HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Green Cochoa] #158853
11/29/13 02:14 PM
11/29/13 02:14 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
You are not getting your definition from Mrs. White. She does not say what you interpret.

GREEN - I quoted other authors. It is not ME saying these things. Did you read the opening post?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Green Cochoa] #158860
11/29/13 04:55 PM
11/29/13 04:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I agree with you. Jesus did not crave or clamor to sin. Nor did He sin. However, His sinful flesh nature did crave and clamor for sinful expression. It tempted Him from within to sin in the same way it tempts born-again believers to sin. No one incurs guilt, corruption, or contamination because their sinful flesh nature clamors for sinful expression (i.e., tempts them to sin).

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Mountain Man] #158884
11/30/13 02:20 PM
11/30/13 02:20 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Mike,

I've been a bit unsure for years regarding your interpretation here, and I'm still unsure. I would agree, mostly, with your statement above, but it is insufficiently clear to satisfy me, for it leaves open some possibilities that would be incorrect.

I'll use an example or two to illustrate:

1) Appetite: We know Jesus was tempted to eat bread during His fast. But the sin would not have been in the eating, but rather in the eating it to prove His identity. In other words, the temptation was really about proving Himself. It is no sin to eat bread. Was He tempted to eat it on account of His hunger? Certainly. But His hunger was not even close to a sinful propensity. It is a normal, non-sinful, bodily need.

However, I might be tempted to eat donuts and ice cream when I'm tired and on the verge of getting sick already. Jesus was never even tempted to do such a thing. He did not want to sin, which includes doing anything that will be damaging to health and longevity.

2) Other physical weakness: Jesus was tempted not to go through with the sacrifice on the cross. He pleaded with the Father to remove the cup from Him, if possible. Again, it was no sin to desire life, in place of death. The sin would have been in the fact that He had promised us that He would do this on our behalf, and to not go through with it would have turned those promises into lies. The sort of death He was to face was not an easy one, and He knew that. But He went through with His selfless act of love, in spite of the desires of His flesh to avoid death.

I, on the other hand, might be tempted to betray someone else in the hopes of sparing my own life. Quite a different sort of temptation it would be for me than it was for Him. Jesus would never have been tempted to betray a friend of His. He would have loved His friends too dearly to even think of such a thing.

I hope those examples show what I'm trying to say. Basically, Jesus was tempted "in all points," but not in all of the same ways or for all of the same reasons. Obviously, Jesus could not have been tempted to divorce His wife without a cause and marry another if He never had a wife. But He was most certainly brought into places where the devil tempted Him to be selfish. He just never caved. He was never selfish, and never wanted to be selfish.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Green Cochoa] #158893
11/30/13 04:15 PM
11/30/13 04:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, I agree Jesus never wanted to sin. He suffered when tempted because the thought of sinning was repulsive to Him. Equally repugnant to Him was the fact He inhabited a human body whose sinful flesh nature craved and clamored for sinful expression, that is, it tempted Him from within to indulge His innocent and legitimate needs (appetites, passions, drink, food, rest, happiness, companionship, etc) in sinful ways. Sinful flesh nature, as you know, cannot actually commit a sin - it can only tempt us to sin. It is not a sin to be tempted.

To say Jesus was never tempted to satisfy His human needs in sinful ways is to say He was not tempted in every way we are tempted. This would give Satan an advantage. "If Christ had a special power which it is not the privilege of man to have, Satan would have made capital of this matter. . . . When we give to His human nature a power that it is not possible for man to have in his conflicts with Satan, we destroy the completeness of His humanity." (3SM 139)

If Jesus' sinful flesh nature never tempted Him from within to satisfy His innocent and legitimate needs in sinful ways (remember, it is not a sin to be tempted) it would have given Him an advantage not available to us. However, Jesus became like us so we can be like Him. He was tempted in every way we are tempted thereby proving born-again believers are safe to save. "Jesus revealed no qualities, and exercised no powers, that men may not have through faith in Him. His perfect humanity is that which all His followers may possess, if they will be in subjection to God as He was." (DA 664)

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: APL] #158904
11/30/13 09:33 PM
11/30/13 09:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I think you did not read the opening post in it entirety. "evil propensity" is sin acted upon. Evil tendencies are do not need to be acted upon. This is what Weiland said, quoting from the OP:

In Ellen White’s own context, her use of the term “propensities of sin” means a yielding to temptation, a harboring of an evil purpose, that would be the compulsive result of a previous involvement in an act, word, or thought of sin. She did not teach that we incur guilt genetically.

It so happens that, in the same paragraph, Ellen White says that Adam's "posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience." So "propensities" is something you are born with.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Rosangela] #158912
12/01/13 01:10 AM
12/01/13 01:10 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
I think you did not read the opening post in it entirety. "evil propensity" is sin acted upon. Evil tendencies are do not need to be acted upon. This is what Weiland said, quoting from the OP:

In Ellen White’s own context, her use of the term “propensities of sin” means a yielding to temptation, a harboring of an evil purpose, that would be the compulsive result of a previous involvement in an act, word, or thought of sin. She did not teach that we incur guilt genetically.

It so happens that, in the same paragraph, Ellen White says that Adam's "posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience." So "propensities" is something you are born with.
We are!

What did Christ have to overcome? Peer pressure?

All the Adventist pioneers believe that Christ came in sinful flesh. Your pre-fall condition of Christ came about in the 1950s. Romans 8:3-4 AKJV For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: APL] #158918
12/01/13 06:26 AM
12/01/13 06:26 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Rosangela - EGW wrote to Baker about his error. She was a prolific writer. After the 1888 general conference meeting, she travelled and worked with Waggoner and Jones. They wrote the things you call error. They repeated them many times! Please if you can, show me where she took these men to task for this blatant error. She certainly would not have left this out right error go on without stern instruction. That is, unless it was not in error and she her self agreed.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: APL] #158921
12/01/13 07:07 AM
12/01/13 07:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Mrs. White did not set herself to correct every error. You are greatly mistaken. She often spoke of the principles of the matter, leaving God's people to use their own judgment and discernment to make wise choices regarding belief and action.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Green Cochoa] #158931
12/01/13 04:00 PM
12/01/13 04:00 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

Mrs. White did not set herself to correct every error. You are greatly mistaken. She often spoke of the principles of the matter, leaving God's people to use their own judgment and discernment to make wise choices regarding belief and action.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
You are right. Taught by so many in her day and they wrote so much on it, but such a minor doctrine there was no need to set the record straight.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: APL] #158933
12/01/13 07:21 PM
12/01/13 07:21 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

We are!

Assuming that you and Wieland and Walper and EGW are all "on the same page," you four believe that all of us are born with inherent "sin acted upon" and have participated in "yielding to temptation" and "harboring of an evil purpose, that would be the compulsive result of a previous involvement in an act, word, or thought of sin" even before leaving the womb. Really? Fetuses commit acts of sin? That is a strange page to be on. I doubt EGW was there with you and the others.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!