HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,071
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,341 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 39 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16109
11/04/05 12:39 PM
11/04/05 12:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

Some quotes about temptation that could help us to analyze the subject:

Through sin the whole human organism is deranged, the mind is perverted, the imagination corrupted. Sin has degraded the faculties of the soul. Temptations from without find an answering chord within the heart, and the feet turn imperceptibly toward evil. {NL 59.2}

Apart from divine power, no genuine reform can be effected. Human barriers against natural and cultivated tendencies are but as the sand-bank against the torrent. Not until the life of Christ becomes a vitalizing power in our lives can we resist the temptations that assail us from within and from without. {ST, December 1, 1914 par. 9}

You are in danger from corruption within and temptation without. There are evil habits and traits of character which are constantly inclining you to selfishness and weakness of principle. {RH, January 20, 1885 par. 3}

Our foes are within and without. We are assailed by temptations which are numerous and deceiving, the more perilous because not always clearly discerned. Often Satan conquers us by our natural inclinations and appetites. {14MR 294.3}

A man may be trying to serve God, but temptations from within and from without assail him. Satan and his angels urge and coax him to transgress. And perhaps he falls a prey to their temptings. {7MR 400.1}

Just before his cruel death, Jesus said, "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me." Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain a victory. He had kept his Father's commandments; and there was no sin in him that Satan could triumph over, no weakness or defect that he could use to his advantage. But we are sinful by nature, and we have a work to do to cleanse the soul-temple of every defilement. {RH, May 27, 1884 par. 11}

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16110
11/04/05 01:17 PM
11/04/05 01:17 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Just before his cruel death, Jesus said, "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me." Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain a victory
This “nothing” was not the body; for he (and his agents) took hold of the body and did to it what they would.

But the “nothing” was in Christ’s spirit; there was nothing there that Satan could lay hold of. Now Christ offers us his holy spirit so that Satan would have no ground in us. All that receive his spirit in their spirit are set free from law of sin and death.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16111
11/04/05 05:39 PM
11/04/05 05:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My point is that if Ellen White endorsed someone on a specific point of theology, she agreed with the person whom she was endorsing on the specific point she was endorsing.

She endorsed Crosier on the cleansing of the sanctuary, but there were some aspects in his position that were wrong.

She agreed with Crosier on the points she was endorsing, didn't she? Surely she wouldn't endorse him on something she disagreed with. In regards to Ellen White's endorsements of Prescott's, Jones and Waggoner's position on the nature of Christ, there was no qualification. She simply endorsed the positions as correct. You might be able to find some i or t somewhere that didn't get dotted or crossed if you look hard enough, but the position she was endorsing was the post-lapsarian position, and there is wide agreement as to what this entails. Jesus Christ partook of the flesh of fallen Adam, not unfallen Adam. Christ proved that it is possible for fallen man to keep the law. He was an example for us, and is able to sympathize with us, because He knows by personal experience what we go through. He was tempted in all points as we are tempted; tempted as one who has sinful flesh, like we have. These are general points which all agreed on.

quote: R: I don’t believe I would be helping you by saying that I do not regard what you say as correct.
T: I don't understand what you're saying.

R:I was referring to Waggoner. I don’t think that EGW’s saying that she didn’t consider as correct some of his interpretations of the Bible would help to eliminate any prejudice against him. What happens is that she endorsed his general message but said frankly she didn’t agree with some of his interpretations of the Bible.

Your interpretation here doesn't fit with the facts. If you read through the 1888 Materials, you will see that the scenario I presented was accurate. She wrote a lot about this. There's no need to be in error on this point.

quote:This is not how I perceive our difference. To the best of my knowledge, I have never made the statement that sinful tendencies reside in the body. I'm about 100% sure I've never made this statement.

R:Well, this is how I understood your position. You kept saying that sinful tendencies are genetically transmitted to the brain, which is a part of the body, and not to the mind (which is my position). What is your position after all?

The same as all the others; Prescott, Jones, Waggoner, et al.

quote:I believe a new position started entering in to the church starting from then (e.g. Bible Readings for the Home was changed at this time), and that this new position is incorrect.

There was not so much harmony of views before that time as some may believe. According to the 1895 General Conference Bulletin, Jones made several statements about Christ’s human nature during the meetings: "Christ's nature is precisely our nature" (p. 231); "In His human nature there is not a particle of difference between him and you" (p. 233); There is "not a single tendency to sin in you and me that was not in Adam when he stepped out of the garden" (p. 333). All the tendencies to sin that are in human flesh were in his human flesh," yet "not one of them was ever allowed to appear; he conquered them all. And in him we all have victory over them all" (p. 266, 267). Christ "was sinful as we" (p. 302). However, he was confronted by the delegates with some statements of Ellen White, such as that one of Christ sharing human infirmities but not the passions. It was then that he came up with that explanation that Christ was made in the likeness of sinful flesh but not in the likeness of sinful mind. The fact is that the delegates must have found a discrepancy between what he was saying and what Ellen White said, otherwise they wouldn't have confronted him with her words.
Curiously, both Prescott and Waggoner, several years after The Desire of Ages was written, still held the semi-arian concept that Christ’s life was derived from the Father. Ellen White had written clearly about it, but they didn't seem to pay attention to what she was saying.

There was no difference in the position, which was post-lapsarian. Just in the expression of some finer points of the position. To give an analagous argument on the pre-lapsarian side, the vast majority of pre-lapsarians believe Jesus could not have sinned. Just about the only exceptions to this are SDA's, many of whom, because of Ellen White, believe Christ could have sinned. Pre-lapsarians can argue about this point, but it doesn't impact the fact that the position is pre-lapsarian. It is a point of refinement. Similarly, none of those who were asking for clarification were pre-lapsarian, or held a position materially different than Jones. They were just trying to understand what he was saying, and if his understanding of Christ's taking our sinful nature was the same as Ellen's White's understanding of Christ's taking our sinful nature. There is no evidence that there were any pre-lapsarians involved.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16112
11/04/05 10:41 PM
11/04/05 10:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

The question is very simple, and this is where I want to end my participation in this discussion. There are not three or four options, but just two. Either sinful propensities/passions reside in the mind or in the body. It's either one or the other. Since I don't think that selfishness, pride, covetousness, envy, jealousy, etc. reside in the body, and since Jesus didn't have a sinful mind, to be coherent I have to disagree with you, Prescott, Jones, Waggonner et al.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16113
11/05/05 01:17 AM
11/05/05 01:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, thank you for the quotes. I think I understand your position now. Satan is the origin and source of all temptations; if evil angels were dead and gone, then temptations would cease to exist.

Based on this understanding of temptation, why doesn't God simply eliminate evil angels and save everyone? People would stop sinning if they weren't tempted, wouldn't they? Do you see what I mean?

Or, did I get it wrong?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16114
11/05/05 01:23 AM
11/05/05 01:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
1. Why do you think he was “tempted”?

2. Does one have to be “tempted” in order to sin?

3. What about all the angels which had no sinful flesh, how were they tempted?

4. What is temptation?

1. It's a mystery.
2. Every sin, since the fall of Lucifer, follows a temptation.
3. Lucifer tempted them.
4. A sinful suggestion.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16115
11/05/05 04:39 AM
11/05/05 04:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The question is very simple, and this is where I want to end my participation in this discussion. There are not three or four options, but just two.

I agree, there are two positions. The post-lapsarian position, the unanimous church of the SDA church, including Ellen White and all other Adventists who were published in our works until 1947, and the pre-lapsarian position, which started infiltrating the church in 1947.

Either sinful propensities/passions reside in the mind or in the body. It's either one or the other. Since I don't think that selfishness, pride, covetousness, envy, jealousy, etc. reside in the body, and since Jesus didn't have a sinful mind, to be coherent I have to disagree with you, Prescott, Jones, Waggonner et al.

This is a straw man argument. No one mentioned by you ever said Christ had a sinful mind. The acticle of Jones I presented makes this as clear as could possibly be made.

The et al. of Prescott, Jones, Waggoner et al. includes Ellen White. There is not a whit of difference between her position and theirs.

I think I asked you at least half a dozen times if you agree with the Jones article, and for some reason you have refused to answer, as far as I can tell (I apologize if you answered my question somewhere and I missed it). I think that article is very clear, is in perfect harmony with Scripture and Ellen White, and very, very easy to understand.

When Ellen White preached with Jones and Waggoner, she defended their position by saying "letters have come to us questioning how Christ could have come in our nature. If He did not come in our nature, He could not have been tempted as we are, and could not have been our example." (paraphrase from memory of the 1890 statement I cited several times). This statement shows:
1)People with the pre-lapsarian position from outside our church were questioning the post-lapsarion position that she, Jones and Waggoner were preaching.
2)She endorsed Jones and Waggoner's position.
3)She preached the same position they did.

Ellen White's position is very simply stated in the Desire of Ages, page 49:

quote:
But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.
The portion in bold is significant. It makes clear that it was not simply "innocent infirmities" which Christ accepted, but the results of the working of the great law of heredity He accepted "is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors." What results are these? Every kind of vice and sin. This is the heredity He accepted, a heredity just like ours. He did this to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life.

This is simple, and very easy to understand.

Over and over again, Ellen White wrote that Christ took fallen nature proving that we, fallen man, could perfection obey the law of God. Clearly if Christ overcame the law in a nature different than ours, He proved nothing in relation to our nature.

As Waggoner puts it:

"A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem." (Christ and His Rightouesness)

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16116
11/05/05 05:22 AM
11/05/05 05:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:

1. It's a mystery.
2. Every sin, since the fall of Lucifer, follows a temptation.
3. Lucifer tempted them.
4. A sinful suggestion.

Is sin primarily about doing something bad? Or is it about believing a lie about God?

If sin is primarily about believeing a lie, then the remedy for it is the revelation of truth.

quote:
The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth. Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work. The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes. (ST 1/20/90)

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16117
11/05/05 01:39 PM
11/05/05 01:39 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
3. What about all the angels which had no sinful flesh, how were they tempted?
MM: 3. Lucifer tempted them.
4. What is temptation?
MM: 4. A sinful suggestion

3. With what did Lucifer tempt them since they had no sinful flesh?
4. What is a sinful suggestion when you do not have sinful flesh?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16118
11/06/05 04:36 AM
11/06/05 04:36 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
This is a straw man argument. No one mentioned by you ever said Christ had a sinful mind. The acticle of Jones I presented makes this as clear as could possibly be made.
Tom,

I didn’t say any of them believed Christ had a sinful mind. The only point of agreement here is exactly that Christ didn’t have a sinful mind. But if the tendencies to sin all these people believed Christ had were not in His mind, the only other possible option is that they were in His body. What I said is that, since I don’t believe selfishness, pride, covetousness, etc. can reside in the body, I couldn’t agree with this position.
What any of us may think Ellen White believed is a matter of opinion. Some of her statements seem to favor one position, and some seem to favor the other, and it is clear that her endorsement of someone’s position was generally not full but qualified. She clearly believed that Christ came in our nature; what remains to be determined is if this involves just the physical aspect of it or if it also involves tendencies to sin. If this had already been determined we wouldn’t be discussing it today.

By the way, how do you know that it is your interpretation of the text that is the correct one?

"It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life." {DA 48.5}

Now, is there or isn't there the possibility that she is referring here just to physical results?

"Those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham resembled the angels in form, comeliness, and strength. But every succeeding generation have been growing weaker and more subject to disease, and their life has been of shorter duration. Satan has been learning how to annoy and enfeeble the race." {EW 184.2}

How can you be so sure that she is not referring to the physical weakening of the race as the history of His earthly ancestors, but is referring, instead, to "every sort of vice and sin" whose tendencies would have been transmitted to Him (something that is not in the text)?

[ November 05, 2005, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Rosangela ]

Page 22 of 39 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 10/22/24 02:32 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!