?
I don't think anyone here agrees with anyone 100% or even 75% or even less than that -- we all need to seek the Lord with humble hearts. We are only "saints" by the grace of God, not because we have arrived to complete perfection in our thinking and relationships.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: dedication] #156424
09/21/13 10:09 PM
09/21/13 10:09 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: dedication

Why single out one -- shouldn't we all realize we have problems and submit them to God for His healing power to cleanse?
I don't think anyone here agrees with anyone 100% or even 75% or even less than that -- we all need to seek the Lord with humble hearts. We are only "saints" by the grace of God, not because we have arrived to complete perfection in our thinking and relationships.

We are a few rascals around - still!

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156611
09/25/13 04:56 PM
09/25/13 04:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Does this mean you are not writing a commentary or you are making the comment that your commentary will not lead any astray since you are doing it?

Quote:
Does God "destroy" in all of the senses Mrs. White used above? No. There are some forms of destruction that God will never, ever use. This includes destroying us morally, as Satan does through his temptations. God will NEVER destroy us in this manner. God destroys no man's character or will. This is what Mrs. White means in her statement about God not destroying any man.
Could you give evidence that is what she meant in that passage?

Quote:
God is love. But...
Seems like I've seen that somewhere before. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!