HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 26 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26
Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: kland] #158339
11/15/13 03:53 PM
11/15/13 03:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: kland
So this would mean that with the same act, one would not know if evil caused it or if Jesus caused it. But that it doesn't really matter, because Jesus intended it to happen.

So in light of that, you would say that when typhoons kill, maim, and destroy the lives of thousands of people, one should not let it bother them. Jesus intended it, Jesus caused it, or He caused evil angels to cause it, and the result is as He intentionally intended. One should not have any sympathy or give aid to such suffering ones as that would be refuting Jesus' plans and intent. Therefore, one should take a non-nonchalant attitude and say, guess they must have had it comin' to 'em. Or they are being used as an example. I'm sure not going to help them, because if I refute and make null His plans, I could be "punished" for that. Best to forget and get on with my life and hope He doesn't do anything like that to me. But, I best not "hope", for that would be questioning Him and I might be punished for that.

How could you not come to that conclusion?

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Kland,

1. Do you believe Jesus is in control?
2. Do you think things happen without His permission?
3. Do you think evil angels are free to wreak havoc however they please?

I need to know your answer to these questions. Then I'll address your comments and questions.

Thank you.
Jesus is in control, but He doesn't cause disease, death, and destruction.

Jesus permits some things to happen, but permitting is not the same thing as intending, planning, causing, or wanting them to happen.

Evil angels are not free to wreak havoc however they please. Consider Job. However, Jesus doesn't direct them, intend for them to wreck havoc, nor wants them to. They are not doing His will or bidding. Good is not in cahoots with evil.

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: kland] #158341
11/15/13 04:09 PM
11/15/13 04:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, although I am disappointed your are unwilling to address the points in a succinct, summary manner I accept your decision.

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: kland] #158343
11/15/13 04:23 PM
11/15/13 04:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say Jesus commanded Moses not to execute capital punishment or to wage war?

K: Where in the Bible does it say Jesus commanded Moses not to allow divorce?

Please answer my question first. I will be happy to answer yours afterward.

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: Mountain Man] #158345
11/15/13 04:53 PM
11/15/13 04:53 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
MM - Address reply which covers a number of the points to have asked. You have not responded to the points I've made. Why?

I have been pleading with you to address my points before you posted the above. I feel like you are unwilling to do so. I have no problem with that. But it doesn't seem fair.
I've done a little searching here on the forums. Before I joined in, these same questions have been raised! Several have given good answers. Yet, you don't seem to have changed a bit in your view. Is there any more point in adding a repeat of that which you have rejected?

I think I see the problem. Green, asygo, MM, all view scripture as equal. You all view that the OT is a correct, clear representation of God. That Jesus's 33 years of life adds little to our understanding of the God. EGW however says differently. She writes, "The great object that brought Christ to the earth was to reveal the Father." If the Father had been clearly revealed, why did Jesus need to come to correctly reveal the Him? The Father is exactly like the man Jesus Christ revealed Him to be, Hebrews 1. Jesus warned us that if we reject the picture of God that He came to reveal, then we reject God, John 5. EGW writes, "Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son!" {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 8} And she is speaking about His life on earth. She writes, "The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes." This was the work of Christ as a man on this planet. She finishes this article with this: "When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men." {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 9}

Therefore, if we reject the picture of God as the man Christ Jesus revealed God, we are rejecting God. "Amazed at his dullness of comprehension, Christ asked with pained surprise, "Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known Me, Philip?" Is it possible that you do not see the Father in the works He does through Me? Do you not believe that I came to testify of the Father? "How sayest thou then, Show us the Father?" "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father." Christ had not ceased to be God when He became man. Though He had humbled Himself to humanity, the Godhead was still His own. Christ alone could represent the Father to humanity, and this representation the disciples had been privileged to behold for over three years." {DA 663.5}

EGW: Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity, and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He who had been in the presence of the Father from the beginning, He who was the express image of the invisible God, was alone able to reveal the character of the Deity to mankind. ... Tender, compassionate, sympathetic, ever considerate of others, He represented the character of God, and was constantly engaged in service for God and man. Isaiah 61:1, A.R.V., margin; Luke 4:18; Isaiah 61:2, A.R.V. Quoted {MH 422.2}

"Love your enemies," He bids us; "bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven;" "for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." "He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." Matthew 5:44, 45; Luke 6:35; Matthew 5:45; Luke 6:36. ... Luke 1:78, 79. {MH 423.1}

"Ye also have seen me, and believe not" (John 6:36)

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: Mountain Man] #158348
11/15/13 08:30 PM
11/15/13 08:30 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
M: Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say Jesus commanded Moses not to execute capital punishment or to wage war?

Please answer my question first. I will be happy to answer yours afterward.
Could the answers to both questions be the same?

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: kland] #158351
11/15/13 09:47 PM
11/15/13 09:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Do you believe Jesus is in control?

K: Jesus is in control, but He doesn't cause disease, death, and destruction.

2. Do you think things happen without His permission?

K: Jesus permits some things to happen, but permitting is not the same thing as intending, planning, causing, or wanting them to happen.

3. Do you think evil angels are free to wreak havoc however they please?

K: Evil angels are not free to wreak havoc however they please. Consider Job. However, Jesus doesn't direct them, intend for them to wreck havoc, nor wants them to. They are not doing His will or bidding. Good is not in cahoots with evil.

1. In what sense is Jesus in control?
2. Why does Jesus permit "some" things to happen? Also, please cite things that happened that Jesus didn't permit.
3. In what sense does Jesus "use His enemies as instruments to punish" sinners?

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: kland] #158352
11/15/13 09:49 PM
11/15/13 09:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: Please answer my question first. I will be happy to answer yours afterward.

K: Could the answers to both questions be the same?

Are you unwilling to answer my question? If so, no problem.

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: kland] #158353
11/15/13 10:16 PM
11/15/13 10:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. So this would mean that with the same act, one would not know if evil caused it or if Jesus caused it.

2. But that it doesn't really matter, because Jesus intended it to happen.

3. So in light of that, you would say that when typhoons kill, maim, and destroy the lives of thousands of people, one should not let it bother them.

4. Jesus intended it, Jesus caused it, or He caused evil angels to cause it, and the result is as He intentionally intended.

5. One should not have any sympathy or give aid to such suffering ones as that would be refuting Jesus' plans and intent. Therefore, one should take a non-nonchalant attitude and say, guess they must have had it comin' to 'em. Or they are being used as an example. I'm sure not going to help them, because if I refute and make null His plans, I could be "punished" for that. Best to forget and get on with my life and hope He doesn't do anything like that to me. But, I best not "hope", for that would be questioning Him and I might be punished for that. How could you not come to that conclusion?

I promised to address these points after you answered my questions. You upheld your end of the deal. Thank you. Now I will uphold mine. I've added numbers to your original post to make it easier to respond to:

1. Unless Jesus tells us personally, we cannot be certain whether He caused it, commanded it, or permitted it. But we can know with absolute certainty He could have prevented it, but for reasons that make sense to Jesus He allowed it.

2. Jesus works to ensure everything plays out according to His plan and purpose. Nothing happens without His involvement.

3. Understanding that Jesus is on control does not prevent us from feeling sad. Jesus laid down His own life on the cross, for which I am very thankful; however, it does not stop me from feeling sad.

4. Things play out accordingly to His plan and purpose.

5. It depends on the situation. Jesus is honored and glorified when Christians rally in support of people hit by war or natural disasters. That is part of His plan and purpose (among many other desired outcomes). In cases where Jesus commanded capital punishment or genocide, He did not expect the Jews to provide relief.

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: APL] #158354
11/15/13 10:29 PM
11/15/13 10:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: APL
I've done a little searching here on the forums. Before I joined in, these same questions have been raised! Several have given good answers. Yet, you don't seem to have changed a bit in your view. Is there any more point in adding a repeat of that which you have rejected?

No one has clearly, concisely, succinctly addressed the points I listed. It appears you are unwilling, too.

Quote:
I think I see the problem. Green, asygo, MM, all view scripture as equal. You all view that the OT is a correct, clear representation of God. That Jesus's 33 years of life adds little to our understanding of the God.

You are grossly mistaken.

Quote:
EGW however says differently. She writes, "The great object that brought Christ to the earth was to reveal the Father." If the Father had been clearly revealed, why did Jesus need to come to correctly reveal the Him? The Father is exactly like the man Jesus Christ revealed Him to be, Hebrews 1. Jesus warned us that if we reject the picture of God that He came to reveal, then we reject God, John 5. EGW writes, "Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son!" {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 8} And she is speaking about His life on earth. She writes, "The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes." This was the work of Christ as a man on this planet. She finishes this article with this: "When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men." {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 9}

Therefore, if we reject the picture of God as the man Christ Jesus revealed God, we are rejecting God. "Amazed at his dullness of comprehension, Christ asked with pained surprise, "Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known Me, Philip?" Is it possible that you do not see the Father in the works He does through Me? Do you not believe that I came to testify of the Father? "How sayest thou then, Show us the Father?" "He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father." Christ had not ceased to be God when He became man. Though He had humbled Himself to humanity, the Godhead was still His own. Christ alone could represent the Father to humanity, and this representation the disciples had been privileged to behold for over three years." {DA 663.5}

EGW: Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity, and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He who had been in the presence of the Father from the beginning, He who was the express image of the invisible God, was alone able to reveal the character of the Deity to mankind. ... Tender, compassionate, sympathetic, ever considerate of others, He represented the character of God, and was constantly engaged in service for God and man. Isaiah 61:1, A.R.V., margin; Luke 4:18; Isaiah 61:2, A.R.V. Quoted {MH 422.2}

"Love your enemies," He bids us; "bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven;" "for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." "He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." Matthew 5:44, 45; Luke 6:35; Matthew 5:45; Luke 6:36. ... Luke 1:78, 79. {MH 423.1}

"Ye also have seen me, and believe not" (John 6:36)

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

We are talking about two different dispensations. The character of the Godhead, as revealed through Jesus' teachings and interactions with men and angels in the OT and the NT, is unchanging. In the OT Jesus was working through the nation of Israel to demonstrate truth, love, mercy, and justice; and in the NT Jesus was (and still is) working through the church to demonstrate the same attributes. Accordingly, the rules of engagement are different.

Re: Are Extreme Weather Events a Sign of . . . . ? [Re: Mountain Man] #158357
11/15/13 11:26 PM
11/15/13 11:26 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I don't think I am grossly mistaken. asygo and Green have stated that we learn little of God's character from Jesus's life as a man. The NT states that Jesus is THE true revelation of God. God is the same yesterday, today and forever. The promises to Abraham is the same promise that we live under today! Abraham was as much a Christian as any true Christian today.

I have made comments on your list, but you still ignore them. Why?

Reading past history, you did the same thing to "Tom" going back a number of years. John 5 is very telling.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Page 9 of 26 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!