HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 39 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15959
10/02/05 06:43 PM
10/02/05 06:43 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again?
The sinful flesh becomes subject to the Spirit.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15960
10/02/05 10:28 PM
10/02/05 10:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Yes, I had the impression you hadn’t understood my position about the impulses implanted by God, which, of course, are present in all human beings. What can be removed is the imbalance some have in these impulses, that is, immorality, gluttony, evil temper, etc.

Mike,

It’s not that I no longer want to participate, it’s just that I think I’ve said everything I could say. Of course there are some areas of disagreement among us, but I just wanted to make sure you and Tom understood correctly my position.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15961
10/03/05 03:04 AM
10/03/05 03:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I haven't understood your position regarding Christ's being sexually tempted. Before your post (not including this last one) I would have said your position was that Christ could not be sexually tempted. Now I'm not sure. I'd like to know.

Thank you.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15962
10/03/05 11:12 AM
10/03/05 11:12 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

If Christ was a human being, He could be sexually tempted. When we discussed this, however, I pointed out that, first, Christ closed all doors to temptation by being occupied the whole time, and second, that He had one great objective in life that absorbed all His time and energies. You will admit that when you are tired or greatly absorbed in something, sex doesn’t pose a temptation. It was the same with John the Baptist and Paul, for example.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15963
10/04/05 03:36 AM
10/04/05 03:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, do you agree with the following observation (extracted from my last post):
quote:
However, I also believe the electrical impulses [generated by our organs] are intercepted and perverted by our fallen nature. They are converted into unholy conscious thoughts and feelings. With the mind of the new man we may, by the grace of God, recognize and resist them unto the honor and glory of God.

Our sinful flesh nature will never stop perverting the innocent and legitimate needs produced by our body. We are stuck with it until the day Jesus returns and replaces it with a sinless one, like the one Adam and Eve possessed before they chose to eat the forbidden fruit.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15964
10/04/05 03:41 AM
10/04/05 03:41 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
The sinful flesh becomes subject to the Spirit.
John, are you implying our sinful flesh nature stops generating and communicating unholy thoughts and feelings when we're born again, when God implants within us the new man mind? If so, how, then, was it possible for Jesus to be tempted from within like a born again believer is tempted from within (i.e., by fallen flesh nature)?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15965
10/03/05 04:53 PM
10/03/05 04:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, please let me know if I am understanding you correctly.

I understand you are saying that as a human being, it was theoretically possible for Christ to have been tempted sexually, but He was never actually tempted sexually. Am I correct?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15966
10/03/05 04:59 PM
10/03/05 04:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mike: It seems to me that there are a number of points we are in agreement on, and I'd like to clarify a point it seems we might not be, and see if you think what I'm thinking doesn't make sense.

I agree that the fallen nature continues to "generate and communicate unholy thoughts" as you put it, but would add that this is not the only source of temptations we have as believers. We've also committed sin, and these bad habits we've formed remain in our nervous system as much as the fallen nature does. God gives us power to overcome these bad habits, and at times He may actually perform miracles to where one loses the desire to do certain things (i.e. an alcoholic loses the desire to drink, or a smoker to smoke -- also the loss of these desires may happen without a miracle being performed) but this is by no means universally true.

So in brief what I'm saying is that not only does our fallen nature contribute to our temptations, so does past sins we have committed.

Christ was able to be tempted in all points like we are because He both took our nature upon Him, and took our sin. Just one or the other would not have been sufficient.

In the temptations in the wilderness, you will see, for example, that the Spirit of Prophesy points out that what made Christ's temptations so difficult was His taking the sin of the world upon Him.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15967
10/04/05 02:14 PM
10/04/05 02:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

My position is that there are bodily impulses (for food, water, sex, etc.), but that there are also impulses originated in the mind, which have nothing to do with the body (for instance, the impulse to lie, love of money, pride, etc.). So I think our position differs here.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15968
10/04/05 02:19 PM
10/04/05 02:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
I understand you are saying that as a human being, it was theoretically possible for Christ to have been tempted sexually, but He was never actually tempted sexually. Am I correct?
Tom,

Please notice that I compared the life of Jesus in this aspect with the life of John the Baptist and Paul (or OT prophets like Elijah and Elisha). When the disciples said, “It is better not to marry”, Jesus replied, "All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given”, implying that some men have this gift. And when Paul said, “For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion”, of course this implies that if he chose not to marry it was because he was not “aflame with passion”, otherwise he would have chosen to be married. So, for some men, sex does not seem to pose a great problem.

Not all things are a problem to all people. For instance, Satan would waste his time tempting me to overeating, since the more food I see in front of me, the less I feel like eating. This, however, is a powerful temptation for most people.

The point, however, is that this discussion is irrelevant. The Bible narrates those temptations of Jesus that are important for us to know about, and in the area of appetites and passions, the Bible shows us that Jesus overcame something much more powerful than sex.

Maslow noticed that some needs take precedence over others. For example, if you are hungry and thirsty, you will tend to try to take care of the thirst first. After all, you can do without food for weeks, but you can only do without water for a couple of days! Thirst is a “stronger” need than hunger. Likewise, if you are very, very thirsty, but someone has put a choke hold on you and you can’t breathe, which is more important? The need to breathe, of course. On the other hand, sex is less powerful than any of these - you won’t die if you don’t get it.

It is clear that the most urgent needs are related to avoiding death, and it is clear that sex does not fall in this category, but hunger does.

“As in his human strength man could not resist the power of Satan's temptations, Jesus volunteered to undertake the work and to bear the burden for man, and overcome the power of appetite in his behalf. In man's behalf He must show self-denial, perseverance, and firmness of principle paramount to the gnawing pangs of hunger. He must show a power of control stronger than hunger and even death.” {Con 37.1}

Page 7 of 39 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!