HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Green Cochoa] #160307
01/14/14 03:13 AM
01/14/14 03:13 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Green:

It looks to me like you are working on a revision of the KJV, rather than a translation.

Isn't that what the NKJV is?

What do you not like about the NKJV that causes you to compete with it?

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Gregory] #160313
01/14/14 05:02 AM
01/14/14 05:02 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
At times, such as in the Ten Commandments where the KJV mistranslated the Hebrew word as "kill," a word is changed which alters the meaning of the text (murder).
Opinion!

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: APL] #160314
01/14/14 05:07 AM
01/14/14 05:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
At times, such as in the Ten Commandments where the KJV mistranslated the Hebrew word as "kill," a word is changed which alters the meaning of the text (murder).
Opinion!

You show your ignorance. You obviously haven't studied that issue in depth and/or with an open mind, comparing scripture with scripture. I somehow think your preconceived ideas tie into this somewhere as well.

Which brings us back to Walter Veith. How can he hope to help anyone understand these issues when their minds are already so firmly entrenched?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Green Cochoa] #160315
01/14/14 06:26 AM
01/14/14 06:26 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Whose mind is entrenched? I'd suggest you read EGW's description of 6th commandment, and read it putting aside your creed. It is very interesting.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: APL] #160316
01/14/14 07:28 AM
01/14/14 07:28 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

First of all, Mrs. White told us many times to study the Bible itself, and that her writings were merely to help us understand the Bible better, not a replacement for the Bible. This topic is about the Bible.

It is unfortunate to have to define such a common-sense word as "kill," but you apparently do not understand it. What is "kill," APL?

To me, to the dictionary, and to society in general (though I wonder if it will be so with you), "kill" means to end the life of any living creature. Did God give us such a command? No. The Hebrew word mistranslated as "kill" in the commandments was not the same word used as "kill" in many other contexts. It is actually the word used for "slay," "manslaughter," "murder," etc. The translation the KJV holds for the sixth commandment is an anomaly compared to the word's translation in other places. It should have been translated as "murder."

You appealed to Mrs. White. Here you have some of her words on the subject, though she doesn't tell us about the Hebrew meaning--she addresses (as would probably irritate kland) the English side of the translation.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
There are those who say that nothing, not even insects, should be killed. God has not entrusted any such message to His people. It is possible to stretch the command "Thou shalt not kill" to any limit; but it is not according to sound reasoning to do this. Those who do it have not learned in the school of Christ. {3SM 329.1}
This earth has been cursed because of sin, and in these last days vermin of every kind will multiply. These pests must be killed, or they will annoy and torment and even kill us, and destroy the work of our hands and the fruit of our land. In places there are ants [termites] which entirely destroy the woodwork of houses. Should not these be destroyed? Fruit trees must be sprayed, that the insects which would spoil the fruit may be killed. God has given us a part to act, and this part we must act with faithfulness. Then we can leave the rest with the Lord. {3SM 329.2}
God has given no man the message, Kill not ant or flea or moth. Troublesome and harmful insects and reptiles we must guard against and destroy, to preserve ourselves and our possessions from harm. And even if we do our best to exterminate these pests, they will still multiply.--Manuscript 70, 1901. (Review and Herald, Aug. 31, 1961.) {3SM 329.3}

Obviously, "kill" in the commandment does not really mean "kill." If it did, one couldn't kill any animal, not even so-called "pests," without breaking the commandment. But Mrs. White tells us that not only does it NOT break the commandment to kill these pests, but that we MUST do so in order to "preserve ourselves and our possessions from harm."

Again, APL, the Bible version is not the real cause of trouble with you here. It is your bent to support preconceived opinions that causes you to misinterpret the Bible. Mrs. White had no problem redefining the word "kill" to mean we must sometimes kill and destroy. Mrs. White would applaud the translation "murder" in place of "kill," for it is more accurate.

If you want to continue this discussion, please do so on the merits or validity of the translation from the original language. We have other threads on punishment--that's not what this discussion is about, ok?

Clearly, the KJV is inferior in this text to most modern translations which accurately have translated "murder." This is one place where updating the KJV is more than appropriate.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Gregory] #160317
01/14/14 07:48 AM
01/14/14 07:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Gregory
Green:

It looks to me like you are working on a revision of the KJV, rather than a translation.

Isn't that what the NKJV is?

What do you not like about the NKJV that causes you to compete with it?

Unfortunately, the NKJV muddled and made more difficult to understand a number of passages. In many places, the translators, while ostensibly using the Majority Text as the KJV did, leaned toward the minority manuscripts. There are certain passages that are remarkable in this.

At one time, I spoke on the topic of Bible versions in my home church, and a lady who was a somewhat nominal Christian but who was making some new steps in the right direction, took from me that the NKJV, also being translated from the Majority Text, was a good and reliable translation. She began using it. I later heard from her that she had begun to question it, based on some unusual readings she had encountered in it. (I no longer remember what she ran across, only that it raised my own eyebrows too.)

It's too bad that we don't have a truer translation that is commonly available in present-day English. (I would say "modern," but that's a relative term, and most linguists would consider "modern" English to go back several hundred years.)

There are a few specific errors that I do not agree with in the NKJV. One of those has already garnered some attention in the forums here: Isaiah 14:12. The NKJV includes as a footnote the blasphemous translation that appears in the modern versions. Only a footnote--but strongly implies it's the truth. Then there are the simply inaccurate and unnecessary adjustments like in the first verse of the Bible....

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, KJV)

IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, NKJV)

The word "heaven" is singular in Hebrew. Why make it plural? The KJV and the NKJV differ only on that one letter "S" for that whole verse...and it's less accurate to add it. Why did they?

The NKJV uses some convoluted language at times, whereas the KJV is more readable. For example, the NKJV trades the KJV word "hell" for "Hades" at times. If "hell" is not correct, why not render it more correctly instead of more obscurely?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: Green Cochoa] #160324
01/14/14 01:19 PM
01/14/14 01:19 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Me thinks green, you are doing exactly what EGW is saying when you stretch the word kill to include everything, which as she says, is not sound reasoning. I agree with her that the earth has been cursed by sin [not God!!!], and that it is SIN that has "created" the vermin. How does that happen green? "God has given no man the message, Kill not ant or flea or moth." What does the COMMANDMENTS deal with??? Our relationship to GOD and to MAN. Do you doubt that? Your attempt to extend my definition is all is only to discredit myself and the truth.

Green says, "If you want to continue this discussion, please do so on the merits or validity of the translation from the original language." That is what we are doing! The KJV translation needs no change on this point. And is it not interesting that it is one of the 10C that is in question? Walter Veith has talked about how the whole law will come under attack in the last days, not just the 4th commandment.

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: APL] #160325
01/14/14 01:36 PM
01/14/14 01:36 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

You might have more credibility if you were consistent. Are you a staunch KJV supporter now? It seems you have ordinarily fought for the legitimacy of the modern translations. Now, when a modern translation does not fit your pet ideas, you stick with the KJV--even though in this case the modern versions all have a better translation!

Even the NKJV, ostensibly translated from the same manuscripts the KJV came from, renders the verse "You shall not murder." (Exodus 20:13, NKJV)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: APL] #160326
01/14/14 02:32 PM
01/14/14 02:32 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
That is a fact. Very much so.
But yet, next he says, well... I can't support it...well, well,....why do you hold me to my claims.

kland,

Perhaps I have not been sufficiently clear in my purposes. I have more than one purpose.
Oh, I understood your purpose to not be clear alright. You jump from one side to the other depending upon whether it serves your purpose.

Quote:
1) To have a "modern" translation from the Majority Text.
2) To adhere as closely as possible to the original wording.
1) is what I thought you were trying to support somehow by quibbling over English words. Guess not. Guess your list(s) comparison was a meaningless list.

What I understand you talking about 2), "the original wording", is that the KJV is the standard because..... well, you said so.

Quote:
when their minds are already so firmly entrenched?
Yep.
Originally Posted By: APL
Opinion!
Yep!
I think Green means his opinion is deeply entrenched in what he as determined as "the original language" (except when it isn't!?) and so don't bother him.

You appealed to Mrs. White. Here you have some of her words on the subject, though she doesn't tell us about the Hebrew meaning--she addresses (as would probably irritate kland) the English side of the translation.
Obviously, "kill" in the commandment does not really mean "kill." If it did, one couldn't kill any animal, not even so-called "pests," without breaking the commandment. But Mrs. White tells us that not only does it NOT break the commandment to kill these pests, but that we MUST do so in order to "preserve ourselves and our possessions from harm."
(English side does not irritate me. It's when people make things up and cannot or won't even attempt to support their claims)

I note she quotes the KJV, uses the word "kill", and no where there uses the word "murder". Seems to me she is explaining what it means and does not require it to be switched to another word.

So..., you are saying the KJV is THE standard, except when your opinion is different.

....Which is what I've been saying from the beginning that you've been saying... Absolutely nothing!

The word "heaven" is singular in Hebrew. Why make it plural? The KJV and the NKJV differ only on that one letter "S" for that whole verse...and it's less accurate to add it. Why did they?

Originally Posted By: KJV!
Ge 2:1 ¶ Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

'nuf sed. Green yet again, gives proof, [fill in the blank]

Re: The Battle of the Bibles by Walter Veith [Re: kland] #160353
01/15/14 02:29 AM
01/15/14 02:29 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
kland,

Your conflation of Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 2:1 does not prove anything to me. Your attempt to use said conflation to call me names is both disingenuous and unChristlike.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!