HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 39 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16079
10/31/05 11:54 AM
10/31/05 11:54 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
It seems I am in agreement with John.

Mike,

I think the difference is that after incarnation Christ’s mind had to deal with His human feelings and desires.

Tom,

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16080
10/31/05 01:59 PM
10/31/05 01:59 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
“He humbled Himself in taking the nature of man in his fallen condition, but he did not take the taint of sin.”
That is the same as saying that:

a)Christ took our nature (sinful flesh), and faced the same problems we have, including genetic tendencies – according to the flesh.

Christ did not take our sinful nature (sinful spirit) but rather retained his holy spirit.

To take on the sinful spirit, would mean that he would have to participate in sin and he did not.

There is nothing in us that causes us to sin but our sinful spirit. The solution is his Holy Spirit. That is the message of righteousness by faith, Christ in you the hope of glory.

The sinful spirit was allowed to be pressed upon him several times which he resisted to the point of the cross.

May God help us understand and receive his holy spirit.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16081
10/31/05 03:41 PM
10/31/05 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, Satan's flesh became sinful the moment he sinned. The same is true of Adam. In the case of the humans, sinful flesh nature gains momentum as it is passed on from generation to generation. Its ability to tempt us grows stronger and stronger each time it is added to and passed on. Things are far worse now than they were immediately after Adam sinned.

quote:
May God help us understand and receive his holy spirit.
May God help us understand and recieve the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead. I do not agree with the implication that the Holy Spirit is not a divine Being in the same way the Father and the Son are divine Beings. This is not a separate topic.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16082
10/31/05 03:46 PM
10/31/05 03:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, in what way did Jesus' human feelings and desires differ from the ones He dealt with before His incarnation?

What was it about His sinful human nature that made it possible for Him to be tempted in the same way born again believers are tempted?

Was He tempted from within in the same way born again believers are tempted from within?

Since it is not a sin to be tempted, was Jesus tempted differently than how born again believers are tempted? That is, was the origin or source of His temptations different? I realize some of His temptations were different.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16083
10/31/05 05:00 PM
10/31/05 05:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, you never did respond to the historical considerations, which I what I consider to be the weakest part of the pre-lapsarian position. One can attempt to parse Ellen White's words in different ways, but one cannot change history.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16084
10/31/05 09:27 PM
10/31/05 09:27 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
sorry..double post

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16085
10/31/05 09:30 PM
10/31/05 09:30 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Satan's flesh became sinful the moment he sinned. The same is true of Adam. In the case of the humans, sinful flesh nature gains momentum as it is passed on from generation to generation. Its ability to tempt us grows stronger and stronger each time it is added to and passed on. Things are far worse now than they were immediately after Adam sinned.
I agree that a change in the spirit affects the flesh. I disagree that a change in the flesh alters the spirit.

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16086
11/01/05 01:04 PM
11/01/05 01:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

I’m sure we have discussed this in the past. What I see in our history is that just because Ellen White endorsed some author/preacher, this doesn’t mean she was in agreement with every aspect of what that author/preacher said. So, I don’t go to others in order to establish what Ellen White thought. I go to what she wrote herself.

Mike,

quote:
Rosangela, in what way did Jesus' human feelings and desires differ from the ones He dealt with before His incarnation?
Well, God doesn’t have to deal with fear, discouragement, depression; the desire to avoid disagreeable experiences, suffering, and death; desires related to physical needs and impulses.

“The human will of Christ would not have led him to the wilderness of temptation, to fast, and to be tempted of the devil. It would not have led him to endure humiliation, scorn, reproach, suffering, and death. His human nature shrank from all these things as decidedly as ours shrinks from them.” {ST, October 29, 1894 par. 9}

quote:
What was it about His sinful human nature that made it possible for Him to be tempted in the same way born again believers are tempted?
All the things mentioned above are sources of temptation.

quote:
Was He tempted from within in the same way born again believers are tempted from within?
It depends on what “temptations from within” mean. Christ didn’t possess inward corruption, nor did He have a sinful self to subdue, like us:

“Christ did not need to fast for forty days because of inward corruption, or to subdue self. He was sinless. It was on our account that He fasted.” {21MR 11.4}

quote:
Since it is not a sin to be tempted, was Jesus tempted differently than how born again believers are tempted? That is, was the origin or source of His temptations different? I realize some of His temptations were different.
In my opinion, things worked that way: He was tempted to become selfish, not to manifest His inward selfishness.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16087
11/01/05 03:39 PM
11/01/05 03:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
I’m sure we have discussed this in the past. What I see in our history is that just because Ellen White endorsed some author/preacher, this doesn’t mean she was in agreement with every aspect of what that author/preacher said. So, I don’t go to others in order to establish what Ellen White thought. I go to what she wrote herself.
If Ellen White endorses some author/preacher on a specific point of theology then that does imply that she agrees with that point of theology.

To ignore this I don't think is going "with what she wrote herself" because the endorsements are a part of what she wrote!

For example, she listened in person to a sermon by W. W. Prescott entitled "The Word Became Flesh". Over three dozen times W. W. Prescott referred to the fact that Christ took our fallen, sinful flesh. She referred to this sermon as "truth separated from error". The subject of the sermon was the nature of Christ; it wasn't just a part of the sermon. The endorsement of "truth separated from error" must include the nature of Christ, because that's what the sermon was about!

Ellen White's ministry was in the context of history, just like that of any other human. To interpret her aright, it's essential that we be aware of the theology of her colleagues (especially those she endorsed) and how she related to them.

She not only endorsed the particular points of theology of certain ones (such as Waggoner and Haskel), she endorsed this theology with the specific purpose of overcoming a heresy whose foundation was the opposite of what she was endorsing. That is, the Holy Flesh heresy was predicated on the belief that Christ took the unfallen nature of Adam. SDA's, with her blessing, counteracted this theology by pointing out that we (i.e. SDA's) do not believe that Christ took the nature of unfallen Adam, but rather the nature of fallen Adam. "We" as Haskell quoted in her letter to Ellen White, must include Ellen White.

I also quoted her statement in 1890 when she was preaching with Jones and Waggoner on the subject of Christ's nature, and responded letters had been coming to her questioning how Christ could have the fallen nature of Adam. She defended the position that she, Jones and Waggoner were presenting. It is evident from this statement that her position was identical to theirs, and she in defending that position was defending their position as well as hers.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16088
11/01/05 07:49 PM
11/01/05 07:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, I forgot to ask - Was Jesus tempted like Adam before his fall? Or, was Jesus tempted like Adam after his fall? Is there any difference, so far as it relates to the origin and source of temptation (internal versus external)?

Page 19 of 39 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!