HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 39 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #15999
10/12/05 02:50 PM
10/12/05 02:50 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
John: The difference in those who are not fallen is that they are partakers of grace until they break faith, while the fallen beings must by faith first become partakers of grace.

Tom: I'm not following this. I understand that all fallen humanity partakes of God's grace, and it is because of this grace that man exists.

We understand that God has grace towards every being, but not every being is a partaker or possessor of that grace.

Only those who are of faith can be possessors of grace. Simply put, they live grace. Adam was clothed with glory; God’s glory; God’s grace. When he broke faith he lost the glory.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16000
10/12/05 04:32 PM
10/12/05 04:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following quotes support Tom's position:

1BC 1083
In what consisted the strength of the assault made upon Adam, which caused his fall? It was not indwelling sin; for God made Adam after His own character, pure and upright. There were no corrupt principles in the first Adam, no corrupt propensities or tendencies to evil. Adam was as faultless as the angels before God's throne. These things are inexplainable, but many things which now we cannot understand will be made plain when we shall see as we are seen, and know as we are known (Letter 191, 1899). {1BC 1083.6}

PP 61
After their sin Adam and Eve were no longer to dwell in Eden. They earnestly entreated that they might remain in the home of their innocence and joy. They confessed that they had forfeited all right to that happy abode, but pledged themselves for the future to yield strict obedience to God. But they were told that their nature had become depraved by sin; they had lessened their strength to resist evil and had opened the way for Satan to gain more ready access to them. In their innocence they had yielded to temptation; and now, in a state of conscious guilt, they would have less power to maintain their integrity. {PP 61.4}

CON 45
Because man fallen could not overcome Satan with his human strength, Christ came from the royal courts of heaven to help him with His human and divine strength combined. Christ knew that Adam in Eden with his superior advantages might have withstood the temptations of Satan and conquered him. He also knew that it was not possible for man out of Eden, separated from the light and love of God since the fall, to resist the temptations of Satan in his own strength. In order to bring hope to man, and save him from complete ruin, He humbled Himself to take man's nature, that with His divine power combined with the human He might reach man where he is. He obtained for the fallen sons and daughters of Adam that strength which it is impossible for them to gain for themselves, that in His name they might overcome the temptations of Satan. {Con 45.2}

CON 47
Fallen men had not the advantages of Adam in Eden. They had been separating from God for four thousand years. The wisdom to understand, and power to resist, the temptations of Satan had become less and less, until Satan seemed to reign triumphant in the earth. Appetite and passion, the love of the world, and presumptuous sins were the great branches of evil out of which every species of crime, violence, and corruption grew. Satan was defeated in his object to overcome Christ upon the point of appetite. And here in the wilderness Christ achieved a victory in behalf of the race upon the point of appetite, making it possible for man, in all future time in His name to overcome the strength of appetite on his own behalf. {Con 47.1}

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16001
10/13/05 04:56 AM
10/13/05 04:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John, there's different ways to understand grace. I don't disagree with the things you wrote. The things I wrote are also true, I believe, as shown by the quote I provided. So it seems to me we're dealing with a situation of trying to express ideas with words when there's not a one to one correspondence of the two (i.e. one to one correspondence of ideas and words).

Another way of saying what you said, it seems to me, is that God is by nature gracious, and so acts graciously to all, or equivalently extends grace to all.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16002
10/13/05 04:58 AM
10/13/05 04:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, what do you see is different between fallen and unfallen man in regards to man's nature and temptation? Does Christ's life and death do anything for man other than achieve merit which is dispensed as needed? (am I expressing your view correctly here?)

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16003
10/13/05 05:14 AM
10/13/05 05:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I see a difference in the experience of man regarding faith and grace in that man has personally experienced God's mercy. Surely there are Spirit of Prophesy quotations to this effect. This seems very obvious to me.

Unfortunately I'm very busy right now, so won't have much time to look for things. I appreciate that insights and questions being provided. I'm especially interested in answering Rosangela's question regarding if unfallen Adam needed grace as much as Christ did. My immediate reaction is that, as Adam pointed out, God could deal with Adam on the basis of obedience, because he never sinned, and while it is true that Christ also never sinned, and thus could be dealt with on the basis of obdience, Christ never could have overcome without grace in the first place. So Christ needed grace to overcome, but unfallen Adam did not. Why? Because Christ was made to be sin for us. He Himself never sinned, but He took our sinful nature, and more than that, was made to be sin for us.

He cried out:

quote:
11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. 12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me. 13 Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me. (Ps. 40:11-13)
We know this is Christ from earlier verses and Hebrews 10 which quotes this psalm as referring to Christ. The experience quoted here is not one of unfallen Adam, and sounds a lot like a plea for grace.

Here's a statement from the Spirit of Prophesy:

quote:
Adam was tempted by the enemy, and he fell. It was not indwelling sin which caused him to yield; for God made him pure and upright, in His own image. He was as faultless as the angels before the throne. There were in him no corrupt principles, no tendencies to evil. But when Christ came to meet the temptations of Satan, He bore "the likeness of sinful flesh." (BE 11/03/00)
This contrasts unfallan Adam's position of no corrupt principles nor tendencies to evil with Christ's position in taking "the likeness of sinful flesh." The difficulties which unfallen man has to face are more greater than what Adam had to face, and required the sacrifice of Christ to enable fallen man to overcome. By the sacrifice of Christ, I do not mean merely His death, but His becoming human; His whole life's ministry, and culminating with His death. Without this supreme revelation of God's character, fallen man would have had absolultely no chance of overcoming the sophistry of Satan. But unfallen Adam could have overcome without this sacrifice of Christ. So there is a difference in what is needed for fallen man and unfallen man.

This is looking at things in a small scale. In a broader view, the sacrifice of Christ was as necessary for unfallen beings as for fallen ones, in terms of placing the universe on a basis of stability by clarifying God's character and the principles of His government in contrast with Satan's. Of course this is just what Christ did for fallen man as well, so I'm sort of arguing both sides of the question on this one.

I appreciate the thoughts and questions. This has been a very stimulating study.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16004
10/14/05 03:06 AM
10/14/05 03:06 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom and Mike,

The main difference I see between fallen and unfallen man in regards to man's nature and temptation is moral power, that is, the power to do the will of God – to do right and to resist evil.

Using Mike’s quotations:

But they were told that their nature had become depraved by sin; they had lessened their strength to resist evil and had opened the way for Satan to gain more ready access to them. In their innocence they had yielded to temptation; and now, in a state of conscious guilt, they would have less power to maintain their integrity. {PP 61.4}

Fallen men had not the advantages of Adam in Eden. They had been separating from God for four thousand years. The wisdom to understand, and power to resist, the temptations of Satan had become less and less, until Satan seemed to reign triumphant in the earth. {Con 47.1}

It was impossible for man, who had weakened his moral power through transgression of God's law, to keep the commandments of God; {ST, June 15, 1891 par. 5}

This is the disadvantage of fallen man in relation to unfallen man. That Christ had moral power from birth is clear, for He never sinned:

The life of Christ was distinguished from the generality of children. His strength of moral character, and his firmness, ever led him to be true to his sense of duty, and to adhere to the principles of right, from which no motive, however powerful, could move him. Money or pleasure, applause or censure, could not purchase or flatter him to consent to a wrong action. He was strong to resist temptation, wise to discover evil, and firm to abide faithful to his convictions. {YI, April 1, 1872 par. 3}

It seems to me that His divinity supplied the wisdom to discover evil, the strength to resist temptation, the firmness to abide faithful to right. What do you guys think about this?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16005
10/14/05 03:43 AM
10/14/05 03:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think there is a difficulty in what you wrote in that the Spirit of Prophesy states that Christ disproved Satan's claims that man could keep the law. If Christ overcome by His own divine power, then He did nothing to disprove Satan's claims.

quote:
Satan declared that it was impossible for the sons and daughters of Adam to keep the law of God, and thus charged upon God a lack of wisdom and love. If they could not keep the law, then there was fault with the Lawgiver. Men who are under the control of Satan repeat these accusations against God, in asserting that men can not keep the law of God. Jesus humbled himself, clothing his divinity with humanity, in order that he might stand as the head and representative of the human family, and by both precept and example condemn sin in the flesh, and give the lie to Satan's charges. (ST 1/16/96)
A second question I had about the explanation is what it means to say that man does not have moral power to resist temptation and do right? That is, would you express the thought in other words (i.e. without using the phrase "moral power").

Finally, I believe that because of Adam's sin, man's nature was impacted so that he had tendencies to sin which did not exist before Adam's sin. That is, Adam had no corrupt principles or tendencies to evil:

quote:
Adam was tempted by the enemy, and he fell. It was not indwelling sin which caused him to yield; for God made him pure and upright, in His own image. He was as faultless as the angels before the throne. There were in him no corrupt principles, no tendencies to evil. But when Christ came to meet the temptations of Satan, He bore "the likeness of sinful flesh." (BE 9/3/00)
So having corrupt principles and tendencies to evil in the flesh is a characteristic of fallen man, and is the reason IMO that man does not have the moral power to resist temptation and do right.

I agree that Christ overcame the weaknesseses of fallen humanity by divine power, but it was not by virtue of His own divinity that Christ overcame, but by the divine power of His Father. Christ overcame by faith, not by virture of His own divine power.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16006
10/15/05 03:36 AM
10/15/05 03:36 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Sister White uses the expression "moral power" scores of times. While we are born with moral power we are not born with the ability to use it unto the honor and glory of God. We must be born again and receive the implanted mind of the new man and partake of the divine nature in order to use our moral powers to obey the law of God and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit, to become like Jesus. Thus it was for Jesus. He, too, had to rely on His Father to resist sinning and to develop a pure and spotless character.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16007
10/14/05 06:41 PM
10/14/05 06:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Sister White uses the expression "moral power" scores of times.
So? The Bible uses words like "justification" and "sanctification" many times. The fact that a word has been used been some author doesn't mean the is understood, does it?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16008
10/14/05 06:48 PM
10/14/05 06:48 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

I will write in more detail later, but I gave a simple definition in the first sentence of my post - moral power is the power to do right and to resist evil.

Page 11 of 39 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!