HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 102 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Johann] #161747
02/13/14 11:13 PM
02/13/14 11:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Johann
I want to change the approach. Are there other possibilities of looking at this, MM? Would you be willing to spend an hour a day at the foot of the cross (my words) and contemplate. See how sin killed the Son of God that you may live.

Why did Jesus cry out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Then spend another half hour contemplating the meaning of 1 Tim. 6:11-16: 2 Tim. 1:8-14.

God does not impose a painful death on His dying children, but gives them, through Jesus Christ, a living access to God,"who alone has immortality."

"For God so loved the world. . ."

Johan, thank you for the excellent suggestion. I'm semi-retired and spend about 5 hours a day hiking while listening to the Bible and SOP on an iPod. "Faith cometh by hearing . . . the word of God." I've been doing this for about 14 years. One thing is clear:

Exodus
34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation].

Revelation
14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive [his] mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: kland] #161750
02/13/14 11:23 PM
02/13/14 11:23 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
"a most painful death"

Did God torture Him?

Oh, wait, do I see you did say that. But Ellen White did not.

Don't suppose that will make a difference to your opinion....

Ellen White used the phrase "a most painful death." That did not come from me. I did use quotation marks, and the post should be clear--so I'm not sure how you are managing to avert your eyes from the truth.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Green Cochoa] #161756
02/14/14 12:28 AM
02/14/14 12:28 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Johann
God does not impose a painful death on His dying children, but gives them, through Jesus Christ, a living access to God,"who alone has immortality."

"For God so loved the world. . ."

While many of us may die in peace, God did impose a painful death on the Son of God.

"He bore insult and mockery, and a most painful death in the most shameful manner, in order that he might exalt and save the fallen sons and daughters of Adam from hopeless misery." -- Ellen White.

In another statement Mrs. White tells us that "for our sakes he endured the most ignominious and most painful death which it was possible for mortals to experience; a death which was appropriate for the basest of criminals was that which the Lord of Glory suffered to ransom guilty man."

Our ransom required such a death as Jesus suffered.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

So, where will you go from there, Green?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Johann] #161764
02/14/14 01:06 AM
02/14/14 01:06 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: kland
"a most painful death"

Did God torture Him?

Oh, wait, do I see you did say that. But Ellen White did not.

Don't suppose that will make a difference to your opinion....

Ellen White used the phrase "a most painful death." That did not come from me. I did use quotation marks, and the post should be clear--so I'm not sure how you are managing to avert your eyes from the truth.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
Where does EGW say God inflicted the "most painful death"? Yes, Christ suffered a most painful death, but how was God involved exactly?

"Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face".

The hiding of the face. Where have you read that before? Oh - all over the Old Testament! Deuteronomy, Job, Psalms, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Micah. What killed the Son of God? Answer: SIN.

"Cease to cherish and excuse sin; for sin caused the death of the Son of God."
{GW92 466.2} "The sacrificial offerings were ordained by God to be to man a perpetual reminder and a penitential acknowledgment of his sin and a confession of his faith in the promised Redeemer. They were intended to impress upon the fallen race the solemn truth that it was sin that caused death." {PP 68.1}

Wait!! Sin causes death? Not God? That is correct. And it is Bibical? YES!

"Keep before the people the cross of Calvary. Show what caused the death of Christ--the transgression of the law."
{6T 54.1}

Wait!! Transgression of the law causes the death? (ie sin) Not God? Correct!

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #161765
02/14/14 01:20 AM
02/14/14 01:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Wait!! Sin causes death? Not God? That is correct. And it is Bibical? YES!

You are gravely in error.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
At the general conference of believers in the present truth, held at Sutton, Vermont, September, 1850, I was shown that the seven last plagues will be poured out after Jesus leaves the sanctuary. Said the angel, "It is the wrath of God and the Lamb that causes the destruction or death of the wicked. At the voice of God the saints will be mighty and terrible as an army with banners, but they will not then execute the judgment written. The execution of the judgment will be at the close of the one thousand years." {EW 52.1}

By your statement, in comparison with Mrs. White's testimony, quoting a holy angel, you would force us to believe that God's wrath is sin.

You are wrong. God's wrath is not sinful, nor is it sin. There is not a particle of sin in God.

It grieves me that you would misrepresent God as being sinful in doing what He will do--cause the destruction of the wicked. That is Satan's claim. Satan wants us to believe that God is not justified in carrying out the death sentence upon transgressors of the Divine law. But not only is God justified in doing this, He has redeemed His right to such justice by the death of Jesus, and has been merciful beyond any requirement in His law to delay the execution of His justice as long as He has. It is this very mercy that is a wonder to the watching universe. When His justice finally comes, we are told that all will say "Amen."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Green Cochoa] #161771
02/14/14 03:27 AM
02/14/14 03:27 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
God wrath - what is it?
Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 1:24 Why God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:

Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up to vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

God's wrath is exactly as EGW has said it was in {GC 36.1}. God is not the executioner. When divine forbearance is reached, God gives the sinner up, lets them go, and yes, all hell breaks loose. Sin pays its wage. You falsely accuse me of believing that sinners do not parish. The real cause of death is sin, not God. We have so much evidence in scripture.

Sin: I know God is not a killer/murder, the only one accusing God of sin is who, me? Nope.

Though they professed to know and to worship the true and living God, they wholly misrepresented him and his character as revealed in his Son. Christ labored constantly to sweep away those misrepresentations, that the confidence of men in the love of God might be restored. {AU Gleaner, June 9, 1909 par. 5}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #161776
02/14/14 04:01 AM
02/14/14 04:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, it is fruitless for you to explain your view since you refuse to confess Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. If you cannot confess the obvious, who in their right mind will believe anything you say?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #161777
02/14/14 04:13 AM
02/14/14 04:13 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
God must punish murderers. He gives life, and He will take life, if that life becomes a terror and a menace (MS 126, 1901).

I think that quote both answers the thread question and the question about God's taking life.

As the old saying goes, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away." He who gave life has the power to remove it. Not only so, but He does.

There's a hidden truth in the following:

It was to impress Abraham's mind with the reality of the gospel, as well as to test his faith, that God commanded him to slay his son.

If Abraham's sacrifice of his son Isaac was but a type for a future Sacrifice, why didn't God tell Abraham that his son would "self destruct," or be killed by a lion/wolf/serpent to represent Satan's involvement or destruction by sin? Why was Abraham himself commanded to kill his son?

The same God who would, for the good of mankind, slay His own Son, would also, for the good of the universe, destroy all who willfully reject His salvation and continue in rebellion and disobedience.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Green Cochoa] #161778
02/14/14 04:40 AM
02/14/14 04:40 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Sigh - - God is not the executioner. When a sinner's limit is reached, what does God do, kill the sinner? No, He leaves the sinner, and allows the sinner to reap that which they have sown. Without God's intervention, sin will destroy the sinner.

Guess which quote of EGW I am using.

And NO - God did not Slay His own son.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #161783
02/14/14 09:57 AM
02/14/14 09:57 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Hebrews 12:2-3

King James Version (KJV)

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Sinners opposed Jesus at the cross. What does that mean?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Page 60 of 102 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!