HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y), 2,288 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 39 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 38 39
Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16149
11/15/05 04:30 AM
11/15/05 04:30 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
The judgment just reveals what we are, doesn't it? That is, what is in us. So the answer is, yes, whatever is in us will appear in the judgment. The things we are unaware of because we haven't had light about them will not "count against us", but nevertheless have the effect of negatively impacting the work God has in mind for the 144,000.
Judgment!

Judgment according to "?"...

The righteousness according to faith.

The righteousness according to doubt.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16150
11/15/05 03:33 PM
11/15/05 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, your understanding of the system of salvation, the dynamics of temptation, lead me to wonder how Jesus could have been tempted in all points as we are. You seem to be saying that in Christ we cannot be tempted, that our lusts and affections are dead.

Here's what Sister White wrote about lusts and affections. Do you agree?

AH 127, 128
We are commanded to crucify the flesh, with the affections and lusts. How shall we do it? Shall we inflict pain on the body? No; but put to death the temptation to sin. The corrupt thought is to be expelled. Every thought is to be brought into captivity to Jesus Christ. All animal propensities are to be subjected to the higher powers of the soul. {AH 127.2}

4T 365
Ungovernable passion will not be subdued in a moment; but your lifework is before you to rid the garden of the heart of the poisonous weeds of impatience, faultfinding, and an overbearing disposition. "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh, with its affections and lusts; but the brutish part of your nature takes the lines of control and guides the spiritual. This is God's order reversed. {4T 365.3}

AG 321
To renounce their own will, perhaps their chosen object of affection or pursuit, requires an effort, at which many hesitate and falter and turn back. Yet this battle must be fought by every heart that is truly converted. We must war against temptations without and within. We must gain the victory over self, crucify the affections and lusts; and then begins the union of the soul with Christ. . . . After this union is formed, it can be preserved only by continual, earnest, painstaking effort. Christ exercises His power to preserve and guard this sacred tie, and the dependent, helpless sinner must act his part with untiring energy, or Satan by his cruel, cunning power will separate him from Christ. {AG 321.4}

4T 47
Some feel their need of the atonement, and with the recognition of this need, and the desire for a change of heart, a struggle begins. To renounce their own will, perhaps their chosen objects of affection or pursuit, requires an effort, at which many hesitate and falter and turn back. Yet this battle must be fought by every heart that is truly converted. We must war against temptations without and within. We must gain the victory over self, crucify the affections and lusts; and then begins the union of the soul with Christ. As the dry and apparently lifeless branch is grafted into the living tree, so may we become living branches of the True Vine. And the fruit which was borne by Christ will be borne by all His followers. After this union is formed, it can be preserved only by continual, earnest, painstaking effort. Christ exercises His power to preserve and guard this sacred tie, and the dependent, helpless sinner must act his part with untiring energy, or Satan by his cruel, cunning power will separate him from Christ. {5T 47.1}

Every Christian must stand on guard continually, watching every avenue of the soul where Satan might find access. He must pray for divine help and at the same time resolutely resist every inclination to sin. By courage, by faith, by persevering toil, he can conquer. But let him remember that to gain the victory Christ must abide in him and he in Christ. {5T 47.2}

5T 650
The enemy will seek to intrude himself even amid your religious exercises. Every avenue will need to be faithfully guarded lest selfishness and pride become interwoven with your work. If self has really been crucified, with the affections and lusts, the fruit will appear in good works to the glory of God. I entreat you, in the fear of God, not to let your works degenerate. Be consistent, symmetrical Christians. When the heart has given its affections to Christ, old things have passed away, and all things have become new. {5T 650.2}

UL 218
This the Word of God explicitly teaches, but the Lord cannot work in us to will and to do of His good pleasure unless we crucify self, with the affections and lusts, at every step. {UL 218.4}

AA 560, 561
So long as Satan reigns, we shall have self to subdue, besetting sins to overcome; so long as life shall last, there will be no stopping place, no point which we can reach and say, I have fully attained. Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience. {AA 560.3}

John, these quotes tell me that we can, in Christ, control our affections and lusts by resiting them, by bringing them into subjection to a sanctified mind and will, by maturing in the fruits of Spirit. But they also tell me that we cannot eliminate them, that we cannot tame them, that we cannot make them holy. In Christ we can and will refuse to act out them, but we cannot get rid of them.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16151
11/15/05 03:47 PM
11/15/05 03:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
It's an interesting point you bring up about a cleansing going on throughout eternity. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think the way you put it is valid, and glad you mentioned it, as it gives me food for thought.
Great. Sister White wrote that the path to perfection is infinite, that it continues throughout eternity. It's an advancement from one stage of perfection to another. From faith to faith, from grace to grace, from glory to glory - more and more unto the perfect day. Obviously, therefore, it cannot include finding and crucifying new and unknown defective traits of character, at least not in heaven or the new earth.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16152
11/15/05 08:04 PM
11/15/05 08:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, of course perfection and growth go on throughout eternity. It was thinking of it terms of cleansing that was a new thought to me.

John wrote, "Your questions MM lead and think in terms of the inverse and that is negative to eternal life." I see this too. We need to consider the whole picture of course, but the good news of God's character should outshine all else. It's as we behold the goodness of God that we are changed into the same image.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16153
11/15/05 08:13 PM
11/15/05 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In James 1 where it talks about temptation, the word "lust" is simply the word "desire". If you look at the NJKV, for example, you will see it is translated "desire" rather than the archaic "lust", which has a negative connotation to us which it didn't when the KJV was written.

As we are tempted because we are drawn of our own desires, so was Christ. Christ took our nature, and was tempted as we are tempted. James defines how human beings are tempted, and that definition must apply to Christ as well, or He could not have been tempted in any point as we are tempted, let alone all.

The victory Christ provided for us was by crucifiction. Christ crucified self by denying Himself throughout His whole life. He "please not Himself." He sought not His own will, but the will of His Father. It was by His self-denial, leading all the way to death, even the death of the cross, that He abolished the enmity in His flesh, which is our flesh. We achieve victory by being crucified with Christ. We do nothing which Christ has not done before; in fact, anythin we do is only possible because Christ has opened the door.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16154
11/16/05 12:26 AM
11/16/05 12:26 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree. There needs to be a balance, but when one side is emphasized to the exclusion of the other, it is needful to correct the imbalance. Like emphasizing the sabbath above the other commandments because the rest of the world is falling for the Sunday. I am beginning to suspect that John's views are eerily similar to holy flesh.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16155
11/16/05 12:41 AM
11/16/05 12:41 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
John, your understanding of the system of salvation, the dynamics of temptation, lead me to wonder how Jesus could have been tempted in all points as we are. You seem to be saying that in Christ we cannot be tempted, that our lusts and affections are dead.
MM, it seems more of interest to you that Christ was altogether like a sinner is, than that we are to be like him. So what you are proposing is that Christ needs to have governed himself in the ways and manner of this world, and then fight in the manner of this world with himself, resisting temptation. That is not what the gospel is about.

Christ took on the same sinful flesh like you and I have. Christ took on the same faculties; physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual that you and I have. However, he did not govern them in the same way that the unconverted do. The means and ways of governance, that are his, are and always were available to every being. The fact that fallen man governs himself amiss and not the way Christ is governed and therefore suffer resulting temptation and sin, does not mean that he needs to govern himself along their foolish ways in order to save them. Satan really hoped that Christ would buy into that idea and that by some means he would cause him to govern himself according to the ways of this world.

I have been talking about the way of governing of Christ.

quote:
In James 1 where it talks about temptation, the word "lust" is simply the word "desire".
That is very true, Tom. However, this is even more difficult for people to accept. Most can reckon that lust is wrong, but not many can see that there is anything wrong with their desires. Not that the faculty of desire is wrong, but giving it improper governmental position is what causes temptation. So when it says they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts, it means no more that the faculty of desire has been crucified, as that the flesh is physically crucified. But what it does mean is that all governmental authority has been removed from them and given to Christ.

People like to be “Christians” and at the same time retain all the worldly (religious) governmental structure. This has nothing to do with the way of Christ.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16156
11/16/05 12:51 AM
11/16/05 12:51 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
I am beginning to suspect that John's views are eerily similar to holy flesh.
How interesting! According to my recollection, it was MM who said that "holy flesh"(body) was needed before we can be free from sin in the thread of Romans 7.

I remember contesting that point, and standing on the position that the flesh is of no consequence, but that it is the spirit that counts.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16157
11/16/05 01:01 AM
11/16/05 01:01 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
I wonder how this lines up with your "holy flesh" idea.

quote:
MM: Also, when we invite Jesus into the house of our hearts and minds, what kind of cleaning is left for Him to do? Are there closets of unknown sins that have yet to be discovered and revealed to us?
Again these questions are thinking in terms of the inverse which never brings righteousness. It is the way Satan would like us to look at things. By searching for potential unknown sins, we will never in a million years even begin to come to satisfaction. In fact we will become more and more cynical. It is called doubt and accusation. It is exactly these insinuations of potential sins which Satan leveled against Job. So if we think in terms of potential or hidden sins, we think according to the principles of Satan. The thought of potential sins is rooted in doubt and accusation. Let us never think that Christ ever thinks or works according to these principles.

God’s way is the way of faith and trust. The position of the child of God is that of:

2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

God’s way is the way of life, it is uplifting, it is sanctifying, it is glorifying. Where there is goodwill, there is no illwill. Where there is faith there is no doubt. Where there is love there is no hate. So the cleansing is from sin to righteousness; from thinking in terms of sin to thinking in terms of righteousness.

Great is thy faithfulness oh God my Father!

The question was whether Jesus is in the house as guest or master.

Re: What happens to our sinful flesh nature when we are born again? #16158
11/16/05 07:42 AM
11/16/05 07:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, it appears to me that John and I view most things very, very similarly. He has a different way (to me) of expressing himself, so I need to be patient to understand what he is saying. But, for example, his thoughts about our rightesousness vs. God's righteousness are I find to be both profound and completely correct.

To me the most important issue is God's character. Man was lied to, believe the lie, and must be healed from that lie. Jesus Christ came to reveal the truth about God, and we are healed when we believe that truth. There is absolutely nothing arbitrary either about God, or His law, or His judgment, or the atonement, or anything God does.

I think John would agree with me on these points.

We seem to be disagreeing some on the points we are discussing here, but they are to my mind minor compared to the others, and I'm not completely sure we're not in harmony. I'd like to ask some more questions, and find out what he really means.

I agreed with this sentiment that you seem to dwell on the negative rather than the positive.

Well, to my question for John.

quote:
Not that the faculty of desire is wrong, but giving it improper governmental position is what causes temptation.
This would seem to imply that temptation comes as a result of sin, because improper governing our desires is sin. Given that Christ never sinned, He would never have been tempted as we are, according to how James defines temptation.

I believe that Jesus was tempted in exactly the way that James lays out. The difference between Christ and us is not in how He was tempted, but in the fact that He never yielded to temptation.

Christ was tempted by His desires every bit as much as we are. This is why it is said of Him, "Christ pleased not Himself."

Well, I guess I didn't ask a question, did I? So my question would be if you disagree with what I've written here?

It appears to me that you are emphasizing not Christ's human nature, which you have affirmed is like ours, but different issues. I agree with how you see Romans 7 and 8, and the gospel in general. I agree also with your thoughts regarding the spirit, faith, the flesh, etc. although I would use different language.

One other thing I'm not clear about is your thoughts about the Holy Spirit, but that would probably be better treated on another thread.

Your thought about God guiding us with His eye has been a great blessing to me.

Page 26 of 39 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!