HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,071
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,341 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 39 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16129
11/06/05 12:29 AM
11/06/05 12:29 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I must hastily add. I hold to Jesus assuming sinful flesh not primarily for being my example, but primarily for being my Saviour. That's another topic, but it needed clarifying: Jesus as our Example is secondary at most in the reasons for taking our sinful humanity as his own.

Colin

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16130
11/06/05 12:54 AM
11/06/05 12:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is am important point you're bringing up Colin.
I agree with you thoughts.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16131
11/06/05 03:18 AM
11/06/05 03:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Originally posted by John Boskovic:
3. With what did Lucifer tempt them since they had no sinful flesh?
4. What is a sinful suggestion when you do not have sinful flesh?

3. His words.
4. A temptation.

As I see it, there are two basic sources of temptation - 1) sinful flesh nature, and 2) evil angels. The first originates inside of us and the second originates outside of us. Before the fall of mankind, we could be tempted from the outside only. But afterwards, we could be tempted from within and from without.

The orign and source of internally generated temptations is sinful flesh nature, which is neither the mind (thoughts) or the body (organs). They (i.e. temptations) are manifested through our organs and thoughts.

The origin and source of externally generated temptations is, essentially, evil angels. They are manifested through our sinful flesh nature via our mind and body.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16132
11/06/05 04:03 AM
11/06/05 04:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
By way of clarifiaction, evil humans can tempt as well as evil angels, can they not?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16133
11/06/05 01:11 PM
11/06/05 01:11 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

I think the subject of temptation deserves a thread of its own.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16134
11/06/05 08:20 PM
11/06/05 08:20 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Before "temptation" 'leaves' us on this thread, reiterating the explanation of Lucifer's fall into sin given in Patriarchs and Prophets is useful. Generally we avoid it as disagreement with it is not always noted by the listeners, it being an unrighteous notion.

Lucifer was initially confused about his status next to the Son of God given the similarity of their appearances in his mind. This confusion gave rise to the thought of possibly perfect similarity, and the notion of equality was conceived...only to be countered by the Father's personal and then public counsel that his Son was divine and equal with himself, and Lucifer as a creature was quite obviously excluded from equality. Lucifer's iniquity was to disregard this counsel.

Following his imagination was Lucifer's problem when it clashed with God's truth. Even the conception of that notion mentioned above wasn't sinful until it was exposed as sinful when cherished against revealed truth.

For ourselves, even after getting to heaven, thoughts of selfishness may well arise, but the sin of harbouring those thoughts shall not rise a second time afresh in God's universe.

Clearly Lucifer was wrong on two counts - thinking he could be equal with God's Son, and insisting on that thought, but only the second point was sinful, given his knowledge at that point.

God's will for his universe is simply that errant thoughts are nipped in the bud for being errant, as selfish. So, temptation is possible without any evil angels or wicked humans...

Colin

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16135
11/07/05 12:16 AM
11/07/05 12:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What happens to our sinful flesh nature when are born again (the title of this thread)?

I believe it remains to tempt us, the same as it did before we were born again. But, as born again believers we are dead to sin, self, and Satan, and, in Christ, we are free to sin or not to sin, free to act out or not to act out the unholy suggestions generated by our sinful flesh nature.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16136
11/07/05 12:47 AM
11/07/05 12:47 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Thanks Colin for bringing out the "imagination" side of things in your last post, as it compliments (makes up for what I am not covering in) the comments here in regards to "flesh".

On the topic of "sinful flesh nature"

The point about our understanding of “sinful flesh” or the more nebulous “sinful nature” is the division between flesh and spirit; the governmental position of these and the issue of sin, or the improper governing of these.

When God created man, He created him with physical and semi-physical capabilities as well as spiritual capabilities. To bring this to simple understanding of what is at stake in the transaction of sin, we need to understand where and what responsibility was placed by God.

Simply put if God wanted the responsibility to rest in the physical or semi-physical aspect, he could have easily done so. That is to say that if the matter of deciding whether something was or was not to be committed, lay in the physical nature, then God could have simply programmed the “flesh” so that when man would approach the forbidden tree, he would have been repulsed by let’s say the particular smell which his body chemistry would have been programmed to find repelling.

But such was not God’s design. God never designed man that he should live, being directed by the “flesh” regardless of the state it was in (pre-sin or post-sin). He did give man capabilities in the flesh, such as the five senses, etc. But these were only meant to be information communicators and not governing factors. Man was to be governed by the “word”. Thus God spoke to man and told him not to eat of the tree.

So what is it that transpired when man broke the governance of the “word”? He took it upon himself to listen to the flesh (he put his faith/ trust in his own physical senses). However God’s design was still in effect; and the word continues to be.

So the fallen nature has to do with our spirit being subject to the flesh by the wisdom of our faith trusting it. So the problem is not the flesh itself. The problem is our disposition to use it as source for governing. Hence the carnal mind. However the “word” is calling us to take our faith away from the body (flesh) and to place it in God where he designed it to be.

So simply put the problem is not in the flesh, but in the fact that we have subjected our spirit to it by faith. The gospel calls us to remove our faith from the “flesh” and to trust the “word”.

So that which is sinful, is not the flesh per say, but the “modus operandi” which has put the flesh as the governing source instead of the word. This has been done in our spirit by our will through faith. When one is born again, this “modus operandi” (state of faith) is ended and a new one established. Faith is removed from the flesh and placed in the “living word”.

So the “old sinful nature” “modus operandi” ceases to exist (crucified with Christ). The flesh remains, but that has never been the problem. The problem is and was its improper place in the order of governance which God never designed for it to have.

Luk 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

[ November 06, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: John Boskovic ]

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16137
11/07/05 03:10 AM
11/07/05 03:10 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16138
11/07/05 05:54 AM
11/07/05 05:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
So what is it that transpired when man broke the governance of the “word”? He took it upon himself to listen to the flesh (he put his faith/ trust in his own physical senses).
It wasn't just the flesh that man trusted in, but in the lie about God which the serpent told. The serpent led man to doubt that God had the best of interest of His cretures in mind, and instead led him to view Him in a false light; as arbitrary, harsh and severe. And so it is that even Christians (especially Christians, unfortunately, as evidenced by the monstrous idea that God would torture those who reject Him for all eternity) view God as arbitrary and His ways as arbitrary.

But they're not. The principles of God's law are the only principles which lead to life, and to act contrary to these principles is to bring about death, because the principles of life are the principles of unselfish, self-sacrificing love (partaking of the divine nature, as Rosangela would say), whereas the principles of death are the principles of putting self in first place.

Christ won the victory on our behalf by crucifying self, from the cradle to the grave. The carnal mind, the enmity, was abolished in Christ's flesh. By faith, we may be crucified with Christ, so that we no longer live (that is, "I"), but Christ lives in us; that is, our spirit is subject to God's spirit; our mind (or attitude) is the mind of Christ (to put the interests of others above our own, and to humble ourselves, even to the point of death); we trust in His justice, His righteous, other than our own.

As the Spirit of Prophecy puts it:

quote:
“When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness.” Christ’s Object Lessons, 312.

Page 24 of 39 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 10/22/24 02:32 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!