HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,071
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H), 2,335 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 39 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16159
11/17/05 04:10 AM
11/17/05 04:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, I agree that Jesus resisted the unholy clamorings, the sinful thoughts and feelings produced by His fallen flesh nature, not as an unconverted, unsaved sinner, but as a born again believer. Nevertheless, sinful flesh nature works the same way in both sinners and saints and Jesus alike. The difference is not in how it tempts humans, but in how humans react and respond to it.

John, I’m still not sure what you believe about holy flesh. I know you think my view is similar to holy flesh, but I’m still not clear about your view. By the way, I believe our sinful flesh nature will continue to bombard us with temptations, in the form of unholy thoughts and feelings, until the day Jesus returns and replaces it with a sinless one.

1. What is it about my view that reminds you of holy flesh?

2. What do you believe about sinful flesh nature?

3. Do you believe it generates and communicates, to our conscious mind, tempting unholy thoughts and feelings?

4. Or, do you believe they originate elsewhere?

5. Do you believe that, in Christ, internally generated tempting thoughts and feelings cease to enter our conscious mind?

6. Can Jesus be merely a guest, rather than master, in our hearts? Is there room for Satan and Jesus in our hearts? Can Jesus occupy a divided throne?

7. Also, is it negative, an inverse of the truth, to emphasize walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, to abide in Jesus, to partake of the divine nature – so that Jesus can 1) empower us to use our faculties of mind and body to recognize and resist the unholy thoughts and feelings produced by our fallen flesh nature, and 2) to grow in grace and knowledge, to mature in the fruits of the Spirit, to become more and more like Jesus?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16160
11/17/05 04:23 AM
11/17/05 04:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the average Christian is not even concerned about temptations. The majority are simply giving in, going along with the flow, putting up little or no resistance, and what little resistance they do produce is not of God, but of self, and the resulting fruits are, therefore, nothing but filthy rags of self-righteousness.

Do you agree?

Some of what John has posted had been a blessing to me. For instance, the way he talks about needing to govern ourselves in the same way Jesus did. But I'm not sure about his views regarding the role of sinful flesh nature after we are born again, about the presence of internally generated temptations. I, too, am concerned about John's view of the Holy Spirit, and the Trinity. A non-trinitarian view of Jesus and Holy Spirit has a negative impact upon these issues.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16161
11/16/05 08:26 PM
11/16/05 08:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, the average Christian is not even concerned about temptations. The majority are simply giving in, going along with the flow, putting up little or no resistance, and what little resistance they do produce is not of God, but of self, and the resulting fruits are, therefore, nothing but filthy rags of self-righteousness.

Do you agree?

I agree as to the effect, but not the cause. You state the problem is due to not resisting temptation, but I would say rather the cause is due to resisting God's Spirit. This isn't just a semantical difference, but a vital point to understand. If we resist the work of God's Spirit, then that will be manifest in a lack of ability to overcome temptations, but not resisting temptations is an effect, not a cause. The Spirit of Prophecy states that God will accomplish His purposes in us if we do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace. She also says the root of all sin is unbelief. So the cause is a lack of faith, i.e. not believing/trusting/responding in/to God. One of the effects is sin. Just as faith always results in works, unbelief always results in sin. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin, is another way of putting. The solution is understanding what faith is, and exercizing it.

Some of what John has posted had been a blessing to me. For instance, the way he talks about needing to govern ourselves in the same way Jesus did. But I'm not sure about his views regarding the role of sinful flesh nature after we are born again, about the presence of internally generated temptations. I, too, am concerned about John's view of the Holy Spirit, and the Trinity. A non-trinitarian view of Jesus and Holy Spirit has a negative impact upon these issues.

I'll have to read more of what he has to say. John wrote this:

quote:
Christ took on the same sinful flesh like you and I have. Christ took on the same faculties; physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual that you and I have. However, he did not govern them in the same way that the unconverted do. The means and ways of governance, that are his, are and always were available to every being.
I agree with this, and think it is well stated. It's also a very good point. John has a different way of expressing himself (which, of course, we all do). When I have understood what John is saying, I have found it to be in harmony with how I think to a great degree. Regarding the things I don't understand, I'll have to wait and see how the thoughts are developed to see if there's really a fundamental difference involved, or if it's merely a different form of expression.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16162
11/17/05 03:49 PM
11/17/05 03:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
You state the problem is due to not resisting temptation, but I would say rather the cause is due to resisting God's Spirit.
Actually, I believe it is both. That is, we get the power to resist internally and externally generated temptations from the Holy Spirit. It is we, not God, who resists temptations and develops Christlike traits of character.

COL 331
But Christ has given us no assurance that to attain perfection of character is an easy matter. A noble, all-round character is not inherited. It does not come to us by accident. A noble character is earned by individual effort through the merits and grace of Christ. God gives the talents, the powers of the mind; we form the character. It is formed by hard, stern battles with self. Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. We shall have to criticize ourselves closely, and allow not one unfavorable trait to remain uncorrected. {COL 331.1}

FW 48
In one way we are thrown upon our own energies; we are to strive earnestly to be zealous and to repent, to cleanse our hands and purify our hearts from every defilement; we are to reach the highest standard, believing that God will help us in our efforts. We must seek if we would find, and seek in faith; we must knock, that the door may be opened unto us. The Bible teaches that everything regarding our salvation depends upon our own course of action. If we perish, the responsibility will rest wholly upon ourselves. If provision has been made, and if we accept God's terms, we may lay hold on eternal life. We must come to Christ in faith, we must be diligent to make our calling and election sure. {FW 48.2}

FW 26
God has given men faculties and capabilities. God works and cooperates with the gifts He has imparted to man, and man, by being a partaker of the divine nature and doing the work of Christ, may be an overcomer and win eternal life. The Lord does not propose to do the work He has given man powers to do. Man's part must be done. He must be a laborer together with God, yoking up with Christ, learning His meekness, His lowliness. God is the all-controlling power. He bestows the gifts; man receives them and acts with the power of the grace of Christ as a living agent. {FW 26.1}

"Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies." You and I believe this conflict, the warfare against internal foes, will continue and intensify as we become and more like Jesus until the day He returns. John and Rosangela, on the other hand, believe otherwise. John seems to be saying that the mind and voice of our sinful flesh nature ceases to tempt us when wer'e born again, and Rosangela seems to be saying it gradually dies out after we are born again.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16163
11/17/05 08:11 PM
11/17/05 08:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
As John has pointed out, the ability to resist temptation is always present with us. This is because Jesus is always present, through His Spirit, to empower anyone who chooses to do His will to do so. The problem is not the power to resist, but the desire to do so.

If we respond to the revelation of God's love manifest through the cross, the result will be victory of sin. If we resist this drawing, we will be overcome.

Being overcome by temptation is a symptom of a deepr problem. The starting point, and continuing and ending point, is the apprehend the height and depth and length and breadth of God's love.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16164
11/17/05 11:01 PM
11/17/05 11:01 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
To me the most important issue is God's character. Man was lied to, believed the lie, and must be healed from that lie. Jesus Christ came to reveal the truth about God, and we are healed when we believe that truth. There is absolutely nothing arbitrary either about God, or His law, or His judgment, or the atonement, or anything God does.
Very true Tom,
The enemy has fairly successfully veiled this lie and diverted the issue to be all sorts of works.

P.S. I am working on a post regarding governmental structure of those created in the image of God; hope to post shortly.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16165
11/18/05 03:21 AM
11/18/05 03:21 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
John, I’m still not sure what you believe about holy flesh. I know you think my view is similar to holy flesh, but I’m still not clear about your view. By the way, I believe our sinful flesh nature will continue to bombard us with temptations, in the form of unholy thoughts and feelings, until the day Jesus returns and replaces it with a sinless one.
MM: 1. What is it about my view that reminds you of holy flesh?

John: Any concept that the body can make us free or captive to sin.

MM: 2. What do you believe about sinful flesh nature?

John: The Law of sin and death does not reside in the flesh, but in the spirit of fallen man, and as such must be and is overcome now by the Law of the spirit of life. The law of sin and death is ‘the modus operandi’ of the spirit of fallen man; in simple words, the subjection of the spirit to the flesh. Thus the flesh rules the spirit.

MM: 3. Do you believe it generates and communicates, to our conscious mind, tempting unholy thoughts and feelings?

John: The communication from the flesh is: a) indiscriminate, b) learned and practiced, c) responsive. The question whether such is tempting or unholy resides with the spirit.

MM: 4. Or, do you believe they originate elsewhere?

John: see above

MM: 5. Do you believe that, in Christ, internally generated tempting thoughts and feelings cease to enter our conscious mind?

John: The communication is always active between the body and our reason; whether it is tempting has to do with spirit.

MM: 6. Can Jesus be merely a guest, rather than master, in our hearts? Is there room for Satan and Jesus in our hearts? Can Jesus occupy a divided throne?

John: That is a good question. We can comment on that at length later. Parable: Consider stranger, then consider dating, then consider marriage.

MM: 7. Also, is it negative, an inverse of the truth, to emphasize walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, to abide in Jesus, to partake of the divine nature – so that Jesus can 1) empower us to use our faculties of mind and body to recognize and resist the unholy thoughts and feelings produced by our fallen flesh nature, and 2) to grow in grace and knowledge, to mature in the fruits of the Spirit, to become more and more like Jesus?

John: It is negative to be witch-hunting for unknown sins. It is negative to think that one could ever come to the bottom of that, and it is the opposite of: looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16166
11/18/05 06:02 AM
11/18/05 06:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
It is negative to be witch-hunting for unknown sins. It is negative to think that one could ever come to the bottom of that, and it is the opposite of: looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.
Amen!

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16167
11/19/05 04:39 AM
11/19/05 04:39 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, again, thank you. But the way you responded to my questions, the words you used, or whatever, still causes me to wonder what you believe about our 1) body and its role in character development, 2) mind and its role in character development, 3) willpower and its role in character development, and 4) sinful flesh nature and its role in character development.

Here's what makes sense to me:

1. Our body is seat of our lower powers, our appetites (physical needs) and passions (emotinal needs). It simply generates and communicates to our conscious mind our innocent and legitimate needs. It cannot sin or develop character.

2. Our mind is the seat of our higher powers, namely, reason, intellect, and conscience. It cannot sin or develop character.

3. Willpower governs the mind. It determines whether our mind is slave or master of our body. Depending on how we respond to various stimuli, we either develop sinful or sinless traits of character.

4. Sinful flesh nature is that part of us that intercepts the messages generated by our body and perverts them. We become aware of them as unholy thoughts and feelings. It can tempt us, but it cannot corrupt our character.

Do you agree? If not, what do you believe about each of these aspects and the role they play in character development.

Tom, what do you believe?

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16168
11/21/05 03:48 AM
11/21/05 03:48 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Christ was tempted by His desires every bit as much as we are. This is why it is said of Him, "Christ pleased not Himself."
Tom, because “Christ pleased not himself” he did not suffer those temptations. Christ was not double minded. Here are some principles taken from EW quotes that MM posted above.

quote:
"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh, with its affections and lusts; but the brutish part of your nature takes the lines of control and guides the spiritual. This is God's order reversed. {4T 365.3}

AG 321
To renounce their own will, perhaps their chosen object of affection or pursuit, requires an effort, at which many hesitate and falter and turn back. Yet this battle must be fought by every heart that is truly converted. We must war against temptations without and within. We must gain the victory over self, crucify the affections and lusts; and then begins the union of the soul with Christ.

Christ took on the same sinful flesh like you and I have. Christ took on the same faculties; physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual that you and I have. However, he did not govern them in the same way that the unconverted do. Christ’s order of governance was according to God’s order. Desire is a faculty that in and of itself can do nothing. It only becomes alive when something is given “value”. Value is programmed by the spirit of the person. (There were several occasions when Christ was subjected to these temptations (such as the wilderness, Gethsemane, and the cross.) In those occasions Christ would do nothing.)

In that Christ said “I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me”, he was not telling us here that he was struggling with his own will, but rather what his established position was. He was revealing to us the way of life; the way God meant us to be governed and the way he governs himself.

Page 27 of 39 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 10/22/24 02:32 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!