HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156306
09/18/13 03:03 AM
09/18/13 03:03 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Another of Mrs. White's views on commentaries is presented in the following.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The opinions of men in regard to the interpretation of Scripture are many and varied; but the Scriptures are not changed to suit men's ideas. The blessed Book is yea and amen; it remains firm, eternal. The commentaries of men do not all agree, but the great and blessed facts remain the same. God's Word is immutable; "it is written." {2SM 82.4}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156309
09/18/13 03:56 AM
09/18/13 03:56 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
In the same section, EGW may be talking to you?
Originally Posted By: EGW
You say, "The Bible is my foundation of faith." But is it? I answer, The Bible does not sustain your position. Again you say, "Show me by the Bible that I am wrong, and I will give up my views." But how can you be convinced by the Bible as long as you wrest and misapply its utterances? By so doing you cut off the only source by which God might reach and convict you.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: APL] #156310
09/18/13 04:12 AM
09/18/13 04:12 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
In the same section, EGW may be talking to you?
You say, "The Bible is my foundation of faith." But is it? I answer, The Bible does not sustain your position. Again you say, "Show me by the Bible that I am wrong, and I will give up my views." But how can you be convinced by the Bible as long as you wrest and misapply its utterances? By so doing you cut off the only source by which God might reach and convict you.

Indeed, that speaks to all of us. I choose to listen to my Bible. When the Bible tells me something, I don't try to say otherwise as some here say.

Many people here interpret the Bible through their own rose-colored glasses of their own opinions. It is human nature. We all tend to see what we want to see. But we need to allow God to help us see the truth regardless of whether or not it appeals to us.

For example, when God says He will do something, who are we to say otherwise?

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}
Who will say God will not do what He says He will do?--12MR 207-209; 10MR 265 (1876). {LDE 241.3}

Coming Delayed to Allow a Larger Span for Repentance--Who will say God will not do what He says He will do? "Let God be true, but every man a liar" (Romans 3:4). The Lord is coming in flaming fire to take vengeance on those sinners who know not God and obey not His gospel. And because, in His infinite mercy, He delays His coming to give the world a larger span for repentance, sinners flatter themselves [that] He will never come. {10MR 265.2}

Do those statements talk to you?

I choose to take God at His Word. He says He will punish, then I believe He will. He says He has wrath; then I believe He does. It is not misapplying when Mrs. White confirms these views and asks why we should say otherwise. Yet hundreds, even thousands of posts on this forum exist because many resist these truths and do not accept the Bible.

In an interesting turn of events, they have commentaries to support their position and have then accused me of not accepting the supposed "truths" of those commentaries, maligning my motives for starting this very thread.

Yet Mrs. White put commentaries in their proper place--she does not elevate, nor promote them. She places them in the same category as that of the ordinary opinions of men. I believe her teaching on this point. Do you?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156311
09/18/13 04:22 AM
09/18/13 04:22 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Put ALL of EGW quotes together, God punishes, but HOW? When you put them all together, the answer is clear. WHY do you ignore the clear quotes on the topic of God's wrath and punishment?
We are not to regard God as waiting to punish the sinner for his sin. The sinner brings the punishment upon himself. His own actions start a train of circumstances that bring the sure result. Every act of transgression reacts upon the sinner, works in him a change of character, and makes it more easy for him to transgress again. By choosing to sin, men separate themselves from God, cut themselves off from the channel of blessing, and the sure result is ruin and death. {1SM 235.2}

I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}
And this one!!!
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}
God's methods are clear. The punishment is caused by sin, not God, sustaining what the Bible says of God's wrath in Romans 1 and many other places.

Last edited by APL; 09/18/13 04:24 AM.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: APL] #156317
09/18/13 04:39 AM
09/18/13 04:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Let us take the rest of this discussion back to your favorite threads. Here, let us continue the discussion on commentaries. Again, I agree with Ellen White. Her statements above are true and well stated. It is you who ignore the statements that do not favor your opinion. Whereas I am able, from the Bible and Mrs. White, to offer explanation for the statements you bring, you are not able to explain the ones that I have provided. You have reverted to commentaries that appear to support your position, but you have used uninspired commentary. I have consistently based my views here upon the more sure words of prophecy. In them, there is truth abundant such that none need err.

Again, lets get...back

Thank you,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156318
09/18/13 04:47 AM
09/18/13 04:47 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Such is the commentary of men...

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156325
09/18/13 02:19 PM
09/18/13 02:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries. You have no proof that I objected to such commentary of which I am aware.

I do, however, reject some people's application of her writings. They must be used in proper context and in proper balance.
That could be from the School of Elle.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: kland] #156347
09/19/13 02:53 AM
09/19/13 02:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries. You have no proof that I objected to such commentary of which I am aware.

I do, however, reject some people's application of her writings. They must be used in proper context and in proper balance.
That could be from the School of Elle.

kland,

I hope you are right. I would love for Elle to accept all of Mrs. White's writings.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: Green Cochoa] #156348
09/19/13 03:26 AM
09/19/13 03:26 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries.
You have! I presented 3 quotes above which you do not believe. If I quoted "God destroys no man", you will say God destroys. When God's wrath is stated to be His letting go, giving up, you reject that. It is stunning sometimes you reject the most plain and clear statements.

Last edited by APL; 09/19/13 03:36 AM.

Re: Bible Commentaries: Should We Use Them? [Re: APL] #156352
09/19/13 09:46 AM
09/19/13 09:46 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: green
You misrepresent my view. I will never reject Mrs. White's commentaries.
You have! I presented 3 quotes above which you do not believe. If I quoted "God destroys no man", you will say God destroys. When God's wrath is stated to be His letting go, giving up, you reject that. It is stunning sometimes you reject the most plain and clear statements.

And how is it possible to discuss the use of commentaries in this context?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!