HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Mountain Man] #159990
01/04/14 09:18 PM
01/04/14 09:18 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
How exactly then do we "partake of the Divine nature"?

It is supernatural. "No man [can] explain it, because it is supernatural, but the new birth shows practical results. {ST, November 30, 1891 par. 1}

Through the plan of salvation, power was to operate in the re-creation of man. The remedy for the sinner was of a supernatural character. {ST, July 2, 1896 par. 4}

Men's weakness shall find supernatural strength and help in every stern conflict to do the deeds of Omnipotence, and perseverance in faith and perfect trust in God will ensure success. {CC 118.4}

Our condition through sin has become preternatural, and the power that restores us must be supernatural, else it has no value. {CCh 322.8}

This work is carried forward by a firm, divine, supernatural agency. {TSA 32.4}

When the soul surrenders itself to Christ, a new power takes possession of the new heart. A change is wrought which man can never accomplish for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into human nature. {DA 324.1}

Without the grace of Christ, the sinner is in a hopeless condition; nothing can be done for him; but through divine grace, supernatural power is imparted to the man and works in mind and heart and character. {FW 100.3}

Christ promised that the Holy Spirit should abide with those who wrestle for victory over sin, to demonstrate the power of divine might by endowing the human agent with supernatural strength and instructing the ignorant in the mysteries of the kingdom of God. {AG 212.5}

Through His merits and imparted power they will be "more than conquerors." Supernatural help will be given them, enabling them in their weakness to do the deeds of omnipotence. {HP 252.4}

The Holy Spirit was promised to be with those who were wrestling for victory, in demonstration of all mightiness, endowing the human agent with supernatural powers and instructing the ignorant in the mysteries of the kingdom of God. {ML 48.4}

He charges them not to enter into the battle without counting the cost, while He assures them that they do not fight alone, but that supernatural agencies will enable the weak, if they trust in Him, to become strong against the vast confederacy of evil arrayed against them. {UL 82.4}

The Lord has a people on the earth, and his working with them reveals the supernatural results that are seen when the human will is under the control of the will of God. {RH, July 31, 1900 par. 7}

A new power takes possession of the new heart. Man can never work out this change for himself. It is a supernatural work, bringing a supernatural element into weak and wicked human nature. {1888 1319.1}

SDA are silly. They eat beef, wipe their mouth and say, "We are vegetarians. That cow ate only grass." They walk at noon with candle in hand, gravely pointing to its light. They have forsaken the word of God for mountains and mountains of text.

About "partaking of the Divine nature": Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." (John 6:53-56) Later he explains himself saying, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. THE WORDS that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you who do not believe." (V.63-64)

Therefore, according to Jesus Christ himself, "partaking of the Diving nature" is to believe in him, to do as he says, and to act like him. As a child imitates his parent and knows nothing except what his parent says because he abides (lives) in his parent's house, so we also, by learning what is written in the Bible, endeavouring to live accordingly and seeking the company of fellow Christians, become daily more and more like sons of the Living God. See, even the psalmist declares, "YOUR WORD I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You." (Psalm 119:11)

But if we run after that which does not profit, we shall surely die, not knowing at all what the Master of the House has said on any particular issue, but continually shouting, "Mystery! Mystery! And no one can understand it!"

////

Last edited by James Peterson; 01/04/14 09:56 PM.
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: James Peterson] #160002
01/05/14 01:45 AM
01/05/14 01:45 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
quote=James Peterson SDA are silly. They eat beef, wipe their mouth and say, "We are vegetarians. That cow ate only grass."
-----

D replies: Of course that is being silly, real vegetarians do not eat beef or anything that was born or hatched.
-----

JP: They walk at noon with candle in hand, gravely pointing to its light. They have forsaken the word of God for mountains and mountains of text.
-----

D replies: Are you sure you three fingers aren't pointing back at yourself as you point at others?
-----

JP writes: About "partaking of the Divine nature": Jesus said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." (John 6:53-56) Later he explains himself saying, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. THE WORDS that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you who do not believe." (V.63-64)
-----

D replies: I can agree with the above statement.
-----

JP writes: Therefore, according to Jesus Christ himself, "partaking of the Diving nature" is to believe in him, to do as he says, and to act like him. As a child imitates his parent and knows nothing except what his parent says because he abides (lives) in his parent's house, so we also, by learning what is written in the Bible, endeavouring to live accordingly and seeking the company of fellow Christians, become daily more and more like sons of the Living God. See, even the psalmist declares, "YOUR WORD I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You." (Psalm 119:11)
-----

D replies: But you have now left out the most important ingredient.
Without that ingredient you end up switching the whole thing into self works --
Believe, imitate, search scriptures, live as they say, fellowship with others.
All important in their own right BUT they are not the keys.
All our imitating and trying to live right falls far short if one leaves out the most important ingredient, and that is what MM was trying to share.

"Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord." Zech 4:6
Romans 7 and 8 says it well, even though we want to live according to God's law, we fail, because sin reigns in our flesh, who can save us from this body of death? Ah-- the Holy Spirit!
A power beyond ourselves changes us from within.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

It is as we humble ourselves in prayer asking the Holy Spirit to guide us that the Bible comes "alive" as the "Word of God" to change our hearts and minds.

We need the Divine Presence -- only then can we partake of any Divine Nature.

-----

JP wrote: But if we run after that which does not profit, we shall surely die, not knowing at all what the Master of the House has said on any particular issue, but continually shouting, "Mystery! Mystery! And no one can understand it!"
----

D replies: If we do not reach out for Divine presence, praying for the Holy Spirit (even though we do not really understand everything about Him) then we will surely die, for we need the Divine Presence to live out and comprehend the spiritual realities of God's Word.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: dedication] #160013
01/05/14 11:55 AM
01/05/14 11:55 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
You have now left out the most important ingredient.
Without that ingredient you end up switching the whole thing into self works --
Believe, imitate, search scriptures, live as they say, fellowship with others.
All important in their own right BUT they are not the keys.
All our imitating and trying to live right falls far short if one leaves out the most important ingredient, and that is what MM was trying to share.

"Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord." Zech 4:6
Romans 7 and 8 says it well, even though we want to live according to God's law, we fail, because sin reigns in our flesh, who can save us from this body of death? Ah-- the Holy Spirit!
A power beyond ourselves changes us from within.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

It is as we humble ourselves in prayer asking the Holy Spirit to guide us that the Bible comes "alive" as the "Word of God" to change our hearts and minds.

We need the Divine Presence -- only then can we partake of any Divine Nature.

You are like a murderer who, caught red-handed, pleads insanity, crying in defense, "The devil in me did it. I can't be held responsible. And if you sentence me to death, you will be guilty of innocent blood."

Go figure.

////

Last edited by James Peterson; 01/05/14 11:56 AM.
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: James Peterson] #160019
01/05/14 03:06 PM
01/05/14 03:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: James Peterson
J: How exactly then do we "partake of the Divine nature"?

M: It is supernatural. "No man [can] explain it, because it is supernatural, but the new birth shows practical results. {ST, November 30, 1891 par. 1}

J: Therefore, according to Jesus Christ himself, "partaking of the Diving nature" is to believe in him, to do as he says, and to act like him. As a child imitates his parent and knows nothing except what his parent says because he abides (lives) in his parent's house, so we also, by learning what is written in the Bible, endeavouring to live accordingly and seeking the company of fellow Christians, become daily more and more like sons of the Living God. See, even the psalmist declares, "YOUR WORD I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You." (Psalm 119:11)

Again, what you just described requires the supernatural assistance of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Believing the "word of God" in and and of itself is not sufficient.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Mountain Man] #160028
01/05/14 08:58 PM
01/05/14 08:58 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Again, what you just described requires the supernatural assistance of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Believing the "word of God" in and and of itself is not sufficient.

What do you think? When Romeo climbed the wall (which was a very dangerous thing to do) JUST to see Juliet out on her balcony:

1. was it HIS love for her, OR
2. was it HER spirit in him enabling him to do so?

John 15:9-14 says, "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." --- Jesus Christ

///

Last edited by James Peterson; 01/05/14 09:00 PM.
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: James Peterson] #160030
01/05/14 09:39 PM
01/05/14 09:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Eze 36:27 And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall keep My judgments and do them.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Rosangela] #160031
01/05/14 10:30 PM
01/05/14 10:30 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Eze 36:27 And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall keep My judgments and do them.

How many strings have you got by which you are made to move? Or do you not see that God was communicating in figures of speech?

///

Last edited by James Peterson; 01/05/14 10:37 PM.
Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: James Peterson] #160033
01/06/14 01:41 AM
01/06/14 01:41 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, I don't understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're saying obedience is the fruit of knowledge and will power.

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: Mountain Man] #160037
01/06/14 03:10 AM
01/06/14 03:10 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
James, I don't understand what you're saying. It sounds like you're saying obedience is the fruit of knowledge and will power.

That's a rather interesting observation: of knowledge and will power, yes. But more importantly, of love. It is your understanding of who God is and what He has done for you, that causes you to respond in kind; and thereby, reflect His character within you. You become motivated by a kindred spirit, HIS SPIRIT of self-less love and compassion and faith.

Paul put it this way. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." (1 Cor. 13:1-3)

Later on he goes on to explain what is THIS LOVE.

And it is the reason too, when Jesus Christ was asked what was the greatest commandment, he said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (Mat. 22:37-40)

To love someone, to truly love someone, is a wonderful thing to experience, especially when that person loves you in return. You live in their hearts and shape their lives and cause them to run to you when they see you. They would do anything for you. Is your spirit living in them and giving them the strength to do the impossible for you? Sure, but only in a figure of speech. Yet, the experience is VERY real and powerful!

Isaiah 42:1, "Behold! My Servant whom I uphold, My Elect One in whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles." O that SDA would read the word of God for themselves: how wonderful a vision of heaven they would see! But now it is hidden from their eyes in dark sayings.

///

Re: Did Christ have sinful tendencies? How does EGW use the word propensities? [Re: James Peterson] #160050
01/06/14 03:05 PM
01/06/14 03:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
James, I am sorry, but I still do not understand what you are saying.

1.Are you saying obedience is the fruit of love, knowledge, and will power?

2. Are you saying we do not need the supernatural assistance of the Holy Spirit to miraculously empower us to use our faculties of mind and body to resist temptation, to grow in grace, to mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit?

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!