HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 68 of 102 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #162952
03/05/14 04:53 AM
03/05/14 04:53 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL, in post #162918, uses quotes of Mrs. White referring to those who misquote scripture, take it out of context, or put a vague or fanciful interpretation to it. He implies that I have abused scripture by quoting such passages. In rebuttal, let me say the following:

1) I presented no interpretation. I quoted the Bible only.
2) I presented an entire verse, and did not, as Mrs. White was used to say, skip anything or quote just half of it.
3) The fuller context does nothing to alleviate the situation for APL.

Here it is:

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible, Exodus
Chapter 15

15:1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
15:2 The LORD [is] my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he [is] my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.
15:3 The LORD [is] a man of war: the LORD [is] his name.
15:4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.
15:5 The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone.
15:6 Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.
15:7 And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, [which] consumed them as stubble.
15:8 And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, [and] the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.
15:9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.
15:10 Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them: they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
15:11 Who [is] like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who [is] like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful [in] praises, doing wonders?
15:12 Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.
15:13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people [which] thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided [them] in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.
15:14 The people shall hear, [and] be afraid: sorrow shall take hold on the inhabitants of Palestina.
15:15 Then the dukes of Edom shall be amazed; the mighty men of Moab, trembling shall take hold upon them; all the inhabitants of Canaan shall melt away.
15:16 Fear and dread shall fall upon them; by the greatness of thine arm they shall be [as] still as a stone; till thy people pass over, O LORD, till the people pass over, [which] thou hast purchased.
15:17 Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, [in] the place, O LORD, [which] thou hast made for thee to dwell in, [in] the Sanctuary, O Lord, [which] thy hands have established.
15:18 The LORD shall reign for ever and ever.
15:19 For the horse of Pharaoh went in with his chariots and with his horsemen into the sea, and the LORD brought again the waters of the sea upon them; but the children of Israel went on dry [land] in the midst of the sea.
15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
15:21 And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

God won that war against the Egyptians. (He also won the war in Heaven against Satan and his host.) smile The women and people were singing the praises of the Conqueror in the passage above.

Just two chapters later, God speaks of warring again:

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible
17:16 For he said, Because the LORD hath sworn [that] the LORD [will have] war with Amalek from generation to generation.

God encourages the people to war against their enemies, knowing that God will help and save them from their enemies.

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible, Numbers
10:9 And if ye go to war in your land against the enemy that oppresseth you, then ye shall blow an alarm with the trumpets; and ye shall be remembered before the LORD your God, and ye shall be saved from your enemies.

Perhaps there was a book of "wars of the Lord," or perhaps this following passage refers to the Bible itself.

21:14 Wherefore it is said in the book of the wars of the LORD, What he did in the Red sea, and in the brooks of Arnon,
21:15 And at the stream of the brooks that goeth down to the dwelling of Ar, and lieth upon the border of Moab.

Furthermore, God asked Moses to lead the people in avenging Him of Midian.

31:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
31:2 Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites: afterward shalt thou be gathered unto thy people.
31:3 And Moses spake unto the people, saying, Arm some of yourselves unto the war, and let them go against the Midianites, and avenge the LORD of Midian.
31:4 Of every tribe a thousand, throughout all the tribes of Israel, shall ye send to the war.
31:5 So there were delivered out of the thousands of Israel, a thousand of [every] tribe, twelve thousand armed for war.
31:6 And Moses sent them to the war, a thousand of [every] tribe, them and Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, to the war, with the holy instruments, and the trumpets to blow in his hand.
31:7 And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males.

Oh....and remember that verse most of us learned as children that says, "be sure your sin will find you out"? Check out its context!

32:20 And Moses said unto them, If ye will do this thing, if ye will go armed before the LORD to war,
32:21 And will go all of you armed over Jordan before the LORD, until he hath driven out his enemies from before him,
32:22 And the land be subdued before the LORD: then afterward ye shall return, and be guiltless before the LORD, and before Israel; and this land shall be your possession before the LORD.
32:23 But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.

In other words, when God commanded the people to fight, they were guiltless for carrying out His command--but SINNED if they did not!

Once again we see that God's commands represent His will. God says what He means, and He means what He says!

Joshua chapter 8 shows how God blessed as the people smote Ai with the edge of the sword, killing over 12,000 in a day. Many other stories in the Bible show how God blessed and either Himself destroyed Israel's enemies (e.g. Sennacherib's 185,000 in a night), or helped Israel destroy her enemies (e.g. Jericho).

In leading Israel to battle, Joshua was but following God's instructions. Had he not done so, had he not warred against Israel's enemies, it would have been sin for him and them.

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible
So Joshua took the whole land, according to all that the LORD said unto Moses; and Joshua gave it for an inheritance unto Israel according to their divisions by their tribes. And the land rested from war. (Joshua 11:23)

David speaks of how God taught him to fight and war.

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible, Psalms
144:1 [A Psalm] of David. Blessed [be] the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, [and] my fingers to fight:

Isaiah says God will win in war.

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible, Isaiah
42:13 The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.

Jesus also told His disciples to buy a sword if they didn't have one.

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible, Luke
22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here [are] two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

"For I am not come to send peace, but a sword."

If God were only about peace, why would Jesus say a thing like that? Certainly, God does love peace. But sometimes war is needed before peace can come.

I'm reminded of something said in the Thai national anthem: roughly translated/interpreted, it is this: "Thais love peace, but not to the point of lacking courage to fight." This is what I see our Christian ethic to be. We love peace, but we are not afraid to fight, when such is necessary. If God commands it, we must be prepared to obey-- whether that war involves physical or spiritual realms.

Does God punish? "For whom the Lord loveth, he correcteth." "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten." "The LORD cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity." "Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, I will punish them...."

Selah,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #162975
03/05/14 04:39 PM
03/05/14 04:39 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - take the context of the whole. Jeremiah 7:22-24 For I spoke not to your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: 23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people: and walk you in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well to you. 24 But they listened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

Who wanted to fight? The people did. God never commanded them to go up and fight and take the land by warfare. But they would not listen. They went backwards, not forwards. A PP says, it was NEVER God's purpose that they take the land by warfare. But they refused over and over and over.

Christians are never to fight and that includes self-defense. Obviously the Thai anthem is not Christian but pagan, for that is what pagans do.

And HOW do the workers of iniquity receive punishment by God? Read again GC36 and GC589. The truth is clear, and hard for most to accept because they cling to self.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #162976
03/05/14 04:58 PM
03/05/14 04:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, nice work. That's what Bible study looks like. Thank you.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #162977
03/05/14 05:10 PM
03/05/14 05:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, you force everything to fit one model - withdraw and permit principle of punishment. The Bible, however, describes several other forms of punishment. You also refuse to confess Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. You have never stated your position plainly.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #162980
03/05/14 05:46 PM
03/05/14 05:46 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
APL, you force everything to fit one model - withdraw and permit principle of punishment. The Bible, however, describes several other forms of punishment. You also refuse to confess Jesus commanded capital punishment and war. You have never stated your position plainly.
The Bible speaks the model I have said as does EGW. All other aspects are God's permissive will for the blinded people that refuse to understand and walk in His ways. As I have said before and you refuse to see or understand about divorce. God hates divorce. But in God's permissive will, he gave rules for divorce. On divorce, have you read Ezra and Nehemiah recently??? God NEVER wanted the people to fight their way in to the promised land. EGW confirms. You deny. How can we get beyond this impasse? If you believe that God wanted the people to fight their way into the promised land, then you will believe that fighting is the way to go so all fighting is God's desire. So when the people fight, and God gives direction, it becomes God desire and not His permissive will as in divorce.

EGW is so clear on this. Read GC35-GC37 and Read GC589. It is stated plainly and clearly. Yet, you reject it. I cannot convince you and it is not my roll to do so.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Green Cochoa] #162982
03/05/14 06:35 PM
03/05/14 06:35 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa - Abusing Holy Scripture
"For I am not come to send peace, but a sword."

Papacy: Kill 'em!

Followers: But shouldn't we try to convert them?

Papacy: But Jesus said, "For I am not come to send peace, but a sword."

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Johann] #162985
03/05/14 06:58 PM
03/05/14 06:58 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Johann
Johann, do you agree with Kland that "Jesus commanded murdering men, women, and children"? If so, please answer the question - Would it have been a sin to obey that command?

Yes, I have not been called to be a hangman/executioner.

Yes, it would have been sin to obey God's command? While I disagree that God ever commands us to commit sin, it's refreshing to see that there is one person on your side of this theological fence who is willing to state his belief.

I wonder if kland and APL will ever choose between "God commanded people to commit sin" and "God did not command murder." Or maybe they will choose another option like "murder is not always sin." But it looks like the edifice is crumbling, and the only way to slow the crash is to avoid the question. Instead of clarity, I foresee more vehemence.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #162987
03/05/14 07:21 PM
03/05/14 07:21 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Sickness, suffering, and death are work of an antagonistic power. Satan is the destroyer; God is the restorer. {MH 113.1}

Death - an antagonistic power. Is that God? Nope.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #162997
03/06/14 03:09 AM
03/06/14 03:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: APL
So when the people fight, and God gives direction, it becomes God desire and not His permissive will as in divorce.

It sounds like you're saying God commanded capital punishment and combat but it is His permissive will and not His desire. He commanded it because they demanded it. Did I hear you correctly?

Was it a sin to obey His command to execute capital punishment and to wage war?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163001
03/06/14 05:31 AM
03/06/14 05:31 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
So when the people fight, and God gives direction, it becomes God desire and not His permissive will as in divorce.

It sounds like you're saying God commanded capital punishment and combat but it is His permissive will and not His desire. He commanded it because they demanded it. Did I hear you correctly?

Was it a sin to obey His command to execute capital punishment and to wage war?
MM - since your memory seems to be blinded as is your perception of the truth about God, and you are in good company for we all see through a glass darkly, shall I quote for you what I posted months ago for you? I will:

"But the children of Israel did fight throughout all their natural existence, and under God's direction, too," it will be urged. That is very true, but it does not at all prove that it was God's purpose that they should fight. We must not forget that "their minds were blinded" by unbelief, so that they could not perceive the purpose of God for them. They did not grasp the spiritual realities of the kingdom of God, but were content with shadows instead; and the same God who bore with their hardness of heart in the beginning, and strove to teach them by shadows, when they would not have the substance, still remained with them, compassionately considerate of their infirmities. God himself suffered them, because of the hardness of their hearts, to have a plurality of wives, and even laid down rules regulating polygamy, in order to diminish as far as possible the resulting evils, but that does not prove that He designed it for them. We well know that "from the beginning it was not so." So when Jesus forbade His followers to fight in any cause whatever, He introduced nothing new, any more than when He taught that a man should have but one wife, and should cleave to her as long as he lived. He was simply enunciating first principles--preaching a thorough reformation.

God did not design that the people should do any fighting. He led them through the wilderness, in order that they might not see war. Yet He knew that if they went the way that they did, the Egyptians would surely pursue them. The children of Israel never had any greater need of fighting than they did when the Egyptians closed in on them by the Red Sea; yet the word then was, "The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."

It may be said that the reason why the Lord did not wish them to see war was because they were as yet unprepared for fighting; but we must remember that on other occasions when they had many trained warriors, God often delivered them without their striking a blow. When we consider the circumstances of their deliverance from Egypt--how it was all accomplished by the direct power of God, without any human power, their part being only to follow and obey His word--we must be convinced that it was not according to the plan of God that they should do any fighting, even in self-defense.

I am quoting nothing new here. I have quoted it before. We are NOT to fight, kill, or even use the sword in self-defense. Do you not remember any of this?

God's people were NEVER supposed to fight. They were not to have a plurality of wives. Rahab was praised for lying! Do not think it is right to lie!

As EGW writes, So terribly blinded had they become by transgression. The Lord had never commanded them to "go up and fight." It was not His purpose that they should gain the land by warfare... Add to this how it is that God "punishes", God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. And: Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah; and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some in order to further his own designs, and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them.

Your idea that God causes sickness, disease and death is totally and completely unfounded. God is the restorer and Satan is the destroyer. If God were "a destroyer", then Satan could not be "the destroyer". God's commands when the people rejected the leading of God which was most of the time, were to minimize the damage. But the statutes if they continued in them would lead to their own death and destruction. Those that kills by the sword, will be killed by the sword. David was rewarded for all his killing how? By not being allowed to build God's house. 1 Chronicles 22:8 But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight. That is a striking endorsement for war.

Page 68 of 102 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!