HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,071
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,341 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 39 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16119
11/05/05 05:19 PM
11/05/05 05:19 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Rosangela:
quote:
This is a straw man argument. No one mentioned by you ever said Christ had a sinful mind. The acticle of Jones I presented makes this as clear as could possibly be made.
Tom,

I didn’t say any of them believed Christ had a sinful mind. The only point of agreement here is exactly that Christ didn’t have a sinful mind. But if the tendencies to sin all these people believed Christ had were not in His mind, the only other possible option is that they were in His body. What I said is that, since I don’t believe selfishness, pride, covetousness, etc. can reside in the body, I couldn’t agree with this position.

Colin here,...yes, hello, this is my very first ever post:...thank you, thank you. Intro's over; I've been following this thread all the way, so.

Between the mind and body sinful tendencies can surely be sourced between the body below the neck and the brain while propensities (habits) can be sparked in the mind - thoughts. In Romans 7 (different thread, I know...) the 'law of sin' rules in the body while the 'law of God' wants to rule in the mind. Tendencies are sourced in the body - for its own pleasure seeking, but the mind is naturally inclined to opt for those suggestions. Having started sinning, the mind can spark further suggestions, but the brain and flesh are the real source. Thus the carnal mind is the sinner's mind used to sinning.

The carnal mind is "enmity against God" (Rom 8...), but, once the convicted sinner is converted to the power of the Spirit which creates the new mind, then tendencies to sin must be sourced in the body for the believer to deal with - with the Spirit, or without the Spirit.

Hence the body must the primary source of temptations....

quote:

What any of us may think Ellen White believed is a matter of opinion. Some of her statements seem to favor one position, and some seem to favor the other, and it is clear that her endorsement of someone’s position was generally not full but qualified. She clearly believed that Christ came in our nature; what remains to be determined is if this involves just the physical aspect of it or if it also involves tendencies to sin. If this had already been determined we wouldn’t be discussing it today. [/QB]

Got to dash to celebrate Guy Fawkes night here in the United Kingdom - Nov 5th...Shall respond to your second paragraph very soon.

A blessed Sabbath, what's left of it at your end,
Colin

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16120
11/05/05 09:23 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Originally posted by Colin:
quote:

[QUOTE]
What any of us may think Ellen White believed is a matter of opinion. Some of her statements seem to favor one position, and some seem to favor the other, and it is clear that her endorsement of someone’s position was generally not full but qualified. She clearly believed that Christ came in our nature; what remains to be determined is if this involves just the physical aspect of it or if it also involves tendencies to sin. If this had already been determined we wouldn’t be discussing it today.

Got to dash to celebrate Guy Fawkes night here in the United Kingdom - Nov 5th...Shall respond to your second paragraph very soon.

A blessed Sabbath, what's left of it at your end,
Colin

Right, back again....EGW's position has only been debated since after the 2nd World War. In the late 1930's F D Nichols (Review Editor-i-C; Editor of the Bible Commentary 1957) wrote in Answers to Objections that Adventists rightly taught Christ's assumption of our sinful humanity, so he insisted that the objection was correct!

The documentation by Jean Zurcher PhD in Touched with Our Feelings shows a unanimous teaching until the late 40's, such that our modern scholarship disagrees with their predecessors, with a radical break as shown in that book.

Centering sinfulness in the mind rather than the body appears to be how the wording changed, particularly prominently in the 1950's, with Christ's "sinless human nature": as defined by the "mind of Christ" instead of his human body. The defence for this change isn't good enough: "sinful human nature" was supposed to be imbalanced, not highlighting the "mind of Christ" sufficiently. We SDA's were never seriously imbalancing Christ's sinful humanity by forgetting his righteous mind and character.
Such was the biased perception of the Evangelical Christians who raised the objection in the first place!

The new thinking amongst us hasn't helped, has it...?

But, back to Scripture please, since this definition of 'human nature' by the mind rather than the body may well not tally with the Bible. The now infamous "likeness of sinful flesh" refers to the whole nature, granted. Born of a woman necessitates no exceptions in sinful human nature from her side for the Infant. To be high priest chosen from among his brethern obligates suffering the burden of morally degenerate flesh, separate from the mind...since Jesus was conceived with a mind imbued with the Holy Spirit - which didn't come from his mother(!).

Jesus' example given us in Lk 9:23 involves denying self, taking up one's cross daily and following the will of our Father. So, by his own testimony Jesus took on his divinity our humanity with its selfishness, in order to crucify it daily by faith.

Bringing the saints into the fray, we are reminded that they have the mind of Christ. How does the humanity of the saints remain sinful if they too have a righteous mind by living faith - as Christ had, for the sinful tendency of the nature would have been removed when the carnal mind was put to death by faith?

Doesn't Jesus' human nature's sinfulness help sort out our own, and clarify how perfectly Christ saves us from our nature?

Colin

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16121
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Hi, Colin, and welcome. The problem I see is how let's say, pride, or envy, can be in any way related to the body. This simply does not make sense.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16122
11/05/05 09:39 PM
11/05/05 09:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Right, back again....EGW's position has only been debated since after the 2nd World War. In the late 1930's F D Nichols (Review Editor-i-C; Editor of the Bible Commentary 1957) wrote in Answers to Objections that Adventists rightly taught Christ's assumption of our sinful humanity, so he insisted that the objection was correct!
Interesting, Colin, when you mentioned this, I verified my copy of Answers to Objections, which says "Copyright, 1932, 1947, 1952, by the Review and Herald Publishing Association". Responding to the charge that Adventists believe Christ's "sinful nature" to be also "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked" as all other human beings (Objection 94), Nichol states that "Christ, the 'last Adam,' possessed, on His human side, a nature like that the 'first man Adam,' a nature free from every defiling taint of sin, but capable of responding to sin..." (p. 393).
Was the answer different in 1932? If so Nichol must have changed his mind.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16123
11/05/05 09:46 PM
11/05/05 09:46 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
Hi, Colin, and welcome. The problem I see is how let's say, pride, or envy, can be in any way related to the body. This simply does not make sense.

G o o d question! : is it as simple as the difference between the sinful mind and the carnal mind?

Granted sinful attitudes are not physical, generally. So, bad attitudes are sourced in the carnal mind, which is enmity to God.

Sourcing pride or envy, etc., in the sinful mind spells the end of sinful human natures for partakers of Christ's divine Spirit, does it not? - see my previous post about your understanding rendering the saints with sinless human natures like their Saviour (speaking in the 3rd person), when the sinful mind defines the nature and is experientially crucified by faith....

That isn't Biblical, surely.

Colin

[ November 05, 2005, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Colin ]

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16124
11/05/05 10:21 PM
11/05/05 10:21 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
quote:
Interesting, Colin, when you mentioned this, I verified my copy of Answers to Objections, which says "Copyright, 1932, 1947, 1952, by the Review and Herald Publishing Association". Responding to the charge that Adventists believe Christ's "sinful nature" to be also "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked" as all other human beings (Objection 94), Nichol states that "Christ, the 'last Adam,' possessed, on His human side, a nature like that the 'first man Adam,' a nature free from every defiling taint of sin, but capable of responding to sin..." (p. 393).
Was the answer different in 1932? If so Nichol must have changed his mind.

I do beg his pardon: it was the 1952 edition I was quoting. But first, that the objection asserted us to hold Christ's humanity as conclusively "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked" was libellous of them, given our balanced understanding (which you haven't quoted yet, from my post).

Nichol's own position, sanctioned by the GC President of the time, asserted: "Christ won [over temptations] despite the fact that he took on him 'the likeness of sinful flesh', with all that that implies of the baleful and weakening effects of sin on the body and nervous system of man and its effects on his environment - 'can any good thing come out of Nazareth?'" (p. 393)

On 'sinful flesh', he wrote (in view of Calvinists adding to it what we do not: "Thus...we lay ourselves open to misunderstanding. True, we mean by that term simply that Christ 'took on him the seed of Abraham' and was made 'in the likeness of sinful flesh', but critics are not willing to believe this." (p.397)

The bit you quoted from Nichol about no defiling taint of sin merely excludes sinning, not a degraded nature.

Any author prior to 1952 you care to quote who won't take 'likeness of sinful flesh' as it reads?

Colin

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16125
11/05/05 11:22 PM
11/05/05 11:22 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
Granted sinful attitudes are not physical, generally. So, bad attitudes are sourced in the carnal mind, which is enmity to God.
But where were Jesus' "sinful propensities"? In His carnal mind?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16126
11/05/05 11:30 PM
11/05/05 11:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
quote:
The bit you quoted from Nichol about no defiling taint of sin merely excludes sinning, not a degraded nature.
He said Christ had a nature like that of "the first man Adam" - a degraded nature?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16127
11/05/05 11:59 PM
11/05/05 11:59 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
quote:
But where were Jesus' "sinful propensities"? In His carnal mind?
Clearly Jesus didn't develop a carnal mind..., though he was burdened with the option of a sinful mind. Nor did he have sinful propensities - you winding me up??

EGW's 'propensities' and 'tendencies' must agree with the Bible according to her intended meaning, not the Oxford dictionary. Tendencies are harmless unless opted for in the spiritual battle; propensities are developed by habitually opting for sin.

Whereas we may disagree over EGW's meaning, Rom 8:3 remains crystal clear. EGW can easily be found to agree with this and every Scripture, though.

Colin

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16128
11/06/05 12:24 AM
11/06/05 12:24 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
quote:
quote:
He said Christ had a nature like that of "the first man Adam" - a degraded nature?
Oh, we do have a good exchange going here [Animated Laughter] , though I can't stay much longer - midnight here, and I'm doing St John Ambulance first aid cover in the morning for a cross country run.

Sister White used the word degraded..., and Nichol used Rom 8:3...:sinful. Nichol's wording quoted by you must be the post-fall Adam. Given her 'degraded', and his 'sinful flesh', Nichol's phrase "like the first man Adam, a nature free from every defiling taint of sin, but capable of responding to sin..." must mean both sinful nature of fallen Adam and lack of sinning - "free from every defiling taint of sin", yet capable of falling to temptation....No defilement, but human and sinful.

What an example! The Second Adam in all the glory of God.

Colin

Page 23 of 39 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 10/22/24 02:32 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!