HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: dedication] #159941
01/03/14 05:54 AM
01/03/14 05:54 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The new versions leave enough to make it seem there is no problem, BUT THEY HAVE taken out the strength of the verses to make it easier to rationalize true doctrine away.

Saying that true doctrines can still be found in the new versions by someone who ALREADY believes it, is true, but it still makes it very, very easy for those who want to believe differently to rationalize the weakened doctrinal truths away.

And believe me -- there are MANY who rationalize these doctrines away and vigorously teach others to do the same.

Even though you come to them with Bible in hand, people will simply tell you, you are reading the Bible through EGW's glasses, as the newer versions have made it easier to rationalize the doctrines away.

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: dedication] #159944
01/03/14 02:36 PM
01/03/14 02:36 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
The new versions leave enough to make it seem there is no problem, BUT THEY HAVE taken out the strength of the verses to make it easier to rationalize true doctrine away.

Saying that true doctrines can still be found in the new versions by someone who ALREADY believes it, is true, but it still makes it very, very easy for those who want to believe differently to rationalize the weakened doctrinal truths away.

And believe me -- there are MANY who rationalize these doctrines away and vigorously teach others to do the same.

Even though you come to them with Bible in hand, people will simply tell you, you are reading the Bible through EGW's glasses, as the newer versions have made it easier to rationalize the doctrines away.

OK - so you admit that SDA doctrines can be found in the "modern" versions. How many of these people that rationalize away these doctrines, and going to be open to only use that KJV? If they are that savvy to rationalize away these doctrines, do you expect that they will be open to reading the KJV only? And how about a JW? Are you going to convince them that the KJV is superior to the NWT? Nope. Christ met the people where they were. You are saying the people need to move away from where they are in order to be reached. Good luck!

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Green Cochoa] #160056
01/06/14 03:32 PM
01/06/14 03:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I haven't heard of the NET before, but whatever it is, along with ESV and KJV, those are the only ones which in this case preserve the concept of every sabbath following the even-to-even principle. The other versions explicitly apply that principle to the ninth day of the month--which changes things.
Green, sometimes, you cause one to suspect you have the hint of intelligence regarding manuscripts. Then there are the majority of the times you devolve into quibbling over English words.

Quote:
Leviticus 23:32 NIV It is a day of sabbath rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath."

Leviticus 23:32 KJV It shall be to you a sabbath of rest, and you shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even to even, shall you celebrate your sabbath.
If you are unable to show a difference or show how the manuscripts do not support a version, then please stop quibbling over English words.
It is annoying.

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: kland] #160061
01/06/14 04:15 PM
01/06/14 04:15 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

What words do the majority of English speakers read when they read the Bible? Greek? Hebrew? Nope.

Why should I discuss those? The end result is what they read--and that is English. Yes, the real problem is the faulty manuscript underlying the translation. But in one's first layer of investigation into this, the proverbial "tip of the iceberg" is the first indicator of a deeper problem, and in this case, the surface language of English is the first indicator of the errors in the underlying manuscripts.

I'm not sure why this would be difficult to grasp. I use English on this forum because most here would be excluded from the conversation if I were to use the local language of my residence. However, the local Bibles face the same problem--their translations are poor because they come from the same corrupt manuscripts that all of our modern English translations come from.

Incidentally, I have recently begun a new edition of the Bible. In English. Seeing an accurate translation of the Bible means much to me.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Green Cochoa] #160072
01/06/14 06:47 PM
01/06/14 06:47 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Whoa green!!! Are you writing an accurate translation or an accurate interpretation of the Bible into English? I did not know you were a Hebrew and Greek scholar! Why did you not say so?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: APL] #160087
01/07/14 05:54 AM
01/07/14 05:54 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Actually there are English Bibles out there that have updated the language but followed the KJV rather precisely.

The Lighthouse or Little Sable Bible

Its objective was to modernize the language but not to be a new translation rather it tries to follow the meaning of the King James Version as much as possible.

I have not checked this Bible out in any thorough manner -- just found it interesting .

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: APL] #160102
01/07/14 03:46 PM
01/07/14 03:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: APL
Whoa green!!! Are you writing an accurate translation or an accurate interpretation of the Bible into English? I did not know you were a Hebrew and Greek scholar! Why did you not say so?
He means he hasn't a clue. But he does like certain English words and not others. Therefore, he is taking an old English version, ignoring the manuscripts, and then putting his pet English words into it.

In other words, what I've suspected all along, he doesn't really grasp the issue, whether it is an issue, nor what some are even talking about. But he does like some English words...

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: kland] #160103
01/07/14 03:48 PM
01/07/14 03:48 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
'If the Bible doesn't say what you want it to say, rewrite it to say what you want it to say.'

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: kland] #160129
01/08/14 03:02 AM
01/08/14 03:02 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

Would you like a few examples of what revisions are being made? Perhaps you would like to identify some of my "pet English words." Here are a few examples.

KJVRevision
Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? Why is it that you ask for my name?
Doth not your master... Does your master not...
Considerest thou not... Do you not consider...
The LORD was entreated of him... The LORD heard his petition...
...he doth judge and make war... ...he judges and makes war...
etc.

If you have any special concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Green Cochoa] #160130
01/08/14 03:07 AM
01/08/14 03:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

How do modern ancient Greek and Hebrew scholars come by their knowledge? Is it not by the study of books and the words of modern "experts" who tell them what those words used to mean? Obviously, no one in the world today is a first-hand expert (native speaker) of ancient Greek or Hebrew. No one. The same tools that modern scholars use to become familiar with the ancient biblical languages are, in a great degree, available to any English speaker today. I have tools I use to check any words that are substantive and where a change is made beyond that of modernized grammar or orthography.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!